Dynadot

news Mike Mann drops 50,000 domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does anyone know if the other big holing companies and individuals are staying pat, growing the portfolio, or trimming back in times since COVID?
Bob

•••
When bell bottoms were ubiquitous in the ‘70s I’m sure most everyone but a few who had more timeless sense thought they were the thing to wear.
Wait, bell bottoms went out of style?! :xf.eek: Why doesn't someone tell me about these things!

The inherent point that some domain names are more timeless than others is a good one, and all of us should regularly re-evaluate our portfolio.

Here the rate of drop seems surprising, however.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Wow....I'm seeing names that look decent.

Sports..! Worth a checkout, lol Nice list, Mann.

If anything, shows Mann’s niches. See the list

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I see many of those names have merely changed owners. So they're not dropped - at least not in the sense that we usually use the term.

It kinda looks like these domains have been sold at wholesale prices, not dropped.

Last edited:
•••
A few could have been auctioned at Namejet. And a few on the list (maybe 400) were sold by Mike. But most have dropped or are dropping in a few days.

I see many of those names have merely changed owners. So they're not dropped - at least not in the sense that we usually use the term.

It kinda looks like these domains have been sold at wholesale prices, not dropped.

•••
There are better tax incentives if you can show dropping 50000 names as a loss as opposed to liquidating them.

•••
Yep, at a quick scan I spotted a couple hundred I would have paid $10 per in bulk...wish I had time to work the drop over the next few days...it would be like old times! Thanks for posting the list @OnlineDomainCom

Last edited:
•••
•••
You are allowed to edit to “.” in limited time,
if you want delete. before it’s stuck forever.
You have not replied to any my,why do u care?

Love you’re disliking each one of my “.” posts.
@Mod Team Bravo am i breaking any rules?
Focus on the thread topic, at hand, not me.

You don’t have to bite my head off Samer. The habit of posting and removing that you have maybe be sure you want to say something before you post it. If you are removing things to spare yourself being reported for something you wrote that’s breaking rules.

•••
You don’t have to bite my head off Samer. The habit of posting and removing that you have maybe be sure you want to say something before you post it. If you are removing things to spare yourself being reported for something you wrote that’s breaking rules.

Lol nothing was reportable, trust me.

i'll keep that in mind, thanks, sorry @karmaco

I felt called out, since you didnt even reply any
the icing on the cake "disliked all ".", after.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
@OnlineDomainCom - Thank you for the list, I earlier picked up 'CaliforniaDems' from the list. (y)

•••
Mike Mann and his company DomainMarket.com has dropped almost 50,000 domains in the past few months.

That is equivalent to throwing $1,000,000 in the trash :xf.eek:

money-60325-wo.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
50,000 domains dropped? That is quite a lot of money wasted. A peek at the other side of a domain name expert, a domain legend.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I am not sure what was the process here with the selecting which 14% of the portfolio to drop.

Some of the drops are obviously better than some he is keeping. Lots of drops are quite aged purchased around 2012. So for 8 years or so he thought they were keepers and then what?

There seems to be no system here, besides something superficial like whois searches, traffic and quick eye test of the results.

•••
With Google, Twitter and Microsoft keyword alone, there are 47+37+11 = 95 domains as per DomainMarket.

A big time cybersquatter.
Nice find, thanks for sharing.

•••
It's the yearly, Mike Mann can't be making money, people trying to do the math. This time I bookmarked it since it always comes up. Very easy to make money with that model, all in this one post - https://www.namepros.com/threads/yall-wanna-shoot-the-moon.1162085/page-2#post-7477285

I am there with you that the model is working, as proven by MM, BD, HD.

What is baffling is the drop of 14% of the portfolio pretty much in one go. And not dropping a 1-2 year experiment with a niche that did not work out, but names held for long and mix of pigeon stuff with good/ok stuff.

•••
I am there with you that the model is working, as proven by MM, BD, HD.

What is baffling is the drop of 14% of the portfolio pretty much in one go. And not dropping a 1-2 year experiment with a niche that did not work out, but names held for long and mix of pigeon stuff with good/ok stuff.

No idea but it seems it was over 3 and a half months, early March to mid June, getting back to Feb 2018 numbers. But haven't been paying too much attention to it. Big culling. Remember some past threads on some big hand regs days that even made the news.

Ea4ICvyWkAMJ0we

Last edited:
•••
No idea but it seems it was over 3 and a half months, early March to mid June, getting back to Feb 2018 numbers. But haven't been paying too much attention to it. Big culling. Remember some past threads on some big hand regs days that even made the news.

Ea4ICvyWkAMJ0we

If the model works, he should be just growing like HD, hire staff, if he doesn't have time...

And 50000 off the peak might mean deleting more than 50000, if he added other names in the meanwhile.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back