Dynadot

discuss Paid domain lists? Would you pay?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you pay for a daily domain list?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    29.9%
  • No

votes
    70.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
Would anyone be interested in joining a mailing list that sends the top 250 domains every single day?

If so, would you pay for it?

If you would, what would you say is a fair price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While it's a nice idea, personally speaking I prefer to take the time and do my own research. I'd probably avoid bidding on anything from such a list because I will probably have to over pay to acquire if there's a lot of eyeballs seeing the list.

•••
Can you give an example of 'today's' top domains? (or yesterdays)

I could next week. Just testing the waters. I think a free week of subscription would also alleviate some of the doubts. Thoughts?

•••
I published lists for many years in a variety of different formats and delivery methods. The good news is I did make decent money doing it. The bad news is there are a number of pitfalls that will constantly require you to adapt. The two biggest obstacles I think you'll encounter are:

1. Your private membership lists will be shared and republished, probably with another person's affiliate ID. Once your members find the republished lists, they unsubscribe. Trying to figure out which of your members is behind it will be a lesson in frustration. You'll essentially be working for them.

2. As others have pointed out, the increased competition will drive prices up. You'll make money, the registrars will make more money, all at your subscribers expense. Your subscribers will eventually realize this.

I have no doubt you can probably put together good lists on a consistent basis but the system will cannibalize itself.

I think you would be better off buying the best 10 to 20 domains cheap each day and offering them to your subscriber list for reasonably low reseller prices (100 to 200% markup). First come, first serve. If you really want to maximize revenue than you can host your own auctions. Much more administration time is required to do this but it could always be outsourced.

•••
I will also start a list.

The list will list everyone having a list.

Will notify shortly where to subscribe :-P

•••
@Shane Bellone personally think 250 is too long of a list. People have short attention span. I know I would never read the whole thing. My brain would likely ignore it and shut down from over stimuli.

Better strategy might be to break it up into a couple categories and have 20-30 domains per category. Would be easier to visually digest.

Category examples
Top .coms
Top .net/.org/.co
Top numerics
Top traffic names
Top tech/startup extensions .io/.ly/.me
Brandables (not sure if this is possible)

You just reminded me of something I totally forgot to mention... I only do .coms. That's probably pretty important to mention.

Also, if someone isn't willing to put in 15 minutes to look over 250 domains that have the potential to make money, then they're in the wrong industry.

•••
If it's a good system, they'd be snapped up straight away, not only by people who subscribe to the list but people who know a good available domain when they see one, so would make competitiveness even harder imo.

Also if the lists aren't automated the person who's doing the list isn't going to give a potentially GREAT domain away, i don't care how many paid subscribers they have, so the daily lists would be a bunch of average to good domains at best.

•••
Oh also, would probably be a good idea to randomize the time that the the list goes out everyday....this would give everyone a fair chance of scoring on some days because of the time zone.

If you send it out at the same time every day then it would benefit members on the same time zone as you a bit more than other member....because if they not on the same time zone then by the time they wake up and go thru the list they could be losing out on all the really good deals. Randomizing the time of day everyday would ensure that everyone on the list has a fair chance of grabbing some of the best of the best domains for the day

•••
I think this would be helpful to new domainers that don't know what to look for or where.

•••
Can't you post a list here of the top 250 domains from the drops tomorrow and Friday and let us decide if the list is good enough. We can then tell you how much we would be willing to pay for the list. I would be interested but it's hard to say how interested unless I had an example of the quality. Many of us use the same tools so I would be curious to see how much better the list may be.

I do believe by posting a good list here on a public forum that it could help create a great buzz and gain you much more exposure and possible customers then with no list at all.

•••
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

•••
What would be really useful is a list of end users that will pay good $$ for domains. :)

•••
I think that's a good idea..

it solves the most important aspect of any business..it will save TIME :)

..sAm

That's what I was thinking. I spend a lot of money per month on tools and a lot of time on the lists everyday. Might as well monetize my time. :D

•••
Its a simple equation ..
TIME = MONEY

If we can leverage our time we can leverage the money too..

Let me know when you release it..if i get the funds i will subscribe..

Best Regards,
sAm.. :)

Thanks!

Its a Good Idea Shane, however I will only recommend you "not to keep it free" because it takes a lot of work, time & energy to compile such things.

Even if you can monetize big through Affiliate Links or Banners in your Email, $20 seems fine, if you like you can start with $10 for first month, just an idea.

Moreover, my advice would be not to make commitment for daily mails, it may become very hard for you to keep that commitment in the long run. If you are working that hard to find such a large number of names, then 15 Mails per month seems fine with $10-20 subscription price, with a commitment of at least 3 mails weekly to your subscribers, imo.

Regards//Daneyal

I do this daily anyways. It's part of being a full-time domainer. So the commitment isn't a big deal. Rain or shine, I'll do the lists. :)

•••
I can appreciate that, but any of us who does this full time could offer the same service.

But we don't. As I said, this business is getting harder all the time. No need to accelerate it.

Besides, you will still keep the best names for yourself; it only makes sense.

If you spend all that time finding good names, why would you give them away?

I realize you can not buy all the names you find, but the left overs may not be that good anyway.

Anyone who has been at this for a while knows that finding really good names is like finding a needle in a haystack.

And the best names will always have competition anyway.

Offering lesser names just to make a buck might not be such a good idea.

If you look at the poll results you will see it is more than 2 to 1 against this, and I guarantee most of the "against" are full timers.

I'm really tired of people saying I will keep the best names for myself. This is my 3rd time stating that I will provide the FULL LIST. Please don't accuse me of being a liar.

And in all honesty, I really don't care if the business is more competitive for my competitors. Their business does not put food on my table.

•••
I personally think you are sawing the branch you are seating on, but good luck

•••
Well you can say it all you want but some folk will always be wary, myself included, good luck

Maybe the 5th time is the charm. I'm not skimming off the top.

•••
•••
I think there definitely would be a market for it... having a free 1 week trial would def be a good idea.

As far as price is concerned..you could price it on the high end and make in an exclusive VIP club with like only 50 members OR you could have a much cheaper subscription open to everyone.....

•••
$20....is more than a bargain mate. I mean that's pretty much being spoon fed all the top domains of the day for $20 monthly. If you throw in that 1 week trial then I think you definitely have yourself a winner there...

That's the plan. I appreciate your input. :)

•••
Only a pleasure dude.... keep us in the loop on when you plan on launching...I would certainly like to give the service a try myself.

•••
Everything's been done before but what matters is who can do it best.

•••
You just reminded me of something I totally forgot to mention... I only do .coms. That's probably pretty important to mention.

Also, if someone isn't willing to put in 15 minutes to look over 250 domains that have the potential to make money, then they're in the wrong industry.

I agree with you. However, there are a million outlets and most domainers look at many outlets.

Just meant from a human nature perspective it is harder to capture the information in long lists. You can still do 250 names, I just think it would be to your advantage to find a way to chop it up into smaller groups. Obviously are ways obviously to break up just .coms into groups as well (generics, brandables, 1 word vs 2 word, etc....).

•••
I haven't read the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned... I'd be very interested but only if the list is limited to a certain number of subscribers. I used to use Shane's daily list (from DSAD.com) to help me find some hidden gems but these days I use his list to know which names to avoid. His list brings a lot of eye balls to the mentioned names and hence raises the price.

•••
Lots of good arguments on both sides here.

Personally I'd be interested to see how this would work out.

Thanks to @Shane Bellone

Thanks, man. Appreciate the support.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant, lists for one or two days...

I spent yesterday setting up the subscription system and set it up for a 7-day free trial. 2 is enough but 7 is better. :)

•••
If you evaluate your time at 5 figure value, than why are you doing this.
I guess you will filter the best names for yourself or at last the names you would be interested in.
Anyway I'd like to to try it for a month or two to see the results.

I already said I won't be filtering names. It's my full list everyday. I'm simply monetizing the time I spend doing this. Truthfully, I don't buy everyday. I only buy when I see something with 5-figure potential. Those types of domains are typically few and far between. This plan just makes sense.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back