Domain Empire

question Name.com expiring domains questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey NPers,

I did searches everywhere and can find very little discussion about name.com's expiring domains. I love the format - They start at $199 (but quickly go to $129?) and every day they drop the price until they hit $11.99. ($199 start? $129 Day 1 - $79 Day 2 - $39.99 Day 3 - $19.99 Day 4 - $11.99 Last day).

Here's a link to their expired domains page if anyone needs it: https://www.name.com/expired_domains.php

But I'm unclear about:

1. Unlike Godaddy Closeout, where they hold the domain for up to 5 days and when it hits your account you feel secure knowing it probably won't be renewed, these domains go straight into your account. Can these names still be renewed by the previous owner and taken from your account? The whois updates instantly to show your information as soon as you checkout. And it still shows: Domain Status: autoRenewPeriod

2. At what time do they drop the prices usually? There is a countdown clock next to all of the domains and I assumed when it went from "3 days 0 minutes" to "2 days 11 hours 59 minutes", the prices would drop, but that wasn't the case. I've seen LLLL.coms on there at the $39.99 price and I wanted to grab them at $19.99 but I always miss that price change.

3. What time are new domains added? Sometimes I check the list on expireddomains.net and see that I missed some good names at $129. It would definitely be useful to know this.

Pro Tip: Just go right away to Advanced Search Options - Display Count - 500. Looking at names 20 at a time is torture.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Can these names still be renewed by the previous owner and taken from your account?

I don't know if its possible, but during last two years, I have bought 100+ domains from name.com expired domains and never had any domain taken from my account.

2. At what time do they drop the prices usually?

Around midnight MST.

3. What time are new domains added?
Same time as the price drop

•••
Thanks, VNA.

I actually sent Name.com an email and linked to this thread, and this is what they sent me:

Thank you for contacting Name.com. When a name is registered from the expiring list it is renewed and the contact information is updated. The status should change shortly after renewal, but that is not a reason for concern. The name is yours when the registration is successful.

As for the other questions, I do not have a lot of information regarding pricing/times right now but I have reached out to get more information put on the expiring search page. At this time I can pass along what I know. Basically, these domains are offered in a dutch auction format (start at a higher rate and go down) and are registered on a first come first served basis

Fe4el free to reach back out in a few weeks to see if there is an update on getting more copy aded to that page.

I look forward to hearing back from you and thank you for choosing Name.com!

Regards,

Sky - http://www.name.com/cs/sky

•••
Correct me if i am wrong, i bought several domain on name.com from 5 day expiring domains, once domain enters from 5 days expiring on name. com everyday price decreases. usually new sets of expiring domain after 12:00 am where added base on my observation. For 4 letter domain, it is really hard to get lesser than 19.99, mostly buyers buy it early like when it becomes 39.99, most buyers grab it very fast. If the domain is less then 24 hours the price decreases.

•••
•••
Has anyone come across renewed domains listed on name.com expiring list ? I have 3 on my cart that all say they expire 2016. I asked support how that is and was told that the data on 'header' may maybe different from the 'body'. So I checked again 2 have expired this May but with this one domain , the body (guessing they mean 'raw registrar data') says it's expiring 2016.

•••
As far as my knowledge here is a answer for your question 2

it does not matter which registrar drop the domain. Only the prefix matters.

.com - Drops around 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm UTC
.net - Drops around 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm UTC
.org - Drops around 2.30 pm to 3.30 pm UTC
.de - Drops around 3.00 am to 3.30 am UTC
.info - Drops around 11.30 am to 12.00 am UTC

Different prefix have different drop times.

There are also some ccTLD which dropped manually and no one can tell the drop time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back