Domain Empire

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If they are using blogspot then normally they will be poor. Perhaps students. If they haf cash they would probably buy a domain name. But then again they could just be non techy and not know how to build their own site. If this is the case you could sell the domain and install worpress for them and even sell them webhosting.. That could work for non technical bloggers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

•••
this is what I do. Im doing some research on google for bloggers who are still using blogspot or wordpress extension. So I register the domain same as theirs with GoDaddy. And hope one day they will contact me. do you think this way looks better? sorry for my english :)

That doesn't sound like a very smart or successful business plan to me.:imho:

•••
That doesn't sound like a very smart or successful business plan to me.:imho:

haha..ok, i will change my plan. Could you share with me, some of your strategies? sorry i am new in this field ;)

•••
haha..ok, i will change my plan. Could you share with me, some of your strategies? sorry i am new in this field ;)

The 95 previous pages of this thread spell it all out!

•••

Hey syedazhar,

Read every single post in this thread and if you don't at least learn one thing you didn't know before, something is wrong with you :)

I've read it probably 2 or 3 times back to front and even sometimes just go to random pages and read the posts.

This should be a book on how to find and sell to endusers it's so good. The first day I joined this forum is when I bought my first domain and I've been selling much more now adays after reading and applying the tactics shown in this thread. Good luck .

•••
•••
If I don't hear back from them, then I don't email them again.

If they email back and are interested, I email them a few more times, if I don't hear any responses.
Stoogie, Newbie here..This is what confuses me. If I handregged a domain and it's less than 2 months, it can't be transferred? I ASSUME I can ONLY auction at the site I HRegged at? Any recommendations?

•••
you can also find out this domain on another way !

•••
Stoogie, Newbie here..This is what confuses me. If I handregged a domain and it's less than 2 months, it can't be transferred? I ASSUME I can ONLY auction at the site I HRegged at? Any recommendations?

Hi there! Fellow newbie here!

I think it depends on the registrar's policy. GoDaddy requires 60 days before the domain can be transferred-out to another domain registrar (Removing this 60-day lock was in the news earlier -- http://www.dotweekly.com/godaddy-still-blocking-with-60-day-transfer-lock/). Within the 60 days, you can still transfer the domain to GoDaddy itself. This applies for GoDaddy only though (and maybe others, but I don't know exactly).

Hope this helps,
gct

•••
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

I usually advertise the domain in forum threads. This way I get directly to end user.
However I did not sell to many domains like this ... and this is not the way I make money. I have some domains that advertised and sold.

If I were to go big with this I would consider sedo and other specialized domain site sellers.

•••
1. GOOGLE the exact keywords (ex. "Affiliate Marketers" if you're looking to sell AffiliateMarketers.com)

2. Open up the best-fitting results (sites that have your keywords in their site's description/meta tags and/or similar domain)

3. Locate the contact details and send a short email. Do not state benefits and do not put an asking price. Subject line must read: Affiliate Marketers (based on above ex.)

4. Repeat process 50 times for the same domain to generate at least 2-5 "how much" replies from interested companies. Sell to one of them.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the next domain and so forth...

•••
1. GOOGLE the exact keywords (ex. "Affiliate Marketers" if you're looking to sell AffiliateMarketers.com)

2. Open up the best-fitting results (sites that have your keywords in their site's description/meta tags and/or similar domain)

3. Locate the contact details and send a short email. Do not state benefits and do not put an asking price. Subject line must read: Affiliate Marketers (based on above ex.)

4. Repeat process 50 times for the same domain to generate at least 2-5 "how much" replies from interested companies. Sell to one of them.

It sounds so simple yet is very true. Thanks for all the advice you've given Federer. I'm making lots more sales now thanks to you.

Only thing I do different is I include a price for domains that are low to mid xxx. Most times I feel people don't want to bother with us thinking we're going to ask for a million dollars.

I've seen people on craigslist trying to sell shitty domains for 10,000,000 lol or trade for a ferrari:lol:.

•••

That's the secret sauce.
Read it, Do it, Live it.

Its very rare for someone to share their successful knowledge with others.
Thanks Federer :)

•••
Its very rare for someone to share their successful knowledge with others.
Thanks Federer :)

Unless, they are extremely secure and confident in what they're doing.

•••

Thanks for sharing your secret recipe, but I have a question for you.

Those that rank for "Affiliate Marketers" high on Google -- why would they buy another domain? They must be having a good domain name if they are ranking for the exact keyword. Why would they do SEO again for the new domain if they already have a domain ranked?

Hope the question is clear.

Thanks,
gct

•••
Thanks for sharing your secret recipe, but I have a question for you.

Those that rank for "Affiliate Marketers" high on Google -- why would they buy another domain? They must be having a good domain name if they are ranking for the exact keyword. Why would they do SEO again for the new domain if they already have a domain ranked?

Hope the question is clear.

Thanks,
gct

Extremely good question - in reality it doesn't always work out like that. So you're very right in thinking that way indeed.

•••
I cant decide what is better; to include benefits in first email or just to be very short without any benifits description.

I would definitely use short template if I would knew that potential end-user understand all benefits of owning good domain name. BUT, in that case I also have concerns; does he/she know that my name has more exact search than the name he already use, does he/she know that CPC for my name is higher than for his name, etc....

Also, if you find successful company which use somename.com and that company is making great profit, but the owner dont know how domains are important, he/she might not even bother to think about other domain as his/her current one already doing fine. If you explain the benefits in first name he/she might stop and start thinking about purchasing another domain.

I know that the most here will tell that short first email is better choice, BUT how you can be sure that potential end-user is aware that another domain might be a good choice for him/her without knowning the benefits.

I am from Europe, and I often offer domains to European companies and individuals, not just to U.S. based where people are more aware of importance of domain names. In my country many people even dont know what domain name is! And I live in developed country with very high percentage of Internet users.

•••
I cant decide what is better; to include benefits in first email or just to be very short without any benifits description.

I would definitely use short template if I would knew that potential end-user understand all benefits of owning good domain name. BUT, in that case I also have concerns; does he/she know that my name has more exact search than the name he already use, does he/she know that CPC for my name is higher than for his name, etc....

Also, if you find successful company which use somename.com and that company is making great profit, but the owner dont know how domains are important, he/she might not even bother to think about other domain as his/her current one already doing fine. If you explain the benefits in first name he/she might stop and start thinking about purchasing another domain.

I know that the most here will tell that short first email is better choice, BUT how you can be sure that potential end-user is aware that another domain might be a good choice for him/her without knowning the benefits.

I am from Europe, and I often offer domains to European companies and individuals, not just to U.S. based where people are more aware of importance of domain names. In my country many people even dont know what domain name is! And I live in developed country with very high percentage of Internet users.

I send out short emails first, asking if they're interested in purchasing soso.com and to contact me if they are interested.

Then on the second email I explain the benefits.

•••
I send out short emails first, asking if they're interested in purchasing soso.com and to contact me if they are interested.

Then on the second email I explain the benefits.

I read that many do the same, and think that I will start with short emails as my emails with benefits mentioned doesnt have much success.

But in my opinion, it should be better to mention benefits in case you reached someone who doesnt know much about domains but could be interested. But also, i totally agree that short email could be better choice as it is rare that reader would like to read long email from someone for who he/she might think is just a spammer.

•••
The sales pitch should be minimal in the initial contact. Because the first E-mail must be very short and to the point. Keep ammo for negotiations in step #2.

Just a bullet list with 5 items max should do. But you have to tailor your E-mail to the end user, the domain name and the circumstances. So the sales pitch will vary accordingly.

For example, if you contact the holder of mylovelybusiness.net and offer lovelybusiness.com it goes without saying that you are offering a domain that is shorter, more memorable, in a better extension, and it is obviously a nice opportunity for them to upgrade and rebrand themselves a little.
If they get 'it', they will instinctively understand the benefits as you're just putting some emphasis, if not their loss.

They should not worry about losing traffic either. They would just redirect their old domain name to the new, ditto with E-mail - be willing to assist them with this, don't just sell a domain but a service, added value to their business.

This is the sales pitch.

•••
The sales pitch should be minimal in the initial contact. Because the first E-mail must be very short and to the point. Keep ammo for negotiations in step #2.

Just a bullet list with 5 items max should do. But you have to tailor your E-mail to the end user, the domain name and the circumstances. So the sales pitch will vary accordingly.

For example, if you contact the holder of mylovelybusiness.net and offer lovelybusiness.com it goes without saying that you are offering a domain that is shorter, more memorable, in a better extension, and it is obviously a nice opportunity for them to upgrade and rebrand themselves a little.
If they get 'it', they will instinctively understand the benefits as you're just putting some emphasis, if not their loss.

They should not worry about losing traffic either. They would just redirect their old domain name to the new, ditto with E-mail - be willing to assist them with this, don't just sell a domain but a service, added value to their business.

This is the sales pitch.

I understand, but what if they dont "get it"?:]

I mean, you cant know if the potential end-user understand why your domain is better or would also do good for them.

When you are contacting them very ofter you dont know how well they understand domains. If you reach someone who understand the value of domains then you should definitely be short in your initial mail. BUT, very often you dont know how well does they understand domains and if including benefits will trigger them to think about purchase.

This is something what really bother me as I cant decide to start sending short initial emails from now on, although I notice here that many of you use short template.
But I am seriously thinking about changing my approach:|

•••
posted by Federer:

No matter how many years this thread goes on, this will always be the short version. While my approach is not exactly the same as yours, the bottom line on end user sales is that it's a grind, and those who will work it are those who will succeed at it.

posted by gcttirth:

A good point. Some companies just like to own relevant domains -- a fact I always check using the WHOIS to get an idea of how many domains a given prospect owns, and what kind of domains they are. I tailor my approach for a few different types of prospects:

1) Those who are spending on AdWords to rank for the term, but do not rank organically in the first couple of pages for the term. These are very good prospects, because they are spending money on an ogoing basis (note that simply having an exact match domain doesn't guarantee top rankings, but one study after another shows that it certainly helps in conjunction with good content and proper optimisation.)

2) Those who rank well for similar but lower-value terms, typically those which come up as "related searches" on the Google SERP page.

3) Companies and investors with large domain portfolios, especially those for whom a sample of their portfolio suggests that they prefer the kind of domain I am selling.

4) "lesser" TLD holders of the same phrase as my .com domain.

There are other types of prospects of course, but I tend to stick to these four, and each has its own particular approach. Trying to sell a .com domain to a prospect who already has a decent domain, ranks on the first page for the .com's keywords, and doesn't appear to own a bunch of similar domains, is likely a waste of time.

posted by mitok:
I understand, but what if they dont "get it"?

I mean, you cant know if the potential end-user understand why your domain is better or would also do good for them.

When you are contacting them very ofter you dont know how well they understand domains. If you reach someone who understand the value of domains then you should definitely be short in your initial mail. BUT, very often you dont know how well does they understand domains and if including benefits will trigger them to think about purchase.

You have got to qualify your leads somehow. If they aren't spending money on AdWords to rank for your domain's phrase, and do not appear to own multiple domains in their niche, then chances are you're going to spend a lot more time explaining yourself than you are selling your domains. You also run a much higher risk of buyer's remorse among unqualified prospects, which can lead to chargebacks and being maligned on the internet (which is great when another prospect does a search on you or your company's name, just great.)

Frank

•••

Short and sweet emails.
I always send out KISS emails.
Keep It Simple Stupid :)

•••
Change of strategy!!!!!

I wrote short template, similar to Joshua`s from fourteen page of this thread. I will start with it tomorrow:lala:

I collected around 100 email addresses of potential end-users. I am sitting few hours in front of my monitor:lol:
Will find about 50 more tomorrow, as there are so many connected websites, and will sell the domain during next few days:lol::sold:

The bad thing is that domain is .mobi, but keyword is great, with high exact search, and it is connected with mobile phones. Also, all websites which I plan to contact as potential end-users mentioning mobi on their pages.

Will report how successul this was.

I am not new in domaining and already sold many domains to end-users, but sent thousands of emails and receive offers or "how much" answers on probably 0.40%-0.50% of all emails sent. So I decided to change strategy and start sending short initial emails and to target them much better.

•••
Just an update, we closed out on the domain at $8500. It was Vanity dot net. Nothing to write home about but was about a $5000 profit for me and I was ready to get rid of it so it worked out good for both sides.

The .com owner lost udrp to the same people and the last I heard their going to federal court over it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back