NameSilo

.mobi .Mobi's missed the boat

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I really am starting to think that. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that .Mobi is starting to catch on in the world. There is just a lot of hot air which is mainly being created by the domainers on this forum still hoping to see their investments taking off. The Mtld site also does not inspire any great confidence and it looks like they and sedo are trying to squeeze the last dregs out of the .mobi gravytrain before it halts to a grinding stop. I invested too(67 .Mobi's) but I have given up hoping that it's going to go anywhere. I think (IMO) .mobi's going nowhere. It is not going to take off and is not being accepted as the great big new mobile internet revolution for mobiles. There still has been no grand promotion to bring it to the general public and I dont think there will be either. And by the time there eventually is such an awareness campaign it will be much to late. The much vaunted investors like Microsoft, Nokia and others have not shown any signs of support and I think never will. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I for one have given up hope and will just let my 67 .mobi's expire quietly. Not even worth putting them up for sale on the market place here as no-one makes any bids or offers on the .mobi's being offered there. Which goes to show that the market for .mobi is slowly dying. I'll count my losses on this one. I did think that .mobi was going to make it big like most of you but I think the writings on the wall now.
Good luck to the rest of you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
binaryman said:
I invested too(67 .Mobi's) but I have given up hoping that it's going to go anywhere.
pm me your unwanted 67x .mobis as well ... :yell:

•••
Jeff said:
You're missing the point ... emerging mobile technologies (browsers and auto detection, specifically) can, and I believe will, be structured toward "M Dots", /mobile, and mobile.domain.com's all on the .COM brand, for instance Google.com™ IMHO.
Why, WHY, are you here at all, then? If that's truly what you believe, and I have no doubt at all that it is, what's the point, exactly, of you posting here?

•••
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.......

I too must admit that I've lost a great deal of respect for you as well over the last months. You avoid questions right and left, endlessly return to the same statements (whether or not they have anything to do with the subject at hand), and never seem to admit when you're wrong.

#1 - You were completely wrong about your BOFA.com statement...yet you ignore that.

#2 - You are so completely against .mobi that you refuse to admit that the recent auction over at Sedo was successful. Come on, get real. DotMobi is one year old, yet the average sale price was what, ~$8,500.00? Many of which you consider "DUDS"!? How the hell can you possibly consider results like that anything but a success?

#3 - I would say that this pretty much rules out your whole "Google.com, and ONLY Google.COM" argument...

Seriously, Jeff, stop being immature and live by your own words please. "Be cool. Be polite. Be professional."? I hate to break it to you, but you're definitely not being "cool" here in the .MOBI Forum; it's far from "polite" to constantly and endlessly piss on the investments and opinions of many people; and sadly, you're being quite un-"professional" in all this. I completely respect when someone cautions about making heavy investments in a questionable (?) TLD...but that is not what you've been doing here as of late. You're flatout and relentlessly bashing both our investments and the .mobi extension for no apparent reason. You can call it whatever buttered-up disguise you like, but that doesn't change the fact that you have absolutely no reason in the world to constantly post here anywhere near this much.

I fully expect some good answers, because I am getting ready to begin a good long discussion about you with the NamePros Management. Your behavior is completely out of line here in the dotMobi forum, and your 25k post count / seniority here are no excuse for such ridiculous behavior.

Last edited:
•••
I know where your going,

no company is really advertising mobi's at all, its very risky investment, it could pay off or it could be a bad investment, but like the saying...

"no risk, no reward"

the thing is tomorrow of next week the public could get hold of mobi's, companys coudl start investing huge into them in terms of advertising, its a huge risk it could be beneficial or it could not be?

alot of the big boys seem to be using sites like http://mobile.live.com I use this as a example because when I told my cousin about mobi's he said "ahhh whats the paint the will just use the .com and refered to the hotmail link"??

all valid points, I think the company's whop are so called investors in .mobi need to promote it more effectively.

•••
Egnited said:
Come on, get real. DotMobi is one year old, yet the average sale price was what, ~$8,500.00? Many of which you consider "DUDS"!? How the hell can you possibly consider results like that anything but a success?
Actually the average was over $10,000 because some of the names didn't get sold. I asked Jeff that question directly, to at least stand up and admit that the auction was a success based on the sales. He never did of course.

It is clear to me that Jeff and snoop and whoever are just racheting up the same old rhetoric in order to take the focus off the fact that the auction WAS a substantial success for .mobi. People don't throw around 10's of thousands of dollars on one name for nothing. The money spent tells the story about how this extension is really doing, plain and simple.

When you have a brand new extension fetching prices comparable to .net and .info with development requirements attached, that is a big deal.

I'm really starting to think that there is some sort of hidden agenda going on here. Every time we see something big happen, all these dudes come out of the woodwork and start posting the same ol' tired rhetoric to take the focus off of what is happening. What is their motivation? Who knows, but I will go out on a limb and say that they're not posting here for their health or because they've got free time to kill.

The money speaks for itself, so whatever they say really doesn't matter all that much and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
•••
props to you garrett

guys just use your ignore feature honestly. if everyone ignores him he cant get his rocks off doing whatever it is he does.

•••
hmm/

jeff your just rediculous. OP does have the spirit of mobi missing the boat, but the real thread was about the OP and what he should do. He made the right choice. If you want to make it a platform to bash mobi its fine as long as OP is done with his crisis. It appears that he is.

Google has so many irons in the fire its rediculous. There is google classic search, google mobile search, all kinds of google applications. they have gone down the path and started branding a g prefix. Google branded google.

now because .com is king, and has more traffic then eveyone combined x (insert number here), google.com is branded as well. if .mobi becomes synomymous with mobile search they will want .com and .mobi and think there is a potential for that! ironically google becoming the premier search, and even a verb, has helped to underscore the branding of .com as well. (my mother is cpu illiterate, last month the easiest instructions to use a cpu were
1) turn it on (if necessary) 2) open explorer. 3) type google.com 4) enter your search ideas 5) pick some 6) turn the computer off (optional)

I think most of their ads aim for large images of google and may include the google.com on the bottom, some not at all. But if .tld take off one day, google will have that extension blazing and that extension may be .mobi.

if you want to singlehandedly shout chicken little you should do so elsewhere.
very rarely do you have anything unique to say, you post the most here, and have the least invested in the extension. You claim your heart is in the right place in looking out for our ecosystem, but drain and piss on this one. and in your terms, i can just go on and say anything right now as long as i have a smiley attached to it? :hi:-,

Jeff said:
Relax and have a nice warmed piece of pumpkin pie friend ... I specifically, as always, posted the :imho: smilie after my opinion and post! :rolleyes:

Enough, NP hof or not, something's got to give. :imho:

Last edited:
•••
Vacation©.

dagersh said:
Why, WHY, are you here at all, then? If that's truly what you believe, and I have no doubt at all that it is, what's the point, exactly, of you posting here?

Because it affects the future of the .MOBI, IMHO. :gl:

garrett200 said:
When you have a brand new extension fetching prices comparable to .net and .info with development requirements attached, that is a big deal.

It will be a matter of who the Buyer's are ... and then the extent to which mTLD enforces the Rules to ensure those developments, for the "ecosystem" IMHO. :yell:

Egnited said:
How the hell can you possibly consider results like that anything but a success?

Same as above, we'll of course have to see how it all shakes out ... all auctions cumulatively ... with regard to exactly who the Buyer's are, and what specific developments ensue IMHO. I've never strayed for these points ... in time, we shall find out if the auctions were a "success" (which we all may define differently, as well), or not. :imho:

I would say that this pretty much rules out your whole "Google.com, and ONLY Google.COM" argument...

The context for Google.com was in light of advancing, emerging mobile technologies (specifically, browsers and auto detection / GPS) ... which, in my judgement, will be built out on existing .COM domains / websites / platforms, IMHO. :talk:

Your behavior is completely out of line here in the dotMobi forum ...

My humble thoughts and opinions are, at times, not the same as yours ... or, for the most part, most of those who would most frequent the .MOBI Forum™ naturally. It's not "out of line" ... but I went to bed last night thinking that perhaps we all may best be more healthy in the days and weeks ahead while the auctions play out if I initiated a self-imposed respit from our beloved #1 Namepros .MOBI Forum™ - I'm sure this will please some, and I know based on the PM's that I constantly receive ... it may be disheartening to others (particularly those newer to domains, #1 Namepros™ ... and the .MOBI specifically), IMHO. :guilty:
I'm sorry.

So, with that being said ... I apologize for any inconvience and Good Luck with Sedo Rounds I and II, as well as the .MOBI's at the upcoming Traffic! Please PLEASE keep my highlighted thread regarding the Buyer's (-and- their specific development plans) up-to-date ... and I'll see you all when I get back from my vacation trip in November! :music:

PS. I missed the post regarding "Bofa.com" ... upon further review, it appears owned by Bank of America, and it seems to now forward to the BankOfamerica.com homepage - sorry for not noticing and clarifying on this one item earlier. The main point, as it related to the thread at the time, though ... it Bank of America is not going to develop and re-brand an BankOfAmerica.mobi - just as Google won't with Google.mobi - in my personal view - to me, in light of what's to seriously come with mobile web technolgies / evolution, it just doesn't make much business sense! :gl:

Be well, and have a great .MOBI October™ friends! :wave: :hearts:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Have a great vacation Jeff :)

I think it's a good idea for you to take a vacation. You hit that all important milestone and in actuality, there really isn't that much to discuss on the .mobi valuations at present..

Once the buyers from this auction have been identified and presumably, a couple more auctions (Traffic + Sedo #2) completed by then, it'll be much easier to truly guage where this .mobi thing is at.

Once these facts come in, and a couple more auctions set a particular precedent (regardless of which way), we'll be in a better position to discuss these matters, knowing the Full Story™.

•••
:sick: .....

Have a good vacation, Jeff.

•••
Originally Posted by dagersh - Why, WHY, are you here at all, then? If that's truly what you believe, and I have no doubt at all that it is, what's the point, exactly, of you posting here?
Jeff said:
Because it affects the future of the .MOBI, IMHO. :gl:
There - that tells a lot!! You replying that your being here 'affects' the future of .MOBI!!?!?!? D-: :rolleyes: AS-IF!!!!

Jeff said:
I initiated a self-imposed respit from our beloved #1 Namepros .MOBI Forum™
Well..., BYE!!

•••
Jeff's taking a vacation.. Either leave him a friendly comment or stay on this thread's topic please. This'll get locked otherwise (and not necessarily by someone as understanding as me who'll just stop at locking it).

•••
Pretty sad really.

Ive known Jeff for several years, weve had our ups and downs but ive never seen him post anything negative or made a personal jibe about anyone, ever. And I think those people here who are launching painfully lame and continual tirades of abuse towards him because of his opinion should really wake up to themselves. So he's cautious towards .mobi which means he has a differing opinion to you, so what?

Actually, Ive just re-read this thread and I have to say that Jeff poses a number of questions and makes a number a points that I, for one, totally agree with. See that, I made an opinion, strike me down with stones.

Namepros is a forum. Forums are intended for discussion. Discussions lead to alternate points of view. Differing opinions do not equate to "apologise now for not agreeing with my predictions". Whether .mobi is a success or not or whether the sedo auction was a success or not is only a matter of opinion which everyone is entitled to. Having differing opinions is what makes forums work, for me, they allow me to open my mind to alternate perspectives and allow me to re-evalute that which i believed before to maybe not be so true..

Jeeez guys FFS.

•••
Badger,

I would agree with that EXCEPT that anytime something big and great happens with this extension, rather than acknowledge it, Jeff tries to put his personal spin on why it's not really success, etc. etc.

Because he can't refute the fact that the sales prices were a success at this stage in the game, he says the auction was not a success because we don't know who the buyers are. Give me a break.

I'm just starting to see what everyone else saw earlier this year. No matter what the success, he is there to offer up a reason why it's not. Many times they are B.S. reasons that don't make a whole lot of sense, and are obviously only intended to create unwarranted doubt and fear about this extension.

There, I've said my piece, and I really don't care what the ramifications are.

Last edited:
•••
I fully understand what youre saying Garrett, im not sure what ramifications youre speaking of, but you have an opinion - thats great... It may not correspond with my opinion, but its all good, im interested to hear what you have to say.

I can understand how people disagree with Jeff - or anyone for that matter. But there's a whole world of difference between disagreeing with someone over something thats yet to come to pass and being personally offensive as a result of the difference.

Theres a guy I know who constantly hassles me about my work. He says that the internet is evil, it will never last and that he relishes the day it all comes crashing down. Ok, not an opinion most of us agree with but what he says doesnt bother me, hes not personally offensive, i can ignore him (which i generally do) but on the same token i would never get emotive or abusive towards him just because he has this view which differs from mine. Its his opinion and he has a right to express it.

After all, the last i looked, I still live in a democratic society. (just about)

•••
badg, I've got to dispute you here. There's no doubt Jeff has a very thick skin after all that is thrown at him, and yeah, he doesn't disparage anyone outright. But you also have not been in these threads for the last year, having to deal with his relentless 'same lame' POVs on things over and over and over, no matter what the thread!! He 'always' puts a damper on any thread! He's been asked, pleaded with, begged, etc. to please stop posting the exact same things in every post, and yet he still keeps doing it. He owns 'maybe' 4 names, which for some reason are a secret, and yet he consistently posts in any thread of any type of mobi talk/news between posters, with his unrealistic demands of 'corporate intentions', 'ecosystem', 'usual suspects' etc. The reason a new forum was created and members left here was literally 90% because of him! Like it or not, that is fact. I'm sure he's a nice guy overall, but he's nothing more than a complete downer in this forum to those that want to discuss the mobi extension. Even the other emphatic naysayers here have gotten bored, and left. This is not about people only wanting to hear or say 'good' things about .mobi, it's about a consistant, and constant, ragging of the same things, in 'every' new thread, from the same person, over, and over, and over!!

ps: this was not an unfriendly comment

•••
I hate to belabor the point Badger because as Reece pointed out this is not the topic of the thread. But it is really starting to seem like MORE than just opinion and more like some kind of agenda. It seriously does.

The 'ramifications' I was referring to is the locking of the thread, or worse.

•••
the problem is a forum is for interacting.... what Jeff does usually is a rehashed monologue in every thread.

im all for opinions, but after a year, that kinda crap really gets old.

its clear he doesnt want to have a real discussion.. and often times it has little or nothing at all to do with the original topic... or he finds some way to "make" it have something do with the original topic.

its old, and just about 100% of the people that have been reading these threads everyday are tired of it.. i dont think that many people are against opposing opinions.. this is something more sinister.

Jeff should learn to interact more like a human being, and less like a robot.

•••
Hey, whats with the Jeff bashing? I actually respect the guy for having the balls to say what he means despite knowing he'll be lambasted for it... ok, he may do it just for the fun of winding you lot up, who knows?
But, as far as .mobi goes, it's far far too early to see results; their aren't the sites out there yet & Dot mobi should be being pushed hard in the trade press not TV adverts to Joe Public... this needs to be sold hard B2B before it hits the man in the street. This will take another year or two but it is happening and will continue to do so.
I cannot see the point in pushing this onto the public just yet because lets face it, the content isn't their yet and it will take a long time to develop.
I have recently sold a domain to a top DJ who is developing a .mobi music site and this is where the action is, cutting edge youth applications & quite simply the most simple & practical & useful sites for the public at large (weather, news, gossip etc...)
2008 may well be a quiet year too but this cannot fail to happen, the internet cannot fail to go mobile (especially in the developing world) thats why In have a number of VISA type domains (for passport type visa's not credit cards ;) & water supplies / batteries etc.. useful applications for working people across the world.
I can't see a knitting site becoming a big hitter on the mobile web but focus on practical uses & it will work for you... .mobi is a potential part of that development & personally I can't see how that can fail either but then again, I don't have a crystal ball..

Regards

Gary

P.s. Binaryman... if you want to PM me your names I'd be interested to see where you were going with them... even if they're not for sale!

•••
newdomainer.mobi said:
Hey, whats with the Jeff bashing? I actually respect the guy for having the balls to say what he means despite knowing he'll be lambasted for it...

this is what everyone starts out saying.... then after you are in the forum longer than a few months, you start to realize what others were griping about is absolutely true.

•••
Ok, this will be the one and only time I will fuel the fire...

Jeff is extremely passive aggressive but when everyone responds to his prodding, like I am here, you are just fueling the fire. Best to let it go. Everyone focusing on Jeff is doing two things: one, taking the focus off the real subjects of the threads and two giving him exactly what he wants, confrontation. Ok, I'm done. Looking forward to the auction today. My best to everyone, even Jeff!

•••
inetanywhere said:
Ok, this will be the one and only time I will fuel the fire...

Jeff is extremely passive aggressive but when everyone responds to his prodding, like I am here, you are just fueling the fire. Best to let it go. Everyone focusing on Jeff is doing two things: one, taking the focus off the real subjects of the threads and two giving him exactly what he wants, confrontation. Ok, I'm done. Looking forward to the auction today. My best to everyone, even Jeff!

I had decided not to post in this thread at all (because we just can't win here, and increasing the post count in a thread with such a title is probably exactly what Jeff wants) but now I can't resist posting in order to agree - for what it's worth - with inetanywhere's recommendations.

Having said that, there is an amazing number of great substantive pro-mobi points above - it's just pity they're all likely to be discounted by the majority of new readers, IMO.

See you at the auction!

Last edited:
•••
He Knows EXACTLY What He Is Doing!

Egnited said:
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.......

I too must admit that I've lost a great deal of respect for you as well over the last months. You avoid questions right and left, endlessly return to the same statements (whether or not they have anything to do with the subject at hand), and never seem to admit when you're wrong.

#1 - You were completely wrong about your BOFA.com statement...yet you ignore that.

#2 - You are so completely against .mobi that you refuse to admit that the recent auction over at Sedo was successful. Come on, get real. DotMobi is one year old, yet the average sale price was what, ~$8,500.00? Many of which you consider "DUDS"!? How the hell can you possibly consider results like that anything but a success?

#3 - I would say that this pretty much rules out your whole "Google.com, and ONLY Google.COM" argument...

Seriously, Jeff, stop being immature and live by your own words please. "Be cool. Be polite. Be professional."? I hate to break it to you, but you're definitely not being "cool" here in the .MOBI Forum; it's far from "polite" to constantly and endlessly piss on the investments and opinions of many people; and sadly, you're being quite un-"professional" in all this. I completely respect when someone cautions about making heavy investments in a questionable (?) TLD...but that is not what you've been doing here as of late. You're flatout and relentlessly bashing both our investments and the .mobi extension for no apparent reason. You can call it whatever buttered-up disguise you like, but that doesn't change the fact that you have absolutely no reason in the world to constantly post here anywhere near this much.

I fully expect some good answers, because I am getting ready to begin a good long discussion about you with the NamePros Management. Your behavior is completely out of line here in the dotMobi forum, and your 25k post count / seniority here are no excuse for such ridiculous behavior.

Jeff is the #1 Reason why I don't even bother coming here as much as I used to.
It's very obvious in his posts with his highlighted keywords and that sig of his what he is up to and playing most everyone here like a fiddle.

If I didn't know any better he is in on how much this sub forum is making. Keep it going with asking stupid ridiculous questions to keep the view count and the search engines happy.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what and how he consistently keeps this going. I'm no seo expert, BUT I don't have to be reading some of his posts with hidden keywords that keep the traffic coming and ultimately lining his pocket at every ones expense imo.

He is a black eye on this extension and as far as I'm concerned has given np 2 black eyes for getting involved with such a scheme.

•••
Sometimes I think you guys like talking about Jeff more than .MOBI. He apologized, admitted he was wrong, and said he was leaving the MOBI forum alone on page 4 of this thread. I guess Reece was the only one that noticed.

Jeremy and Andres already created the perfect Jeff-bashing utopia if you can't get enough. Let's use the NamePros MOBI board for discussing MOBI from this point forward.

RJ

•••
-RJ- said:
Sometimes I think you guys like talking about Jeff more than .MOBI. He apologized, admitted he was wrong, and said he was leaving the MOBI forum alone on page 4 of this thread. I guess Reece was the only one that noticed.

Jeremy and Andres already created the perfect Jeff-bashing utopia if you can't get enough. Let's use the NamePros MOBI board for discussing MOBI from this point forward.

RJ

RJ,

The mission of the other discussion forum is not to bash Jeff.

It's true, Jeff's name will come up in posts, but it's only because some of the posters tend to be those who left NP to avoid the conflict.

NP can be a good discussion forum alternative. Having folks not convinced that mobi will be utilized as an alternative marketing tool in the coming mobile revolution can lead to healthy discussion.

The concern has never been the alternative view. The concern has been the morphing of most every thread into a singular debate with very similar overtones. The direction was coming almost entirely from one source.

My objective at NP from the very start was to blog about my experience in domaining... my experience as a CPG marketer... and my strong belief that .mobi is a legitimate long-term TLD alternative for the mobile space.

So, back to that.

Until you or Mark ban me, I will also point out concerns with the mobi forum.

NP is important enough in terms of the .mobi movement (as is the other forum) that I feel a strong need to be a part of it.

Jeremy Padawer

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back