NameSilo

OUCH!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just sold a domain at GoDaddy which I had dropped and it was picked up by HugeDomains. Had to go and buy the domain back from HugeDomains. Lost about $300 on the whole transaction. I'm usually super-careful about checking I still own the domain when negotiating a price at GoDaddy. This one seemed to have slipped thru the net. I actually went through the negotiations, accepted a counter-offer, went to Dynadot to transfer it back to GoDaddy, and found I didn't own it any longer. Gulp!

I was on my first and final warning from GoDaddy about this. I never actually sold another domain. I got the enquiry, checked the whois, made a counter offer of $1M and told them I didn't own the domain anymore. Please check the whois for the new owner. Seems the buyer didn't like the counter-offer and reported it to GoDaddy. So now if I get an offer on a domain I no longer own, I just let the offer expire, and then quietly delete the domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I genuinely thought I had checked that I'd owned the domain before I countered :(

Where do you normally check your whois info? If you did a search on who.is to verify you were the current owner, it might have shown you an old record. It doesn't always auto-refresh unfortunately.

•••
@Grace Delete - I guess so.... or maybe richer... or maybe less frugal with my money... or don't want to tarnish any reputation I have left... or just plain stupid. If I had to guess at one, I guess at the latter :)

BTW. Multiple accounts wouldn't work very well with all my domains locked down in the banned account. AFAIK.

Approx half of my annual sales come thru GoDaddy Auctions. I definitely need them more than they need me.

•••
happened with me to but it flashed in my mind at the time of offer that I have already sold it to one np mate here. It was my first and only flippa domain catalog offer received so far..

•••
Thanks. It not over yet. The domain is still "Funds received - authorization pending" at GoDaddy, and the domain has a 60 day transfer lock at NameBright.

Ok NameBright support is in the toilet as far as I'm concerned. As I said. After I logged into NameBright I couldn't unlock the domain because it had a fresh 60 day lock. It's a long story, but to cut it short, HugeDomains told me a I could request it to be unlocked If I sent them ID. I did that, and very quickly they said it was unblocked. Not half an hour later they emailed me back to say NameBright, because it was a change of registrars, there was a 60 day lock (WTF is that all about). NameBright weren't even aware that this was a HugeDomains DropCatch, registered at NameBright, which should have been pushed to me, thereby not incurring any further lock. Well after another few rounds of tooing-and-frowing with me, they appeared to reluctantly change their minds and unlocked the domain. So for now, the domain is only locked for 1 more month, rather than 2.

NameBright were absolutely clueless and brainless throughout this support process.

•••
Ok NameBright support is in the toilet as far as I'm concerned. As I said. After I logged into NameBright I couldn't unlock the domain because it had a fresh 60 day lock. It's a long story, but to cut it short, HugeDomains told me a I could request it to be unlocked If I sent them ID. I did that, and very quickly they said it was unblocked. Not half an hour later they emailed me back to say NameBright, because it was a change of registrars, there was a 60 day lock (WTF is that all about). NameBright weren't even aware that this was a HugeDomains DropCatch, registered at NameBright, which should have been pushed to me, thereby not incurring any further lock. Well after another few rounds of tooing-and-frowing with me, they appeared to reluctantly change their minds and unlocked the domain. So for now, the domain is only locked for 1 more month, rather than 2.

NameBright were absolutely clueless and brainless throughout this support process.

I wonder if the lock is because of their 30 day refund policy?

Does the lock prevent you from pushing the domain to another account?

•••
OK. Andrew reached out to me via PM. The lock is imposed from all purchases from my country because of the amount of fraud they've had from my country. So they weren't picking on me :) It wouldn't have prevented me transferring to another NameBright account, but the the new 60 day lock would have been carried over (because of the fraud thing). I actually managed to get the 60 day lock removed, which only now has the new registration lock to complete. And I transferred it to my main account without any further problems. So I'm satisfied, even though it felt like pulling teeth, at times. Andrew is going to speak to his staff today, from what he has learned.

•••
I have been meaning to do this too. But I was waiting for a break in my sales there before doing it because I was not sure how it would affect ongoing negotiations. At this time, I have 3 current uncompleted sales at GoDaddy and about 10 ongoing negotiations.
What I did was a big mistake. Now the names that are 90 days from expiring I can't re-list on GD auctions until I renew them even though they are 3 months from expiring. So if I want to list them in GD auctions again I have to renew all the ones that are still 3 months from expiring. That sucks.

•••
Alls well that ends well. The buyer refused (by not answering) my initial contact via GoDaddy telling him to open a NameBright account for a quick push. Now almost 3 weeks later, after some intervention by GoDaddy, they open an account at NameBright, the domain has been pushed, and I have been paid. End result, I haven't tarnished my reputation at GoDaddy Auctions and I'm lighter by $300 :( I'm actually surprised the buyer didn't wait until the lock was removed in just over 1 weeks time.

•••
What I did was a big mistake. Now the names that are 90 days from expiring I can't re-list on GD auctions until I renew them even though they are 3 months from expiring. So if I want to list them in GD auctions again I have to renew all the ones that are still 3 months from expiring. That sucks.

OK. Lesson learned. I'll just go thru my sales for the last three years and delete them individually. This doesn't clear up domains I've dropped. So the problem still exists, and it could still happen again.

•••
After reading these stories, and knowing that GoDaddy has virtually unlimited access to whois information, I don't know why they don't do more to ensure problems like these don't arise. All it would take is a simple whois query at the time of a bid or offer to make sure the domain belongs to the seller. IMO this is pure, unadulterated laziness on their part. But I guess GoDaddy is big enough it can be that lazy/sloppy.

Sedo and Flippa demonstrate considerable laziness as well. I mean, seriously. These are some of the leading technological companies in the world, and their basic functionality sucks.

•••
•••
would be nice if expiration dates were shown when a seller looks at their list of domains for sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back