Dynadot

strategy Missed a great opportunity in LLL.com flip...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ramkumaritrvs

Happiest man in the worldTop Member
Impact
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not defending anyone or anything, Just mentioning the fact that everyone in the thread condemning a "admitted", bad action, quite harshly... would at the same time, do the same, worse, or maybe a little better, yet nontheless, an unethical action, to earn money... while all thats needed is a Not cool, please dont repeat.

A generalization like this is wrong. TBH, it only implies that you'd do this if you had the opportunity. But saying all other domainers would if they had the opportunity to do something unethical is blatantly wrong. (I definitely would not front-run even if I had the opportunity)

•••
Finding a buyer before you purchase a domain is a sensible business decision.
Yes and no. On the face it would seem smart. But it depends on how it is done.

Telling a potential buyer that you have the domain to sell them or otherwise making a claim that you are or represent the owner is 100% wrong!

Telling a potential buyer that the domain name is or may be for sale and offering your services to represent them and negotiate with the seller on their behalf, where it is explicitly clear you are not the seller nor representing the seller is completely acceptable in my book.

I have no idea how the OP was doing it but many times those who do this take the dishonest route of acting as if they are the owner or they represent the owner and when they do it can cause problems for the real owner.

As far as I'm concerned domaining is 'grey-hat' so calling out others for being unethical is pretty rich.
There is NOTHING inherently Greyhat about domaining. Like selling anything else there's the right way (whitehat) of doing so and the wrong way (blackhat) of doing so.

Last edited:
•••
You deserved it, but thanks for being honest. Maybe people who you were outbounding to bought it directly.

Question is: if it was not a liquid domain, and if you found an enduser, and the enduser agreed to buy, and you made a deal with the actual seller, and the actual buyer changed his mind, would you keep your promise and buy it from the seller (in this case, for 21 K)? If not , then this would be the real unethical part.

Last edited:
•••
He wants to sell something that he doesn't owns, everybody goes against him.
He tracks emails without consent, nobody bats an eye.

The double standards of namePros!

Even in Murica is unethical from a legal point of view

•••
That's the worst analogy I've ever seen. And, yes you're defending front running domains, too.
Not defending anyone or anything, Just mentioning the fact that everyone in the thread condemning a "admitted", bad action, quite harshly... would at the same time, do the same, worse, or maybe a little better, yet nontheless, an unethical action, to earn money... while all thats needed is a Not cool, please dont repeat.

•••
So everyone is guilty here? That's what you're saying?

•••
Your "other than the fact" is actually ALL the difference in the world.

What would have been more acceptable in my books is if he had made the outbound pitch with a very clear indication that he is not the owner.
(Although in this case it wouldn't have made sense if there was a public BIN on the domain.)

Unethical I agree totally. But just wondering what the specific law(s) you're referring to? I'm not at all saying there is or isn't any .. just curious, as it's one aspect of domain/transactional law I'm less familiar with.
Yes, it is an act of impersonation; implicitly/explicitly claiming to be the owner or broker for a merchandise when you are not. That's fraud, at least here in Nigeria.

Now, I can't speak for other places.

•••
My first post in this thread, so not wrong again

Take my post in context - I replied to a post that said "Probably not first time you did it. Hopefully the last."

I agreed that this this is probably not the first time the OP has done this, most likely not only the first time he has failed with "front running" tactics

So my post implied that I do not agree with it and the only reason the OP is showing remorse is that they failed with their (questionable) objectives........the value of the domain probably has a lot to do with his thread....

Hopefully the above clarifies my position.......

Sales (or lack thereof) a tale of the one that that got away, remorse, if only, what could of been, blah blah blah heard and seen it all before.......
Thanks for clarifying. I read your post as it was the first time the OP did this and the OP lost out.

•••
mb050118-1.jpg

:vulcan::mask::spiderman: Your shenanigans surely boomeranged you into a mental see saw! :android::blackalien::greyalien:

Shenanigator
ex: @ramkumaritrvs
:xf.eek:

ex:

Ram proved to win the Shenanigator Of The Year award at NamePros for outing himself and the shenanigans he nearly successfully pulled to make several thousand on an LLL.com deal.

:ROFL:

:sneaky:

•••
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.
Ridculous, greedy, stupid and unprofessional, total fraud.

Last edited:
•••
It’s a wake up call, reality check, he only came here to talk about it because he thought he was a Slick Rick in almost pulling it off, and had he, he would have done it again. Maybe next time with a name you possibly own, and then he would tell all his team
Lead dick head friends, and they would all be doing it.

Last edited:
•••

Tracking email isn't unethical. The only consent required is the receiver opening the email.

No different than using caller ID.

•••
He is buying the domain name not going to steal from the owner.

It could be just me that think it OK no one need to agree with me.

I don't think that's an ethical position. Especially if you're representing a registrar. Does your employer condone this behavior?

•••
•••
Question is: if it was not a liquid domain, and if you found an enduser, and the enduser agreed to buy, and you made a deal with the actual seller, and the actual buyer changed his mind, would you keep your promise and buy it from the seller (in this case, for 21 K)? If not , then this would be the real unethical part.

Yes, once i agreed to buy / sell, i never looked at price (even if my buyer is backed out), just proceed what i agreed.

This is our first & last with this strategy. I just proceeded because it was a new idea / strategy from my team.

Not all the idea leads to success :facepalm:

Last edited:
•••

The hypocrisy!!! Yes, yes!!!!

•••
Already sent enduser to his domain and he got more $$$$$, so no flowers needed. Btw, i didn't knew seller's email because whois got updated.
You will find him. And yes, you must send flowers and apology right away! This is very freaky juju.

•••
We all make mistakes .....but look on the bright side , you still won regardless of the outcome because it gave you the opportunity to learn

•••
So everyone is guilty here? That's what you're saying?
Nope, im saying, if they already admit it, tell them its wrong and give em a break. Especially if the ones ranting against it, (90%+) of them, turn around and do no better, just cause it aligns with their own view of morality.

Lets get back on topic. Imo,
Please dont do this, it can be harmful to the current domain owners, and if you dont own the domain its not yours to sell unless you have permission to do so.

•••
Especially if the ones ranting against it, (90%+) of them, turn around and do no better, just cause it aligns with their own view of morality.

Ummm .. there is nothing wrong with buying something undervalue and then reselling it for a huge profit. That's called capitalism. Buy low .. sell high .. it's what I do with all my domains! ;)

That isn't at all what's in question here. The only issue I think anyone ever had an issue with is that he didn't go through the crucial step of "buying low" .. lol. It wasn't his domain to sell.

It really depends how the domain was represented. I have seen this in the past were a party says they are the owners or make other misleading or false claims. Depending how the domain was represented you could have legal issues.
Yeah .. most of what you covered is pretty obvious. But I was asking specifically in terms of just the actual act of what we call front-running. Given the absence of tangible or monetary damages, and presuming the front-runner never explicitly said he's the owner (but simply did not mention that he wasn't, which to me is the unethical part), are there actual laws prohibiting attempting to sell something you don't own?

In some circumstances it is legal (short selling on the stock market), but there's likely more specific laws covering stocks given their relative liquid nature. That said .. short selling stocks isn't exactly the same thing .. but not dissimilar .. which is why I was curious. Because while I'm definitely against unidentified reselling by a non-owner, I was just curious if there were any specific laws that applied to such things?

•••
Thank you for sharing your story and for answering my question! Wow I see... at least he was honest as to tell you his earnings as a middle man.

I once got a little upset with a Godaddy's employee ( broker) who called me about an inquiry he has from a customer that was interested on one of my domain. I was asking 6 figures(100,000) for the domain and the broker asked me that the client wanted to know if the price was negotiable. I said, yes it's negotiable. The broker said how much would you sell it for? I said, since it already has a price tag on it,I would like to hear how much your client offer is? The Godaddy's representant told me right away: " We should sell him your domain based on the price of similar domains sold before." I was like: "well it makes sense but dont you think If the potential buyer saw the tag price of 100,000 for the domain and he or she was capable of contacting Godaddy regarding my domain, doesn't it mean we should use the tag price as a starting point.? I basically feel that the Godaddy's broker was trying to down grade my price right over the phone without even giving the customer the chance to come up with an offer. I was wondering how much then I should ask: 80, 70 50 40, 30 or 15 thousand? I would prefer to hear the customer offer first before I cut my price off and leave money on the table. Who knows what the broker intention was! Or maybe I should have asked the broker " Then you tell me how much do you think I should sale it for? and if I was comfortable with his numbers ,then I would sell it but I feel that it is not the right way of doing business to let a broker to chose how much you should sale a domain for.

The point of the matter is that the sell didn't go through. The broker told me he went and told them my answer and they said were going to have a meeting with his business partners to come up with an offer( this make me feel they probably were a big fish)

...3 days later the broker contacted me again and said " They decided to buy a different domain."
I said: No problem, have a nice day." End of the story. Maybe I didn't manage the offer properly:xf.frown:
The question is "How much were you going to get and how much was GoDaddy going to secure for themselves?".
I suppose they steer they buyer to another domain name they control if you aren't working out.

•••
The question is "How much were you going to get and how much was GoDaddy going to secure for themselves?".
I suppose they steer they buyer to another domain name they control if you aren't working out.
Yes, I thought right away that's what probably happened. I had so many thoughts going through my head and one of them was that maybe they just showed the buyer other options 😰

•••
•••
Here after a while,
and now I see those so called PRO members starting threads to whine about missed opportunities when their unethical operations to profit from stuff they don't own don't end up successful.
Namepros never ceases to amaze me.

•••
I didn't get why your sharing it...

And you are regretting of missing a sale... where as you are doing some shady practices... unethical and totally unacceptable to anyone.

Sharing is very funny...it just shows your bad business practices.

Sorry to say but it is truth.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back