Dynadot

I am supa noob and could sue some help..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mrandrew

Established Member
Impact
I have bought some crappy domains. I have searched the .com registry for everything under the sun. everything brandable taken? I think so, but could use some feedback. Is the only way to capitalize on .coms is by getting them on auction now? What would your advice be for a newbie with minimum of domains to buy.
I am afraid to show the domains I have because I think you will all laugh....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My advice is to research first, reg after.
Besides, Check the forums and see what kind of startegy and domain niche fits you the most.

•••
My advice is to research first, reg after.
Besides, Check the forums and see what kind of startegy and domain niche fits you the most.
Thanks I have been researching. I look up what has sold, etc, and whats on auction. I follow domiansherpa too. Are .co a waste of money?

•••
There are many different business models in domaining. For me the most profitable sales I have made come from domains that I purchased, not through auctions, but reaching out directly to domain owners. I find a name that I like and then I contact the owner and offer them a fair amount of money. Again, there are lots of different business models in domaining, find one that works for you and do it.....Best of luck to you!

•••
Hey MrAndrew,

Firstly, welcome to namepros.

Secondly, I appreciate your honesty.

Finally, we all have purchased crappy domains in the begining. I havent seen anyone laughing on anyone here. There are critics here, who have experience and knowledge, they teach us. Just listen to them and keep learning.

My best advice to you is, start selling on namepros. It will give you a fair rate idea and open you up. Jump in the pool.

Merry Christmas and Happy domaining!

•••
It will take some time to understand how it all works. It's a mix of what you buy and sell. Some may be handregs, some may be aftermarket purchases. The key is reading and research. Don't spend all your money at once. You will learn as you go.

•••
Ok one of my crappy domains is ratemybroker.org

•••
There are many different business models in domaining. For me the most profitable sales I have made come from domains that I purchased, not through auctions, but reaching out directly to domain owners. I find a name that I like and then I contact the owner and offer them a fair amount of money. Again, there are lots of different business models in domaining, find one that works for you and do it.....Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your input. Is there any realistic way to find dropped domains and snipe them?

•••
Thanks for your input. Is there any realistic way to find dropped domains and snipe them?

not the ones that are popular, if you want to catch them yourself.

you can find dropping domains on expireddomains.net

•••
Good question. I wouldn't be the one to ask regarding dropped names as that is not my business model...Hopefully someone here can chime in on that question. EDIT: Question answered!

•••
I actually don't think that's a bad name at all Andrew. It sounds good for a site for users to rate their stock brokers.

•••
I actually don't think that's a bad name at all Andrew. It sounds good for a site for users to rate their stock brokers.
I don't know how to sell it. its on sedo right now for make an offer... but thats all. Any suggestions thanks...?

•••
I don't know how to sell it. its on sedo right now for make an offer... but thats all. Any suggestions thanks...?
List it on Afternic as well.

I think you would have a decent chance of selling it for $100 or $200 to the owners of the .com and .net, since they have a very nice site on both of those already.

If you developed it to rate stock brokers, it could be much more valuable, especially since the .com and .net are used for real estate agents only.

Last edited:
•••
change your title from the word "sue" to "use". From the title, it looks like you were asking for legal help at first... lol

•••
List it on Afternic as well.

I think you would have a decent chance of selling it for $100 or $200 to the owners of the .com and .net, since they have a very nice site on both of those already.

If you developed it to rate stock brokers, it could be much more valuable, especially since the .com and .net are used for real estate agents only.
Thanks for taking the time to give me advice. I don't have coding skills, and I know developers can charge $$$$. Your thoughts?

•••
change your title from the word "sue" to "use". From the title, it looks like you were asking for legal help at first... lol
Looking how uggg.

•••
•••
Warm welcome to NamePros and good luck with your domaining! :xf.grin:

.org's are a good investment, but a hard sell, unless they are one word or 3L's -4L's. They are better suited to development, rather than quick flips. From your photo, assuming that's you, seems like you still have time to acquire web development skills :xf.wink:

Yep, ExpiredDomains.net is a good place to start when looking to hand-reg some low hanging fruit, especially closely following the day's domain drop. But don't expect to find any real .com gems there, those are all caught by HugeDomains! O_o

Domaining can be an expensive hobby, collecting domain names, like. Or good business, if you know what you're doing. Like with any kind of entrepreneurship, that means having some working capital, finding your niche, having a good business plan and keeping costs low. Serious domaining is a numbers game. All other things being equal, the more you have, the more you'll sell. Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
Warm welcome to NamePros and good luck with your domaining! :xf.grin:

.org's are a good investment, but a hard sell, unless they are one word or 3L's -4L's. They are better suited to development, rather than quick flips. From your photo, assuming that's you, seems like you still have time to acquire web development skills :xf.wink:

Yep, ExpiredDomains.net is a good place to start when looking to hand-reg some low hanging fruit, especially closely following the day's domain drop. But don't expect to find any real .com gems there, those are all caught by HugeDomains! O_o

Domaining can be an expensive hobby, collecting domain names, like. Or good business, if you know what you're doing. Like with any kind of entrepreneurship, that means having some working capital, finding your niche, having a good business plan and keeping costs low. Serious domaining is a numbers game. All other things being equal, the more you have, the more you'll sell. Good luck!
Thank you for your input. No, that is not me in the pic, hehe. It's from a movie called Better of Dead, a comedy. What domain have you sold that you're proud of?

•••
...What domain have you sold that you're proud of?
Not really sure I understand your question...? (n)

Not "proud of" any domains, nor can I boast of any impressive sales as that's not my kettle of fish. That's my partner's job, who'd sold about a hundred, ranging from low $xxx to high $xxxx over a period of about 8 years. By NP standards, nothing much to be "proud of" really, but it did pay a few bills :xf.wink:

The real trick here is to make this a reasonably regular occurence. Say, 5 high $xxx to low $xxxx sales every month. To start with. That's what we're working on now...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Two tips that I wished I would have followed:

1. Learn before you spend! Study everything you can before you start buying domains. Namebio, Elliot Silver and Morgan Linton are good resources as well as all of the archived DomainSherpa and Domain Wire episodes are rich with great information.
2. If you have a $1000 to invest - buy one good .com instead of 100+ .net, .info. or .org domains.

Good luck and welcome to Namepros.

•••
Hello and welcome!!
My advice to you if you are new to domaining is, don't go all crazy buying .net .org .us dot this, dot that.

My opinion, dot com is king and will always be king.

Ask yourself, What's my budget?
If your budget is in the low $xx per domain, then concentrate on 5Letter.com Brandables or 6Letters.com Brandables.
Again, is all about keeping your investment safe.
Keep in mind that on this side of the world, shorter is better.

If your budget is in the mid $xxx, then invest in a good pronounceable 4Letter.com.
Lastly, understand that domaining can have its ups and downs.
Have patience and do your due diligence before you buy or sell.
Always read and understand what's trending.

Regards,
Jaime

Last edited:
•••
...If you have a $1000 to invest - buy one good .com instead of 100+ .net, .info. or .org domains.
...or hand-reg 500+ good .COM's in promotion! :xf.grin:
OK. Half joking. Hand-regs are a slippery slope. Especially for those starting out. But once you do know what you're doing, you can find some very tasty low hanging fruit, as Maggie called it.

Last edited:
•••
It's not that crappy if you intend to use it.
If you want to resell it, then do you really expect that somebody will reach to you to buy this name in particular ?
Unlikely. Who needs to rate their broker ? And what kind of broker are we talking about ? Real estate or something else ? The business model is not obvious but maybe you had an idea in mind.

Bottom line: not many people are willing to buy a domain name on the aftermarket. They will almost always try to find some available domain 'good enough' for $10. What would you do if you were in their shoes ? Buy your own name or try something else ?
If you want to make sales, you need good names. Names that other people would want. Badly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back