Dynadot

OUCH!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just sold a domain at GoDaddy which I had dropped and it was picked up by HugeDomains. Had to go and buy the domain back from HugeDomains. Lost about $300 on the whole transaction. I'm usually super-careful about checking I still own the domain when negotiating a price at GoDaddy. This one seemed to have slipped thru the net. I actually went through the negotiations, accepted a counter-offer, went to Dynadot to transfer it back to GoDaddy, and found I didn't own it any longer. Gulp!

I was on my first and final warning from GoDaddy about this. I never actually sold another domain. I got the enquiry, checked the whois, made a counter offer of $1M and told them I didn't own the domain anymore. Please check the whois for the new owner. Seems the buyer didn't like the counter-offer and reported it to GoDaddy. So now if I get an offer on a domain I no longer own, I just let the offer expire, and then quietly delete the domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think you're the right one. congrats for you sales at godaddy auction. are you list for make offer or 7 days?

•••
Did you miss the fact that I lost $300 on this transaction? All my listings everywhere are make offer.

•••
Did you miss the fact that I lost $300 on this transaction? All my listings everywhere are make offer.

haha.. sorry. its better than unsold

•••
@stub -

The cost of a conscience. Good on you for coming clean and thanks for the humble post.

Great to hear there are still sellers out there who make that extra effort to do right by the buyer.

Sorry to hear you took this one on the chin.

Thanks for the post as a reminder to check our renewal status periodically on our portfolios.

-Jim

ps: Curious, you mention you "went to Dynadot to transfer it back to GoDaddy". I hear others mention they have "transfer" accounts. Appreciate your insight to why the bank shot, instead of a direct transfer from Dynadot? (thanks)

•••
Last edited:
•••
slimjim270 said:
ps: Curious, you mention you "went to Dynadot to transfer it back to GoDaddy". I hear others mention they have "transfer" accounts. Appreciate your insight to why the bank shot, instead of a direct transfer from Dynadot? (thanks)

This doesn't make any sense to me. Most of my domains are at Dynadot. Then if I make a sale at GoDaddy, I transfer the domain to GoDaddy. Which I couldn't do because I didn't own the domain any more. I decided I would transfer the domain at my own cost for any domain I sold at GoDaddy. It saves me time. I also have empirical evidence that when I tell a potential buyer the domain is at Dynadot, I never hear from that potential buyer ever again.

I have no idea what you mean by "the bank shot".

•••
I just sold a domain at GoDaddy which I had dropped and it was picked up by HugeDomains. Had to go and buy the domain back from HugeDomains. Lost about $300 on the whole transaction. I'm usually super-careful about checking I still own the domain when negotiating a price at GoDaddy. This one seemed to have slipped thru the net. I actually went through the negotiations, accepted a counter-offer, went to Dynadot to transfer it back to GoDaddy, and found I didn't own it any longer. Gulp!

I was on my first and final warning from GoDaddy about this. I never actually sold another domain. I got the enquiry, checked the whois, made a counter offer of $1M and told them I didn't own the domain anymore. Please check the whois for the new owner. Seems the buyer didn't like the counter-offer and reported it to GoDaddy. So now if I get an offer on a domain I no longer own, I just let the offer expire, and then quietly delete the domain.

Did you try negotiating with hugedomains or did you just buy it from them at their list price?

•••
"bank shot" is a sports term. it means bouncing the ball off of something before it reaches the goal.

like in pool or basketball.

so the $300 is what you lost to keep your godaddy auction account

I had my G account locked once when I accepted an offer on a domain that was expired and in redemption. I paid the $80 redemption fee.

•••
I am little confused here.. Did you go through with the sale or probable buyer who made an offer didnt like your counter offer and ran away?

•••
This doesn't make any sense to me. Most of my domains are at Dynadot. Then if I make a sale at GoDaddy, I transfer the domain to GoDaddy. Which I couldn't do because I didn't own the domain any more. I decided I would transfer the domain at my own cost for any domain I sold at GoDaddy. It saves me time. I also have empirical evidence that when I tell a potential buyer the domain is at Dynadot, I never hear from that potential buyer ever again.

I have no idea what you mean by "the bank shot".

Hi Stub,

Sorry for the confusion.

What I meant by "bank shot" (a pool/billiards term) is going to another source before ending at your final destination. A 2-step process.

Thanks for your thoughts on why you transfer to your GoDaddy account before the transfer to the end user GoDaddy account.

-Jim

•••

Wait Stub you said you countered at $1m ? After you accepted their first counter offer ?

•••
Hehe lot of confusion here.. Anyway stub at $300 it is a medium expensive learning experience. Take it like that and be sure to check if you own the name first and then start negotiating :)

•••
I am just as confused as well I understand Stub isn't happy and this has affected his communication levels on here.

Stub calm down and explain what happened...

•••
•••
There is no confusion.

Stub was just sighting that he honoured the deal at a $300 loss, because he had earlier been warned by GoDaddy over the same issue (listing an expired/ previously owned name), and the warning had come not even on a sale, but on an an offer over an expired name (which he forgot to remove from his listings), which he countered with a $1million offer, telling the potential buyer he did not own the name, but the buyer did not like it and complained with GoDaddy.

So, he honored this one even if it were to mean a $300 loss to him. I hope i got it right.:P

•••
I can't make sense of any of this. All I can add is be glad the domain wasn't picked up by Name Administration.

-edit-
now that I'm awake I seem to understand. :xf.confused:

But why didn't you initially simply contact GD support and explain the mistake, request they cancel the sale? Too many unknown variables in your narrative IMO, which you might not wish to disclose.

Last edited:
•••
Same thing happened to me last year. I sold a domain, transferred to the buyer's account, then it sells on GD auctions a matter of a few hours later before I could remove it. Freak thing.

I went out of my way to email GD support and explain the situation. I got a response stating my GD accounts was suspended for having domains listed that I did not own and I could pay $75 to have it reinstated with a warning. Total bullsh*t. I did own it, it sold a couple of hours later. Sh*t happens sometimes and it's all honest and with actual proof that it was honest.

I then called customer service and luckily I got a really cool rep that waived the fee for me after I explained. He fought hard for me to get it waived, too. He must've been speaking with 2 different supervisors for 20 mins because even he felt the fee was BS.

Did you get a fee when it happened to you the first time?

Ever since then I never put BIN on my GD auctions.

•••
Ever since then I never put BIN on my GD auctions.

Bingo.. same here to avoid exactly such situations as described above.. i do also review my domains constantly and ensure that i haver never set a BIN on more than 1 marketplaces (Afternic, Sedo, etc.. at least those can't hurt me like GD can as they don't have access to my domains) at the same time..

•••
godaddy should have a system to prune domains in auction which are no longer registered to the original lister of the domain name.

•••
But why didn't you initially simply contact GD support and explain the mistake, request they cancel the sale? .

Because he thought he could sell if for greater than $300

HugeDomains selling a domain to someone desperate for only $300 is the shocker here

•••
Because he thought he could sell if for greater than $300

HugeDomains selling a domain to someone desperate for only $300 is the shocker here

I don't think that that's what he's saying. My understanding is that stub sold the domain for $300 less than he paid Hugedomains. He didn't specify the amounts.

•••
Oh I see he set up a net losing transaction to try to keep Godaddy happy.

A one mil counter after first talking about 'normal' numbers will surely get complaints.

And then Godaddy says to themselves "Oh this is the guy that cant wait to transfer GD domains out of Godaddy"=Godaddy not being too friendly

Get in the habit of peeking at whois before any type of serious domain work . After a while you do it subconsciously.

•••
I had about 500 domains on GD auctions and after reading this I realized I have some in there that I needed to delete. So instead of going through the list one by one I decided to delete the whole list and then resubmit the list so that way all that I don't own anymore will automatically not be listed.

•••
Did you try negotiating with hugedomains or did you just buy it from them at their list price?

It was my understanding that they don't negotiate on prices, and if they do, it's mostly upwards. So I bought it at their list price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back