Dynadot

discuss Paid domain lists? Would you pay?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you pay for a daily domain list?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    29.9%
  • No

votes
    70.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
Would anyone be interested in joining a mailing list that sends the top 250 domains every single day?

If so, would you pay for it?

If you would, what would you say is a fair price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, many of us are also full time domainers who work very hard at this. Why not let people find domains for themselves?

This business is hard enough already.

Because this is my business and I value my time. Why not monetize it?

•••
Shane,
A word of advice. If its good product people will pay. The big problem is you have to prove its good product and during that proving time you don't make any money. I didn't make any money for two whole years of my time. It eventually built up and started to be profitable. Now my public published and private list provide good income. You'll be able to do the same if your list is good. Just have to stick with it while people realize how good it is. I also find it works if you specialize in certain types of names. Its nearly impossible to cover all good names in all categories . I know you'll do well no matter what you do. Best of luck

•••
•••
•••
glad we feel'n each other ;)

but for those who don't get it,

maybe you could explain to the viewing public, why i would not subscribe to a paid listing

In my opinion, your disinterest for such a service stems from the deep rooted hate you have for those who present themselves as someone to be idolized. The disdain likely stems from the shows and blogs that position their owners and friends as industry front-runners only to offer "services" to newcomers. After watching these individuals take advantage, the disgust boiled to the surface.

Now, I'd like to address such concerns.

I agree with Biggie that no one should be idolized. I also agree that everyone in this industry is out for themselves. Anyone presenting themselves as the "helpful hand" is a liar. If YOU weren't profitable, there would be NO service.

I'm not doing this out of the goodness of my heart. I see an opportunity to increase my income from this newsletter. I'm out for me -- first and foremost. With that being said, I'm not a liar. I will deliver what I promised but the rest is up to you.

Close, Biggie?

•••
Here's my 2 cents:

First let me say that I don't question the expertise of Shane. I'm sure he can find great domains on a daily basis.

That said, I don't think it's possible to list 250 "good" domains per day (depends of course what you define under "good"). 40-50 would be more doable, I think. I guess time will tell if it's possible (should Shane decide to launch this project).

Anyways, gettting a daily list of "only" 50 good domains per day for $20/month would be worth it imo. But not if there's 249 other subscribers seeing the same private list. The more people sign up, the less valuable a list like this becomes for the subscribers and the more valuable it becomes for the creator. The trick is finding the right balance. Otherwise it's doomed to fail.

People need to be realistic as well. A lot of the good domains in the list will probably be domains you would have found yourself. If a lack of time is the reason to join a list like this then sure, $20 is a great deal. Time is money after all.

•••
who will decide what is top ?

or better...

.top is top

.com is communism ?

Welcome to the party. I must say we haven't had batshit crazy here yet. Thanks for the addition.

•••
the thing about this kind of idea is that the more people who subscribe, the less valuable it is.

•••
We are talking about a very small amount of money. If you happen to not like the list, just unsubscribe.

I am sure that Shane is not interested to be (more or less) ridiculed by delivering some piece of crap.

•••
You are a very educated domainer. Your list, no doubt, would be excellent - I am sure.

But, in the real world I can see some problems arising from this...

Once this list is distributed to 10-1000 other people, a lot who may not have the sense to keep the bidding within a reasonable range - The price for the domains on your list will go for a much higher price than their actual value. Leaving the purchaser with less margin for profit.

I think your list would be great for people new to the domain market to learn what types of names to go for, but I do not think the list would remain valuable in the long run for anyone to purchase from. You will inherently drive the prices of these names higher than other names of similar value that did not make your list.

Also this will be driving your own prices up if you are competing in the same pool. So if you truly do not "skim off the top" then you will probably pay more for domains in the end than you earn from your list. (from increased pricing on your listed names). If you are not stopping your purchasing - this will hurt you. This will force you to stop the list, or alter the criteria where you have "2 lists" to keep from skimming off the top of the one you publish.

If you move forward with this - I would recommend that you consider using it as promotional material to direct traffic to your site or generate awareness of your brand. I do not believe the pay model is the way to go here. You would create more marketing value with emailing/posting this list than you could buy with the money you earned from selling it. (Plus some income for affiliate linking to the auctions).

Either way - for profit or for advertisement - it will annoy some people that you are compiling a list for others that may contain names they hoped were going to slip under the radar. That is unavoidable - but plenty of people publish domain list so it is just part of the industry... So no hard feelings here.

Just my $0.02 since you asked for input.

None-the-less, I wish you best of luck in your venture!

-Mike

•••
I had already spotted a few of those :)
If they are going to attract competition and multiple bids, they will be visible anyway.

•••
Good luck.

Obviously there is market (many want it), there is a good eye (Shane), the only problem is balancing it the way that people get enough looks at good names with minimum competition with each other and I am sure a way will be found.

So how did Bodega sell?

•••
What I meant is it obviously did not make it into expired and was grabbed by catchers and auctioned?
That's why I liked your post :)...... I work 12 hours per day and 6 days per week... not because I have to, but because I love money.. I'd work Sunday if I could... I do this, every brief second I get per day..... I had to preface my next statement so u didn't think I was being a smartass..... I'm just tired and did not check...

•••
Just a few thoughts:

- Maybe a better strategy is to be a domain picker for a few successful domain name investors, rather than making a list for the masses. There are definitely domainers (and even outside "money"), that have more money than time. I think it's more sustainable to service 10 clients at $500 a month, or 5 at $1000 a month, than 250 clients at $20 a month. A 'premium' list strategy like this could just be 5 to 10 names a day, ideally targeted to the specific client.

- If you're serving too large of an audience, the good names will absolutely get bid up higher than they normally would get bid up to. The end result is that, the more subscribers you get (the better for you), the less value everyone on the list gets.

- Also - by releasing these names to a larger audience, they will of course get many more early bids. More sophisticated buyers would probably wait until the last minute to place a bid, but from your list, there will definitely be a group of less sophisticated bidders who will place bids immediately, which will then raise the awareness of the name to every other shark out there, who previously hadn't seen the name yet.

- Also - it sounds like by running this list, it would more or less prevent you from participating as a buyer in any of the aftermarkets that you are including in the list. You've stated 5 times that you would not be skimming from the list. What if you buy a name that you didn't include on the list? People would probably accuse you of withholding good names from your list :)

•••
Decided to unsubscribe. Doesn't seem worth $50 a month to me.

it's up to $50 a month now?

damn, maybe i need to start a listing

:)

imo........

•••
What if i sell the list i get for $50 to 10 people at $20 each? I kid I kid...:laugh:

•••
Would anyone be interested in joining a mailing list that sends the top 250 domains every single day?

If so, would you pay for it?

If you would, what would you say is a fair price?

Nice, but , sending the top 250 domains every single day -- ???, How will this be determine, is it top 250 in submission or top 250 in quality .

•••
•••
While it's a nice idea, personally speaking I prefer to take the time and do my own research. I'd probably avoid bidding on anything from such a list because I will probably have to over pay to acquire if there's a lot of eyeballs seeing the list.

I see your point but I would launch a counter argument suggesting that with 250 domains daily there wouldn't be too much competition. Further, it'd be private meaning less people would see it. Good point though.

I was going to suggest the same
Try giving few days free then they will get the quality and you can ask for fair price too !!
I am doing same you can check in my signature !

Thanks for your input. I was thinking $20 per month would be fair. That would be 2.5 cents per domain per month.

•••
If it's a good system, they'd be snapped up straight away, not only by people who subscribe to the list but people who know a good available domain when they see one, so would make competitiveness even harder imo.

Also if the lists aren't automated the person who's doing the list isn't going to give a potentially GREAT domain away, i don't care how many paid subscribers they have, so the daily lists would be a bunch of average to good domains at best.

If I did this I would agree not to skim off the top. I would be a normal subscriber too. :)

Point noted though.

•••
I see another part, if going by this listing will reduce the cost of listing them individually/personally on the marketplaces directly (Vis a viz, the listing fee and the success fee), will such list provide such an advantage?
Another advantage might be that, such list already involved partial appraisal, since it will be screened. But the screening :xf.rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean. But as far as screening goes, I made a lot of money last year using my technique. I definitely won't be sharing my technique because no amount of money would be worth selling the secret sauce.

I think there definitely would be a market for it... having a free 1 week trial would def be a good idea.

As far as price is concerned..you could price it on the high end and make in an exclusive VIP club with like only 50 members OR you could have a much cheaper subscription open to everyone.....

I thought about a higher price tag but to be scalable it needs to be affordable for everyone. Know what I mean?

•••
Oh also, would probably be a good idea to randomize the time that the the list goes out everyday....this would give everyone a fair chance of scoring on some days because of the time zone.

If you send it out at the same time every day then it would benefit members on the same time zone as you a bit more than other member....because if they not on the same time zone then by the time they wake up and go thru the list they could be losing out on all the really good deals. Randomizing the time of day everyday would ensure that everyone on the list has a fair chance of grabbing some of the best of the best domains for the day

I definitely didn't think of that. Solid point. The trouble is these lists are for domains ending within 24 hours. I suppose that limits my reach but it's just the way I work.

•••
I would like to work with you too ! :rolleyes:

•••
Personally, I think it all depends on word of mouth and recommendations. I mean if people I know say that they made good money from domains that were on your list, I would definitely pay for the list.

But I still think $20 is a huge bargain. I mean out of those domains if I buy just one domain and flip it, I'm already in profit.

•••
Only a pleasure dude.... keep us in the loop on when you plan on launching...I would certainly like to give the service a try myself.

I would like to work with you too ! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the support.

Personally, I think it all depends on word of mouth and recommendations. I mean if people I know say that they made good money from domains that were on your list, I would definitely pay for the list.

I am first hand proof that my strategy works. I know this service will be worth more than $20. :)

But I still think $20 is a huge bargain. I mean out of those domains if I buy just one domain and flip it, I'm already in profit.

Agreed.

Sure the one week trial thing will be cool and limiting the membership will be necessary, monthly membership fee suggested.
How ever what is on my mind now is this, if you have a list of 1000 membership and name xyx , spotlighted (chosen), How can bidding war on such name be avoided?.

It's a pay to play game but it doesn't matter where you get your list... there will be competition.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back