IT.COM

I've finally made it!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Today I check my yahoo address and I find I have a letter from lawyers A_r_e_n_t_F_o_x (great name) to transfer a 'trademarked' domain name to its trademark owner. This is my first such letter, so I feel rather special today!

The name F*rstCho*ceHotel.Info apparently uses a Cho*ce Hotels registered service mark. I didn't even know about Cho*ce Hotels when I registered the domain. Looking at their website, they are a major international hotel company and not somebody I want to mess with.

The domain name was a free info and I don't have any big plans for it so I'm happy to let it go. If I had paid good money or had big plans, I probably would consult a lawyer, particularly as "First Cho*ce" is a generic expression.

*= i

I'm currently looking at the picture and bio of the lawyer who sent me the letter, on the lawyer firm's website - isn't the web great?

I'm about to transfer the domain, but before I do, I would welcome people's thoughts on the matter.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well, seems fairly generic to me. What I would suggest first off is offering it to them for $200, but do not at all push the matter, if they say that thats no go, then don't hesitate, just transfer. They will much rather pay $200 than take you to court.

•••
Arent Fox also represents AOL and recently sent one for the trademark
instant messenger.

Your domain appears to be using sedo and giving links to their competitors.
Not good, although the domain is arguably generic.

Edit: I just found this recent UDRP. Reading it should give you an idea:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2004/d2004-1023.html

Last edited:
•••
Thank you Zeeble and Dave for your thoughts.

Since
a) I have so many other domains to develop before I get around to developing this one and
b) I probably would let it drop anyway
It is no big deal to transfer it to them.

I would not ask money for it as I don't want to get into a mess for a domain I got for free and don't value highly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back