Dynadot

Newbie question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
never mind - i now know the answer to the queston so i have edited it.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you ask a question and you find a reply maybe it's better to write it down in case other people wonder the same thing

•••
OK,

What happened was that I realised that certain characters, such as ü, have different unicode representations depending if it´s upper or lower case. So that made me think that for each domain with one of these characters it would be advisable to register both the upper and lower case versions.

But then I realised that when you enter an IDN into your browser the first step of the browser is to make it all lower case, called case-folding, and so for this reason registering upper case IDNs is pointless.

•••
atoklas said:
OK,

What happened was that I realised that certain characters, such as ü, have different unicode representations depending if it´s upper or lower case. So that made me think that for each domain with one of these characters it would be advisable to register both the upper and lower case versions.

But then I realised that when you enter an IDN into your browser the first step of the browser is to make it all lower case, called case-folding, and so for this reason registering upper case IDNs is pointless.

Great information you shared with the forum! :great:

•••
Fka200 said:
Great information you shared with the forum! :great:

Knowing such things can be vital. I took almost clean sweep of many Russian Cities in dot com when they dropped as I was the first to realise that having got the list I would have to manually decapitalise the first letter of each, because the encodement alogorhithm at the registrar did not "fold" cyrillic at that time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back