Dynadot

strategy Missed a great opportunity in LLL.com flip...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ramkumaritrvs

Happiest man in the worldTop Member
Impact
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While we reached out, told that This domain is available for sale @ XX,XXX price. Not claimed that owner or behalf of owner in sentences.

IMO that was too vague and they most likely assumed you were the owner as a result.

If you would have said I belive this domain may be for sale or this domain is listed for sale for xx,xxx and if you are interested i would like to offer my services to represent you in negotiating a sale with the owner on your behalf. Then its clear you aren't the owner that you are simply offering to act as a buyers broker for them. I would also tell the owner when you reach put that you represent a buyer (after you get the potential buyer to agree to let you represent them that is) so you are upfront about your role with both parties.

Last edited:
•••
So how did you approach the potential end users exactly?

Where you representing yourself as the domain owner, or acting on behalf of the owner as a broker?

Brad

We did Email. We had a plan to call once get any leads.

As a broker (not mentioned behalf of owner).

•••
As i said before, It was a strategy that my team tried and got failed. I am 100% agree that it's unethical but it's not harmed anyone (except us).

I might hide it but being honest to the community, i shared my success & failures here at namepros because i learned a lot from my fellow elder domainer's experience.

I haven't seen thread like this before but that's not mean no one tried it before. Atleast it will help who visit this thread with the same idea in future. They may change their mind after seeing critics that we received.

If mod wants to remove my PRO tag, i would like to accept their decision (y)

You opened up. there are many people who do this and done before. I know one :xf.smile:

No harm in doing this as far as you are going to buy a domain.

•••
Yes, May be. That's why god saved me from earning bad karma's by loosing sale.
You cannot expropriate karma for yourself. This is basically a Trumpian action! You must send the domain owner some flowers and an apology. Please, sir!

•••
Not here to defend, but....

Let me just briefly mention that most everyone in here condemning hes action, would at the very same time given the opportunity, purchase a 3L.com at $5k without thinking twice... (from anyone, end-users and domainers alike), full well knowing that you are taking an asset for far less then what he could get if he went to market, then, you call yourself smart. At the very same time you would also not blink to think, and accept $7k from a different domainer on one of (any) your domains, even thou you know full well you paid $500, and havnt had an inquiry in 3 years...and that chances are next to 0 he will make a profit and likely just be stuck with the name forever.

Other then the fact that front-running can legally backfire on the current owner, i would see no difference to the 2 examples above. The industry is clustered with somewhat edgy, somewhat ethical, ethical, and clearly unethical behaviour. Admitting to what likely falls into the later could also be seen as admitting a mistake.

And if you just so happen to be one of those few, (prob 10 at the most).. Domainers that have never made a lowball offer, never sold for what is clearly too much to a different domainer, never done any front-running (be it between 2 domainers)... or any other action that someone somewhere might condemn or see as unethical, then cheers, Hats off.
I am more worried about email tracking haha

•••
whatever you did is according to your understanding but thanks for writing this post to tell others to learn from it.

•••
Very interesting... how did you find out the broker has agreed on a higher price than the one he was offering you? Did the broker was capable of tell you the real fact about the deal?
Thanks for your comments. It's right, he told me when he transfered the domain to the enduser.

•••
Thanks for your sharing. IMO, I think that the broker he has a lot of experience to close a deal, he knows who buyer is and they can afford the price or not, that's why he directly wants to reduce the price in order to reach an agreement with the buyer. I have a good story with the Afternic's broker, I received an offer at $7,680 for one of my domains and I said my non-negotiable price was $15,800 but the broker told me that he could get a better one for me , finally he helped me to close the deal at $18,888. He could do this because he knew the buyer had enough money to ask for.
Oh I see. Yes it makes sense. Maybe that is what he was trying to do right away. I learned a big lesson from that experience. I think a veteran domainer wouldn't lost that sell.

•••
You opened up. there are many people who do this and done before. I know one :xf.smile:

No harm in doing this as far as you are going to buy a domain.
That’s why all my domains point to my landers, and if there is no price, I’m making sure I’m not dealing with a bad player like this by asking inconvenient questions.

•••
Front running is a common practice in this slimy industry.

I had it happen on deals multiple times with people in the industry that most of you look up too.

It only happens with higher end names so most wouldn't experience it.

I caught more then one red handed in the act. Just had it happen last month with a one word .com.

These industry idiots try to sell my names to my friends before closing the deal.

I get phone calls saying "blank is trying to sell me your name".

Stupid is as stupid does.

But Im sorry, if you think this is a limited practice of just a few....your wrong.

I could call out people that would blow your minds....

But....I wont.

Welcome to the domain world.

This is just like someone saying I sold a domain for $XXX,XXX but it's under NDA so I can't give any details!

You have to share now. You can't just come in here spouting BS and not backing it up. Some of us are going insane staying inside. We need some dirty laundry! Blow our minds.

•••
So accidently your team did outbound without owning an asset??

Not accidently, we did it on purpose. It was a new strategy that my team tried and failed.

Without owning the domain we did outbound (to save acquisition cost & less risk on hold). If we didn't get any leads then we might move to next domain. that's our plan but we got kicked this time (n)

Last edited:
•••
You must send the owner some flowers and an apology right away!

Already sent enduser to his domain and he got more $$$$$, so no flowers needed. Btw, i didn't knew seller's email because whois got updated.

•••
All our emails are traceable. We using hubspot, snov and few others. with / without consent is depends upon the tracking companies policy.

And when the shit will hit the fan Hubspot with his lawyers will wash his hands: "The user can can toggle on and off the tracking feature"/"Do you want us to write their emails so they don't break the law"

•••
you wouldn't be thinking of doing anything wrong and called it a successful strategy?

Yes, May be. That's why god saved me from earning bad karma's by loosing sale.

I was surprised to see this coming from a very experienced domain investor like you.

Everyone do mistake. I accept and learnt a lesson lately:xf.sick:

•••
All our emails are traceable. We using hubspot, snov and few others. with / without consent is depends upon the tracking companies policy.

So a general question to ask here, how are emails are traced (or tracked?). Is it done via a script embedded in the email, or a tiny hotlinked image,..?

•••
No harm in doing this? Are you kidding me? Come on man,
He is buying the domain name not going to steal from the owner.

It could be just me that think it OK no one need to agree with me.

•••
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.
How do you know they opened the mail more than 10+ times?

•••

Can you please explain in detail how you use these apps? Which one is the best, accurate one?

•••
good point - only the first time he lost out by the sound of it......
Wrong again. The person harmed here was the owner of the domain. The OP was the perp.

•••
It is the same story here, a broker contacted me to buy one domain from me at $3k7 while he had done the agreement with the enduser at $14k, this happened in Jan., 2020
Very interesting... how did you find out the broker has agreed on a higher price than the one he was offering you? Did the broker was capable of tell you the real fact about the deal?

•••
•••
These guys been front running namejet, and godaddy auctions for sometime. This is their business model, all the bang, without any investment.

This is the first time we tried as my team head shared his idea. I never involved as you accused, in any other platform.

It is very surprise for me that many people involving in this model by hidden.

Do not accuse anyone without having the proof :facepalm:

•••
Tracking email isn't unethical. The only consent required is the receiver opening the email.

No different than using caller ID.

Thanks for the heads-up! I will start inserting pixels in comments and PM's.
You did give me consent when you opened the thread, right?

•••
Already sent enduser to his domain and he got more $$$$$, so no flowers needed. Btw, i didn't knew seller's email because whois got updated.
Send an email to the owner's whois private email address. Ask him to send you his phone number or his physical address. Call him and tell him the situation and then get his address and send him some flowers and a small note letting him know how sorry you are, if he sends his phone number. If he sends you his address, then don't worry about calling him, just go ahead and send the flowers with the apology. Get back to me if he doesn't respond to you in a week or so.

•••
95 percent of offers at Sedo are like this, someone trying to buy and sell a domain which they don't own. Maybe also true for other marketplaces. Solution: require a small refundable (except in case of cheating) payment for bids. They rarely buy and when they buy they rarely pay. Honest domainers are victims. And marketplaces and brokers can play any dirty game because only sellers' info is public, buyers are protected ! I suspect GD does it all the time, and Sedo allows it to happen, and Sedo itself also does it sometimes.I receive a price request , I make a reasonable response, and there is no more reaction, and it gets dropcaught after 6 months andsold for a higher price than my asking price. Someone not happy with commission alone, and want to get the whole amount , minus dropactching cost, and can wait for 6 months to make this happen; because endusers are idiots and only trust GD, or their corrupt registrar.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back