Dynadot

.mobi .Mobi's missed the boat

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I really am starting to think that. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that .Mobi is starting to catch on in the world. There is just a lot of hot air which is mainly being created by the domainers on this forum still hoping to see their investments taking off. The Mtld site also does not inspire any great confidence and it looks like they and sedo are trying to squeeze the last dregs out of the .mobi gravytrain before it halts to a grinding stop. I invested too(67 .Mobi's) but I have given up hoping that it's going to go anywhere. I think (IMO) .mobi's going nowhere. It is not going to take off and is not being accepted as the great big new mobile internet revolution for mobiles. There still has been no grand promotion to bring it to the general public and I dont think there will be either. And by the time there eventually is such an awareness campaign it will be much to late. The much vaunted investors like Microsoft, Nokia and others have not shown any signs of support and I think never will. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I for one have given up hope and will just let my 67 .mobi's expire quietly. Not even worth putting them up for sale on the market place here as no-one makes any bids or offers on the .mobi's being offered there. Which goes to show that the market for .mobi is slowly dying. I'll count my losses on this one. I did think that .mobi was going to make it big like most of you but I think the writings on the wall now.
Good luck to the rest of you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Glad to hear it Fred!
Listen to the missus, they're always right, well usually. :hehe:

You have the luxury of a year. I would rather go down with the titanic than see it sold for scrap and become the next QE2 :imho:
Not that i think its scrap before the naysayers jump on my carcass :hehe:

I am actually buzzing after yesterday and looking forward to next months offering.

Just seen the list on mobility. :hi:

Take care Binarymeister and enjoy the coming months & years :imho:

EDITED: Unnecessary attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
When I feel neagitve.. I get out the old domain name analyzer.. copy a page from wikipedia into it, and let it run on .com .net. .mobi. When you see the sheer # of names regged.. names that you might not even consider registering.. and names that are STILL available in .net but taken in .mobi.. You will feel better.

•••
Mathematically, and realistically, I don't see how the "ecosystem" can be built and flourish in the present state of affairs IMHO. Time is not on .MOBI's side, as Mr. Binary has alluded in his original post, as well. That being said, if some actual End users / developers participated in acquiring premium .MOBI's in Sedo's auctions - as well as those forthcoming at Traffic and Sedo Round II - AS WELL AS mTLD ENFORCING the development rules for ALL .MOBI's, there may still stand a chance for the .MOBI to carve out, at a minimum, a niche - potentially even a healthy one - in the burgeoning mobile web / namespace, in my view. At the end of the day, Binary's concerns are very real and they are pure ... it's up to mTLD to ensure the developed "ecosystem" for its future viability! :yell: :imho:
Hopefully the significant Sedo Round I proceeds will go toward that end ... :!:
Good Luck to all.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Yelo? Is that you? :hehe:

•••
Jeff said:
Mathematically, and realistically, I don't see how the "ecosystem" can be built and flourish in the present state of affairs IMHO. Time is not on .MOBI's side, as Mr. Binary has alluded in his original post, as well. That being said, if some actual End users / developers participated in acquiring premium .MOBI's in Sedo's auctions - as well as those forthcoming at Traffic and Sedo Round II - AS WELL AS mTLD ENFORCING the development rules for ALL .MOBI's, there may still stand a chance for the .MOBI to carve out, at a minimum, a niche - potentially even a healthy one - in the burgeoning mobile web / namespace, in my view. At the end of the day, Binary's concerns are very real and they are pure ... it's up to mTLD to ensure the developed "ecosystem" for its future viability! :yell: :imho:
Good Luck to all.
-Jeff B-)
This feels like a long winded version of telling a guy standing on the edge of a bridge to go ahead and jump. Just my opinion.

•••
Jeff said:
Good Luck to all.
-Jeff B-)
Boy your eyes must of lighted up seeing a 'possible' crack to exploit with your 'schmeco' talk!!

(aren't you on vacation??)

•••
I think the comments are right, the last 12 mths were crucial and it does look like the extension has missed the boat, even the backers have decided on alternatives. The reason most people were buying these domains 12 mths ago such as the backers and possibility of defaulting have disappeared. This obviously isn't something that is easy to swallow for buyers of these domains of course. I think ultimately .mobi will be seen as a cheap second best for a mobile site, I can't see this ever being a premium extension, more like something comparable to .info.

•••
snoop, if .info is not a premium extension, nor .net as was noted in yesterdays exchanges, and definitely not .biz, please, what is a 'premium' extension worth owning besides .com???

Let me guess.... uh .cc?? :rolleyes:

•••
OMG what is this? The second wave of doom.mobi?

What is wrong with this picture??
We just had an extremely successful sedo auction selling under 100 names for over $800,000.00!
What is goin on here?
Do they need to be a million each for someone to say.. 'well ya.. maybe u got a chance." ??

Even if we get $100 a pop for our names, its still better than a top-notch premium keyword .ws would sell for and its up to 10x what we paid depending on when it was bought!

Come on .. give it a rest please.

*remembering exactly WHY I stopped spending so much time here*

This place is too negative and unproductive for any serious .mobi domainer.

•••
hawkeye said:
snoop, if .info is not a premium extension, nor .net as was noted in yesterdays exchanges, and definitely not .biz, please, what is a 'premium' extension worth owning besides .com???

Let me guess.... uh .cc?? :rolleyes:

.com and popular country codes for local market sites, ie .co.uk, .de etc

•••
snoop said:
.com and popular country codes for local market sites, ie .co.uk, .de etc
A country code is only popular for the country it represents, and only for those in that country that are 'supposed to be' the only regs of it!! And if one wasn't lucky enough to get the prime .coms that you and some other 'parkers' got, then tough titty to them???? You really should be ragging on ICANN for letting so many extensions be released and ultimately forcing others, who what a good keyword domain, from regging them and using them! Because if only .com is good, they are the main fault for people and companies regging all these 'useless and worthless' extensions. (even though they all get bought and sold on the aftermarket be it a small fraction of what .com names bring!)

•••
Domain speculation is always a risk. I think we were all thinking that .mobi may turn into "something". However that was in 2006. In looking at 2008, the buzz word is "convergence". Where many devices will begin to work with each other. For instance I will be able to "send" to my TV set a popular song from my MP3 device (bluetooth).

My problem with .mobi is I just don't know how it fits into the grand scheme of where everything is headed. Could you see yourself, checking out a .mobi on your "Fixed" TV set?

Now, I wouldn't start jumping off any buildings quite yet. If anything, you need to have a "coming to jesus" look at your mobi portfolio. Anything less than generic, I would consider selling.

btw: I got an email from Wells Fargo Bank letting me know they "went mobile". Guess what their address will be: www.wf.com How short is that?

Short, short, short. This is another thing that befuddles the mind. A 4-charcter extension. Obviously "MOB" isn't a good alternative, but really... "4 Characters?"

Having doubts isn't a bad thing Binary. Listen to yourself, do some serious portfolio analysis, then make your determination on whether to keep your portfolio. I would keep a few though. Just to keep your portfolio diversified.

If these domain rollouts has taught me anything it would be that .Com will never be replaced. I am certain of this now. To continue to have some grandiose idea that an alternative would become as popular as .com is foolish thinking. I think JeremyP is right. I think .mobi is an equivalent to .org (and .biz for that matter).

I personally have converted a great deal of my portfolio back to .com with just one .mobi. I do not plan on participating in any more roll-outs.

Last edited:
•••
Fred,

I'm glad you realize that this is going to take time and patience. If you have good names, why not take the chance and see if it takes off? You're already in it, and you'll be a very happy man if it does, I presume. Nobody ever got anything substantial in this world without taking a risk.

•••
In my opinion, if they use wf.com as mobile site...it makes the users confuse..."how can a small portable device screen can fit .com site? - usually large"

•••
izo-pod said:
Domain speculation is always a risk. I think we were all thinking that .mobi may turn into "something". However that was in 2006. In looking at 2008, the buzz word is "convergence". Where many devices will begin to work with each other. For instance I will be able to "send" to my TV set a popular song on my MP3 device (bluetooth).

My problem with .mobi is I just don't know how it fits into the grand scheme of where everything is headed. Could you see yourself, checking out a .mobi on your "Fixed" TV set?

Now, I wouldn't start jumping off any buildings quite yet. If anything, you need to have a "coming to jesus" look at your mobi portfolio. Anything less than generic, I would consider selling.

btw: I got an email from Wells Fargo Bank letting me know they "went mobile". Guess what their address will be: www.wf.com How short is that?

Short, short, short. This is another thing that befuddles the mind. A 4-charcter extension. Obviously "MOB" isn't a good alternative, but really... "4 Characters?"

Having doubts isn't a bad thing Binary. Listen to yourself, due some serious portfolio assessments, then make your determination on whether to keep your portfolio. I would keep a few though. Just to keep your portfolio diversified.

These domain rollouts has taught me one thing: .Com will never be replaced. I am certain of this. I've converted a great deal of my portfolio back to .com with just one .mobi. I do not plan on participating in any more roll-outs.
Yeah I noticed the WF thing a few weeks ago. Funny how they use WellsFargo.com for pc, an WF.com for mobile. Now that's not too confusing is it? But they also regged their WellsFargo.mobi too. Yeah right - defensive reg crap! And I do believe .info is '4' letters too, but no one gripes about that!

•••
hawkeye said:
And I do believe .info is '4' letters too, but no one gripes about that!

Yeah, but .info is for the PC. For mobi it's a big difference if you didn't reg a short .mobi. I do think if you bought LLL.mobi's with at least 1 being first character, I think you'll be able to profit from .mobi. Also, any banking, gaming, news type .mobi name (short of course) will do ok too.

That's keeps thing limited. Not good IMHO, but when you are eating .com scraps having a good .mobi name isn't such a bad deal either.

•••
izo-pod said:
Yeah, but .info is for the PC. For mobi it's a big difference if you didn't reg a short .mobi. I do think if you bought LLL.mobi's with at least 1 being first character, I think you'll be able to profit from .mobi. Also, any banking, gaming, news type .mobi name (short of course) will do ok too.

That's keeps thing limited. Not good IMHO, but when you are eating .com scraps having a good .mobi name isn't such a bad deal either.
izo what does '.info is for the PC' have to do with things? The ones that will be 'really utilizing' the mobile internet, are the younger ones that will grow up with it, and be constantlyl playing with it. And they can text faster than most people can type, so I don't see how one letter is going to hinder anyone. That is like saying 'shoe' is easy to type, but 'shoes' is just too long.

•••
Remember the .MOBI "default button" days ... and discussions? :guilty: :talk:

That, like Google.mobi, is never going to happen! :yell: :imho:
google.com/mobile
Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Remember the .MOBI "default button" days ... and discussions? :guilty: :talk:

That, like Google.mobi, is never going to happen! :yell: :imho:
google.com/mobile
Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)
and you know this to be a true fact?!?!?! or are you just, as usual, spreading negative assumptions based on your lack of verifiable facts!!

And Jeff, I can see why you note 'Just my two sense' in your sig. One, you may not know english!, and two, you probably already lost the other three!!

•••
hawkeye said:
... and you know this to be a true fact?!?!?! or are you just, as usual, spreading negative assumptions based on your lack of verifiable facts!!

Relax and have a nice warmed piece of pumpkin pie friend ... I specifically, as always, posted the :imho: smilie after my opinion and post! :rolleyes:

And Jeff, I can see why you note 'Just my two sense' in your sig. One, you may not know english!, and two, you probably already lost the other three!!

Relax, deep breaths ... :blink: :hearts:

Thank you.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff, don't you think that it would be better for customers for google to use google.mobi? It just sounds SO GOOD.

Not because I'm biased or anything (because I am!), BUT I really honestly think it is easier for surfers to remember and type in, especially on a mobile device. I just wonder what their rationale is for using google.com/mobile. Such a pain in the butt to type that in on a mobile phone.

Last edited:
•••
The issue is far larger for Google, others!

garrett200 said:
Jeff, don't you think that it would be better for customers for google to use google.mobi? It just sounds SO GOOD.

If assuming for a quick second that .MOBI is not an awkward and cumbersome extension for those "on the go" ... yes, it would be good to use! :music: :imho:

I think the "type-in's" will be matched with advances in mobile technologies ... specifically with browsers and auto-detection / GPS, IMHO. Google.com (and others) is not using or promoting Google.mobi as it would actually take away and cause confusion for their main .COM brand ... given these up-and-coming advances and technologies (which they are heavily invested in) specific to the MOBILE WEB! :gl: :imho:
This is my personal take on things!
-Jeff B-)

•••
Ok, I understand that. But it seems to me that promoting google.mobi would set it apart from the .com and make people better understand what it is. After all, they are two completely different websites for two different purposes.

And the argument that ".mobi" is cumbersome to type in is not very valid considering you have to type a lot more with google.com/mobile, with a slash no less. But I guess with the autodetect it would only be google.com. oh well!

•••
I think you may have missed a point (advances in browsers and auto-detection) above, IMHO. :guilty:

No worries, we can expand on this tom'w! :gl: :talk:
Nightio for now.
-Jeff B-)

Added:
But I guess with the autodetect it would only be google.com. oh well!

^ Righto! :yell: :imho:

•••
Well Jeff my main point is that .mobi is the only tld that offers something completely different than the others, and google might want to distinguish that from their regular .com website by using .mobi. Obviously with .net/.info/biz, whatever, it wouldn't make a difference.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back