NameSilo

discuss Logical Outbound Discussion

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

BoGoKing

Restricted (15-30%)
Impact
3,361
There seems to be a lot of conversation and consternation around inbound marketing of domains vs. outbound. Domains sold strictly via inbound might be considered, "Buy and Hold" or "Buy and Hoard", while outbound marketing is more of a progressive/aggressive approach.

As a business guy with almost 50 years of marketing/selling experience (see my Linkedin bio here on NP via information page). In my prior business life, 80% of my sales have been a result of outbound efforts. Much of it has been a result of what has been traditionally referred to as "cold calling" which seems to be a lost art with the advent of the internet.

Domain professionals here on NP and elsewhere seem to think outbound marketing won't work, although they claim to have tried it, and FAILED miserably:xf.frown: Personally I believe it will work, "if" done right. In my case, the first thing I need to do is attract a savvy technical individual who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. By that I mean they are either unemployed, are a visionary or are an entrepreneur like me.

btw, there isn't just one way to succeed at outbound marketing. Targeted email marketing is one way, direct mail marketing is another and phone sales and follow up is another way. All three of these techniques still work today in other industries, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to work in the domain industry imo.

I'm not asking NP members why outbound won't work, but rather why outbound will work. If some of you think it can work, I would like to hear from you. I'll start with "targeted" outbound marketing, for if you don't know your target, you're sure to fail.

Let's revolutionize domaining like the Wright Brothers revolutionized travel. What do you say:xf.grin: This can't be that hard...or can it?
 
5
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Soofi...i really would suggest you take a look at my Linkedin bio and judge for yourself whether or not I may have experience with "outbound sales" of any kind. It was Verisign who identified the major problem with your industry is the "Hoarding" of domains thus they call the majority of you hoarders. Do you even know what they were referring to? I see both "truth" and "opportunity" in their description, and I saw it when I arrived here at NP just 24 months ago.

Regardless of what you think of me, I don't appreciate the stalking and harassment on this message board the likes of what I've been subjected to since I arrived here. I know you wouldn't like it if it were happening to you either.
This is funny, do you know verisign used to compile lists of domains deleted, or unregistered, and send them out to domainers, for what purpose? They love it, they make more money. Can you imagine sitting at home and making $7 on every domain registered electronically. As usual you are living in the 70's.

Outbound only works when you have something better to offer them than what the are currently using, or something geo specific that will help them get some more organic leads. You can't really outbound to well with 2019 hand registered catch phrases. The reason R Goyal does so well is he is based in India, and can hire low paid workers to sit there, and spam thousands of businesses. If Bulloney did this he would come under the canspam act, and has assets of value which can be taken during legal action. These guys based abroad fear nothing as they tend not to hold any tangible assets in their name.

Once again brokers are not the magic answer.
 
1
•••
Giving away names? Hmmm...
 
0
•••
"The names you mentioned still aren't the types of names that sell well via outbound marketing."
and how do you know this Joe?...you needn't answer or attempt to answer because YOU DON'T!
Like with another one of the cabal...i didn't read beyond your first sentence because it's a waste of your time to try and tell me what I can and can't do. You may want to read what I said about "Domain Give Aways", and how I trust "most" people to do the right thing. Give it a rest will ya:xf.wink:
Rich, I have to admit I'm a little baffled... Didn't you start this thread to have an open discussion of opinions on outbound marketing strategies?

As much as I disagree with many of your opinions, I would never dismiss them in the insulting way that you just dismissed mine.

And why the need to refer to me (and others) as being part of a cabal? I wonder what political or economic agenda you think we're trying to jointly advance? It seems like a sad and xenophobic way to view a group of people who have taken the time to offer a lot of interesting opinions and information.

It's ironic that you trust most people to do the right thing, and yet you yourself are not able to show common courtesy and respect to a person who is trying to have a meaningful conversation with you.

You're absolutely right that there's no way I can know for sure whether or not the methods you propose would work. All I can do is speak my opinion, based on my own experience and the experiences I've read from others.

Respecting others is very important to me, and as such I did already read the full content of your post on domain giveaways. Again, it's not a tactic I would feel comfortable employing as I feel the cost/benefit ratio wouldn't make it a worthwhile endeavour. That being said... I'd be eager to hear how it goes for you if you ever attempt it.
 
5
•••
I have toyed with the idea of such a marketplace almost since my first days in active domain investing. A place primarily to attract marketing and branding professionals looking for domains for campaigns. I even invested in a domain name that might work for it.

I have not given up the idea of trying to set one up, although someone with better technical skills, strong links to marketing communities, more energy, etc would be better off to do this. Oh and probably about 50 years younger :xf.wink:.

Bob
Bob, I just grabbed a name in the closeouts to list at your new marketplace:

CareToChat (.com)

I'm a big fan of expression domains as well. Recently sold FoolMeTwice at Brandpa, and have been keeping my eye out to collect more.
 
3
•••
This is funny, do you know verisign used to compile lists of domains deleted, or unregistered, and send them out to domainers, for what purpose? They love it, they make more money. Can you imagine sitting at home and making $7 on every domain registered electronically. As usual you are living in the 70's.

Outbound only works when you have something better to offer them than what the are currently using, or something geo specific that will help them get some more organic leads. You can't really outbound to well with 2019 hand registered catch phrases. The reason R Goyal does so well is he is based in India, and can hire low paid workers to sit there, and spam thousands of businesses. If Bulloney did this he would come under the canspam act, and has assets of value which can be taken during legal action. These guys based abroad fear nothing as they tend not to hold any tangible assets in their name.

Once again brokers are not the magic answer.
So you think I have assets of value in my name? .Com domains are so cheap, I can afford to give them away, and if just 10%, or 1 in 10 works, I'm way ahead of the game. If you need me to do the math for you I will, but you get the point.

The more I think about, the more we should be giving domains away to qualified consumers:xf.wink:
 
0
•••
Like with another one of the cabal...i didn't read beyond your first sentence
You've been disrespectful, belittling and name-calling to myself, others and the industry as a whole for over a year now. But honestly, because who you've consistently proven yourself to be, and show your character to be, I actually take it as a compliment when you insult me! HOWEVER .. it's your infantile child like behaviour of completely refusing to even read constructive criticism and advice that paints you as a truly lost cause and the picture definition of "ignorance is bliss"! You act like an ostrich not just with his head in the sand .. but with his whole body a thousand miles under concrete! It's tragic how afraid you are to even face logic and reason!

From the start I've consistently offered helpful advice. Taken my personal time to give you personalised opinions even in private. Then you turn around and wrongly include me in some imaginary group who you seem to think has some personal vendetta against you. I keep trying to tell you .. it's not you I'm attacking .. it's your flagrantly flawed ideas THAT MUST BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE THEY ARE DANGEROUS to other new domainers who might get the wrong idea of how to best move forward. I've always made a point to give clear and detailed explanations each and every time I disagree with you. I've said time and time again that what you're trying to do is business development and not domaining, and that you might be better suited going to a general business / start-up forum than staying in a domaining focused forum.

For all I know you might get one of your wild-and-woolly ideas to make money one day .. but as I've told you time and time again .. it won't be because of the domain .. and 99% of the value of any such developed business will be because of everything EXCEPT for the domain. Yes .. a cool domain can spark a cool business idea .. but you wrongly associate the value of your elaborate business ideas to their respective domains .. it's a mistake most, if not all, new domainers make. A reality you not just refuse to accept .. you refuse to even read or acknowledge as a possibility!

Associating the value of a potential not-yet-funded or not-yet-existent business to a random domain IS FISCALLY DANGEROUS AND WRONG (and it's never even a "must-have industry term" or the only domain that could be used)! Your continuing to make posts insinuating such value to you your domains gives newcomers a very misguided strategy on how to be a domainer. And YES .. each and EVERY time you continue to make such posts, I will continue to post why it's wrong .. not for the sake of arguing against you (because you've admitted MULTIPLE TIME that you don't even read) .. but for the sake of helping new domainers not follow your misguided path. What makes it even worse are your constant claims of self-grandeur .. nobody cares about what you did 30 years ago .. particularly after you've said it for the 200th time .. again .. it only points to your pathetic attempts at desperation .. trying to make yourself look better than everyone else so that you might trick someone to invest in your domains or ideas, or to get a broker to work for you.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/broker-needed.1160721/#post-7461648
https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...r-brandables-here.795094/page-50#post-7350562
https://www.namepros.com/threads/broker-commissions-and-the-extra-mile.1159433/page-4#post-7459074
https://www.namepros.com/threads/an...or-sale-in-publications.1135200/#post-7223764
https://www.namepros.com/threads/homes-re-released.1118934/page-29#post-7242016
https://www.namepros.com/threads/political-domains-and-events.1129640/#post-7167313
https://www.namepros.com/threads/any-brokers-who-go-above-and-beyond.1138516/


Beyond that, all you do is boast about your past .. how you did this and did that .. and how you got a few people to invest thousands of dollars in your domain schemes. You boast about how you talk with all sort of big names in the industry like @Rob Monster and other executives at some of the registries .. but then you trash talk them later when they don't get on board with your (ill-conceived) plans.

You have all these wild ideas like going to conventions, etc .. but conveniently never include the actual costs ... then when I or others do put forth the ACTUAL MATH to prove you wrong time and time again .. you just ignore the evidence and "don't read past the first sentence". You're a grown man .. maybe it's time you start to act like one!

Even now you talk .. you come up with a million reasons to avoid the very foundational question ... If you think outbound will work, and you can't stop boasting and self-glorifying about how amazing you are and how much sales experience you have .. THEN .. WHY DO YOU NEED SOMEBODY ELSE TO YOU PICK UP A PHONE OR WRITE AN EMAIL ??? Just DO IT! Heck .. not all your domains are complete garbage .. you might even make a sale!

As for your idea of giving away domains
.. it's just absurd .. most domains sold never get developed .. so you'd need people to give you 10x over what should already be a 50x-200x+ mark-up. Again .. the math just does NOT work unless you're buddies with millionaires, and then it's basically a lottery ticket. Worse yet is that if people get a domain for free, then they'll be even less likely to actually make an effort to do something with it.

At the very least .. please delete BoBoWings and register BobosWings .. get the proper grammatically correct English version! It's still available at $7.49 at Epik or $8.49 at GoDaddy .. maybe even $1.99 at Network Solutions with a coupon if you prefer!

If you got this far .. PLEASE ..
take a minute to look in the mirror and see how you've done nothing but belittle and insult people who have taken the time to try to help you understand that we think you're making costly mistakes. It's not in my or anyone's interest to constantly waste time repeating the same things over and over again.

At the very least read and try to understand our advice .. and if you're not going to properly communicate like an adult (which again .. includes listening/reading opinions different from your own), then please, on behalf of everyone at NamePros, please choose to participate at a more relevant venue .. I honestly and genuinely suggest one focused more towards business development. Otherwise please take the time to try to understand other people's perspectives and views. Also, please stop with the self promotion and self-glorification .. it just makes you look desperate .. and more importantly, when you turn to that instead of rational constructive arguments and reason, it just show how disingenuous are are at actually participating in constructive dialog and debate.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do .. because in the end the more people who succeed with domains, the better it is for the industry as a whole.
 
Last edited:
6
•••
Every one of these threads goes the same way...

1.) Talk about how great I am.
2.) Namedrop to make me seem more important and credible.
3.) Spam a bunch of unrelated domains I own.
4.) Talk about how everyone else is a "hoarder", but not me the guy with 1500+ domains and no sales.
5.) Talk about how messed up the domain industry is and how I have all the solutions.
6.) Belittle, insult and demean others; people who have actually had success in the field.
7.) Try to find a "technical partner". AKA someone who does all the work, when all I bring to the table are marginal domains and unrealistic ideas.
8.) Rinse and Repeat.

Dunning-Kruger.
 
Last edited:
10
•••
0
•••
So you think I have assets of value in my name? .Com domains are so cheap, I can afford to give them away, and if just 10%, or 1 in 10 works, I'm way ahead of the game. If you need me to do the math for you I will, but you get the point.

The more I think about, the more we should be giving domains away to qualified consumers:xf.wink:
Nobody cares about your domain based assets, hard assets ie) real estate, securities etc...

Outbound farms out of India do not care about recourse from legal spam laws, as would someone based out of North America who is within arms reach of legal recourse when it comes to being held for damages, when it comes to non subscribed outbound marketing on a larger scale, without layers of anonymous accounts.

The registers are happy to give domains away to users as long as they purchase hosting, and other services, those systems have been in place for almost 20 years.
 
1
•••
Nobody cares about your domain based assets, hard assets ie) real estate, securities etc...

Outbound farms out of India do not care about recourse from legal spam laws, as would someone based out of North America who is within arms reach of legal recourse when it comes to being held for damages, when it comes to non subscribed outbound marketing on a larger scale, without layers of anonymous accounts.

The registers are happy to give domains away to users as long as they purchase hosting, and other services, those systems have been in place for almost 20 years.
I'm still not following you? If you're familiar with trusts and the like I have NO assets anyone can get their slimy hands on, and that's not to say I would do anything wrong anyway.

Now moving on to an "outbound" model where for a qualified customer, I would give them a domain along with some consulting services, and/or a business model that might help them be successful. Are you following me? I can give you an example if you would like. I not only have a lot of experience NAMING businesses, but I'm also experienced at starting and operating businesses. Regardless of what anyone here on NP says, I'm the REAL DEAL who has, and can show credentials:xf.wink:
 
0
•••
I have toyed with the idea of such a marketplace almost since my first days in active domain investing. A place primarily to attract marketing and branding professionals looking for domains for campaigns. I even invested in a domain name that might work for it.

I have not given up the idea of trying to set one up, although someone with better technical skills, strong links to marketing communities, more energy, etc would be better off to do this. Oh and probably about 50 years younger :xf.wink:.

Bob
Bob...you're the voice of reality. I need the exact same things you do to "Make Something Happen" in this industry. I know from experience what needs to be done, but I need someone who can compliment my strengths and shore up my weaknesses. I did have someone locally who contacted me via this thread, and ironically he's been a member of NP for almost five years. The problem is that he has a full time professional in addition to development of several of his own sites, so he already has a lot on his plate. Maybe we can work something out?

On another note, do you know anything about domain giveaway programs? Instead of someone looking for me, i intend to make it my business to look for them...the reason for developing an expertise in "outbound". I can hear it now...gee, anyone can give domains away for free:xf.smile:Regardless of what anyone says, domains are "cheap" and "plentiful", and that's something I intend to exploit. As a business guy myself, I'm looking at how I might feel "if" someone were to give me a domain that I could pay for later if I'm successful. Fortunately I have the credentials to show an "end user" that I can help. It's sort of like needing to show your credentials to get your first job, but once you establish credibility, the world is your oyster:xf.wink:

Comments other than what I hear from some about 9Time™, "You can't reinvent Golf"....it cracks me up:xf.grin:....when they learn and see the tombstone for; GolfDied.com

Thanks Bob
 
0
•••
@Bob Hawkes you have highlighted all the important posts related to outbound... however any who would be serious about outbound would have taken the pain and gone through all these wonderful posts already...
So what do you think about this as a domain to promote a new "outbound" business plan?

FreeDomainRx.com

Seriously:xf.wink: and thanks.
 
0
•••
@ThatNameGuy, I make this post hesitantly since it may seem, to some, as braggadocious. However I want you to see that, in many ways you and I have similar backgrounds.

As you, I too have started, bought, sold and named several business in my life; employed hundreds of individuals, attended and displayed at international trade shows; met many famous people including authors, actors, CEO's of publicly held companies, even a Vice President of the United States. Does that make me any better suited to be a domain investor? NO

Each business I have entered has unique characteristics that need to be addressed; some that overlap other industries, others not. You say you were into medical billing. Even in subsets it would take different strategies and skill sets to successfully profit in that realm. If by medical billing you are referring to managing the invoicing and insurance reimbursements of doctors, hospitals or labs, it would be a whole different mindset than if you were collecting the unpaid medical invoices of patients that are not paying those invoices, for whatever reason.

Regarding trade shows and giving names away, I have never mentioned this on NP before, but 2 years ago I was approached (inbound) by a startup tech company for one of my brandable names. They felt it was a great match to what they were developing. While we agreed on it's worth, it was more than this startup could fund. I did not give the name away and hope that they would be nice to me. Instead we exchanged the name, and some consulting work, for a 1/3 equity in the business. This was later diluted to 20% when we sold other equity to a deep pocket investor. The business has not crossed into profitability yet, but I am sold on the founders vision.

This time last year, we (the new start up mentioned above) were setting up at the National Association of Realtors Show in Boston. For a small exhibit space, we invested over $20,000 in rental, freight, travel, lodging and food. Obviously this would not be feasible for a domain investor to do to market names. So maybe your intent is to be at the show as an attendee and network to find homes for your names. Unless you are there for other business purposes, you would still be multiple thousands of dollars and thus would not be feasible.

Your original post was about "Logical Outbound Discussion" but went off on these rabbit trails. Despite my background I have had a zero success rate at outbounding GEO names, which should be the easiest to outbound. If you have a better mousetrap to do it, then my hat is off to you. I suggest you get going on it and show the industry how to effectively do it. You say that you are looking for a person to work with. In my experience, If you can not find a suitable Joint Venture partner, I suggest that you hire the tech person that you want. Believe in your plan.

Others: please forgive my listing my background and name trade like this. I wanted the OP to understand that there are other domain investors here that come from business background.
 
6
•••
@ThatNameGuy, I make this post hesitantly since it may seem, to some, as braggadocious. However I want you to see that, in many ways you and I have similar backgrounds.

As you, I too have started, bought, sold and named several business in my life; employed hundreds of individuals, attended and displayed at international trade shows; met many famous people including authors, actors, CEO's of publicly held companies, even a Vice President of the United States. Does that make me any better suited to be a domain investor? NO

Each business I have entered has unique characteristics that need to be addressed; some that overlap other industries, others not. You say you were into medical billing. Even in subsets it would take different strategies and skill sets to successfully profit in that realm. If by medical billing you are referring to managing the invoicing and insurance reimbursements of doctors, hospitals or labs, it would be a whole different mindset than if you were collecting the unpaid medical invoices of patients that are not paying those invoices, for whatever reason.

Regarding trade shows and giving names away, I have never mentioned this on NP before, but 2 years ago I was approached (inbound) by a startup tech company for one of my brandable names. They felt it was a great match to what they were developing. While we agreed on it's worth, it was more than this startup could fund. I did not give the name away and hope that they would be nice to me. Instead we exchanged the name, and some consulting work, for a 1/3 equity in the business. This was later diluted to 20% when we sold other equity to a deep pocket investor. The business has not crossed into profitability yet, but I am sold on the founders vision.

This time last year, we (the new start up mentioned above) were setting up at the National Association of Realtors Show in Boston. For a small exhibit space, we invested over $20,000 in rental, freight, travel, lodging and food. Obviously this would not be feasible for a domain investor to do to market names. So maybe your intent is to be at the show as an attendee and network to find homes for your names. Unless you are there for other business purposes, you would still be multiple thousands of dollars and thus would not be feasible.

Your original post was about "Logical Outbound Discussion" but went off on these rabbit trails. Despite my background I have had a zero success rate at outbounding GEO names, which should be the easiest to outbound. If you have a better mousetrap to do it, then my hat is off to you. I suggest you get going on it and show the industry how to effectively do it. You say that you are looking for a person to work with. In my experience, If you can not find a suitable Joint Venture partner, I suggest that you hire the tech person that you want. Believe in your plan.

Others: please forgive my listing my background and name trade like this. I wanted the OP to understand that there are other domain investors here that come from business background.
Now I'm really confused:xf.confused: The OP is me, and are you saying I, the OP, "went off on these rabbit trails"??? You may want to check again to see who led you down these rabbit holes:xf.rolleyes:. It surely wasn't me.
 
0
•••
This is funny, do you know verisign used to compile lists of domains deleted, or unregistered, and send them out to domainers, for what purpose? They love it, they make more money. Can you imagine sitting at home and making $7 on every domain registered electronically. As usual you are living in the 70's.

Outbound only works when you have something better to offer them than what the are currently using, or something geo specific that will help them get some more organic leads. You can't really outbound to well with 2019 hand registered catch phrases. The reason R Goyal does so well is he is based in India, and can hire low paid workers to sit there, and spam thousands of businesses. If Bulloney did this he would come under the canspam act, and has assets of value which can be taken during legal action. These guys based abroad fear nothing as they tend not to hold any tangible assets in their name.

Once again brokers are not the magic answer.
More thoughts on "outbound". I just hand reg'd the domain CorePurple.com...why? First off, it's CHEAP, just $8.49 at Go Daddy. Second, GD values it at $1,728, Third, GD values the keyword "core" at $2,065 Fourth, I have an idea how to market this domain "outside" of traditional "inbound", where you list the domain, and hope and pray someone finds it:xf.rolleyes:

Anyone here familiar with sports and Team Colors? I probably shouldn't say much more than that for I might be accused of being a Narcissist:xf.wink: However, because I'm a sports fan and a Renaissance sort of guy, I realize that the color purple is a pretty big deal to some. The very first place I might "outbound" CorePurple.com to is the Baltimore Ravens, then maybe to the Purple People Eater, Minnesota Vikings, and the list goes on. Those of you who are way more familiar with AI than me, how and to whom do you think Core Purple might be market? What do you think of either a Bricks&Mortar or an online retail store named "CorePurple"? Doesn't the Vatican associate with the color purple? I'm just asking. Assuming again I am a narcissist, what do you think:xf.wink: Don't be afraid, I won't hurt you.
 
0
•••
Now I'm really confused:xf.confused: The OP is me, and are you saying I, the OP, "went off on these rabbit trails"??? You may want to check again to see who led you down these rabbit holes:xf.rolleyes:. It surely wasn't me.
He had many interesting pieces of information in there as well, Rich.

Do you still think the tradeshow route is viable? Like @NamesMax, I'm also curious to know if you would rent a booth or attend as a participant only. Does the hefty up-front cost concern you?

And in terms of the technical work, are you still confident in being able to find quality unpaid help? Or are you starting to lean toward hiring someone to do this work for you?

As far as outbound selling goes, I do think having landing pages on your names is crucial. Will you be making use of a service like Efty or Dan.com in order to save on costs and do that work yourself? Or will you be hiring someone to perform those tasks, or even to continue developing your marketplace site?
 
1
•••
I try to not participate in, or comment on, discussions that have become personalized. But perhaps I should say something. This is my opinion which I offer as nothing more than that, one person's opinion...
  • I think we should to the degree possible try not to personalize issues. This means not boast about past personal success, except recently making a notable domain sale, nor try to make an argument centred on the person making a suggestion . If an idea is bad it can clearly be shown to be so based on logic and evidence. We should discuss ideas not personalities.
  • It is never correct to be rude or condescending in my opinion. It is not correct to call names. Even if you feel provoked, it is not right. I am sorry if you disagree, but I am stating my opinion.
  • Always ask yourself: Why am I starting this thread? Does a thread on this topic already exist? Do I have specific insights to offer? Am I wanting to get other ideas on an opinion? Am I trying to promote one or more of my domain names? If the latter, you should not be starting a thread.
  • If you are seeking opinion, it is your duty to carefully read all serious views expressed.
  • It is not helpful or, in my opinion, ethical to drop names, relate information from private discussions, etc. on a public forum.
  • While many slip in our own domain names to a discussion now and then, we should not repeatedly mention our own domain names in threads. There are numerous highlight threads devoted to specific niches which we should use for that purpose.
  • We should be open to new ideas, even ones that at first seem crazy. Most will be wrong - the same as in science, startups, and many other areas of life. But the few that will be correct can be life changing. That said, it is totally appropriate to apply critical thinking to new ideas proposed.
  • While no one can read everything, when starting threads I think there is a higher responsibility to have done at least some reading in an area.
  • By no means do you need to agree with points or suggestions made in response. However, I think it is helpful when at the very least we read them carefully, thank the sender for the effort in the response, respond positively to the parts one agrees with, and then unemotionally and politely express why you disagree with other parts. We can disagree without being disagreeable.
NamePros have a superbly written item on professional interaction.

Bob
 
6
•••
Bob, I just grabbed a name in the closeouts to list at your new marketplace:

CareToChat (.com)

I'm a big fan of expression domains as well. Recently sold FoolMeTwice at Brandpa, and have been keeping my eye out to collect more.

Nice name! Don't hold your breath for me getting a domain phrase marketplace going, though. I have thought about it a lot but at this point in my life I have many more ideas I would like to do than energy to really do!

If I do I will of course let all my fellow NamePros domain name phrase enthusiasts know.

Bob
 
Last edited:
1
•••
but I need someone who can compliment my strengths and shore up my weaknesses.
While there is of course total logic to seeking to complement our strengths, I think there also is wisdom to hands-on in early stages to understand nuances better. I think the best way to learn most things, including what does not work, is to first personally try them ourselves. It is also less expensive (except for the time). One reason why start slow and don't register too many domains is good advice to those starting in domaining is so that people will have the time to be involved in both buying and selling. I think someone I know wrote a (nice? :-P) post on balancing buying and selling.

The advice that several have offered above to pick your most promising names and try it yourself is good advice, in my opinion. If you feel sure a different kind of outbound will work, try it to see.

Maybe we can work something out?
I spent 35+ (mainly wonderful) years being part of organizations and having responsibilities to many others, and even continued my first few years of retirements with some ongoing ones. I like my independence too much. I am the classic Do-It-Yourselfer and like to keep it that way.

But the really good news is that the most important thing to do is not technically challenging and does not cost a cent: have a professional lander. With something like DAN you can in not much more than one minute per domain have a really nice presence for each of your domain names. If you need help on how to do it at DAN (I think you already had some there?) or set the DNS to point to them don't hesitate to ask.

do you know anything about domain giveaway programs?
Not really (but there are loads of things I know nothing about :xf.sick:). Well I suppose it could be argued that numerous new extension registries, and companies with $1 or $2 coupons for .com, have essentially always done it with losing initially hoping people stay around and pay retail, at least enough to make it worthwhile.

"if" someone were to give me a domain that I could pay for later if I'm successful.
The idea of relating domain name to business success is a valid idea, in my opinion. High worth names often do this through partial ownership in company. Some sort of delayed payment plan method might work to achieve what you want. I know you said you were not considering registering at Epik, but they do have super flexible payment options you can offer clients and they do all of the management work. It only takes a minute to set one up.

Of course various companies offer free or near free trial periods. HugeDomains have a money back guarantee for a month or two, that is maybe related. NamesOfLondon also have a free trial period. I have toyed with the idea of some sort of try it for free for a little while model, but not to the degree of really trying it. Free at first works in many business areas of course. I think it would work best though for big companies who offer web hosting services so someone could get up and running a basic website, and then count on them seeing the value and staying once payments start. In a way payment plans offer a way to sample a domain name with limited up front cost. But short answer, no have not looked into idea. I did in one discussion with a potential end user throw out that I would redirect it to his site for a month for him to see how it worked (he had a website and was only interested in my domain for redirection). I would do that again.

GolfDied.com
I think the death of the sport of golf is over-stated in some press and feel more confident that golf will be around in 100 years than domain names as we know them now! :xf.cool: I think golf is ripe for change, though, and wish you well with the cheaper, simpler, more fun type of golf in your venture!

I would try to slow down on acquiring new domains, look at your portfolio and select the most promising ones, and invest the effort to make sure they have the chance to sell by being listed and with landers. It is totally fine to continue to work on grander ideas over a longer time frame, to, as you would say, MakeSomethingHappen.

Bob

ps In an earlier post you referred to me as an 'ally and friend'. Just to clarify, to me ally invokes us and them approaches that I do not like so I am not an ally to anyone. Whenever I speak I represent myself, no one else. But I try my hardest to be a friend to all on NamePros, and I enjoyed meeting you at NamesCon.
 
Last edited:
4
•••
While there is of course total logic to seeking to complement our strengths, I think there also is wisdom to hands-on in early stages to understand nuances better. I think the best way to learn most things, including what does not work, is to first personally try them ourselves. It is also less expensive (except for the time). One reason why start slow and don't register too many domains is good advice to those starting in domaining is so that people will have the time to be involved in both buying and selling. I think someone I know wrote a (nice? :-P) post on

The advice that several have offered above to pick your most promising names and try it yourself is good advice, in my opinion. If you feel sure a different kind of outbound will work, try it to see.

I spent 35+ (mainly wonderful) years being part of organizations and having responsibilities to many others, and even continued my first few years of retirements with some ongoing ones. I like my independence too much. I am the classic Do-It-Yourselfer and like to keep it that way.

But the really good news is that the most important thing to do is not technically challenging and does not cost a cent: have a professional lander. With something like DAN you can in not much more than one minute per domain have a really nice presence for each of your domain names. If you need help on how to do it at DAN (I think you already had some there?) or set the DNS to point to them don't hesitate to ask.

Not really (but there are loads of things I know nothing about :xf.sick:). Well I suppose it could be argued that numerous new extension registries, and companies with $1 or $2 coupons for .com, have essentially always done it with losing initially hoping people stay around and pay retail, at least enough to make it worthwhile.

The idea of relating domain name to business success is a valid idea, in my opinion. High worth names often do this through partial ownership in company. Some sort of delayed payment plan method might work to achieve what you want. I know you said you were not considering registering at Epik, but they do have super flexible payment options you can offer clients and they do all of the management work. It only takes a minute to set one up.

Of course various companies offer free or near free trial periods. HugeDomains have a money back guarantee for a month or two, that is maybe related. NamesOfLondon also have a free trial period. I have toyed with the idea of some sort of try it for free for a little while model, but not to the degree of really trying it. Free at first works in many business areas of course. I think it would work best though for big companies who offer web hosting services so someone could get up and running a basic website, and then count on them seeing the value and staying once payments start. In a way payment plans offer a way to sample a domain name with limited up front cost. But short answer, no have not looked into idea. I did in one discussion with a potential end user throw out that I would redirect it to his site for a month for him to see how it worked (he had a website and was only interested in my domain for redirection). I would do that again.


I think the death of the sport of golf is over-stated in some press and feel more confident that golf will be around in 100 years than domain names as we know them now! :xf.cool: I think golf is ripe for change, though, and wish you well with the cheaper, simpler, more fun type of golf in your venture!

I would try to slow down on acquiring new domains, look at your portfolio and select the most promising ones, and invest the effort to make sure they have the chance to sell by being listed and with landers. It is totally fine to continue to work on grander ideas over a longer time frame, to, as you would say, MakeSomethingHappen.

Bob

ps In an earlier post you referred to me as an 'ally and friend'. Just to clarify, to me ally invokes us and them approaches that I do not like so I am not an ally to anyone. Whenever I speak I represent myself, no one else. But I try my hardest to be a friend to all on NamePros, and I enjoyed meeting you at NamesCon.
All well said and articulated Bob, and I understand your comment about us being friends and not allies. While I don't have the time to address everything you said, I thank you for every word.

Starting with the personalization aspect of posting on a message board, that's something I can't help:xf.frown:, however being referred to as a narcissist is almost as hurtful as someone calling me a racist. And that's happened to me btw, and I don't believe I'll ever get over it.

Moving on to "landing pages", I couldn't agree more. Before having someone in JoBerg S. Africa attempt to develop my Marketplace DomainGourmet.com, I thought GD had listed with Afternic about 700 of my domains. It wasn't until recently that I discovered they hadn't been listed, but later today I'll be talking to my rep about the spread sheet he sent, and hopefully I'll have about 500 more domains officially listed at Afternic by tomorrow. This is something I thought someone else might take of for me, for I neither had the desire or the time to do it myself. I think I mentioned that through this message board I met a young man yesterday who lives nearby, who has developed several of his own sites, has been a member of NP since 2015, is a Washington Deadskin football fan like me, is a Fireman by trade and is married, I believe? He's so busy, he initially said he couldn't do anything with me until after the first of the year, but I begged him to spend an hour with me over coffee, lunch or a beer, and I'm hoping we can meet sooner rather than later. He had shown an interest in 9Time, although he initially thought it was a video game, and not just a variation of golf. He's also a Marine Veteran, and my golf partner who I play with every Saturday with his service dog Tulip is a disabled Army Ranger and I think they will enjoy meeting each other. The theme of 9Time centers around the #9, thus I'm giving 9% equity to key individuals who help 9Time to succeed.

With regards to the "Free" domain game, I haven't totally fleshed it out yet, but for someone who shares with me their business plan/model and key information about themselves I'll be more than happy to work with them any they choose. Remember, I said I trust most everyone, and if I don't start getting paid in a year or so, we can always take the name back....nothing ventured, nothing gained. Note also that while shoveling snow for neighbors driveways and walkways when I was a kid, I invariably got paid more than I would have asked for after finishing the job.

Finally, and while this would make an interesting thread titled, "If a Domain could save lives, and in some cases many lives, should you buy it and develop it? Or should you pass? Here's the domain;

CoughCPR.com -Google "Cough CPR", and read all about it, but please read the following before you comment

1. Let's say it's 7:25 pm and you're going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.
2. You're really tired, upset and frustrated .
3. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home .
4. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far .
5. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself .
6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE ?
Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness .
7. However, these victims can help the themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.
A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest .

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again .
8. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it to regain a normal rhythm.
In this way, heart attack victims can get help or to a hospital.
9. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!

OK everyone...i reg'd CoughCPR.com and it deserves special treatment imo, especially because it saves lives. If this domain could be traced for the purpose of lives, who do you think should know about it?

Thanks Bob...etal
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

Scheduled posts now show a small calendar icon
When NamePros posts something for you on a schedule, you will now see a small calendar icon before its date. Move your mouse over the...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back