NameSilo

I am supa noob and could sue some help..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mrandrew

Established Member
Impact
I have bought some crappy domains. I have searched the .com registry for everything under the sun. everything brandable taken? I think so, but could use some feedback. Is the only way to capitalize on .coms is by getting them on auction now? What would your advice be for a newbie with minimum of domains to buy.
I am afraid to show the domains I have because I think you will all laugh....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you all who have responded to me. Merry Christmas to those that celebrate, everyone else happy holidays!

•••
Welcome to namepros and Merry Christmas!

It is still possible to register some great brandable domains. However it requires skills and discipline.

The best way to start is to find undervalued domains at auctions that are less than $50.

A brandable domain is a name that can be used as a Brand Name. What do brands are looking to buy? One word, Two word or short made up word .com domains and in some cases Great one word .io .co .xyz.

Don't go for Two or Three Word Dot whatever. You will lose money unless you know what you are doing. I have sold Good News .co for $1,250 (Paid $40). At the moment I own maybe 2 or 3 two word in other extension than .com. I own 600+ names

The best thing you can do is read,watch and learn before you invest.

•••
Welcome to namepros and Merry Christmas!

It is still possible to register some great brandable domains. However it requires skills and discipline.

The best way to start is to find undervalued domains at auctions that are less than $50.

A brandable domain is a name that can be used as a Brand Name. What do brands are looking to buy? One word, Two word or short made up word .com domains and in some cases Great one word .io .co .xyz.

Don't go for Two or Three Word Dot whatever. You will lose money unless you know what you are doing. I have sold Good News .co for $1,250 (Paid $40). At the moment I own maybe 2 or 3 two word in other extension than .com. I own 600+ names

The best thing you can do is read,watch and learn before you invest.
Glad you mentioned a .co, I was wondering about them. I admit I got sucked in and bought some bad domains, I am using some restraint right but it is hard. I like your comment about getting one for 50 thats undervalued...

•••
Welcome to the Forums !
The best advise I might be able to give is...

1- Take Your Time. Most poor decisions are made quickly.

2- Understand what makes a name valuable. Just look at why some names sold well while others like it did not. Watch many domain actions without participating in them before you actually play in them.

3-Start by playing what you know best. You are more likely to do better if the niche is something you know about. So for starters anyway, work from your strengths and grow from there. It helps shorten the learning curve required. Think of it like investing in a stock. Your looking for a positive future. It helps to know something about it to make proper judgements.

4- Understand trademarks. You should read on trademark history to best explain it in brief reading.
The fundamentals of how and why it works are in the history.

5- Find the market in need, then look for a name to meet it. Not the other way around. A good sounding name is just that, a good sounding name. Does not mean someone will need it or want it.
You should be able to see potential buyers now or in the future before buying the name.

Most folks are lead into this trade from seeing high sales value numbers of simple domain names without understanding why they were so valuable. So if you can understand that, you will be much more than a noob. Many that have been doing it 3 years or more do not have a grip on it.
There is plenty of good and bad info in the forums. Most everyone means well so don't be afraid to get others opinions on what matters to you. Most are glad to help out.

The best of luck to you. But don't rely on Luck... ...LOL...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back