Dynadot

Name Issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CrazyTech

Wordpress & Web Hosting GuyVIP Member
Impact
Well, I recently acquired the domain BudgetHost.biz and was thinking about using it. I realized that their is Budget Host which is an association of inns in the US and Canada. They have budgethost.com.

Would there be a potential trademark issue if I branded as BudgetHost.biz?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Definatly IMO,I would'nt challenge them.I'd either offer them the name and make a few bucks,Or drop it altogether.Just MO

•••
The term “Budget Host” is very generic. It describes the product/service you are providing, a budget hosting service.

I personally don’t believe there would be a TM issue, but please don’t take my word I am not a professional in this field. Do you know if that term has been registered as a trademark?

•••
I don't believe they have a TM on the term. I noticed the website seems very unprofessional for a large company and it seems to be a loosely-based online setting. For example, many of them are called Budget Host Inn yet when you go to that domain it redirects to a travel website.

I agree that the term is general and this was my thinking, but additional input on the situation is greatly appreciated and needed at this point.

•••
Actually they do according to the Trademark office. They have a word mark for BUDGET HOST. Even if you are using it for a different goods and services, there is the chance that they can come and get it from you via UDRP as the confusion factor is far easier to prove there apparently. I wouldn't build your business on it.

•••
Thanks for pointing that out. That's definitely frustrating that I am forced to pass up such a good name but at the same time I don't want to give anyone any reason to start trouble.

•••
sunken said:
Even if you are using it for a different goods and services, there is the chance that they can come and get it from you via UDRP as the confusion factor is far easier to prove there apparently. I wouldn't build your business on it.

Sure there's a chance. But some UDRPs are won precisely because the domain
owner's use was different and/or unrelated to what the trademark party is
registered for.

The main question is "Why did I register this domain?". The more specific, the
better.

•••
One of the oldest questions in the book, true. But Google it or seek advice if you really wanted to develop it. Bottom line: Having a TM on the name does not mean that no one else can use the same name for a completely different purpose. (Think Delta faucets vs. Delta Airlines, etc.).
If you're sold on this name, seek counsel.
-Allan

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back