NameSilo

NetSol attempts end-run around Strato

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
Almost missed this one from the past week.

Strato is a very large German web hosting company with over 240,000 domains. Seems like Network Solutions is trying to do an end-run around them chosing a new registrar and trying to sell renewls directly to the domain owners. Didn't NetSol try something like this a year ago with another group, I guess they don't learn?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35462.html
Strato formerly had a resale agreement with NSI, and registered all its .com, .net and .org domains through the US registrar. In January, the agreement ended, and Strato decided to relocate all its US domains to its own subsidiary, Cronon.

However, NSI wouldn't let those domains go. Instead, it approached all German domain owners with a letter - written in English - asking them to renew their registration with fresh contracts at a price of $35 or more.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I figured with the evil empire verisign no longer a majority owner they would of cleaned up their act. It seems I was wrong

•••
•••
Re: NetSol attempts end-run around Strato

Originally posted by aww
Almost missed this one from the past week.

Strato is a very large German web hosting company with over 240,000 domains. Seems like Network Solutions is trying to do an end-run around them chosing a new registrar and trying to sell renewls directly to the domain owners. Didn't NetSol try something like this a year ago with another group, I guess they don't learn?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35462.html

If I remember it right, Strato used to be one of Netsol's resellers/partners/whatchamacallit but Strato's contract expired. If that contract has a stipulation that Netsol will retain control of those domains upon expiration but w/o renewing the contract, that'll explain why Netsol got those domains.

I'm not sure how it works. But I think that a reseller/partner whatever will actually register domain names using a registrar's systems rather than their own. Call it outsourcing, for lack of a better term.

If that's how it happened, that definitely means Netsol has "rights" to those domains, if indeed those domains were registered using Netsol's computers.

Oh boy, here we go again.

8-X

•••
If Netsol is allowed to do this that opens up the door for the Registrar you resell for to do the same to your reseller account. There's no difference really between what they were doing and what alot of us do.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back