IT.COM

discuss "Outbound Marketing Strategies"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
First, I'd like to ask NP members if any of you use a broker that aggressively uses "outbound" marketing strategies to market domains? Do any of them share how they do it? How much do they charge?

Second, now that I've actually sold some domains the old fashion way, I'm looking to start "outbound marketing" some of my domains my way:xf.wink:

As of this writing I've yet to register TwistatHome:xf.grin:com, but I've done a fair amount of research that if I do end up buying it, I have a plan to market it. First off, many of you old timers remember the dance called "The Twist" by Chubby Checker....how about the Hula Hoop from the 50's and 60's. Guess what? To this day people are still twisting the night away, and the hula hoop is still somewhat popular. I know critics on NamePros discourage thinking outside the box, but that's what I do. A few observations with regards to TwistatHome...according to HosterStats, someone owned it from April 2017 to May 2020. While it's three words, it's just 11 letters. With Covid-19 any exercise "at home" has become a big deal....why not "Twist at Home:xf.rolleyes:"

Like I said I haven't registered it yet, and I would have registered it at Epik if it weren't for the fact they don't have an outbound marketing strategy, and they just won't work with me:xf.frown: I'll probably register it at GD for the their name adds value when presenting it to potential "end users".

Anyone else looking to do something similar? Anyone know of a broker who employees "outbound marketing", or one interested in partnering? Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree that since you're local you probably know way more about the area. But you're confusing me now. You are forming LLCs and filing trademarks and at the same time outbounding the brand related domains? What's the though behind that?

If you are actually gonna pivot to selling real estate that makes perfect sense, and broadbay would actually be a fitting brand. If you're just selling the domains it doesn't make sense.

I also fail to understand to see any purpose in filing for a TM for a LLC that isn't even trading or planning to do so.
Derrick....have you ever heard of "value added".? I also reserved several of these names with the SCC in my state. It cost just $10 to reserve a name for 120 days, but you can keep renewing it similar to the way domains are renewed. Filing for a TM also adds value just as forming an LLC does.

I believe I may understand "value add" a little better than you ever will. I owned a medical billing company AcSel back in the 80's and 90's that was VAR or "value added reseller" for IBM hardware that matched up with our software.

Finally, i intend to take a 60 hour online real estate course, and become a real estate agent. Why do you suppose I might want to do that especially when I really don't intend to sell any homes?

And one more "finally", if everything goes according to plan I intend to brand BroadBay™ for fashion etc.

•••
Derrick....have you ever heard of "value added".? I also reserved several of these names with the SCC in my state. It cost just $10 to reserve a name for 120 days, but you can keep renewing it similar to the way domains are renewed. Filing for a TM also adds value just as forming an LLC does.

I believe I may understand "value add" a little better than you ever will. I owned a medical billing company AcSel back in the 80's and 90's that was VAR or "value added reseller" for IBM hardware that matched up with our software.

Finally, i intend to take a 60 hour online real estate course, and become a real estate agent. Why do you suppose I might want to do that especially when I really don't intend to sell any homes?

And one more "finally", if everything goes according to plan I intend to brand BroadBay™ for fashion etc.
Rich, how are you making time for all that while also spearheading the development of 9Time, DomainGourmet, and the virtual whisky tasting business??

•••
Filing for a TM also adds value just as forming an LLC does.

No it doesn't. It will actually complicate a domains sale. When you are not trading at all and have no intend to so a TM can easily be challenged as well. Hard to see any added value.

I doubt that. By the way, when it comes to resellers they only bring a service to the table that adds value for the client. They don't add value to the product. Huge difference. When it comes to domains it being TMed adds no value at all.

Cool, so only 60 hours in the US to become a realtor? What am I still doing here in the EU? But good luck. That's a interesting course to follow and not that hard at all.

•••
No it doesn't. It will actually complicate a domains sale. When you are not trading at all and have no intend to so a TM can easily be challenged as well. Hard to see any added value.

I doubt that. By the way, when it comes to resellers they only bring a service to the table that adds value for the client. They don't add value to the product. Huge difference. When it comes to domains it being TMed adds no value at all.

Cool, so only 60 hours in the US to become a realtor? What am I still doing here in the EU? But good luck. That's a interesting course to follow and not that hard at all.

About TM's adding value;

First Derrick, i would suggest you go to tmsearch.uspto.gov and check to see if someone ever held a TM for JudgmentScore®. Note, that someone may have been me:xf.wink:....the guy who developed a "scoring" program for the 25 Billion dollars of unpaid judgment debts recorded in America's court systems. Besides owning the domain JudgmentScore.com I also owned the TM for it because I felt it added to the names credibility regardless of whether I was going to develop the name for business or try to sell the domain. Tell me Derrick, how would the FACT that JudgmentScore® that matched the domain JudgmentScore.com complicate the sale of my domain? There's a whole lot of irony here in that I knew nothing about the domain domain industry when I first bought the domain in 2010, and while I was never able to get the necessary financing to launch my business so I stopped renewing the domain only to have someone pick it up a little over a year ago only to drop it in July so I could pick it up again just a few minutes ago. You might ask me why I own JudgmentScore.com again Derrick? My answer will involve "Outbound Marketing Strategies" or the title of this thread.

About your "Doubting" that my company being a VAR for IBM hardware that our medical software ran on "adding value";

Derrick, most of our systems were sold to Doctors and Clinics, and the FACT that we were a reseller of IBM hardware that matched up with our software helped us to sell many more systems than if we were a VAR for "Go Daddy" hardware. Make sense?

About "only 60 hours in the US to become a realtor";

That's just for the online course Derrick, but you still have to pass the exam. As a lay person who has been involved in a lot of real estate transactions and knows the local real estate market like the back of his hand, I may be able t pass the exam without the course, but it's a requirement just the same.

•••
Rich, how are you making time for all that while also spearheading the development of 9Time, DomainGourmet, and the virtual whisky tasting business??
Oh Joe....you doubt my multi tasking ability? I was never a big fan of our President Donald Trump who i didn't vote for, but I've come full circle and see a man who's able to juggle way more important tasks at one time than you or could possibly do in a lifetime. Just yesterday afternoon I played 9 holes ie. 9Time in our once a month competition followed by a gram or two of single malt whisky while talking about BroadBayRealty.com and BroadBayMortgage.com. Guess where all this took place Joe? Check out BroadBayCC.com and you may learn a little about my multi tasking ability:xf.smile:

•••
Oh Joe....you doubt my multi tasking ability? I was never a big fan of our President Donald Trump who i didn't vote for, but I've come full circle and see a man who's able to juggle way more important tasks at one time than you or could possibly do in a lifetime. Just yesterday afternoon I played 9 holes ie. 9Time in our once a month competition followed by a gram or two of single malt whisky while talking about BroadBayRealty.com and BroadBayMortgage.com. Guess where all this took place Joe? Check out BroadBayCC.com and you may learn a little about my multi tasking ability:xf.smile:
You're a titan of industry, Rich. How do you do it?

And yes, Trump is quite something. Question: Is it still juggling if you drop all the balls?

•••
Tell me Derrick, how would the FACT that JudgmentScore® that matched the domain JudgmentScore.com complicate the sale of my domain

Let's first state that I'm not a TM lawyer but this is basically from using my common sense/experience.

If you want to sell a domain that has a TM attached, you'll have to hand over the TM as well, or charge them for it. Now that TM costed you, and will cost the new owner in billable hours to get it transferred.

Basically it adds nothing but cost for all parties involved. Money wasted.

Now you could argue they could solely buy the domain without the TM. But that would leave them hanging with a filed TM that you could possibly resell to someone else further down the road. Now that TM could easily be challenged but again, a waste of billable hours and/or legal fees.

Also, a TM is not meant to protect your domain. It's meant to protect your business/brand and consumers. If you have no active business, no active TM or intend to use it you have nothing to protect. It doesn't protect your domain, or add value. It's all just hot air, trying to look cool.

•••
You're a titan of industry, Rich. How do you do it?

And yes, Trump is quite something. Question: Is it still juggling if you drop all the balls?
"Is it still juggling if you drop all the balls?".............no it's SARCASM:xf.grin:

•••
Let's first state that I'm not a TM lawyer but this is basically from using my common sense/experience.

If you want to sell a domain that has a TM attached, you'll have to hand over the TM as well, or charge them for it. Now that TM costed you, and will cost the new owner in billable hours to get it transferred.

Basically it adds nothing but cost for all parties involved. Money wasted.

Now you could argue they could solely buy the domain without the TM. But that would leave them hanging with a filed TM that you could possibly resell to someone else further down the road. Now that TM could easily be challenged but again, a waste of billable hours and/or legal fees.

Also, a TM is not meant to protect your domain. It's meant to protect your business/brand and consumers. If you have no active business, no active TM or intend to use it you have nothing to protect. It doesn't protect your domain, or add value. It's all just hot air, trying to look cool.

Derrick....do you have a clue how much it cost me to pay for the Trade Mark symbol for JudgmentScore®?
If Namepros™ resident lawyer @john Berryhill did if for you, it would have cost between $2,000 and $3,000.
I needn't share how much it cost me, but you can go to Legalzoom and determine that for yourself.

We really can't have an intelligent conversation about all this due to your limited knowledge and education about TM's and "Value Add" products or services. Stay safe across the big pond my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
We really can't have an intelligent conversation about all this due to your limited knowledge and education about TM's and "Value Add" products or services. Stay safe across the big pond my friend.

Didn't you fail to file for the 9time golf TM correctly?

Just curious, my knowledge is limited.

•••

Word Mark 9TIME
Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: The Game of Golf to include the name itself as a new game, to sell golf equipment, golf memberships, golf instruction and golf services
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 88597344
Filing Date August 29, 2019
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date June 12, 2020

•••
Word Mark 9TIME
Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: The Game of Golf to include the name itself as a new game, to sell golf equipment, golf memberships, golf instruction and golf services
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code
(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 88597344
Filing Date August 29, 2019
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date June 12, 2020

Thank you. I could swear it was filed wrong, not specific enough, not the right classes or something. Then he failed to provide additional documents in time, hence it shows as abandoned.

But you know, my knowledge is limited. Next time we better ask Mr berryhill so we can have an intelligent conversation.

Oh wait:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/trademark-vs-domain-question.1146015/#post-7836484

Last edited:
•••

LMAO...at least you're checking into whether or not I even filed. That said, i can refile tomorrow, but I'm holding off until such time I've hired a CEO for 9Time. btw, it wasn't like someone outside the USPTO disputed it....it was strictly a procedural issue that you obviously don't have a clue about

•••
LMAO...at least you're checking into whether or not I even filed. That said, i can refile tomorrow, but I'm holding off until such time I've hired a CEO for 9Time. btw, it wasn't like someone outside the USPTO disputed it....it was strictly a procedural issue that you obviously don't have a clue about

Sure you can. Unless someone beats you to it. Procedure matters. That's what I learned when I worked for one of the biggest global retailers, managing over 1K of brands.

But you know, my knowledge is limited.

Now we can go that route all day long but it doesn't add value for anyone reading. I'm more curious in what way you think a TM will add value, thus leaving you with more profit, when your intentions are just to sell the domain.

I don't see anyone doing it. Some exceptions not taken into consideration. Logically speaking it doesn't make sense. Yet you claim it's adding value. Genuinely curious.

•••
Sure you can. Unless someone beats you to it. Procedure matters. That's what I learned when I worked for one of the biggest global retailers, managing over 1K of brands.

But you know, my knowledge is limited.

Now we can go that route all day long but it doesn't add value for anyone reading. I'm more curious in what way you think a TM will add value, thus leaving you with more profit, when your intentions are just to sell the domain.

I don't see anyone doing it. Some exceptions not taken into consideration. Logically speaking it doesn't make sense. Yet you claim it's adding value. Genuinely curious.

"when your intentions are just to sell the domain." When did ever say that Derrick? Is that something you assumed? Ask Bob Hawkes about my intentions with regards to 9Time. No sense in arguing with you, just Google "how does a Trademark add value to a name?", and you can argue with the millions of companies that own trademarks:xf.rolleyes: If you're generally curious, I'd recommend you spend some time researching the subject which you obviously haven't done to date.

•••
LMAO...at least you're checking into whether or not I even filed. That
"when your intentions are just to sell the domain." When did ever say that Derrick? Is that something you assumed? Ask Bob Hawkes about my intentions with regards to 9Time. No sense in arguing with you, just Google "how does a Trademark add value to a name?", and you can argue with the millions of companies that own trademarks:xf.rolleyes: If you're generally curious, I'd recommend you spend some time researching the subject which you obviously haven't done to date.
Rich, you keep flipping between discussing all your business projects and your domain names. No wonder we can't keep it straight.

This is a domaining forum. You even started this thread to discuss outbound tactics for selling names, not tactics for adding value to a business idea.

Don't berate someone for not being able to follow the constant swings of your discussions.

So are you selling these names or building another business? Which is it?

•••
Rich, you keep flipping between discussing all your business projects and your domain names. No wonder we can't keep it straight.

This is a domaining forum. You even started this thread to discuss outbound tactics for selling names, not tactics for adding value to a business idea.

Don't berate someone for not being able to follow the constant swings of your discussions.

So are you selling these names or building another business? Which is it?
All of the above....sorry you can't keep up with me:xf.rolleyes:

•••

I'm seriously confused. You stated you have an outbound strategy for these names. That would involve selling the domain name now wouldn't it?

If you file an application to register your trademark/domain under an intent-to-use filing basis that would mean you claim to intend, and have good faith to believe so, to be using it in trade.

Obviously a TM adds value for brand protection. But the brand is not the domain (unless you're booking.com).

So, since a (the average) domainer can obviously not have good faith in their intent to be using their 'brands' in trade, how would that work?

If you're looking to set up a business, using the matching domain, then sell it all, I agree. But what does that have to do with domaining?

Edit:
Let's suppose I want to sell mycoolkeyword.com. Can you give me one example of how owning the TM would/could benefit my outbound results? I used this cool tool you mentioned but all I found was information about businesses registering them for brand protection and to avoid consumer confusion.

Last edited:
•••
I'm seriously confused. You stated you have an outbound strategy for these names. That would involve selling the domain name now wouldn't it?

If you file an application to register your trademark/domain under an intent-to-use filing basis that would mean you claim to intend, and have good faith to believe so, to be using it in trade.

Obviously a TM adds value for brand protection. But the brand is not the domain (unless you're booking.com).

So, since a (the average) domainer can obviously not have good faith in their intent to be using their 'brands' in trade, how would that work?

If you're looking to set up a business, using the matching domain, then sell it all, I agree. But what does that have to do with domaining?

Edit:
Let's suppose I want to sell mycoolkeyword.com. Can you give me one example of how owning the TM would/could benefit my outbound results? I used this cool tool you mentioned but all I found was information about businesses registering them for brand protection and to avoid consumer confusion.
Derrick...it's seems you're trying to confuse me. Let me give you an example, a domain that I was looking to buy several weeks ago was ComfortBike.com that was for sale at Go Daddy for $888.00. Unfortunately I missed it. Someone else bought it, and I think I know who. Because there are literally hundreds of millions of bikes in this world, my "intent" was to buy it and trademark it for every purpose imaginable that would protect the name and business idea I had for it. Alone I believe the domain may have been worth from 5k to 25k for the right buyer, but trademarked, ComfortBike® combined with ComfortBike.com may have been worth 100K plus. I'm sure you don't understand because you're not a business guy like me. The only other thing I'll add is that "outbound marketing" to sell the package of "ComfortBike.com and ComfortBike®" is no different than selling the domain ComfortBike.com by itself. The fact that you don't see how the TM that I might pay a few hundred bucks for adds considerable value is beyond my comprehension:xf.rolleyes: Don't bother responding Derrick because you and I aren't playing the same game, and we're only wasting each others time.

Last edited:
•••
Derrick...it's seems you're trying to confuse me. Let me give you an example, a domain that I was looking to buy several weeks ago was ComfortBike.com that was for sale at Go Daddy for $888.00. Unfortunately I missed it. Someone else bought it, and I think I know who. Because there are literally hundreds of millions of bikes in this world, my "intent" was to buy it and trademark it for every purpose imaginable that would protect the name and business idea I had for it. Alone I believe the domain may have been worth from 5k to 25k for the right buyer, but trademarked, ComfortBike® combined with ComfortBike.com may have been worth 100K plus. I'm sure you don't understand because you're not a business guy like me. The only other thing I'll add is that "outbound marketing" to sell the package of "ComfortBike.com and ComfortBike®" is no different than selling the domain ComfortBike.com by itself. The fact that you don't see how the TM that I might pay a few hundred bucks for adds considerable value is beyond my comprehension:xf.rolleyes: Don't bother responding Derrick because you and I aren't playing the same game, and we're only wasting each others time.
Rich, you started the thread to discuss outbound techniques.

@NameDeck is asking for more information about how your strategy works, even acknowledging he doesn't understand how a TM would add significant value. Why are you saying he's too stupid to bother explaining it?? Why bother entering into these discussions if you're going to shut someone down who wants to know more?

I have to admit that I also don't understand how you can TM a brand name without actively using it in a business that covers the TM category you applied to. If that were possible, wouldn't all companies TM their names for all purposes?

•••
my "intent" was to buy it and trademark it for every purpose imaginable that would protect the name and business idea I had for it

Alone I believe the domain may have been worth from 5k to 25k for the right buyer, but trademarked, ComfortBike® combined with ComfortBike.com may have been worth 100K plus.

Ever heard about trademark squatting?

Anyway, I was genuinely interested. Although I do think my knowledge on this subject is above average I have no problem acknowledging I'm not an expert. I was hoping to get some insight in your strategy as there's always things to learn. Maybe we're all doing it wrong.

That's the beauty of this forum. I don't ask for help much but in my experience there are very professional and experienced people available who don't mind having you picking their brain for a bit, so you can improve your own strategy.

It pays off to be asking for help and guidance when you are uncertain about your own judgement and knowledge regarding things you're no expert on.

If that interest in your thread and strategy makes me stupid, I guess we really are playing a different game.

Since you asked so courteously I'll leave you at it and best of luck with your business ventures.

•••

Rich, I understand your theory, but do you have any actual proof of concept?

There is a big difference between business theory and business reality.

How many domain + TM packages have you actually sold, especially ones that have no actual operating business behind them?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
About TM's adding value;

First Derrick, i would suggest you go to tmsearch.uspto.gov and check to see if someone ever held a TM for JudgmentScore®. Note, that someone may have been me:xf.wink:....the guy who developed a "scoring" program for the 25 Billion dollars of unpaid judgment debts recorded in America's court systems. Besides owning the domain JudgmentScore.com I also owned the TM for it because I felt it added to the names credibility regardless of whether I was going to develop the name for business or try to sell the domain. Tell me Derrick, how would the FACT that JudgmentScore® that matched the domain JudgmentScore.com complicate the sale of my domain? There's a whole lot of irony here in that I knew nothing about the domain domain industry when I first bought the domain in 2010, and while I was never able to get the necessary financing to launch my business so I stopped renewing the domain only to have someone pick it up a little over a year ago only to drop it in July so I could pick it up again just a few minutes ago. You might ask me why I own JudgmentScore.com again Derrick? My answer will involve "Outbound Marketing Strategies" or the title of this thread.

Well, I checked and the TM is canceled.

I assume you are going to try to renew it now since you think it adds so much value to the package?

Brad

•••
Well, I checked and the TM is canceled.

I assume you are going to try to renew it now since you think it adds so much value to the package?

Brad
You bet your sweet petunia Brad:xf.wink: With what I know about credit, debt, investigations, the collection industry, and especially what I've learned about this industry, I won't let an opportunity like this slip away again. Trademarking JudgmentScore® for a couple hundred bucks is a no brainer(y)

•••
Rich, I understand your theory, but do you have any actual proof of concept?

There is a big difference between business theory and business reality.

How many domain + TM packages have you actually sold, especially ones that have no actual operating business behind them?

Brad
Brad...you know you always bring out the best in me. I haven't sold any domain + TM packages YET:xf.wink:
Didn't anyone ever tell you that patience is a sign of virtue:xf.grin:

Two other domains I recently bought with TM's in mind for either fashion or technology are BroadBay® and CrabCreek®. I don't own the .com's for either name, but i do for the .co for fashion, and the .io for technology. Ironically I live on Broad Bay Brad and a local realtor and friend who is looking at investing in my idea for BroadBayRealty.com lives about two miles from me on CrabCreek:xf.smile: How cool is that Brad. Oh, did I ever tell you I use to teach "business theory" and "business reality" can be seen on my Linkedin bio that anyone can access right here on NamePros.

You probably never thought of this Brad, but if I own the TM for BroadBay® and the domain BroadBay.io, it limits the poor guy who owns the domain BroadBay.com. Regardless of what you may think, BroadBay™ and CrabCreek™ make for two pretty powerful and memorable names. What do you think?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back