IT.COM

discuss Lazy or active domaining strategy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

PatrickV

Established Member
Impact
Are you a lazy or active domainer?

Buy and wait OR do you do you send outbound emails to potential end users or do you have another strategy?

GLTA!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm probably on the lazy side.
I buy and wait for offers/potential buyers. I feel like if you outbound you don't have that power of negotiation because you are the one reaching out.

•••
This got me scratching heads.

I'm a hyperactive lazy domainer.

•••
Lazy is kind of a derogatory term and doesn’t apply to domaining. We probably all spend more hours a day hunting, investing, renewing, listing,reading, studying,selling, organizing etc than an outsider would think.

Waiting for an inquiry isn’t lazy its keeping the power in your hands because we all know outbound rarely pulls in the kind of end user pricing inbound does. It depends what your goals are.

The word you are looking for is passive not lazy.

Last edited:
•••
Passive domaining/domainer(s)/investing

Last edited:
•••
•••
Inbound sales only.
How has this been working for you.. for some time now.. inbound has not worked for me.. how do you navigate yours..

would really appreciate a reply

•••
How has this been working for you.. for some time now.. inbound has not worked for me.. how do you navigate yours..

would really appreciate a reply
Works OK for me. But I must admit that it might not be the best strategy for everyone.

When starting out, you have to decide whether you want to be a flipper or an investor. This will guide you on the decisions regarding the kind of names to buy, the amount of time and money you are willing to dedicate to this venture and the patience to wait it out.

Personally, my portfolio is made up of about 70% aftermarket domains and 30% handregs. I sell about 5-7 names a year or if I'm lucky, up to 10 names out if 200+ domains. Prices usually range from xxxx and very low xxxxx amounting to a net of mid xxxxx a year, which frankly is not too bad for a side hustle.

On the other side of the divide, there are people who do this full time; mostly via outreach and outbound. They also happen to sell more names in a year but likely at lower prices. For this group, the regular inflow of cash is important.

Both strategies have their pros and cons, just find what suits you best.

However, if inbound sales are your target, you will likely have to spend more to acquire names from the aftermarket.

You will also need a considerable amount of names before you start seeing any traction. So, having a total of 10 names won't cut it.

When you handreg, do it sparingly. Remember, you have to be an avid reader if you want to be successful handregging names that sell for big bucks. It's all about getting there first before anyone else does.

You'll also have to learn how to price right. With the low sale-through-rate for inbound sales, you can't afford to sell good names for cheap. That will just end up paying for renewals only and chances are you can't even replace the sold name with something of the same quality because acquisition costs are always rising. You also can't price too high, because no one will buy it then.

Finally, 9 times out of 10, inbound sales are all about patience. If you only get names with the intentions of dropping them within a year or two, then inbound is not for you.

Sorry for the long gist.

Last edited:
•••
Works OK for me. But I must admit that it might not be the best strategy for everyone.

When starting out, you have to decide whether you want to be a flipper or an investor. This will guide you on the decisions regarding the kind of names to buy, the amount of time and money you are willing to dedicate to this venture and the patience to wait it out.

Personally, my portfolio is made up of about 70% aftermarket domains and 30% handregs. I sell about 5-7 names a year or if I'm lucky, up to 10 names out if 200+ domains. Prices usually range from xxxx and very low xxxxx amounting to a net of mid xxxxx a year, which frankly is not too bad for a side hustle.

On the other side of the divide, there are people who do this full time; mostly via outreach and outbound. They also happen to sell more names in a year but likely at lower prices. For this group, the regular inflow of cash is important.

Both strategies have their pros and cons, just find what suits you best.

However, if inbound sales are your target, you will likely have to spend more to acquire names from the aftermarket.

You will also need a considerable amount of names before you start seeing any traction. So, having a total of 10 names won't cut it.

When you handreg, do it sparingly. Remember, you have to be an avid reader if you want to be successful handregging names that sell for big bucks. It's all about getting there first before anyone else does.

You'll also have to learn how to price right. With the low sale-through-rate for inbound sales, you can't afford to sell good names for cheap. That will just end up paying for renewals only and chances are you can't even replace the sold name with something of the same quality because acquisition costs are always rising. You also can't price too high, because no one will buy it then.

Finally, 9 times out of 10, inbound sales are all about patience. If you only get names to drop them within a year or two, then inbound is not for you.

Sorry for the long gist.

it didn't feel like a long read at all..

Thank you for taking your time to explain this to me.. Now I have better clarity..

Also please could you highlight some aftermarkets you use?

If you really do not mind, I would love to connect with you..

Last edited:
•••
it didn't feel like a long read at all..

Thank you for taking your time to explain this to me.. Now I have better clarity..

If you really do not mind, I would love to connect with you..
Sure, you can send me a DM

•••
•••
inbound only
but i want to try outbound to see my luck

•••
The fish fry strategy is perhaps the best but also risky. Get yourself some quality domains and they will sell them selves, you shall become a fisher of end-users!

•••
The fish fry strategy is perhaps the best but also risky. Get yourself some quality domains and they will sell them selves, you shall become a fisher of end-users!
Hi , I am always trying to understand from the pros in domaining, that what is a reasonably good way to search for quality domains . basics aside that .com and shorter better, should I lay much focus on metrics like age and authority? Is it best to catch the trending ones? so would love some light on these aspect out of your experience .

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back