IT.COM

news Mike Mann drops 50,000 domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Mike is NOT reporting most of his sales.
Read my latest sales report to understand this.
I understand without your help.
Even with x3 multiplier of his public results - no any sense to hold 3XX,XXX domains.

Last edited:
•••
I wrote about this long ago that there’s no way Mike Mann could be making money holding 300K domains.
I was thinking about this last night. There’s just no way this guy is making money with all those names. Obviously most are not selling

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...en-a-good-domain-name-and-a-bad-name.1057047/

and with an annual nut of about $2.4M just to break even - I don’t notice his reporting sales in excess of that each year.

For example, there are inventors who hold dozens of unlicensed patents. They might value these patents in the millions but without revenue all they’re doing is losing money on patent maintenance fees, not to mention cost of development or acquisition.

Funny how at that time NamePros members were jumping in to opine that he must be doing okay but now that Mike Mann is dropping domains NP members are quick to post about how Mann had to do it.

Just because something is currently being done or in fashion doesn’t mean it looks good. When bell bottoms were ubiquitous in the ‘70s I’m sure most everyone but a few who had more timeless sense thought they were the thing to wear.

Last edited:
•••
I wrote about this long ago that there’s no way Mike Mann could be making money holding 300K domains.

Funny how at that time NamePros members were jumping in to opine that he must be doing okay but now that Mike Mann is dropping domains NP members are quick to post about how Mann had to do it.

Just because something is currently being done or in fashion doesn’t mean it looks good. When bell bottoms were ubiquitous in the ‘70s I’m sure most everyone but a few who had more timeless sense thought they were the thing to wear.
I wear bell bottoms and I'm in my (late) 30s......

•••
I don't understand how holding 300 000 names is different from holding 3 000 names, given the same quality and pricing.

Quality at certain pricing translates into 1% typical sell through. At $2000 net per name the math would work this way:

3 000 x 1% x 2000 = $60K - 3000 x 8.5$ renewals = $34.5K net.

300 000 x 1% x 2000 = $6000K - 300 000 x 8.5$ renewals = $3450K

The problem of Mike Mann's portfolio is not its size. It is that about 50% or maybe more of it is filled with non-investment grade names. Plus his pricing strategy that leads him to lose more in overall sales chasing few large and impressive sales for the gloating and PR.

•••
•••
I don't understand how holding 300 000 names is different from holding 3 000 names, given the same quality and pricing.

Quality at certain pricing translates into 1% typical sell through. At $2000 net per name the math would work this way:

3 000 x 1% x 2000 = $60K - 3000 x 8.5$ renewals = $34.5K net.

300 000 x 1% x 2000 = $6000K - 300 000 x 8.5$ renewals = $3450K

The problem of Mike Mann's portfolio is not its size. It is that about 50% or maybe more of it is filled with non-investment grade names. Plus his pricing strategy that leads him to lose more in overall sales chasing few large and impressive sales for the gloating and PR.

Very well said! (y)

•••
Some people believe what they want to believe to make themselves feel good. That while disregarding facts and numbers.

I find it fascinating that virtually blog post of yours on the subject you have a line clearly stating that the reported sales are not all, refer to averages to prove the point, mention that all of us do similar and withhold some/all sales data, yet right there in the comments or here, people start using the reported sale info to project and make conclusions on the profitability and the business model of domainmarket...

•••
Do you understand that he is selling 60 to 100+ domains per month and reports 4 to 8?

What is "sense"? Sense is not a business term. Either you are profitable or not. He was and he will be more profitable after he gets rid of lower quality domains.

I understand without your help.
Even with x3 multiplier of his public results - no any sense to hold 3XX,XXX domains.

•••
•••
I'm talking about his monthly sales volume in USD in 2020.
Number of sold domains doesn't matter.
Multiply it even 3 times to include all other/low sales = and that's why no sense in 300-350K domains during pandemic times.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think that he manages alone that portfolio. Obviously he predicted that pandemic will drop his ROI and wisely decided to drop a lot names.
The bigger a folio is, the harder management it has.

•••
Domains are bought for various reasons eg: over 10k backlinks just to park it till wear off.

Last edited:
•••
GUYS WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD THE LIST?
THANK YOU :)

•••
Yes, he does manage the portfolio alone.

I don't think that he manages alone that portfolio. Obviously he predicted that pandemic will drop his ROI and wisely decided to drop a lot names.
The bigger a folio is, the harder management it has.

•••
Wow, that must of been hard decision, but huge saving on the other hand.
I dropped few last year as well and it still hurts. Especially when I found out, that china bought most of them.
Oh well, keep going forward.
I agree. It's either China or HD buying up my dropped domains. Good riddance IMO

•••
•••
The more I consider this then to me this smells like a possible acquisition might be upcoming - by Mike Mann. If it is in the pipeline then hopefully we will hear about it when it happens, though it is in no way a certainty we will.

•••
The list is coming later today.
That will be really interesting! Can’t wait to see it!

This is one of the more interesting developments of late, and thanks for sleuthing it out and telling us about it @OnlineDomainCom and also for joining this discussion to clarify various things.

Bob

•••
Looks like he still has some great gems such as GoogleMicrosoft dot com for sale.

•••
@Mike Mann should develop his own domain liquidation platform. :)

At $1 each, that's 50k.
or partner with Epik NameLiquidate in the interim? Those domains will still have germs in there

•••
Is there a place where I can view these 50,000 dropped domains to search through it for hidden gems?

•••
I read first time The Mann's name list a few years ago. Most are low-quality names with 3,4 words.
Then last year, the names in that list, that previously price at $1m - $3m drop to $500,000 - $245,000.
Now, I also want to update The Mann names list. Thanks. ;)B-)

•••
Is there a place where I can view these 50,000 dropped domains to search through it for hidden gems?
List will be out later today. :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back