IT.COM

news Mike Mann drops 50,000 domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only Mike would know but it would free up about $450,000 in renewals. You could have a field day with that at Namejet and other places. Up the overall quality while reducing overall renewals. We'll see if it continues to go down or it may slowly go up. Could be taking a little hit with this virus stuff, could be who knows what. But the numbers are now back to where they were a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
•••
Only Mike would know but it would free up about $450,000 in renewals. You could have a field day with that at Namejet and other places. Up the overall quality while reducing overall renewals. We'll see if it continues to go down or it may slowly go up. Could be taking a little hit with this virus stuff, could be who knows what. But the numbers are now back to where they were a couple of years ago.

That contradicts your own math. Why do you need 450k from savings from renewals for the field day instead of using $1MM+ in sales from those? If 350K names can generate 20k a day, 7.3MM$ a year, then 50k can do $1MM? If it the lower end of the names, then they should still be able to generate in 450K to 1MM range, plus 1 million to 2 million people visiting your site for free.

•••
That contradicts your own math. Why do you need 450k from savings from renewals for the field day instead of using $1MM+ in sales from those? If 350K names can generate 20k a day, 7.3MM$ a year, then 50k can do $1MM? If it the lower end of the names, then they should still be able to generate in 450K to 1MM range, plus 1 million to 2 million people visiting your site for free.

Doesn't contradict the math at all, math still works. Most domainers cull from time to time, normal stuff. Even Huge Domains drops names sometimes, remember somebody posting about that.

Last edited:
•••
No one culls names held for many years at that scale. While also keeping some names that are clearly worse than some of the drops...

•••
No one culls names held for many years at that scale. While also keeping some names that are clearly worse than some of the drops...

He just did.

•••
I wear bell bottoms and I'm in my (late) 30s......
Seriously? My reply to NB's post was flagged as profanity/ antogonistic?
Does mod realise that 'juicy' was the brand name plastered across many bellbottom backsides over a decade ago??
Grow up!

Edit: So i just did some quick research and apparently 'ar@e' is now considered vulgar in the USA. I really wish you Americans would stop changing the spelling and meaning of everyday ENGLISH words because the rest of the world has no idea what you guys are going to take offence to next.

Last edited:
•••
Seriously? My reply to NB's post was flagged as profanity/ antogonistic?
Does mod realise that 'juicy' was the brand name plastered across many bellbottom backsides over a decade ago??
Grow up!
Some people need to get a sense of humour......

•••
Some people need to get a sense of humour......
I don't think they understand the word 'humour' as they changed the spelling of that too.

•••
I don't think they understand the word 'humour' as they changed the spelling of that too.
...or 'offence' for that matter. I could go on.
NP, If you want international comments, you really need to allow for Queen's English and some Commonwealth slang.

Last edited:
•••
I really wish you Americans would stop changing the spelling and meaning of everyday ENGLISH words because the rest of the world has no idea what you guys are going to take offence to next.

It seems to be a delayed growing up stage! Unfortunately it is infecting the rest of the world with an 'R number' of greater than 1 at the moment. :xf.laugh::ROFL:

•••

I assume that he did his math and figured out that these 50k domains will not generate enough sales to cover their renewals. With such large portfolio he must have abundant data to analyze and decide what to drop and what to keep.

•••
I went through the whole list and managed to snag:

WonTwoThree.com

SolarRestorations.com

There were many good names already taken and I have seen a couple already for re-sale.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
I assume that he did his math and figured out that these 50k domains will not generate enough sales to cover their renewals. With such large portfolio he must have abundant data to analyze and decide what to drop and what to keep.

That was my assumption too initially. But quick glance at what he let go and what he kept doesn't support that.

I don't believe he knows how to collect and or analyze advanced data beyond looking at number of visits, inquires and whois searches.

•••
If you took 10 seconds per domain to consider keep/sell each name, and only consider 50,000 (not the larger number these came from), and if you effectively worked 6 hr per day on this, would take 23 days of work to make decisions, if it was done by hand.

An automated system could be done in various ways, looking perhaps at measures like visits, offers/inquiries, Google related results, automated appraisals, NameBio / GoDaddy appraisal related prior sales on one or other word (most are two word).

I see many NPs members already going through list. I am considering some more, but I did take one, so I can say I have a name Mike Mann dropped :xf.grin:. And it fits my writing style so well :-P ShortBlurb.com! Surprised you did not snag it @Ategy, I think it fits both of our writing styles! I hope some communications/PR company find it cute too.

Bob

•••
Hopefully drops the ones I want lol

•••
More money to buy more cigarettes.

•••
I see many NPs members already going through list. I am considering some more, but I did take one, so I can say I have a name Mike Mann dropped :xf.grin:. And it fits my writing style so well :-P ShortBlurb.com! Surprised you did not snag it @Ategy, I think it fits both of our writing styles! I hope some communications/PR company find it cute too.

Sorry @Bob Hawkes .. I'm afraid to say I'm really not familiar with the word "Short"! lol

Also .. when doing the lists I probably go through about 3000 names an hour when I'm "in the zone" .. not sure if I'd invest the time to go digging through his garbage though. I'll try to take a quick peak at some point. Could probably go through his raw feed even faster than I go through the regular expired list for NameCult because for the expiring names I also look at stats and data.

Last edited:
•••

You drop a name when it expires, if a domain has an expiry of August then it wouldn't have been dropped would it?

I have no idea whether Mike Mann needs to do this or is choosing to, but culling a portfolio is not unusual.

Some terrible domains in that list but no doubt he does own good domains too.

Perhaps just fed up with managing such a large port and downsizing?

•••
If you took 10 seconds per domain to consider keep/sell each name, and only consider 50,000 (not the larger number these came from), and if you effectively worked 6 hr per day on this, would take 23 days of work to make decisions, if it was done by hand.

The decision to drop or keep could have been made up to a year ago, or that 23 days could have been spread over a year.

He could have turned auto-renew off a year ago and said "right, this is your last year, sell or drop", anything dropped because it didn't sell in its last year.

Nothing unusual about portfolio culling, and quality over quantity is the strategy which makes sense to me. Perhaps that's his thinking.

•••
such a long list of stupid names

the ones I like
still resolve at domain market

•••

Having a portfolio this big doesnt just automatically mean u make x amount of profit. They are good because / you have reach into multiple searches over just one. but with each new domain comes with it / more effort / more time / renewals / etc /

He is prob. gave these names the ole' college try but sometimes you have to cut the cord and move on who knows. Could also be some type of tax write off? Publicity stunt,

Long story short He probably didnt do it by mistake.

•••
I guess the economy with the corona is even affecting the most profitable domainers like Mike Mann...

I'm guessing he didn't liquidate them because he's planning on catching them later. Or at least some of them.

•••
Money not spent renewing low-quality domains can be used to acquire bitcoin, ethereum, ...

Crypto prices are volatile but cryptocurrencies unlike most domains are liquid....

Mann had stated in another thread that he's not into crypto yet.. just crypto names. But he said, I think I remember, that it was foolish. DON'T QUOTE ME. I'm going legit from memory, but it was that one time xynames invited him into a thread and he actually logged into NP and posted. HE EVEN REPLIED TO MY REPLY LOL.

•••
I guess the economy with the corona is even affecting the most profitable domainers like Mike Mann...

I'm guessing he didn't liquidate them because he's planning on catching them later. Or at least some of them.

i think bottom line conclusion of this thread may well be that we only assume not know about his profitability or lack thereof. in same way that we only assume why he is dropping half mil of domain renewals.

so perhaps, about him or other so called top domainers, we should just stop assuming things.

i dont mean u. i mena all of us, in general. there were tons of posts about tons of so called top domainers. and probably most of them were closer to fiction thna reality. when comes to their profits, loses etc.

Last edited:
•••
let's do a little quiz:
who am I?

I'm the greatest domainer on earth
nobody can do what I can do

nobody is able to prize domains correctly
nobody comes even close to me..

I just dropped 12% of my domains
as they were so extreme rubbish
that even the greatest domainer on earth
has lost confidence
that somebody will pay $19.888 USD for nothing

so I'm left with the best possible portfolio on earth

that makes me even more unique

I start crying as I had to drop those gems:

NamenDomain.com
and
oabma.com

oh no
pooh
luckily I didn't drop that last one

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back