IT.COM

information Just Sold a TM name today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I own an .org name and the name was registered in 2008.
I got an email from a man saying he owns the trademark of my name and wanted me to hand the name to him or he is going to file for UDRP.
After checking I see that he filed the TM 5 months ago on 04/2020.
I told him that the name was registered before his filing for TM and he has no leg to stand even if he files UDRP. Beside it's going to cost him money.
So I gave him 2 options: Go ahead and file or buy the name from me as I am not a CyberSquatter who registered the name AFTER seeing his TM.
After a couple emails back and forth he agreed to buy the name. The money is in my bank now.
It's a small transaction under $100K

Know Your Rights and Don't let the Bad Boy Scare You!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing, we all needed to hear that :)

•••
Thanks, @johnn for sharing your valuable experience.

I hope to never be put in this; (or do, depending your outcome ;) but will recall check date filed

Otherwise no leverage! Wow registered more than a dozen years before TM filed.

Last edited:
•••
that's good.

p.s. that's a big amount...not small...

•••
•••
At first, congrats for the sale! How you check it?

•••
•••
I checked the TM filing and the guy is a big boy in the Music Industry.

•••
•••
Thanks johnn, i used to use;

https://knowem.com/checktrademarkavailability.php

Yours seems more legit; But also good to have options.

Original USPTO database .gov search website is convoluted. like US wants u to hire lawyer just to search for the dam TM!! (let alone defend it)

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I got an email from a man saying he owns the trademark of my name and wanted me to hand the name to him or he is going to file for UDRP.
I told him that the name was registered before his filing for TM and he has no leg to stand even if he files UDRP. Beside it's going to cost him money.
So I gave him 2 options: Go ahead and file or buy the name from me as I am not a CyberSquatter who registered the name AFTER seeing his TM.
After a couple emails back and forth he agreed to buy the name. The money is in my bank now.

Well done, John. Nice one.

•••
•••
Under $100K is nothing.
We have a thread here which showcase all the names over $100K!!!

Last edited:
•••
Under $100K is nothing.
We have a thread here which showcase all the name over $100K!!!

Your sense of humour is priceless :)

•••
•••
I got several emails in the latest 15 years. Several from owners and a few from lawyers. These from law firms were in nice spelling and branded paper (these were coming by normal snail mail).

I always told them "go ahead if you think you right", 70% never follow up (including law firms) and with the other 30% I was able to manage a sale. Numbers are approximate of course...

Last edited:
•••
I got several emails in the latest 15 years. Several from owners and a few from lawyers. These from law firms were in nice spelling and branded paper (these were coming by normal snail mail).

I always told them "go ahead if you think you right", 70% never follow up (including law firms) and with the other 30% I was able to manage a sale. Numbers are approximate of course...
Statistically fascinating, actually. Ours is safe (IP-wise) but it's good to know this anyway. Thx.

•••
Under $100K is nothing.
We have a thread here which showcase all the names over $100K!!!

I want invitation to the world u live in where round 100k is nothing heheh

•••
white-house.jpg

•••
@johnn for president!

Namepros member in oval office!

Last edited:
•••
No - I work as a Janitor taking care of the lawn and flower beds.

•••
You lowered your guard, @johnn, there is a mallard walking among the flowers.

•••
The mallard belongs to the Secret Services and not in my department.

•••

Great Sir, The last line is very encouraging. If someone gets a mail like this many wouldn't know how to deal with this. Thanks for the insight.
Your website Wesellname is too good. How did you design it. Its Clean and Simple.

•••
Back