IT.COM

question Caught by DropCatch, NameBright name servers, listed in HugeDomains!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohammad

Established Member
Impact
I just wanted to register a domain called NovinNet.com, but it cought by DropCatch and the owner set NameBright name servers for the domain and it listed in HugeDomains. WTF?

1. Who's the real owner of this domain? DropCatch? Name Bright? HugeDomains?

2. NameBright and HugeDomains are same company or have relation between eachother?

3. When I should backorder the domain exactly? Which site you offer for backordering?

4. If I backorder the domain, I can own the domain 100%? If no, may I get my money back?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Could anyone help about the question 3 and 4?

•••
DropCatch.com, NameBright.com and HugeDomains.com are the same owner. So you didn't place a backorder BEFORE it dropped? If not, it's probably too late and the owner grabbed it for himself.

•••
Thanks @alanchau.

3. When I should backorder the domain exactly? Which site you offer for backordering?

4. If I backorder the domain, I can own the domain 100%? If no, may I get my money back?

•••
looks like it will cost you $2395..

•••
@Dark Knight
3) You should backorder a domain at the last possible minute to avoid others seeing it and throwing in a bid as well. COM/NET domains usually drop between 1-2:30PM CST...so, most backorder companies cut off the bid 10-15 minutes before. If you're planning to backorder a COM/NET domain you should consider placing your backorder around 12:45-12:50PM CST.
4) It depends if you're the only bidder or not..It also depends if they actually catch the domain or not. If you're the only bidder and they successfully catch the name then it will be yours. If there are multiple bidders and they are successful in catching it then it will go into private auction where only those who placed a backorder can bid on it. The highest bidder will win the domain. Some places will only charge you when you are the winner. Other places will make you prepay and if they're not successful it will just be an account credit for future backorders. Some of those will offer refunds of that money, and others will only keep it as account credit.

•••
@Dark Knight
3) You should backorder a domain at the last possible minute to avoid others seeing it and throwing in a bid as well. COM/NET domains usually drop between 1-2:30PM CST...so, most backorder companies cut off the bid 10-15 minutes before. If you're planning to backorder a COM/NET domain you should consider placing your backorder around 12:45-12:50PM CST.
4) It depends if you're the only bidder or not..It also depends if they actually catch the domain or not. If you're the only bidder and they successfully catch the name then it will be yours. If there are multiple bidders and they are successful in catching it then it will go into private auction where only those who placed a backorder can bid on it. The highest bidder will win the domain. Some places will only charge you when you are the winner. Other places will make you prepay and if they're not successful it will just be an account credit for future backorders. Some of those will offer refunds of that money, and others will only keep it as account credit.
Thank you mate. Which website you offer for backorder?

•••
Keep an eye on the domain.
Sometimes NB drops some of they names they caught

•••
•••
Yeah, I got a few dropped domains from NameBright.

If it's a domain you REAALLLLLLYYY want then your best bet is to submit via DropCatch.com, SnapNames, and NameJet. One of them will catch it. If it's a domain you don't think there will be as much competition on you can use Pheenix or DynaDot. Remember, you can backorder as many places as you would like. It just depends how badly you want the domain, and how much other competition you think there will be for it.

•••
If it's a domain you REAALLLLLLYYY want then your best bet is to submit via DropCatch.com, SnapNames, and NameJet. One of them will catch it. If it's a domain you don't think there will be as much competition on you can use Pheenix or DynaDot. Remember, you can backorder as many places as you would like. It just depends how badly you want the domain, and how much other competition you think there will be for it.
Is it possible to use 2-3 websites for backordering the domain? If it's possible/allowed, so success rate is will be high.

•••
Is it possible to use 2-3 websites for backordering the domain? If it's possible/allowed, so success rate is will be high.

Yes - You can submit to as many places you want. You will only end up paying the one who was successful. To increase your odds it's recommended you submit into as many as possible if you really want the domain.

•••
1 & 2. HugeDomains, which is owned by TurnCommerce. They say that the three sites are different entities, but it's obvious they're all under the same parent company. Andrew Reberry seems to be involved, but I've talked to other people there who were obviously not him.

3. Day-of, as close to cut-offs as you can. I don't have specific suggestions; I primarily use DropCatch, but a lot of people have a problem with the public auctions. It's a matter of practicality for me: if I don't backorder it with them, then HugeDomains could get it and I have to decide whether to pay THAT instead of whatever the auction price would be. And with ~450 registrars, they've got a good chance at getting it.

4. Backordering isn't a guarantee, at all, and most companies will either wait until after they catch to charge you, but AFAIK all the ones that make you pay up front will return most (if not all) of your backorder fee if they fail. Just keep an eye out on whether or not they say they refund it (real money) or credit you (usually proprietary credit on the site).

•••
I don't know why I never considered that strategy. With the number of new Registrars they have, thev can probably beat SnapNames/NameJet most of the time, these days. I was probably blinded by the fact that I hate their open auctions.

•••
Yeah, I got a few dropped domains from NameBright.

Are you saying you get the domains when they dropped them the following year, or do they drop them sooner? If so, do the domains go back through the drop cycle?

•••
Yeah. That's what he means. He catches domains that NameBright eventually drops. Which just goes to show they are not perfect at their selection process, but they are good enough :)

•••

Great info share, thanks

•••
your best bet is to submit via DropCatch.com, SnapNames, and NameJet.

Keep in mind when you do this, other domainers ( with deep pockets) will also get more interested.

If it is caught by DropCatch, hungry end-users can, and do, also jump in. I see names that would usually be hand regged, go for 4 figures.

I accidentally bid on on a super ugly misspelled french word .com , but thankfully other domainers must have seen my interest in it, and outbid me. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Sorry for resurrecting old thread.
I backorederd a domain in namejet & snapnames and they are catched by dropcatch / namebright :D

Last edited:
•••
I backorederd a domain in namejet & snapnames and they are catched by dropcatch / namebright :D
DropCatch/NameBright is nightmare of domainers...

•••

Nothing new about that. DropCatch/NameBright probably capture 60%+ of all caught dropping domains.

•••
Nothing new about that. DropCatch/NameBright probably capture 60%+ of all caught dropping domains.
I was surprised, i thought NJ & SN are the big players here.

•••
You should be ordering from all three if you really want a domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back