Dynadot

new gtlds New gTLDs are DEAD!! Frank Schilling drops 230,000 new gTLD domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not all the new Gtld's are dead. Few is still good (but not ALL)

@Fancy.domains sold lot of new gtld names. It's about marketing skills.

•••
Interesting range of perspectives.

I don’t see the new TLDs as being dead. The fact is, some of them have tremendous value when used properly.

In the process of determining the worth of the new TLDs, domainers are so hungry for opportunity within their realm that they have forgotten to analyze the depth of new TLDs, and to properly assess the value proposition each may offer. Are they dot coms? No. Could some of them have the potential to rival dot coms? Yes… but it’s a combination of factors that will elevate those worthy of elevation to that level.

Further, some of the new TLDs were never launched to be money makers for domainers, they were launched for personal development by end-user hobbyists, special interests, and essentially, blogging. TLDs, like the dot me or dot space, are very limited in scope to what an end-user might pay, but unlimited to what a hobbyist might develop. These, like so many other new TLDs, are for the end-user to register and use, with very few offering the opportunity to profit from reselling.

Instead of analyzing this, many domainers have been in a rush to run out and buy a ton of shit, believing that end-users would eventually pay high fees to obtain these domains, simply because they have a dictionary meaning or happen to be an industry product, word, or term. For many, this won’t happen, and it’s obvious why to those who take the time to reason before making their decision. Just because EFG.com can fetch five or six figure sales, doesn’t mean it’s a smart investment to register EFG.clothing. The fact of the matter remains that a lot of the new TLDs have a small assortment of words specific to each new TLD that actually work. For most other non-relatable verbs, nouns, and adjectives, they sound stupid, make no sense, and have a very slim hope of monetizing beyond the registrar’s level.

Also, consider the strong factors in determining how this launch of new TLDs is significantly different than the release during the early millennium with the dot mobi’s, biz, org, info, etc. Firstly, it’s very challenging to find a suitable .com, since all short, viable domain names are gone, and because so many are priced out of reality, other logical alternatives become attractive. Secondly, in my opinion and most importantly, thanks to the massive growth, maturing, and innovative technological mindset of the IGen/Gen Z or Centennials, the Internet and the technologies associated with it are soon to be entering the next phase of Semantic Web progression. It is this highly adaptive generation that holds the key. It’s baffling how this is so overlooked. The Millennials and the younger population are the generations who will innovate the next phase of the internet well beyond what we’ve currently achieved. It’s also this demographic who has a different mindset than which was common 20, 15, even 10 years ago… and are much more accepting than their aging forefathers.

A good example of this thought process and adaptability would be in the fairly recent rise of the .io extension. It’s the Indian Ocean, let’s call a spade a spade… yet, it has transcended into a marquee TLD with value to those in technology – and it’s all thanks to modifying our thoughts to interpret io as an acronym for Input Output. Incidentally, it’s this perceived usage of the newer io TLD that is starting to do quite well, with many strong sales having been posted over past few months.

The days of registering 1,2,3 and 4 letter domains of value are limited, if not done altogether, with the .com clearly being the most desirable and king of all. Simply doing AHGD.co or 22314.xyz isn’t going to garner massive results in the foreseeable future, but for the thinking domainer, the opportunity is still very much alive and emphasised with some of these new ‘dead’ TLD’s.

A little common sense, reasoning, and logic would help all of us to better perceive the value proposition of particular domains within the new TLDs, and in turn will save all who call domaining their profession a lot of money. Instead of regurgitating useless dot coms or registering 20+ character domains, give it a little time: you might profit if played wisely.

To say that the new TLDs are dead, is a premature statement.

•••
A little common sense, reasoning, and logic would help all of us to better perceive the value proposition of particular domains within the new TLDs, and in turn will save all who call domaining their profession a lot of money.

sure they can be used. Just like .co can be used. The problem is the lack of demand and a very weak market.

Tens of millions in renwal fees were wasted by domainers on new GTLDs in the past 2 years.

How many reported sales by domainers do we know of? Most of what you see is $xx-xxx.

Some of the most active nGTLD domainers in the forum make $xxx per month. That vs. tens of millions that have been spent.

Some $xx-xxx sales vs. 8 figures investments. Investors are losing tens of millions. Maybe the nGTLDs will take off? The question is when. It does not seem that this will happen anytime soon.

How many years can investors afford to renew? Renew for another 5 years and we are talking about $100+ million in renewals. That vs. a mediocre stream of profits.

What if they never take off in a big way? Then that money would be lost forever.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Firstly, it’s very challenging to find a suitable .com, since all short, viable domain names are gone, and because so many are priced out of reality, other logical alternatives become attractive.
It's true that many .com are priced unrealistically, but you still have plenty of choice.
New extensions are attractive as long as you can get good names for a reasonable reg fee. Unfortunately many names are flagged as premium by the registry, are reserved or already in the hands of speculators.
Many names that are unattainable in .com are also out of reach in new extensions. Examples: LL, LLL, generic keywords.

So the end user is back to square one.
If they have to go to the aftermarket to find a good name and they agree to spend some $$$, what do you think they will do most of the time, will they choose a new extension or .com ?

Also, keep in mind they don't have to choose among hundreds of TLDs, there are only a few that could be relevant to their purpose. For example if I am working in the computer field .tech could possibly be suitable. .horse wouldn't. The vast majority of strings would not be relevant. Generic strings like xyz or gdn are pointless.

They have fewer alternatives than people think.

PS: it is very telling that we are seeing so few reported new TLD sales, yet there are now more than 20 million registered. Of course, we all know the registration counts are inflated. And for the most part they are garbage, nobody wants them.

There is a huge gap between reality and icann's sales pitch.

•••
Lots of of domains being dropped as reported. Of course they price it as "premium domains" with premium renewals. No bites as of yet.

•••
If new gTLDs are dead then why all the replies? Hmm LOL...

•••
If new gTLDs are dead then why all the replies? Hmm LOL...

I think some domainers wants to protect their own interests. The aftermarket has changed.

•••
Tens of millions in renwal fees were wasted by domainers on new GTLDs in the past 2 years.

Please please please NEVER forget the HUNDREDS of millions in renewal fees wasted by domainers on .coms!!!

•••
•••
I think some domainers wants to protect their own interests. The aftermarket has changed.

This is a fact, I've seen what they have for sale and how long they've been holding them. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Please please please NEVER forget the HUNDREDS of millions in renewal fees wasted by domainers on .coms!!!

Yes but at least we see millions of dollars of sales reported. 4L alone must have had $1 million of sales in the past 30 days.

This is not the case with domainers and the new extensions.

I see tens of millions lost in renewal fees with a few mediocre $xx- low $xxxx sales to make up for that.

Last edited:
•••
Yes but at least we see millions of dollars of sales reported. 4L alone must have had $1 million of sales in the past 30 days.

This is not the case with domainers and the new extensions.

I see tens of millions lost in renewal fees with a few mediocre $xx- low $xxxx sales to make up for that.

Feel free to post your few out of the millions lately, I'm curious..

•••
Five years from now the major new TLDs will still be around.

However many new TLD investors will no longer be domaining.

How long can you continue to renew a portfolio with no sales (regardless of TLD)? I have dropped the majority of the names I have registered in every TLD as aftermarket domains are not easy to sell. The further you get away from highly-accepted extensions the more difficult it is to make sales.

•••
Fyi the process is called curation - keeping the best names only

•••
What aftermarket are you talking about? The .com aftermarket is still as strong as ever. The gTLD aftermarket is still basically non-existing (with the exception of a few occasional low figure domainer sales here and there, most of them made by you actually).

Last edited:
•••
He says "Many, many of these new names get strong type-in traffic" ...
I find that hard to believe, unless they are all domainers? Am I missing something here or is it just another example of a play on words?

This is some of my ngtlds that have brought revenue the past few months:
upload_2016-9-21_14-6-47.png

It's not much but the ngtlds can indeed attract some traffic although I still don't know where this traffic comes from (maybe search engines?)
I find it hard to believe that someone typed in keyword[dot]keyword , or.. have they?

note that I own only a few ngtlds so I can't provide more solid statistics

•••
What aftermarket are you talking about? The .com aftermarket is still as strong as ever. The gTLD aftermarket is still basically non-existing (with the exception of a few occasional low figure domainer sales here and there, most of them made by you actually).

6N .com, 5L .com, CCC .net + .org, two-word .net + org and so on.

As you probably have seen, I have NEVER have dissed good .com names. I search for these seven days a week myself.

Last edited:
•••
6N .com, 5L .com, CCC .net + .org, two-word .net + org and so on.

As you probably have seen, I have NEVER have dissed good .com names. I search for these seven days a week myself.

When did these have a stable Aftermarket at all? Some of them had fringe value during the hight of the Chinese craze. But otherwise that is close to worthless categories you are listing.

•••

Both sides of the argument are guilty of being a pot calling the kettle black. It's hypocritical to make such a statement, no matter which side it comes from.

If I was a ngtld investor, I wouldn't be wasting my time vehemently defending them on threads, I'd be too busy quietly hoovering up all the reasonably priced gems with the quiet knowledge that I will make bank in the near future. But that's just me.

I think the creme de la creme will have good future value, the abc.xyzs etc. There's very limited quantity of such quality in each string.

So while yes, you can argue some people want to protect their interests, you can just as easily argue the same for both sides of the coin, one side is clearly more insecure.

My overall opinion on the matter is that finding good new gs is too time consuming, and in my personal experience, my time has been much better spent mining .coms.

No matter what your position on this debate is, Frank dropping such vast swathes of inventory is a massive cause for concern. It's hard to take his reasoning at face value, because he's hardly going to confirm it was a failure just before he releases them. No sane businessman would do that.

mad409 will probably be along shortly to question my sales, so let me give him an example. Had I been too busy focusing on new gs, I probably would have missed L/ot/tery/S/erv/ice.king on the drops, picked it up for 200 and flipped it two weeks later for 7k. Money talks. I've many more examples to list but I generally don't share my sales data because of the ambulance chasers/spammers in this industry.

Last edited:
•••
I think some domainers wants to protect their own interests.
How ? The discussions we are having here have zero impact on end user choices.

Some new TLD investors show confidence (even when it's not backed up by previous experience) but how long will they be able to survive without making sales ?
Even the registries admit the situation is difficult.

In fact there is no need to badmouth the new extensions, because they are shooting themselves in the foot through outrageous pricing, domain hoarding, and registrant-adverse policies. When you don't play fair, people will stop playing with you because they don't like being cheated on.

•••
Weird you say that. I'm seeing 10 pages now of new gTLD bashing. But hey, it's all in the interest of helping your fellow domainer, right? So to the kids, take it from the dinosaurs: This is all "education". Don't you wander from the pasture, now.

•••
When you have registries stealing domains from registrants what is the motivation to keep buying?

How ? The discussions we are having here have zero impact on end user choices.

Some new TLD investors show confidence (even when it's not backed up by previous experience) but how long will they be able to survive without making sales ?
Even the registries admit the situation is difficult.

In fact there is no need to badmouth the new extensions, because they are shooting themselves in the foot through outrageous pricing, domain hoarding, and registrant-adverse policies. When you don't play fair, people will stop playing with you because they don't like being cheated on.

•••
This is one of the biggest issues with new gtlds!
When you have registries stealing domains from registrants what is the motivation to keep buying?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back