Dynadot

OUCH!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just sold a domain at GoDaddy which I had dropped and it was picked up by HugeDomains. Had to go and buy the domain back from HugeDomains. Lost about $300 on the whole transaction. I'm usually super-careful about checking I still own the domain when negotiating a price at GoDaddy. This one seemed to have slipped thru the net. I actually went through the negotiations, accepted a counter-offer, went to Dynadot to transfer it back to GoDaddy, and found I didn't own it any longer. Gulp!

I was on my first and final warning from GoDaddy about this. I never actually sold another domain. I got the enquiry, checked the whois, made a counter offer of $1M and told them I didn't own the domain anymore. Please check the whois for the new owner. Seems the buyer didn't like the counter-offer and reported it to GoDaddy. So now if I get an offer on a domain I no longer own, I just let the offer expire, and then quietly delete the domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Goodluck
xmq.gif

Thanks. It not over yet. The domain is still "Funds received - authorization pending" at GoDaddy, and the domain has a 60 day transfer lock at NameBright.

HugeDomains really pissed me off about the lock. They told me I would get transfer instructions within 24hrs on their website, but in their email confirmation that had already stretched to 48hrs. But I never got any instructions. Instead I got a link to a new account at NameBright. Of course after I passed all their checks and logged in, the domain was locked for 60 days. This is totally unnecessary. So now I have to inform the buyer to open up a NameBright account, and I push the domain there. Luckily I never mentioned any registrar to the buyer. And I guess he just assumed the domain was at GoDaddy (like all the buyers do). So I expect some headaches are still to come.

•••
Because if I'd done that, GoDaddy would have cancelled my auction account, if they followed thru on their warning. GoDaddy provides about half my sales in a year. So I could not afford to be barred by them.

This is what proxies and multiple accounts are for... :)

I don't know whether to commend you for your good character or condemn you for giving every scammer a new way to scam (I've suggested it before though...) I would probably have walked away, truth be told. Over low $ it's not worth anyone's effort and non-payment isn't exactly unusual :)

But i guess you are of higher moral character than me.

•••
Did you miss the fact that I lost $300 on this transaction? All my listings everywhere are make offer.

•••
godaddy should have a system to prune domains in auction which are no longer registered to the original lister of the domain name.

•••
But why didn't you initially simply contact GD support and explain the mistake, request they cancel the sale? .

Because he thought he could sell if for greater than $300

HugeDomains selling a domain to someone desperate for only $300 is the shocker here

•••
Did you try negotiating with hugedomains or did you just buy it from them at their list price?

It was my understanding that they don't negotiate on prices, and if they do, it's mostly upwards. So I bought it at their list price.

•••
•••
@Grace Delete - I guess so.... or maybe richer... or maybe less frugal with my money... or don't want to tarnish any reputation I have left... or just plain stupid. If I had to guess at one, I guess at the latter :)

BTW. Multiple accounts wouldn't work very well with all my domains locked down in the banned account. AFAIK.

Approx half of my annual sales come thru GoDaddy Auctions. I definitely need them more than they need me.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hehe lot of confusion here.. Anyway stub at $300 it is a medium expensive learning experience. Take it like that and be sure to check if you own the name first and then start negotiating :)

•••
I am just as confused as well I understand Stub isn't happy and this has affected his communication levels on here.

Stub calm down and explain what happened...

•••
•••
There is no confusion.

Stub was just sighting that he honoured the deal at a $300 loss, because he had earlier been warned by GoDaddy over the same issue (listing an expired/ previously owned name), and the warning had come not even on a sale, but on an an offer over an expired name (which he forgot to remove from his listings), which he countered with a $1million offer, telling the potential buyer he did not own the name, but the buyer did not like it and complained with GoDaddy.

So, he honored this one even if it were to mean a $300 loss to him. I hope i got it right.:P

•••
I can't make sense of any of this. All I can add is be glad the domain wasn't picked up by Name Administration.

-edit-
now that I'm awake I seem to understand. :xf.confused:

But why didn't you initially simply contact GD support and explain the mistake, request they cancel the sale? Too many unknown variables in your narrative IMO, which you might not wish to disclose.

Last edited:
•••
Because he thought he could sell if for greater than $300

HugeDomains selling a domain to someone desperate for only $300 is the shocker here

I don't think that that's what he's saying. My understanding is that stub sold the domain for $300 less than he paid Hugedomains. He didn't specify the amounts.

•••
Oh I see he set up a net losing transaction to try to keep Godaddy happy.

A one mil counter after first talking about 'normal' numbers will surely get complaints.

And then Godaddy says to themselves "Oh this is the guy that cant wait to transfer GD domains out of Godaddy"=Godaddy not being too friendly

Get in the habit of peeking at whois before any type of serious domain work . After a while you do it subconsciously.

•••
Wait Stub you said you countered at $1m ? After you accepted their first counter offer ?

No that was on the domain I didn't sell. I just countered with a ridiculous amount so they would not accept it. But I didn't consider they they might just report it to GoDaddy.

•••
There is no confusion.

Stub was just sighting that he honoured the deal at a $300 loss, because he had earlier been warned by GoDaddy over the same issue (listing an expired/ previously owned name), and the warning had come not even on a sale, but on an an offer over an expired name (which he forgot to remove from his listings), which he countered with a $1million offer, telling the potential buyer he did not own the name, but the buyer did not like it and complained with GoDaddy.

So, he honored this one even if it were to mean a $300 loss to him. I hope i got it right.:P

Correct. so not everyone were wearing their sunglasses :)

•••
Wow! And I thought I'd explained it quite clearly :) Hats off to @Nitindomains who got it right first time :) He must be a twisted thinker, like me :)

•••
sounds like a good reason to have a second account.

use one for selling only - the other for buying only.

until one gets nuked. then use the survivor for everything.

•••
I'm a total beginner and I understood- clearly- your first post.

•••
Thanks, Stu. This is dangerous territory, and reminded me to look again. I have had people inquire about names simply because they see their domain name (which they probably bought from me) is listed for sale and want to stir up some trouble.

I, too, don't understand why the various auction houses don't scan the whois for changes and remove names automatically. In fact, I would love a piece of software that compares my portfolio with my listed names at various venues, and alerts me when I am listing a name I no longer own.

It's bad enough getting a serious offer on a domain you've dropped and can't recover without worrying about this other stuff.

•••
Thanks. It not over yet. The domain is still "Funds received - authorization pending" at GoDaddy, and the domain has a 60 day transfer lock at NameBright.

Ok NameBright support is in the toilet as far as I'm concerned. As I said. After I logged into NameBright I couldn't unlock the domain because it had a fresh 60 day lock. It's a long story, but to cut it short, HugeDomains told me a I could request it to be unlocked If I sent them ID. I did that, and very quickly they said it was unblocked. Not half an hour later they emailed me back to say NameBright, because it was a change of registrars, there was a 60 day lock (WTF is that all about). NameBright weren't even aware that this was a HugeDomains DropCatch, registered at NameBright, which should have been pushed to me, thereby not incurring any further lock. Well after another few rounds of tooing-and-frowing with me, they appeared to reluctantly change their minds and unlocked the domain. So for now, the domain is only locked for 1 more month, rather than 2.

NameBright were absolutely clueless and brainless throughout this support process.

•••
OK. Andrew reached out to me via PM. The lock is imposed from all purchases from my country because of the amount of fraud they've had from my country. So they weren't picking on me :) It wouldn't have prevented me transferring to another NameBright account, but the the new 60 day lock would have been carried over (because of the fraud thing). I actually managed to get the 60 day lock removed, which only now has the new registration lock to complete. And I transferred it to my main account without any further problems. So I'm satisfied, even though it felt like pulling teeth, at times. Andrew is going to speak to his staff today, from what he has learned.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back