IT.COM

Poll for Name Protection Product Concept

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which brands do you prefer for protecting your domain from loss or impairment?

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
I previously invited input for a new brand name for a product/service that protects domain owners from unforeseen risks and provides optional insurance against economic loss. The concept was introduced here.

After a few days of reviewing domain submissions, we now have a screened list of prospects for this project and are looking for some input on name selection before making a final decision.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't really help that you've posted too many names for anyone to keep up with, most of them worse than the top choices ... HOWEVER .. both VettedNames and VettedDomains are at least linguistically usable ..
Wow, please don't hold back with the unnecessary harshness anytime soon but seriously...

I imagine that there will be competing services so feel free to mention any names in the comments as competing groups will very likely find this thread when scouting names.
I was just doing what Rob said to do.

My goal here has several parts. First, to of course offer up what I have but equally important at least to me is to encourage ideas and get feedback. Doing that I truly believe will help get a much better overall result for everyone.

To make it simple, when someone posts new domains, it inspires others to look harder and maybe just maybe they will find a gem.

•••
Ok, I am the owner of Assurer.

Hey .. I never said it was bad .. zero animosity at all from me! It's a good name .. the phonetics aren't great .. but most certainly the $$$ power behind the meaning could vastly overweight that factor.

It's true that I might have assumed too much into the likely pricing .. but if you're going to sell it as a part of this contest, then you'll likely be (vastly) underselling it anyways.

With regards to this project it might be actually too broad in scope .. meaning that much of the value in the name goes far beyond what a domain insurance service could extract from it. On a value basis, I'd think NameSeal (or some of the others) for this specific project would be just as effective (for a fraction the price)

Have to say that it doesn't help that @Rob Monster didn't post a budget (get on that Rob .. lol) .. I somewhat assumed it was in the same step with the previous ones .. given that, Assurer really doesn't fall in that I assumed was the budget.

•••
What do you guys think of Surely Secure ?

•••
Last edited:
•••
What do you guys think of Surely Secure ?
I would flip it with better branding, and go with SecureSure.com if that was the keywords I was married too. Surely is not a heavily utilized keyword when it comes to branding.

Last edited:
•••
I would flip it with better branding, and go with SecureSure.com if that was the keywords I was married too. Surely is not a heavily utilized keyword when it comes to branding.
So you say that order is better?

•••
Wow, please don't hold back with the unnecessary harshness anytime soon but seriously...

Sigh .. sorry .. it just really bothers me that the bad version of VettedName has gotten 62+ blind votes! I did say that the 2 of yours were better! ;) lol

But that being said .. soooo many domains significantly worse than the (real) top names in this thread have been suggested, that it's gotten to the point where some of the legitimately better (unlisted) ones just got lost in the crowd.

I'd suggest Rob go through and pull out some of the better ones and remake a poll dropping the lower quality and adding the new ones .. but as I mentioned above .. I don't really see the point of polls anymore from this point forward where real money is involved.

Last edited:
•••
I voted for DNprotect & NameSeal.

And here's my submission:
Protectiono.com

147333_3d20b9c31d678f7ee702efde121e573a.jpg

147334_db96d5af4a9993a8e1e2b447ca90694b.jpg

Rob suggested me to post in this thread to see if people like the name. Guys, feel free to share your input :xf.wink:

•••
Sigh .. sorry .. it just really bothers me that the bad version of VettedName has gotten 62+ blind votes! I did say that the 2 of yours were better! ;) lol

But that being said .. soooo many domains significantly worse than the (real) top names in this thread have been suggested, that it's gotten to the point where some of the legitimately better (unlisted) ones just got lost in the crowd.

I'd suggest Rob go through and pull out some of the better ones and remake a poll dropping the lower quality and adding the new ones .. but as I mentioned above .. I don't really see the point of polls where real money is involved.

Yup, a poll of finalists coming. Just going through all the PMs and checking some prices. The official budget is $1000 but we may go to $5000+ for the right one. We certainly have some winners. The input from this thread has been off the charts good.

•••
Yup, a poll of finalists coming. Just going through all the PMs and checking some prices. The official budget is $1000 but we may go to $5000+ for the right one. We certainly have some winners. The input from this thread has been off the charts good.

Why the poll? Your team seams to have a good grasp of what will make the best brand for this project. Why not wait for the right time when you have the budget to get the absolutely best domain?

Last edited:
•••
By the way, if there is any appetite for short acronym:

UDNP/com

Ultimate Domain Name Protection

•••
Why the poll? Your team seams to have a good grasp of what will make the best brand for this project. Why not wait for the right time when you have the budget to get the absolutely best domain?

I think Rob believes in engaging people. He views NP as an important platform to engage target audience for many of his projects, including epik, and gauge their thinking. Exciting the core, being visible etc. are important here and he is a rare breed that understands all these.

He mentioned that he started at P&G and that is the best university for that kind of thinking. I worked for P&G myself and it is one of the best schools I have ever had in my life.

•••
I think Rob believes in engaging people. He views NP as an important platform to engage target audience for many of his projects, including epik, and gauge their thinking. Exciting the core, being visible etc. are important here and he is a rare breed that understands all these.

He mentioned that he started at P&G and that is the best university for that kind of thinking. I worked for P&G myself and it is one of the best schools I have ever had in my life.

That's it -- co-creation.

I think what also come out of this is people learn from other experts about what to look for in a name. I am also giving a lot of private feedback in response to PMs though it makes for rather long days.

The process we ran for FullVenue.com, which led to us selecting @Ategy.com's domain was a good example.

We also bought Armored.net, SignDeck.com, Toki.com, TrustRatings.com, Us.Tv and Watchmask.com, all here through various invitations for submissions, sometimes with polls.

Of course anyone could do this assuming they are prepared to follow through with a purchase.

The NamePros community could play a more active role in helping end-users find suitable domains. The talent is certainly here. The format is just more "open source" versus Squadhelp.

The steep rise of Squadhelp is telling -- end-users are going there and the domain name is a modestly priced accessory rather than an integral and strategic starting point:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/squadhelp.com

We are planning a next phase for the Epik domain marketplace:

https://marketplace.epik.com/

This is an increasingly fine marketplace -- integrating a lot of inventory types. However, to appeal to retail buyers, I definitely think we can take some pages from the SquadHelp playbook.

As noted elsewhere, I am a big fan "Make Offer" pricing. I would like to see more domains listed as "Make Offer" and to provide more help to domainers to get retail prices.

And yes, when someone does buy a domain for $50,000, we'll help them insure it, and the domain owner can earn affiliate revenue on the upsell to a Forever domains ($399) with an insurance policy (1% of the face value as annual premium).

I don't have the answer, but I am starting to ask questions about how to bring more end-user budgets into buying high quality .COM domains. We'll look to move swiftly.

@Ala Dadan @Domain Graduate

Last edited:
•••
I think the problem here is that while co-creation is a great ideal .. by having a seemingly winner take all poll, it's unfortunately spurring some participants to do just the opposite. When there can be only one winner, rather than give genuine and honest opinions, some people will obviously focus on the prize, at the expense of overall best community interest. Particularly when for some people that prize money could make for a significant impact on their quality of life if they are located in a developing part of the world where $5000 USD is beyond life changing.

For example, minimum wage in Nigeria is the equivalent of $82/month (30k NGN). So a single $5k USD domain sale would be the equivalent of FIVE YEARS working at minimum wage in Nigeria. Particularly with 20+% unemployment rate I can't in any way feel angry that whoever submitted VettedName got all his buddies to vote. (Heck .. I'm starting to feel like an ass for pointing it out in the first place).

NamePros can still be a great tool for filtering suggested names .. but the priority of the thread should be the comments .. the tangible pros/cons of the names. The first thing I suggest that be emphasised in threads where a single winner might sell a domain, is that the poll itself is only guideline, and that the actual written pros/cons will have significantly more weight.

Obviously that itself could also lead to serious abuse .. but in the end if the pros/cons don't align with reality, you just don't take it into consideration.

•••
This "that is a fortune somewhere else" story is becoming a plug everywhere theory. I think those country reps here have acted just fine and just focused on promoting their names, life-changing or not. Let's stick to the topic at hand and leave the Freudian psychoanalysis for elsewhere.

That's my point .. I don't think getting people outside to come in and vote blindly is helping anyone. It most certainly isn't something isolated to developing countries ... $5k can be life changing to pretty much anyone anywhere depending on their circumstances. I'm just saying that I can hardly blame someone in a developing nation from getting their friends to vote blindly in a poll if it means they get to sell a domain for five years of employment where he/she lives.

Just because I didn't think Assurer was the best choice for this contest, does not mean that it's still not a good choice .. and at least a million times better than VettedName .. but somehow VettedName got 3x and 40 votes more. A two word domain that fails at a very basic linguistic level vs a one word domain. Are you saying I'm not justified in my thinking the poll results are absurd? lol

Assurer = 22 votes
VettedName = 63 votes
You're telling me there's nothing wrong with that?

I doubt your in your senses.
What has minimum wage in nigeria got to do with the polls or are you another justin tradeu in-waiting?
To whom brain is given ,common sense(which obviously you do not have ) is expected.
If you took the time to actually read my post, you'd see it clearly states that when a huge financial incentive exists for winning a poll (particularly when compared to the country's economic clout), then people are going to get their buddies to come out and vote blindly en-masse. This should be a popularity contest for the best domain .. and not the current scenario where it's a popularity contest for the person submitting the domain. Or do you agree that there is nothing fishy with 62 people voting for VettedName?

It is NOT a Nigeria specific thing .. I'm just showing that how in some places, $5k is a huge incentive to get all your buddies to vote blindly to support you (rather than get them to objectively vote on what they think is actually the best domain). Nigeria is just one example where a single domain could equal 5 years salary .. but there are people in developed nations who might do the same thing for 1 months salary. I'm simply stating that if winning a contest were to let anyone stop working for 5 years .. then I couldn't blame them for spurring all their friends to vote blind.

Last edited:
•••
Hi domainers,

Please give your view on my suggested name NameAssurance.com , though it's lengthy but suitable or apt for this project..

What Is Assurance?
Assurance refers to financial coverage that provides remuneration for an event that is certain to happen. Assurance is similar to insurance, with the terms often used interchangeably. However, insurance refers to coverage over a limited time, whereas assurance applies to persistent coverage for extended periods or until death. Assurance may also apply to validation services provided by accountants and other professionals.

What you guys think of pros and cons of my suggested name on this project? Please comment!

Thanks,
Sumeeth

Last edited:
•••
Lets get back to the task at hand and make the thread on topic again. If anyone has any other names not included in the poll and where not previously sent to Rob then please feel free and post them here, explaining why it is better fit than those chosen for the poll. Peace:)

•••
What happened overnight...perhaps a new thread about the controversy is called for...I certainly have strong opinions about what has been posted and would enjoy getting 'into' it, So...back to the reason for the thread...

Yep, a grand was below what some of my names would be worth in this area...if you are going to take it up to $5,000, I will throw some in the pot tonight if it would not be too late. Please let me/us know the new submission deadline.

•••
Lets get back to the task at hand and make the thread on topic again. If anyone has any other names not included in the poll and where not previously sent to Rob then please feel free and post them here, explaining why it is better fit than those chosen for the poll. Peace:)

How much longer do we have to post our names here.

•••
•••
I guess i have another entry ( I think it's my 10 th) :

Is your domain " eCovered.com " ? ( well I feel generous and throw in this slogan too ? )

Pretty nice ?..

•••

Verilens
Coverant
UDNP (ultimate domain name protection)

•••
•••
The Nigeria reference is a bit off-topic.
I think the problem here is that while co-creation is a great ideal .. by having a seemingly winner take all poll, it's unfortunately spurring some participants to do just the opposite. When there can be only one winner, rather than give genuine and honest opinions, some people will obviously focus on the prize, at the expense of overall best community interest. Particularly when for some people that prize money could make for a significant impact on their quality of life if they are located in a developing part of the world where $5000 USD is beyond life changing.

For example, minimum wage in Nigeria is the equivalent of $82/month (30k NGN). So a single $5k USD domain sale would be the equivalent of FIVE YEARS working at minimum wage in Nigeria. Particularly with 20+% unemployment rate I can't in any way feel angry that whoever submitted VettedName got all his buddies to vote. (Heck .. I'm starting to feel like an ass for pointing it out in the first place).

NamePros can still be a great tool for filtering suggested names .. but the priority of the thread should be the comments .. the tangible pros/cons of the names. The first thing I suggest that be emphasised in threads where a single winner might sell a domain, is that the poll itself is only guideline, and that the actual written pros/cons will have significantly more weight.

Obviously that itself could also lead to serious abuse .. but in the end if the pros/cons don't align with reality, you just don't take it into consideration.

I think it is awesome that anyone can make a windfall. Great for them.

As for gaming the system, yes, we have to be vigilant to such things. Keep in mind that I take the poll results under advisement as a dull knife to identify a logical set of acceptable candidates and then will select one. Others might come later and choose one I did not take. That's great too.

As for the larger issue of people being self-serving, that is just life. As folks become more enlightened many of them will figure out that when they help others they help themselves. The feedback loop is not always instant, but in the end, I believe the wise ones do figure it out.

And my dealings with Nigerians have been fantastic so far. I believe there will be many very successful Nigerian domain investors in the years to come. They are learning quickly, and they clearly are willing to learn from each other and help each other. I think that is great too. :)

I am sorry if some polls breed competition or divisiveness - my goal is 100% not that.

•••
The Nigeria reference is a bit off-topic.

I think it is awesome that anyone can make a windfall. Great for them.

As for gaming the system, yes, we have to be vigilant to such things. Keep in mind that I take the poll results under advisement as a dull knife to identify a logical set of acceptable candidates and then will select one. Others might come later and choose one I did not take. That's great too.

As for the larger issue of people being self-serving, that is just life. As folks become more enlightened many of them will figure out that when they help others they help themselves. The feedback loop is not always instant, but in the end, I believe the wise ones do figure it out.

And my dealings with Nigerians have been fantastic so far. I believe there will be many very successful Nigerian domain investors in the years to come. They are learning quickly, and they clearly are willing to learn from each other and help each other. I think that is great too. :)

I am sorry if some polls breed competition or divisiveness - my goal is 100% not that.

Hahaha...I have to disagree with you there. I think you job definitely is 100% to breed competition and divisiveness. My favourite saying in life at the moment is this....'You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.'

We are all different and we all have different opinions. Do we not believe that Arch Bishop Tutu, Nelson Mandela or The Dalai Lama ever disagreed with someone. It is not the fact that we disagree that is the issue it is the manner in which we do so.

We agree to disagree.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back