Is namesilo frontrunning

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

robert widener

Established Member
Impact
just so you all know .... namesilo is frontrunning , checked a domain yesterday & today i went to get it & it's gone ...... guess who owns it NAMESILO . so dont be checking any domains at namesilo because if you dont buy it right then it may be gone the next day . does president michael goldfarb have an account here ? ...would he like to respond ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
just called namesilo & left a message . gave them my name & number / e-mail to give to president michael goldfarb to contact me .

•••
Hmm never happened to me any of these years at NS.

•••
just so you all know .... namesilo is frontrunning , checked a domain yesterday & today i went to get it & it's gone ...... guess who owns it NAMESILO . so dont be checking any domains at namesilo because if you dont buy it right then it may be gone the next day . does president michael goldfarb have an account here ? ...would he like to respond ?

can you post the WHOIS info?

•••
Big accusation, big world, could it be under privacy?

Name the name so people can verify

•••
happens on other registers too. not sure if its a register or just a program watching what people search for and then gets registered in hopes to sell it to you.

•••
Last edited:
•••
never happened it on Namesilo for 3 years. maybe the coincidence?

•••

I think it's just a coincidence. Namesilo is a great registrar, it's hard to imaging that they would do such things. Moreover, all good names were registered long time ago, so it does not make any sense to track which names get checked.

•••
Better safe than sorry. Don't put a name out there into the world until you are ready.
There are a million points at which observation might have occurred or not but you can be more sure if you follow my advice above.

•••
•••
Hello,

To be perfectly blunt, this accusation is an outright lie. We have never, would never and will never engage in front-running. We do not even log domain searches. We have been active on NamePros for quite some time, and I would venture to guess not even one other person has ever had this happen. We do not appreciate having our name tarnished with accusations such as this on a public forum. The OP cannot offer any proof as it is not possible to prove something that has not happened.

•••

What was the domain name

•••
He is thinking that he is alone in this domaining world, many time it's happened if you have your eyes on a name and you just run out of luck then someone will register it.

Namesilo has free privacy enabled on every domain and that is the main reason of him believing namesilo is front-running, which is total lie in my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
Sound like a classic case of "I had the shot Tony and I blew it"
still...
Nobody can ensure 100% that their search data will not be observed by those with bad intentions. Personally I think it happens more than registrars want to imagine but magnitudes much less than users think.

How much is that exactly? Well we may never known for sure but you can be 100% sure you did not contribute to any leak by simply remembering that if you are going to play, play with your cards close to your chest and leave the searching for when you are ready to make the purchase.

Personally I think it is not probable that this claim is accurate but it doesn't mean that something similar is impossible or that it never happens. Despite the reality or non-reality of this particular case we should remember to practice safer reg.

•••
Sound like a classic case of "I had the shot Tony and I blew it"
still...
Nobody can ensure 100% that their search data will not be observed by those with bad intentions. Personally I think it happens more than registrars want to imagine but magnitudes much less than users think.

How much is that exactly? Well we may never known for sure but you can be 100% sure you did not contribute to any leak by simply remembering that if you are going to play, play with your cards close to your chest and leave the searching for when you are ready to make the purchase.

Personally I think it is not probable that this claim is accurate but it doesn't mean that something similar is impossible or that it never happens. Despite the reality or non-reality of this particular case we should remember to practice safer reg.

Hello. Thanks for your post, and I'll provide a little insight into how searches work (at least with our company). Searches on our site go directly to the registries over EPP in a very secure transmission. The results are returned in the same method and displayed on our site as such. There is nowhere in that process in which an "outsider" could see what was being searched for. As noted above, we also do not even log domain searches. Therefore, what the OP has reported, at least in the case of our registrar, can be nothing more than a coincidence or, less likely, some type of vulnerability in their system/browser/network.

We understand it is frustrating when things like this happen. We have always tried to provide a service free of harmful activity such as this so that our brand can be trusted. It is unfortunate that other registrars have engaged in tactics like front-running since it opens our entire industry to speculation that it happens everywhere.

•••
@robert widener - At least post the domain to provide some kind of evidence that the domain was hand regged by namesilo today.
r.png

Why do you keep checking the thread without providing any evidence to back up your serious frontrunning accusations?

Personally I've never experienced anything resembling frontrunning at NameSilo.

•••
Proof or thread should be deleted imo

•••
There is nowhere in that process in which an "outsider" could see what was being searched for

Who said it has to be and "Outsider" this speaks to what I meant by "more than registrars want to imagine"

I still I agree it is much more likely
some type of vulnerability in their system/browser/network

I hope all the hoopla doesn't derail from my primary point: Play it safe pros. Practice safe reg.

•••
Hello,

To be perfectly blunt, this accusation is an outright lie. We have never, would never and will never engage in front-running. We do not even log domain searches. We have been active on NamePros for quite some time, and I would venture to guess not even one other person has ever had this happen. We do not appreciate having our name tarnished with accusations such as this on a public forum. The OP cannot offer any proof as it is not possible to prove something that has not happened.
I do not think he has proof to back up his claims.

BTW, has the $6.99 and $5.99 domain promo ended? I tried to buy a domain name at namesilo today and I am seeing $8.99 why?

•••
I do not think he has proof to back up his claims.

BTW, has the $6.99 and $5.99 domain promo ended? I tried to buy a domain name at namesilo today and I am seeing $8.99 why?

Yeah, sorry, the promo ended yesterday :(

We will likely have some more com/net registration promos early in 2018.

•••
A registrar receives likely tenths of thousands of domain availability requests per day.

What makes that specific request (domain name) so special that it can be separated from the others and be registered before OP had a chance to do so ?

I find it is technically not feasible.

•••
When a domain you want is available best thing to do is hand-reg it! Namesilo doesn't seem to front-running but there may be a leak that shows what domains are searched for to anyone watching.

•••
Hello,

lol , of course you don't do it ..... godaddy doesn't do it , you don't do it , (name of registry) doesn't do it .....NOBODY DOES IT ? yet we all know it's going on , anybody remember the fan duel / draftkings scandal where employees had inside information & was winning contests & some of them walked away with hundreds of thousands of dollars before being busted ? . wether it's the registries holding back ( as in DOMAIN TASTING ) or an employee regging or the selling of domain searches or a leak somewhere that 's being seen in" real time " something is going on , their's alot of money involved when it comes to domains ....let's be honest , no matter how much the registries scream at the top of their lungs " WE DON'T FRONTRUN DOMAINS " while trying not to laugh we all have to wonder if their telling us the truth . & can namesilo or any other registry tell us why when someone complains about a domain that they searched for is suddenly gone ...WHY IS IT ALWAYS regged at the registry where the individual looked the domain up at ? I KNOW ... I KNOW ...IT'S A COINCIDENCE , funny how it's never regged at some other registry . something for everyone to think about . i think namescost said it best "practice safe regging "

•••
lol , of course you don't do it ..... godaddy doesn't do it , you don't do it , (name of registry) doesn't do it .....NOBODY DOES IT ? yet we all know it's going on , anybody remember the fan duel / draftkings scandal where employees had inside information & was winning contests & some of them walked away with hundreds of thousands of dollars before being busted ? . wether it's the registries holding back ( as in DOMAIN TASTING ) or an employee regging or the selling of domain searches or a leak somewhere that 's being seen in" real time " something is going on , their's alot of money involved when it comes to domains ....let's be honest , no matter how much the registries scream at the top of their lungs " WE DON'T FRONTRUN DOMAINS " while trying not to laugh we all have to wonder if their telling us the truth . & can namesilo or any other registry tell us why when someone complains about a domain that they searched for is suddenly gone ...WHY IS IT ALWAYS regged at the registry where the individual looked the domain up at ? I KNOW ... I KNOW ...IT'S A COINCIDENCE , funny how it's never regged at some other registry . something for everyone to think about . i think namescost said it best "practice safe regging "

The thread starter never came back to update thread. Never mentioned the name so others can take a look.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back