Dynadot

discuss "Outbound Marketing Strategies"

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
First, I'd like to ask NP members if any of you use a broker that aggressively uses "outbound" marketing strategies to market domains? Do any of them share how they do it? How much do they charge?

Second, now that I've actually sold some domains the old fashion way, I'm looking to start "outbound marketing" some of my domains my way:xf.wink:

As of this writing I've yet to register TwistatHome:xf.grin:com, but I've done a fair amount of research that if I do end up buying it, I have a plan to market it. First off, many of you old timers remember the dance called "The Twist" by Chubby Checker....how about the Hula Hoop from the 50's and 60's. Guess what? To this day people are still twisting the night away, and the hula hoop is still somewhat popular. I know critics on NamePros discourage thinking outside the box, but that's what I do. A few observations with regards to TwistatHome...according to HosterStats, someone owned it from April 2017 to May 2020. While it's three words, it's just 11 letters. With Covid-19 any exercise "at home" has become a big deal....why not "Twist at Home:xf.rolleyes:"

Like I said I haven't registered it yet, and I would have registered it at Epik if it weren't for the fact they don't have an outbound marketing strategy, and they just won't work with me:xf.frown: I'll probably register it at GD for the their name adds value when presenting it to potential "end users".

Anyone else looking to do something similar? Anyone know of a broker who employees "outbound marketing", or one interested in partnering? Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You probably never thought of this Brad, but if I own the TM for BroadBay® and the domain BroadBay.io, it limits the poor guy who owns the domain BroadBay.com. Regardless of what you may think, BroadBay™ and CrabCreek™ make for two pretty powerful and memorable names. What do you think?

That is not necessarily the case.

First of all a TM is protected via actual usage.
Just filing an intent to use TM (1B) means very little.

Also, just filing a trademark is not some magic formula from blocking anyone else from using a term, especially for a generic use. "Broad Bay" is a geographic region. You are going to have a hard time blocking anyone else from using the term for the generic use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_Bay

If you have a secondary usage, like an unrelated line of products, that is far more enforceable.

Here is an example of an easily enforceable TM -

Word Mark BROADBAY
Goods and Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Distributor services for orthopedic and prosthetic supplies, namely, distributorship services in the fields of prosthetic limbs, prosthetic sockets used to fasten prosthetic limbs to the body, prosthetic knees, prosthetic pylons, prosthetic ankles, prosthetic feet, orthotic braces, orthotic insoles, orthotic joint systems. FIRST USE: 20171017. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20171017

There is a big difference between that and having an enforceable TM for a generic GEO location.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You bet your sweet petunia Brad:xf.wink: With what I know about credit, debt, investigations, the collection industry, and especially what I've learned about this industry, I won't let an opportunity like this slip away again. Trademarking JudgmentScore® for a couple hundred bucks is a no brainer(y)

I have no problem with a TM when it comes to a plan for an actual usage and company.

I just don't think a TM adds much extra value to a random domain for re-sale. There still needs to be a proof of concept on that. While the upside is unknown, the cost is known.

Brad

•••
If you have a secondary usage, like an unrelated line of products, that is far more enforceable.

Here is an example of an easily enforceable TM -

Word Mark BROADBAY
Goods and Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Distributor services for orthopedic and prosthetic supplies, namely, distributorship services in the fields of prosthetic limbs, prosthetic sockets used to fasten prosthetic limbs to the body, prosthetic knees, prosthetic pylons, prosthetic ankles, prosthetic feet, orthotic braces, orthotic insoles, orthotic joint systems. FIRST USE: 20171017. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20171017

There is a big difference between that and having an enforceable TM for a generic GEO location.

Brad[/QUOTE]
For Fashion all i need to do is make a couple of logo tee shirts Brad. Do you know how much that costs? And for technology all I need to do is develop a website or two. I know you're trying to discredit me Brad, but that dog doesn't hunt. You should probably go back to school....maybe law school:xf.wink:

Brad....you must think I was born yesterday:xf.wink: I have someone in my area actually working on a Wiki page for Broad Bay because there really should be one. Today alone there were over a thousand watercraft of all kinds that visited Broad Bay and over four miles of shoreline is part of First Landing State Park, First-landing-state-park.org Do you even know who Captain John Smith is Brad?

Keep trying Brad, but I'll always be two steps ahead of you and I'm an old man:xf.grin:

•••
I have no problem with a TM when it comes to a plan for an actual usage and company.

I just don't think a TM adds much extra value to a random domain for re-sale. There still needs to be a proof of concept on that. While the upside is unknown, the cost is known.

Brad
Brad...you weren't listening. This was developed as a company that I started in 2012 long before I ever knew about the domain industry. The ONLY reason it never launched was I wasn't able to get the funding for it. Regardless, the idea for it was stellar and the 25B of unpaid judgment debt recorded in our Nations courts is probably up to 30B dollar by now. Just because you have a proof of concept, unless you can get funding for your project it's moot:xf.rolleyes: Do you understand or do you want to waste more of your and my time?

•••
You probably never thought of this Brad, but if I own the TM for BroadBay® and the domain BroadBay.io, it limits the poor guy who owns the domain BroadBay.com. Regardless of what you may think, BroadBay™ and CrabCreek™ make for two pretty powerful and memorable names. What do you think?
I would have thought it would be really difficult to trademark the name of a geographic area for your own business use.

Is that not the case?

•••
For Fashion all i need to do is make a couple of logo tee shirts Brad. Do you know how much that costs? And for technology all I need to do is develop a website or two. I know you're trying to discredit me Brad, but that dog doesn't hunt. You should probably go back to school....maybe law school:xf.wink:

Brad....you must think I was born yesterday:xf.wink: I have someone in my area actually working on a Wiki page for Broad Bay because there really should be one. Today alone there were over a thousand watercraft of all kinds that visited Broad Bay and over four miles of shoreline is part of First Landing State Park, First-landing-state-park.org Do you even know who Captain John Smith is Brad?

Keep trying Brad, but I'll always be two steps ahead of you and I'm an old man:xf.grin:

I don't care when you were born. I don't care about your previous business experience.
It is largely irrelevant to buying and selling domains.

In the domain world there are much more experienced people when it comes to sales and a verifiable track record, much to your chagrin. Unless you are turning that previous experience into results in this field, who really cares.

Now "Broad Bay" has moved from a real estate company to fashion? Makes sense...
You are ready to take over the world!

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Brad...you weren't listening. This was developed as a company that I started in 2012 long before I ever knew about the domain industry. The ONLY reason it never launched was I wasn't able to get the funding for it. Regardless, the idea for it was stellar and the 25B of unpaid judgment debt recorded in our Nations courts is probably up to 30B dollar by now. Just because you have a proof of concept, unless you can get funding for your project it's moot:xf.rolleyes: Do you understand or do you want to waste more of your and my time?

I am not clear that you understand what proof of concept means. Without launching an actual project you can have no proof of concept period.

You just have an idea.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
What have a lot of these posts got to do with outbound strategies?.....Nothing, as usual it is all about how great the OP is and how everyone else does understand or appreciate his skills...

@bmugford
@Joe Nichols

You guys have the patience of saints dealing with this constant drivel......

Probably doing it to make sure newbies do not fall for the fantastical web of delusion and self promotion that the OP constantly spins, if so Kudos......

•••
I would have thought it would be really difficult to trademark the name of a geographic area for your own business use.

Is that not the case?
So Amazon® isn't a geographical area:xf.wink: There are hundreds more, maybe thousands but Amazon was the first that came to mind:xf.rolleyes:

•••
What have a lot of these posts got to do with outbound strategies?.....Nothing, as usual it is all about how great the OP is and how everyone else does understand or appreciate his skills...

@bmugford
@Joe Nichols

You guys have the patience of saints dealing with this constant drivel......

Probably doing it to make sure newbies do not fall for the fantastical web of delusion and self promotion that the OP constantly spins, if so Kudos......
I'm so sorry that you wouldn't have a clue how to "outbound market" a realty name to realtors. Here's a start, Google, "Top Ten Realtors". Thanks for chiming in,,,,Kudos to you too(y)

•••
I don't care when you were born. I don't care about your previous business experience.
It is largely irrelevant to buying and selling domains.

In the domain world there are much more experienced people when it comes to sales and a verifiable track record, much to your chagrin. Unless you are turning that previous experience into results in this field, who really cares.

Now "Broad Bay" has moved from a real estate company to fashion? Makes sense...
You are ready to take over the world!

Brad

Brad said rather sarcastically: "Now "Broad Bay" has moved from a real estate company to fashion?"
And if you check the USPTO names like Amazon can be trademarked for all sorts of things. I don't know if you noticed, but I was sharing with Bob Hawkes on the thread about .io domains that I'd just registered BroadBay.io and CrabCreek.io, and you don't think these names would qualify for a TM used in the tech world?

Brad, i have a track record of both "success" and "failure" in all sorts of things. It's taken me a few years, but I already have a track record of success and failure in the domain industry. Much to your chagrin Brad, I know "outbound marketing" of domains works, and I'm not even a rocket scientist like you:xf.rolleyes:

•••
For Fashion all i need to do is make a couple of logo tee shirts Brad. Do you know how much that costs? And for technology all I need to do is develop a website or two.
Just trying to sum up the discussion so far; let me know if I missed anything.

Your outbound strategy for marketing and selling BroadBayRealty [dot] com will consist of:
  • Contacting all realtors who service the Broad Bay area.
  • Registering several other domains that contain BroadBay + Product/service.
  • Developing products and services for each name, just to the point where the work you've done will validate a TM application.
  • Seeking trademarks for "BroadBay" that cover each separate product and service line.
  • Using this package of domain names, TMs, and pre-developed businesses to entice anyone in the Broad Bay area who is currently engaged in these activities (or wants to be).
Did I miss any steps?

•••
Just trying to sum up the discussion so far; let me know if I missed anything.

Your outbound strategy for marketing and selling BroadBayRealty [dot] com will consist of:
  • Contacting all realtors who service the Broad Bay area.
  • Registering several other domains that contain BroadBay + Product/service.
  • Developing products and services for each name, just to the point where the work you've done will validate a TM application.
  • Seeking trademarks for "BroadBay" that cover each separate product and service line.
  • Using this package of domain names, TMs, and pre-developed businesses to entice anyone in the Broad Bay area who is currently engaged in these activities (or wants to be).
Did I miss any steps?
Not really, and thanks for the recap. Many people have a hard time keeping up with me, but you deserve a medal(y)

•••
Sorry Rich, I was gonna leave you at peace but then you post this:

You probably never thought of this Brad, but if I own the TM for BroadBay® and the domain BroadBay.io, it limits the poor guy who owns the domain BroadBay.com.

Again, highly unethical and you should really look into TM squatting and engage on some other forums to get professional advice. For a second there I thought you were just trolling but you seem to be dead serious about this.

•••
Sorry Rich, I was gonna leave you at peace but then you post this:

Again, highly unethical and you should really look into TM squatting and engage on some other forums to get professional advice. For a second there I thought you were just trolling but you seem to be dead serious about this.
Just one other company owns a TM for BroadBay™ and here is a description for what they do;

"G & S: Distributor services for orthopedic and prosthetic supplies, namely, distributorship services in the fields of prosthetic limbs, prosthetic sockets used to fasten prosthetic limbs to the body, prosthetic knees, prosthetic pylons, prosthetic ankles, prosthetic feet, orthotic braces, orthotic insoles, orthotic joint systems".

unless there's something I don't know, how in the world if I was to apply for a TM for "Fashion" or "Technology" would there be a conflict? Also, I doubt seriously the owners of the TM also own the domain BroadBay.com:xf.rolleyes: Whoever owns BroadBay.com only has the domain name for sale at Uni aka Go Daddy.

Again Derrick...you and I are living in two different worlds and you sir are wasting your time and mine. Is someone paying you to do this:xf.wink:

•••
Not really, and thanks for the recap. Many people have a hard time keeping up with me, but you deserve a medal(y)
No problem. Wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood up to this point.

If we could, I'd like to do a little tabulation of estimated costs and then compare your method to one or two other more "traditional" domaining methods. This would require a bit more info from you though, for the sake of really understanding the strategy and its risk/reward implications.

So here's what I have for your potential initial costs:
  • $8 (approx) per .com domain name registration (and more for other extensions like .io, etc.)
  • $275 per standard USPTO trademark application (this is the cost per class of good/service that will require a TM)
  • $100 per application to show intended use (if not part of initial application)
  • $125 per application to request an extension (if not able to show intended use before the initial filing expires)
  • Variable costs - These are the costs associated with establishing good faith intended use of each TM application. It would include your examples of building websites (for tech services) and creating logos and sourcing t-shirts (for fashion). These ones are probably the biggest question mark, since I'm not sure what is required to properly show intent to use the TM for the class of good/service.
So I guess the additional info we need from you would be:
  • How many domains are you registering, and which extensions?
  • How many TM applications are you filing?
  • Are you planning to satisfy the needs to prove intended use immediately?
  • What are your estimated variable costs to set up business activities for each product/service class?
I guess a couple other big cost factors are your own time, and opportunity cost. Those are not so easy to tabulate, though, so I figure we can stick to direct costs.

•••
No problem. Wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood up to this point.

If we could, I'd like to do a little tabulation of estimated costs and then compare your method to one or two other more "traditional" domaining methods. This would require a bit more info from you though, for the sake of really understanding the strategy and its risk/reward implications.

So here's what I have for your potential initial costs:
  • $8 (approx) per .com domain name registration (and more for other extensions like .io, etc.)
  • $275 per standard USPTO trademark application (this is the cost per class of good/service that will require a TM)
  • $100 per application to show intended use (if not part of initial application)
  • $125 per application to request an extension (if not able to show intended use before the initial filing expires)
  • Variable costs - These are the costs associated with establishing good faith intended use of each TM application. It would include your examples of building websites (for tech services) and creating logos and sourcing t-shirts (for fashion). These ones are probably the biggest question mark, since I'm not sure what is required to properly show intent to use the TM for the class of good/service.
So I guess the additional info we need from you would be:
  • How many domains are you registering, and which extensions?
  • How many TM applications are you filing?
  • Are you planning to satisfy the needs to prove intended use immediately?
  • What are your estimated variable costs to set up business activities for each product/service class?
I guess a couple other big cost factors are your own time, and opportunity cost. Those are not so easy to tabulate, though, so I figure we can stick to direct costs.
Sorry...don't have time to run my business and analyze your guestimates. I'm headed to a meeting with a a realtor from Berkshire who is interested investing. Oh btw, i got in touch with her via her email address that's on her private website. Later:xf.wink:

•••
@RobMonster Cool feature. Some of those are very nice!

It is not free to produce these videos but we do them for (1) great domains, and (2) people we enjoy helping.

As a side note, I wish those who've been around for awhile would steer away from language that leaves newcomers feeling as though it's a "club" and only certain members are acceptable (you have to know the investor, pretty well I'd assume, to know if you would enjoy helping them). If domaining is a business, participants old and new should feel a part of the circle.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry...don't have time to run my business and analyze your guestimates. I'm headed to a meeting with a a realtor from Berkshire who is interested investing. Oh btw, i got in touch with her via her email address that's on her private website. Later:xf.wink:
Rich, why do you even start these threads? You're never willing to offer more than vague details about your ideas.

You claim to want to introduce members here to a new way of doing things, but you leave us completely uninformed as to the details that are necessary for us to understand how your method brings you success.

If you're not prepared to discuss details, don't start the threads. You're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

•••
Rich, why do you even start these threads? You're never willing to offer more than vague details about your ideas.

You claim to want to introduce members here to a new way of doing things, but you leave us completely uninformed as to the details that are necessary for us to understand how your method brings you success.

If you're not prepared to discuss details, don't start the threads. You're wasting everyone's time, including your own.

You mean to say you haven't learned anything from me...is this the way I make you feel:banghead: If you were nice I'd tell you and your friends how my meeting with the realtor from Berkshire went, but since you have ZERO appreciation I won't waste your time:xf.rolleyes:

•••
You mean to say you haven't learned anything from me...is this the way I make you feel:banghead: If you were nice I'd tell you and your friends how my meeting with the realtor from Berkshire went, but since you have ZERO appreciation I won't waste your time:xf.rolleyes:
You don't provide any content to learn from... There's no meat to your plans.

Meetings don't interest me. I like data. I like tangible results and cost/benefit models that I can discuss and compare to what I've been doing.

Don't you want the same? Why else are you here if not to discuss ideas, and mutually learn and grow with other domainers?

•••

Meetings don't interest me. I like data. I like tangible results and cost/benefit models that I can discuss and compare to what I've been doing.

Don't you want the same? Why else are you here if not to discuss ideas, and mutually learn and grow with other domainers?
:banghead::xf.grin:

•••

Joe, the answer is actually quite easy. Sometimes people just need or crave attention.

It is the same reason some people need to bring up unrelated business success in the past or namedrop constantly.

Any time you push on actual substance you get nonsense in response. These type of threads are just fluff with no actual substance.

Ideas are a dime a dozen. People care about actual results.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Joe, the answer is actually quite easy. Sometimes people just need or crave attention.

It is the same reason some people need to bring up unrelated business success in the past or namedrop constantly.

Any time you push on actual substance you get nonsense in response. These type of threads are just fluff with no actual substance.

Ideas are a dime a dozen. People care about actual results.

Brad
Even though I know nothing will come from the idea, I was quite interested in discussing it.

It's an inefficient way of trying to sell names, and much riskier than it needs to be, but I think OP actually believes that the money spent is an investment that will pay off down the road. I suppose it could be if done right, but the follow-through and attention to detail are crucial.

Ultimately I guess it's the hobby of starting these projects that appeals most to OP over realizing a return on investment.

A deeper look at the financial costs of all this would be great for newer members too. It could be easy to feel overwhelmed thinking that this is what it takes to sell a name... But in reality the several thousand dollars of proposed expenses here could instead be invested in one good name with the same potential ROI that OP is looking for.

And even if the time invested finding that one name is the same as what's spent starting these shell companies, your risk is still far less. The investment won't be a sunk cost because you'll have a real asset to show for it; one that is likely to retain its liquid value.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back