Dynadot

Introduction + Journey Part II + Advice Needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Scot Thomas

Established Member
Impact
Ok, so if y'all and the mods don't mind, I'm moving the next part to yesterday's post here so that more interested people might find it (I'm not sure how many users regularly check the “Introductions” part of forums; I know that I don't)

In case you didn't see it, here's yesterday's post about how I'm starting my rookie season:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/introduction-journey-part-i.1060405/

So let's keep going by tackling things in order:

1 goals

2 strategy

3 so far

4 what I'm missing

Goals

To turn domain investing into a full-time income and activity. I am shooting for a year, but I have another business, so I won't find myself out on the street if my cute brandable names don't go flying off the shelves. LOL

Strategy

I would have preferred investing in high-quality two-word domains relevant to businesses, and focusing on inbound and outbound marketing, which I enjoy. But...

I can't tell which domains are “top quality” and which aren't yet....not having sold any.

So to build up a “war chest” and learn what has market value, I have to focus on quick flips.

What I Have Done So Far

• Read. A LOT. Forums, blogs, interviews. All the usual domain-related go tos, but just as much general entrepreneur and business hacking stuff – Mark Ostrofsky, Richard Branson etc. “Tutto fà brodo” you would say in Italian - “A little of everything makes for a good broth”.

• Registered. Lots of tools for finding, searching, naming, valuating, selling domains.

• Developed. As I wrote yesterday, I put up a small portfolio site on Efty, complete with logos for all domains, custom landing pages, and even registered the social names at youtube, flickr, FB and Instagram for the 1-word T domain and the .io domain (I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the end user, at least for the 2 names that are really worth hanging on to... ;)

• Listed. Still completing the process of listing with Afternic, Godaddy, Uniregistry and Sedo. I have a headache from trying to understand the differences that I need to take into account between the various commissions, listing options, promotion levels etc.

What I Need Help With

• ideas how to best turn over these first little names

• marketing brandables

• finding a casual mentor. I would gladly share the $ on the first sales in exchange for advice on pricing, generating traffic, auctions, doing paid promos, outbound marketing etc

Please take a look at my small portfolio site (Eftymarket.zonebrokers.com) and if you have something that could be useful to me or anyone else here, please say it. I'm more interested in getting one good idea that leads to a sale than I am in getting 100 “likes” or “looks good”.....Just sayin'.

And if you are interested in a casual email/phone mentorship, PM me with details.

Ok, that's it for today. Thanks for your attention, and happy naming!

Scot

ps your antivirus software may warn you about my Efty market, but that's because it's on an add-on domain with a 301 redirect for a few days

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Scot-
Your site loaded for me no problem. Looks like you're doing everything right so far ... and not a bad collection of names to start with - I've seen a lot worse! It looks like these were all newly registered? So now it just takes time. Few get lucky by getting an immediate sale. Most take years with good names. You have to think like a business owner and ask why would this name be good for the online presence for my business? If there are similar names available to register for $10, why would someone want to buy one of yours for over $1,000? Good luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back