IT.COM

question Hugedomains, what is their criteria?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

King

Investor & CreatorTop Member
Impact
I placed backorders for very niche upcoming drops on a couple of discount/reg fee platforms. Rumor around town is that Hugedomains scopes domains with backorders on them so I am afraid if I place a discount order on these, Hugedomains will go after them as they have a few of these names already. I lost a few I backordered on other platforms to dropcatch/hugedomains.

According to Dropcatch

Backorder information will not be shared with any other users of the platform or any of our affiliates.

Can we trust them on this? Does Hugedomains have people picking the fruit or is it all automated? what is the criteria? The past ones they took were aged so I am guessing that is a thing for them. I wonder since some of these were registered a long time ago then dropped, registered for a year, and are dropping again, would they jump on them as well. The domains also had estibot evaluations, the ones that didn't get passed it seems. Guess there's only one way to find out. Will update soon.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hugedomains primarily buys up expiring names to sell back to former owners and resell dropped names. They are a small operation and they've been around a lot of years.

•••
A name base of over 7 million and hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue hardly counts as a small operation. Can you substantiate the allegation that they mainly buy in order to resell to hapless former owners?
Hugedomains primarily buys up expiring names to sell back to former owners and resell dropped names. They are a small operation and they've been around a lot of years.

•••
A name base of over 7 million and hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue hardly counts as a small operation. Can you substantiate the allegation that they mainly buy in order to resell to hapless former owners?
Isn't HugeDomains a brokerage firm, owned by NameBright?

•••
I'd say their criteria is pretty standard $2000+ GD appraisal, 3-4+ registered extensions, good keywords, etc.

They have picked up several of my drops over the years.

•••
I'd say their criteria is pretty standard $2000+ GD appraisal, 3-4+ registered extensions, good keywords, etc.

They have picked up several of my drops over the years.
Hmmm, that doesn't seem right, the domains they won are under 1K gocrappy evaluation and not registered in other extensions, like I said, these are very niche.

They just sniped another from me in today's drop and I did not even backorder on dropcatch.

Last edited:
•••
Hmmm, that doesn't seem right, the domains they won are under 1K gocrappy evaluation and not registered in other extensions, like I said, these are very niche.

They just sniped another from me in today's drop and I did not even backorder on dropcatch.

It probably had good keywords or extensions then. Their criteria isn't super strict, pretty much anything decent that goes to auction and getting bids they will bid it up I've seen.

•••
If you are going to use discount drops. They specifically state on DropCatch that their partner site (Huge Domains) can take any name they acquire in the drops, that don't have a full priced backorder on it. So its life you just have to deal with it. You win some you lose some.

For names I really want to win, but don't want to pay full price drop for I use discount drops. But now days I tend to only get maybe 25% very rarely more. If domain has GD Value of 2K and up you are not going to get it without a full priced BackOrder, and even then likely to go to auction. Once they are at DropCatch auction I generally don't try to get them as they go way too high. I generally put a matching BackOrder in at SnapNames also at their minimum price of $79. Lately they have been getting quite a few of the names I have orders for, but almost always head off to auction. But the advantage of their auctions they are only open to the people who put an original backorder bid on the name. Sometimes better chance to get name at a reasonable price. The draw back to SnapNames. NETWORK SOLUTIONS or the LOTTERY of where your name will end up. Your name can end up at any of 100's of small registrars. Many let NET SOL manage the names but some end up at places like BigRock. My advice wherever it goes at 60 days get auth code and transfer to a registrar that cares about you and that you trust. Yeah its a few more bucks, but less headaches than dealing with the NET SOL dance once a deal is done trying to get your auth code and transfer name before buyer walks away.

For names you could take or leave, basically inventory names. I use SAV, $8.69 backorders, just know a $10 discount drop on DropCatch will beat SAV 100% of the time. But I do it this way because SAV has a couple benefits NameBright doesn't. They are a SEDO MLS Partner and an Afternic Fast Transfer Partner. Namebright is neither, since tier 3-4 names need all the eyeballs possible to sell, I find this a better approach for me. Finally they have domain privacy. Every time, I win a name on DropCatch and pay, minutes later here comes the spam calls. They go on for weeks to months.

Huge Domains also plays in Godaddy Auctions. Ever wait till about 5 minutes and 5 seconds left on a name with 0 bids at a $12 starting bid and bid on it and next thing you know it goes to over $100 bucks. Not always but normally that is them. Not sure how they do it but my guess is a person bidding triggers an AI control API response to bid name up. They use to go after a name generally bidding them up 20-30% GD Valuation. Just the simple act of a bid showed interest in name and they pounce it.

•••
If you are going to use discount drops. They specifically state on DropCatch that their partner site (Huge Domains) can take any name they acquire in the drops, that don't have a full priced backorder on it. So its life you just have to deal with it. You win some you lose some.

For names I really want to win, but don't want to pay full price drop for I use discount drops. But now days I tend to only get maybe 25% very rarely more. If domain has GD Value of 2K and up you are not going to get it without a full priced BackOrder, and even then likely to go to auction. Once they are at DropCatch auction I generally don't try to get them as they go way too high. I generally put a matching BackOrder in at SnapNames also at their minimum price of $79. Lately they have been getting quite a few of the names I have orders for, but almost always head off to auction. But the advantage of their auctions they are only open to the people who put an original backorder bid on the name. Sometimes better chance to get name at a reasonable price. The draw back to SnapNames. NETWORK SOLUTIONS or the LOTTERY of where your name will end up. Your name can end up at any of 100's of small registrars. Many let NET SOL manage the names but some end up at places like BigRock. My advice wherever it goes at 60 days get auth code and transfer to a registrar that cares about you and that you trust. Yeah its a few more bucks, but less headaches than dealing with the NET SOL dance once a deal is done trying to get your auth code and transfer name before buyer walks away.

For names you could take or leave, basically inventory names. I use SAV, $8.69 backorders, just know a $10 discount drop on DropCatch will beat SAV 100% of the time. But I do it this way because SAV has a couple benefits NameBright doesn't. They are a SEDO MLS Partner and an Afternic Fast Transfer Partner. Namebright is neither, since tier 3-4 names need all the eyeballs possible to sell, I find this a better approach for me. Finally they have domain privacy. Every time, I win a name on DropCatch and pay, minutes later here comes the spam calls. They go on for weeks to months.

Huge Domains also plays in Godaddy Auctions. Ever wait till about 5 minutes and 5 seconds left on a name with 0 bids at a $12 starting bid and bid on it and next thing you know it goes to over $100 bucks. Not always but normally that is them. Not sure how they do it but my guess is a person bidding triggers an AI control API response to bid name up. They use to go after a name generally bidding them up 20-30% GD Valuation. Just the simple act of a bid showed interest in name and they pounce it.

This past week: Epik caught one for me, I lost one to someone using Snapnames, I lost another to Dropcatch/Hugedomains.

Sav didn't stand a chance these rounds, weird because all of my previous successful catches were by Sav.

I guess I need to start paying more attention to SnapNames, but if only their UI worked and wasn't so prehistoric, it says my account was created but on login, it doesn't exist?

•••
This past week: Epik caught one for me, I lost one to someone using Snapnames, I lost another to Dropcatch/Hugedomains.

Sav didn't stand a chance these rounds, weird because all of my previous successful catches were by Sav.

I guess I need to start paying more attention to SnapNames, but if only their UI worked and wasn't so prehistoric, it says my account was created but on login, it doesn't exist?

SnapNames/NameJet - while different are same basically both are Web.com companies just like NetworkSolutions and Register.com are basically the same.

NameJet, however does something different and shows number of BackOrder bids that have been made. If you want a name and see on NameJet it has back orders. You will need to do a full price back order, via NJ, SN or DC to have a chance.

I would put Epik on par with SAV for what they catch, “just make sure you get NamePros pricing on your account so back orders are at reg prices.” What I don’t like about BO at Epik, you have to prepay, then get credit if they don’t catch name. Lastly they are not an Afternic fast transfer partner, but they are a Sedo MLS Partner.

•••
SnapNames/NameJet - while different are same basically both are Web.com companies just like NetworkSolutions and Register.com are basically the same.

NameJet, however does something different and shows number of BackOrder bids that have been made. If you want a name and see on NameJet it has back orders. You will need to do a full price back order, via NJ, SN or DC to have a chance.

I would put Epik on par with SAV for what they catch, “just make sure you get NamePros pricing on your account so back orders are at reg prices.” What I don’t like about BO at Epik, you have to prepay, then get credit if they don’t catch name. Lastly they are not an Afternic fast transfer partner, but they are a Sedo MLS Partner.

Yes I noticed that, one of the names I wanted to pick up has a pre-release bid on NJ, after reviewing SN FAQ it looks like it's the same inventory and I could bid against someone on NJ from SN, will have to give it a try as the domain it is not dropping, no drop catch option for this one.

•••
Yes I noticed that, one of the names I wanted to pick up has a pre-release bid on NJ, after reviewing SN FAQ it looks like it's the same inventory and I could bid against someone on NJ from SN, will have to give it a try as the domain it is not dropping, no drop catch option for this one.
NVM. I have no idea why they just banned me from both platforms after placing a bid on an auction that hasn't even started yet. Support is ignoring me. Big middle finger to the overpriced scum that is Web.com Group, Inc. competing for pinhead to pinhead on being the flaming trash of the domain industry with GoDaddy Inc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back