Dynadot

nameofbrand-service.com legal issues?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi All

I probably already know the answer to this one but I just wanted to put it out there to get your feedback.

I have a client who sells 'widgets' lets say. Now these 'widgets' are for a certain type of car, lets say a 'bmw' for example.

Is it still considered trademark infringemnet if he has a name like www.bmw-carseatcovers.com - 'we only sell carseat covers for BMW!' ;)

Like I said I supect I know the answer but your feedback is appreciated. Especially from those who have had or still have a similar type name or business.

Thanks

Lux

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ok, if you were a reseller of BMW products then there would not be a problem because most large companies extend the use of their trademarks to affiliates.
However if its unrelated then you could get into trouble.

•••
Zeeble said:
ok, if you were a reseller of BMW products then there would not be a problem because most large companies extend the use of their trademarks to affiliates.
However if its unrelated then you could get into trouble.

That's my understanding of it as well. If your client is offering products authorized by the trademark holder then they have a legitimate use for the domain name.

If the carseat cover seller in your example is only offering aftermarket products not endorsed by BMW, I doubt BMW would be pleased with seeing their trademark in the domain.

•••
Thanks for the respsonses guys. It's pretty much what I'd figured anyway but it's nice to get some feedback from guys that have been there ;)

Cheers

Lux

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back