Dynadot

Images from tv show

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was thinking about starting up a forum for discussion of a tv show... was wondering what kind of legal problems i could run into if i used images in header of the actors

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
can you get in trouble for using images of the show in your forum....such as the header, avatars, etc etc

•••
Each frame of a film or TV show is copyright, so in theory, you could get into trouble for using them. However, it's very rare that a TV show goes after a fan site (except for Paramount's Star Trek and Joss Whedon's Buffy). Most others just ignore it as good advertising, because suing is too expensive and it causes bad PR with their fans. The worst that generally happens in the case you describe is a cease and desist letter. There are other considerations as you may have difficulty with some PPC and affiliate providers because of the pictures.

•••
ok what if you use part of the name of the show in the name of the domain?

•••
About the same risk as the pictures, but then there is a TM issue, which means they can file for the domain name and get it. Again, it's unlikely. Even Joss Whedon didn't try to shut down the hundred of sites that had Buffy in their domain name, but again, one can't say for sure that they won't take action, just that it's rare. I would pick out some aspect of the show that is well known and use that as a domain name and have the name of the show in the text if it were up to me. The other option is to actually write to the producers and find out their feelings on it. Mostly they are interested that it is not derogatory to their franchise, like BuffySucks.com might get Joss Whedon in an uproar, but not BuffyWorld.com. So...

•••
yeah they might go after the domain name with their name but yeah if you post pictures of the show i dont think they would because there is nothing better than free adversting.

Spy

•••
Just a point of interest, the free advertising is a myth and no use of work should be considered as such. Only the original artist/author/whoever is allowed to say under the law what their work will be used for. Now granted, most are tolerant of the use of their pictures and consider it free advertising, but some consider it infringement. Paramount went around shutting down Star Trek sites at one point. Putting up pictures from a series or movie that are copyright is like buying a trademark domain. The company may never bother you, but there is always the chance they will. It's the risk you take. Just wanted to clarify the myth about free advertising.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back