Dynadot

news Mike Mann drops 50,000 domains

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Nice, focus quality, not quantity. Agree here.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
In the domaining business you have to always be prepared to re-evaluate what to keep and what to let go. Especially when you receive email notifications about upcoming domain name renewal fees. :xf.wink:

•••
•••
Hell's Bells, imagine the chance to go through the remainder of Mike Mann's portfolio, even without buying any just for the sheer interest it would be amazing.

Question now is will Mike Mann continue the process of dropping at the same rate over the next 7 or so months. I see in the comments on the OnlineDomain.com thread that David Castello says he and his brother Michael did similar earlier this year though not to the same extent. Seems pruning inventories happens even with the big guys in the industry.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Imagine having 1000 domains expiring every day and deciding which ones to renew, which ones to let go. I sometimes have trouble with 10... I've always thought the "volume" guys just renew everything as long as the income is above the cost. But obviously it's healthy to trim some fat now and then.

•••
"renewal costs."

-have a special day

•••
As @sharfab mentioned, we need to continually reevaluate our portfolios based on financial situation and quality of domains. It's impressive that Mr. Mann can manage so many domains. My recommendation for most domainers is to take the strategic approach, rather than register every domain they find, develop your best domains to create revenue that will at least cover your renewal costs and hopefully finance future acquisitions. I know that Mike has a number of businesses that likely cover at least some of his renewals. Acquire the best domains you can afford and drop domains that have never received an offer for and/or you don't see development potential. Consider the cost of spending time in forum auctions that will garner maybe a few bucks versus time spent on development of your best domains. Also, if you receive offers that did not end up in a sale, this might indicate that a domain is a development candidate.

Last edited:
•••
Good move. I guess he doesn’t want to own the internet anymore 😂 Everyone should be reassessing their names, goals and costs versus profit frequently.

•••
so is he doing it cause he has to or wants to

•••
@Mike Mann should develop his own domain liquidation platform. :)

At $1 each, that's 50k.

•••
Or he could have flooded NameLiquidate.com, which would help take care of the legwork with payment and transfers.

•••
Last edited:
•••
would anyone care to guesstimate how much total $$$ invested in this loss? 1 Mil? 2?? More?

I realize we all let names drop.. But do I sense a shift in thinking here? Dropping of a magnitude such as this was definitely never his style before..

is this another subtle indication that .com is starting to wane in light of new alternative options in the domain market?

Last edited:
•••
is this another subtle indication that .com is starting to wane in light of new alternative options in the domain market?

Wishful thinking.

•••
I don’t really care what he does... what he does on his time does not affect the domain industry or me... what you should provide is his list of his drops that would be worth it my read.

•••
Read this article to the bottom...
And check related links to his sales during previous pandemic months...
Such monthly income is definitely not enough to keep 3XX,XXX domains...

•••
From the article:

"The truth is that he had a lot of low quality domains that had a small chance of selling."

I'm also thinking that many of the dropped names may have been related to technologies or concepts that are (or are becoming) outdated. Makes sense to get rid of those.

•••
Or he could have flooded NameLiquidate.com, which would help take care of the legwork with payment and transfers.
His branding will be affected if he do this.

•••
It may be possible that he offloaded the names to another name server or to other holding account(s)

•••
With Google, Twitter and Microsoft keyword alone, there are 47+37+11 = 95 domains as per DomainMarket.

A big time cybersquatter.

•••
Money not spent renewing low-quality domains can be used to acquire bitcoin, ethereum, ...

Crypto prices are volatile but cryptocurrencies unlike most domains are liquid....

•••
•••
Back