Dynadot

LLLL.com trivia

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've often thought that once the LLLL.com run out that the 4 character names with a hyphen will be given a lot more interest by domainers. Here is some information about them.

Number of 4 character names with a hyphen: 94608
Estimated number of those names unregistered: ~72150 (76%)

Number of 4 letter domains: 456976
Estimate unregistered: 53943 (12%) - estimate from DYYO.com

Number of 4 character domains without a hyphen: 1222640
Estimate unregistered: Over 1000000 (>80%)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
VURG said:
Number of 4 character names with a hyphen: 94608
Estimated number of those names unregistered: ~72150 (76%)

Don't know how many of those are real sites, as domainers typically don't like this type of domains.

•••
maybe there is life after 4LLL, but it feels like scraping the barrel with the hyphen....

•••
yoshiwara said:
..... but it feels like scraping the barrel with the hyphen....
That would hurt...

Seriously, in five or ten years, if this market continues to grow, there will be a lot of demand for much of what is considered junk today.

The key is in those words "much of". The folks who guess right will be well rewarded, others will have what still will be junk.

Last edited:
•••
I did use the title trivia for a reason.

I have noticed that BuyDomains have quite a few LL-L.com and L-LL.com and personally I think that they have a good track record in knowing what to buy. There was a L-LL.com that I was considering buying 2 years ago that isn't available today. I think that in the situation where two words are commonly together such as Real Estate, New York, Bill Gates, a L-LL.com or LL-L.com can be quite useful. (e.g. W-US.com could represent Washington, USA)

I live in Western Australia. Five years ago, nobody wanted real estate in a lot of small country towns. They had a low value for years and it was quite easy to pick land in the middle of many towns for under $10000. Because of all the huge growth in the in the past 4 years, real estate values have risen up significantly and now the attitude from investors is that any land is good land. Land in the middle of a country town makes is now seen as a good place for a holiday home. These blocks that were selling for less than $10,000 will now sell for more than $150,000. (1500% is a lot higher than average growth rates which are closer to 250%)

Personally I would rather a domain like P-AF.COM over a name like YQKR.COM as I can see more potential for an enduser. Both are unregistered. In the short term I think that it would be easier to sell the YQKR.com because of the LLLL.com status but in the long-term I expect P-AF.com to have a higher probability to fetch a higher price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back