NameSilo

discuss Logical Outbound Discussion

SpaceshipSpaceship
NamecheapNamecheap
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

BoGoKing

Restricted (15-30%)
Impact
3,361
There seems to be a lot of conversation and consternation around inbound marketing of domains vs. outbound. Domains sold strictly via inbound might be considered, "Buy and Hold" or "Buy and Hoard", while outbound marketing is more of a progressive/aggressive approach.

As a business guy with almost 50 years of marketing/selling experience (see my Linkedin bio here on NP via information page). In my prior business life, 80% of my sales have been a result of outbound efforts. Much of it has been a result of what has been traditionally referred to as "cold calling" which seems to be a lost art with the advent of the internet.

Domain professionals here on NP and elsewhere seem to think outbound marketing won't work, although they claim to have tried it, and FAILED miserably:xf.frown: Personally I believe it will work, "if" done right. In my case, the first thing I need to do is attract a savvy technical individual who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. By that I mean they are either unemployed, are a visionary or are an entrepreneur like me.

btw, there isn't just one way to succeed at outbound marketing. Targeted email marketing is one way, direct mail marketing is another and phone sales and follow up is another way. All three of these techniques still work today in other industries, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to work in the domain industry imo.

I'm not asking NP members why outbound won't work, but rather why outbound will work. If some of you think it can work, I would like to hear from you. I'll start with "targeted" outbound marketing, for if you don't know your target, you're sure to fail.

Let's revolutionize domaining like the Wright Brothers revolutionized travel. What do you say:xf.grin: This can't be that hard...or can it?
 
5
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
More thoughts on "outbound". I just hand reg'd the domain CorePurple.com...

The very first place I might "outbound" CorePurple.com to is the Baltimore Ravens, then maybe to the Purple People Eater, Minnesota Vikings, and the list goes on.
So staying with the outbound strategy theme, and acknowledging that we have different views of what kinds of names would sell well, what would you tell these potential buyers to show them that this particular name would add value to their business?

I'm truly on a mission to learn from you here, Rich. I'm not a natural sales-person myself, and I can't see any mention of the term "Core Purple" on either team's website. So how do you take them from "It's not on our radar" to "I need this!"?

Bonus question: Would you also recommend registering CoreYellow.com?
 
Last edited:
1
•••
This whole thread should be called "illogical discussion" Lots of bad ideas being fought by great pros like Brad and wwweb. Why argue with this nonsense? I think pros should irgnore this nonsense. With all due respect to notthatguy. He has restricted account with 0 feedbacks. Not much credibility for discussion.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
So staying with the outbound strategy theme, and acknowledging that we have different views of what kinds of names would sell well, what would you tell these potential buyers to show them that this particular name would add value to their business?

I'm truly on a mission to learn from you here, Rich. I'm not a natural sales-person myself, and I can't see any mention of the term "Core Purple" on either team's website. So how do you take them from "It's not on our radar" to "I need this!"?

Bonus question: Would you also recommend registering CoreYellow.com?
OK Joe...the entire city of Baltimore associates with the color purple. Go to BaltimoreRavens/stadium to see how their stadium is black and purple, then go to their online shop, and you'll see where most of their clothing jerseys, tee shirts, beer mugs etc. are black and purple. A good friend of mine from Maryland has Club Seats to home games and I get to got to some of their big games. You, being from Canada probably don't how important teams colors are to hundreds of thousands of people in Baltimore alone. How would you know Joe? I can't tell you exactly how or to who I'd be selling CorePurple to in Baltimore or Minneapolis, but I do know there's more clothing with the color purple in each of these cities than in any other cities in the country.

Joe...you're wearing me down buddy, if I knew exactly who to target today I'd be doing it, but if you were working for me, I'd be telling you what I know about Baltimore and Minneapolis and their association with the color purple, and I'd expect you to make it happen. If you didn't, you wouldn't be working for me very long. Make sense?
 
0
•••
if I knew exactly who to target today I'd be doing it, but if you were working for me, I'd be telling you what I know about Baltimore and Minneapolis and their association with the color purple, and I'd expect you to make it happen. If you didn't, you wouldn't be working for me very long. Make sense?

No. It doesn't make sense.

You have a domain with no clear buyer, but expect someone to have the ability to magically sell it. You are looking for a miracle worker.

If people have the skill set to sell stuff like this, there is nothing they need from you.

You are bringing nothing of value to the table.
Marginal hand regs = nothing of value.

That is the reason you are having such a hard time finding someone. You are overestimating the value of what you are offering, and have wildly unrealistic expectations.

Brad
 
Last edited:
1
•••
OK Joe...the entire city of Baltimore associates with the color purple. Go to BaltimoreRavens/stadium to see how their stadium is black and purple, then go to their online shop, and you'll see where most of their clothing jerseys, tee shirts, beer mugs etc. are black and purple. A good friend of mine from Maryland has Club Seats to home games and I get to got to some of their big games. You, being from Canada probably don't how important teams colors are to hundreds of thousands of people in Baltimore alone. How would you know Joe? I can't tell you exactly how or to who I'd be selling CorePurple to in Baltimore or Minneapolis, but I do know there's more clothing with the color purple in each of these cities than in any other cities in the country.

Joe...you're wearing me down buddy, if I knew exactly who to target today I'd be doing it, but if you were working for me, I'd be telling you what I know about Baltimore and Minneapolis and their association with the color purple, and I'd expect you to make it happen. If you didn't, you wouldn't be working for me very long. Make sense?
Rich, you remind me of a couple bosses from my past! :D

Okay, so I get the purple association. Why the word "core"? Does that have a special significance or does it just sound cool? And by extension, would any cool sounding name with "purple" be of value to someone in Baltimore? For example: CityOfPurple.com is available. Another good reg?

And you forgot to address CoreYellow.com. For Pittsburgh perhaps?
 
2
•••
Rich, you remind me of a couple bosses from my past! :D

Okay, so I get the purple association. Why the word "core"? Does that have a special significance or does it just sound cool? And by extension, would any cool sounding name with "purple" be of value to someone in Baltimore? For example: CityOfPurple.com is available. Another good reg?

And you forgot to address CoreYellow.com. For Pittsburgh perhaps?
The only thing I'll say to you Joe...is the color "Yellow" is associated with a chicken and the color "Purple" is associated with Royalty. Maybe you don't see the difference, but I do:xf.rolleyes:
 
0
•••
The only thing I'll say to you Joe...is the color "Yellow" is associated with a chicken and the color "Purple" is associated with Royalty. Maybe you don't see the difference, but I do:xf.rolleyes:
Hmmm. Good call, Rich. Someone should tell Pittsburgh!

I'm still curious about the significance of "core" and if any interesting sounding name with the word "purple" would be of interest to Baltimore buyers. Could you address that question?
 
3
•••
Hmmm. Good call, Rich. Someone should tell Pittsburgh!

I'm still curious about the significance of "core" and if any interesting sounding name with the word "purple" would be of interest to Baltimore buyers. Could you address that question?

Now that you understand the difference between yellow and purple, let me try to educate you on my thinking about the word "core" First, I think it was you who said, do you like it because it sounds "cool":xf.cool:...Joe, I'll go with that plus there are two definitions of "core" that I like in association with the word "core". Then you combine that with, and I guessed you missed it, GD values the keyword "core" at $2,065. Then when you go to Nambio and see where many two word domains starting with the keyword "core" are selling for thousands of dollars, I start to get the message.

Joe these will all be selling tools to justify selling the domain. I know you don't agree with me so this is the very last time I'll humor you, you're taking up way to much of my valuable time:xf.smile:

You have never learned anything from me, and I doubt you every will. Enjoy your life your way, and I'll enjoy my life my way:xf.grin:
 
0
•••
I know you don't agree with me so this is the very last time I'll humor you, you're taking up way to much of my valuable time:xf.smile:

You have never learned anything from me, and I doubt you every will.
Rich, I'm genuinely trying to learn about your thought processes, your ideas on outbound strategy, and how you value domain names.

It's difficult to learn without asking the questions, and I appreciate the insights. Mind if I ask some more?
 
2
•••
Now that you understand the difference between yellow and purple, let me try to educate you on my thinking about the word "core" First, I think it was you who said, do you like it because it sounds "cool":xf.cool:...Joe, I'll go with that plus there are two definitions of "core" that I like in association with the word "core". Then you combine that with, and I guessed you missed it, GD values the keyword "core" at $2,065. Then when you go to Nambio and see where many two word domains starting with the keyword "core" are selling for thousands of dollars, I start to get the message.

Joe these will all be selling tools to justify selling the domain. I know you don't agree with me so this is the very last time I'll humor you, you're taking up way to much of my valuable time:xf.smile:

You have never learned anything from me, and I doubt you every will. Enjoy your life your way, and I'll enjoy my life my way:xf.grin:

Rich, wouldn't purplecore make more sense? Following you logic and reasoning as to why it's a good name? Like, a good alternative for purpleheart?

And since your mentioned GD estimates and namebio sales data... They actually support the notion that corepurple holds no intrinsic value.

Obviously core ain't that bad of a keyword as a stand alone word. But study the data of sales a bit more. Notice the huge drop in sales amount and the way the word works well with the second keyword. Filter out anything tech related and you're left with $100 sales.

Now for a quick flip even $100 wouldn't be bad but look at the age of the names. I bet most have been in use for some years before dropped and caught or have been held by investors. I doubt there are sales of recent handregs amongst them (although I haven't checked all).

Surely you could win the lottery on names like this but unless you're willing to flip within a year and sell for a low profit margin it makes no sense to invest in.
 
2
•••
Rich, I'm genuinely trying to learn about your thought processes, your ideas on outbound strategy, and how you value domain names.

It's difficult to learn without asking the questions, and I appreciate the insights. Mind if I ask some more?
"Mind if I ask some more"???

I don't mind Joe, but not until you scrutinize and analyze why two domains I purchased just prior to midnight last night may meet some of my personal criteria for "outbound" sales in 1,000 words or less;

Greatest7.com
and
NatsForever.com

This is very much "on topic" Joe, and your full and complete cooperation is appreciated:xf.wink: Thanks
 
0
•••
Rich, wouldn't purplecore make more sense? Following you logic and reasoning as to why it's a good name? Like, a good alternative for purpleheart?

And since your mentioned GD estimates and namebio sales data... They actually support the notion that corepurple holds no intrinsic value.

Obviously core ain't that bad of a keyword as a stand alone word. But study the data of sales a bit more. Notice the huge drop in sales amount and the way the word works well with the second keyword. Filter out anything tech related and you're left with $100 sales.

Now for a quick flip even $100 wouldn't be bad but look at the age of the names. I bet most have been in use for some years before dropped and caught or have been held by investors. I doubt there are sales of recent handregs amongst them (although I haven't checked all).

Surely you could win the lottery on names like this but unless you're willing to flip within a year and sell for a low profit margin it makes no sense to invest in.

Dirk...i'm sure you knew this, but the domain PurpleCore.com is already taken, and GD values it at $2,281 and the owner of the domain is asking $11,990.

So in order for you and I to better understand each other, I'll ask you to scrutinize and analyze the following domains I purchased just after midnight last night. Now if you do a good job in a thousand words or less, I'll help you to get into my head with regards to Outbound Logic. I thank you in advance my friend from the Netherlands:xf.smile:

Greatest7.com

and

NatsForever.com

note, even .coms as intellectual property are really cheap, and understanding risk vs. reward and outbound sales like I do is a gift:xf.wink:

Oh, and here is one more domain that I hand reg'd two days ago that may be one of my best catches to date;

CoughCPR.com - you may want to do a simple Google search on this name Dirk, then check HosterStats to learn why the domain industry to me is like the gift that keeps on giving
 
0
•••
For me it never works directly, but maybe it works indirectly. So, maybe mention the domain name, and say something interesting about it. And then they will keep the message for a while , and when they have another input from another place later, suddently they may decide to buy. If you want to sell quickly, you need to make the potential buyer like you. This part is more like dating, or applying for a job. If you can "sell" (market) yourself well, you can also sell your domain. But I totally hate this part of domaining, because it is an emotional activity, not a logical one.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Yes, you may eventually find someone willing to buy... but how much of your time and resources will be used up in the attempt? And how much will you ultimately make from the sale? The cost/benefit model doesn't work.

unless the amount earned is worth a lot
in the country you live in

( not mentoning Nigeria this time .... )
 
1
•••
"Mind if I ask some more"???

I don't mind Joe, but not until you scrutinize and analyze why two domains I purchased just prior to midnight last night may meet some of my personal criteria for "outbound" sales in 1,000 words or less;

Greatest7.com
and
NatsForever.com

This is very much "on topic" Joe, and your full and complete cooperation is appreciated:xf.wink: Thanks
Hmmm... NatsForever seems to be in reference to the Washington Nationals. So I suspect you see a lot of value for Washington residents and baseball fans/businesses in general?

My presumption is that Greatest7 is closely related, perhaps referencing the 7-game world series. Or all 7-game world series'? Kind of an homage to the sport and its most memorable post-season battles.

A few more questions on CorePurple (thanks for entertaining them):
  • You mentioned two definitions. One I understand: core, meaning central (i.e. purple is at their core). Which other one did you like (and why): the core of a fruit, or the Earth's core?
  • You also mentioned GD's valuation of "core", and previously recorded sales. I had a look at Namebio as well and did indeed see quite a few, such as: CoreWealth, CoreDynamics, CoreRealEstate, CoreLaboratory. In all instances of $1K+ sales, "core" was the descriptive word accompanying a noun. In the case of CorePurple, both words appear to be descriptive. Is that a concern at all? Do you think those kinds of factors should be taken into account when determining the commercial validity or value of a name?
You educated me on why CoreYellow would be a poor choice (much appreciated). You also didn't say anything about my suggestion of CityOfPurple.com, so I'll assume that too was a miss by me. I'm clearly way off the mark of understanding how you find valuable names. Are there any tips/hints you can provide, or do your choices come from more of an intangible, instinctual feeling based on your 50 years of experience?
 
3
•••
For me it never works directly, but maybe it works indirectly. So, maybe mention the domain name, and say something interesting about it. And then they will keep the message for a while , and when they have another input from another place later, suddently they may decide to buy. If you want to sell quickly, you need to make the potential buyer like you. This part is more like dating, or applying for a job. If you can "sell" (market) yourself well, you can also sell your domain. But I totally hate this part of domaining, because it is an emotional activity, not a logical one.
I totally agree topdown, especially the part about the making the potential buyer like you. Ironically, and you would never know it by reading personal attacks directed at me, my domains and my ideas. Meeting people, getting to know them and understanding their wants and needs has always been my forte. I've come to grips to being referred to as a Narcissist by the domain cabal that follows me on NP. To that extent, I may start referring to myself as the HumbleNarcissist:xf.smile:

I think certain domains, depending on their purpose lend themselves to "inbound", while other lend themselves to "outbound" Take for example, I was born in Washington DC in 1947, and when I was old enough to learn about baseball I became a Washington Senators fan when I turned 5-6. I remained a fan until I left to go away to college in 1966-70. btw, the Senators sucked like I do at golf, and they eventually left town to become the Minnesota Twins and the Texas Rangers. Then they were without a team for 15 years just to have the Montreal Expos come to town and set up shop. So 15 years later they win the Word Series and you can't get me out of the clouds.

Ironically, I live in VB, Va. now about 200 miles south of DC however, two of VB's finest son's play for the Nationals, Ryan Zimmerman, and their closer Dan Hudson. Zim as he's called makes 18M a year and Hudson who is new to the Nat's makes about 2M a year...bare with me because I'm leading up to something. So last night after watching the game and seeing Hudson strike out the last batter at 11;53 pm ECT, after savoring a Scotch, I started to think of a domain that might be appropriate. Well, I came up with two, Greatest7.com (has to to with winning the World Series in 4 of seven games) and ForeverNats.com which is self explanatory. And for lack of a better term I would call these event driven domains. So how do I best monetize these domains? I may list them somewhere like Afternic, but in order to sell them I "outbound" is critical. It just so happens I have friends here in VB who know Zimmerman and his family, and since Iearned that Dan Hudson went to high school and college locally, I believe I may be able to get to his manager. And it may be that both Zimmerman and Hudson might write a book together titled Greatest7 -meaning the greatest seven innings in baseball, and just maybe they would give me some of the royalties. Like I said here before, I'm a trusting soul, and I would trust them to do the right thing by me.

I own other event driven domains that would be appropriate for outbound and I can't wait to either train someone to learn from me, or hopefully have some time to do it myself. That's all, and thanks for sharing topdom:xf.smile:

ps. btw, i just went back and bought TheGreatest7 because there are other major league sports whose champions are determined by the best of 7 games...NBA Basketball for example and NHL or the National Hockey League. That's my way of dotting my i's and crossing my t's. It's also all about risk vs. reward:xf.wink:
 
0
•••
my personal criteria for "outbound" sales
Rich, I think my mental note-taking has failed me... Do you think you could provide a list of your personal outbound criteria, perhaps in bullet form? It would be a nice, easy reference for myself and other members for any future analyses of names.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
Rich, I think my mental note-taking has failed me... Do you think you could provide a list of your personal outbound criteria, perhaps in bullet form? It would be a nice, easy reference for myself and other members for any future analyses of names.
Sorry Joe...other priorities have emerged that take precedence right now. I'll have to put you off until January of 2020. Get back to me then, and maybe I can squeeze you in. Have a nice Thanksgiving and Christmas.
 
0
•••
Sorry Joe...other priorities have emerged that take precedence right now. I'll have to put you off until January of 2020. Get back to me then, and maybe I can squeeze you in. Have a nice Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Ah, fair enough. Sounds good, Rich.

Good luck with your projects and enjoy your 2 month hiatus from NamePros!
 
1
•••
Ah, fair enough. Sounds good, Rich.

Good luck with your projects and enjoy your 2 month hiatus from NamePros!
Didn't say I was leaving NP, but rather I don't have time to help you:xf.wink:
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back