Dynadot

How did you land your most recent sale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

acenames

Established Member
Impact
There are many ways to land a sale.

Forums, Flippa, an end user approaching you.

My last sale was someone contacting me through the who.is of one of my names, which led to a negotiation and eventually a sale.

How did you land your most recent sale?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
End-user contacted me via rep through Afternic

•••
Thru GoDaddy, of course!

•••
On here. For $25

I'm clearly playing with the big boys now :P

•••
very last sale was afternic BIN

•••
The past 30 days
sold 2 trough 4.cn, 3 trough cax.com and 5 direct sales.

•••
Almost every name I've sold was someone wanting the domain contacting me through whois.

•••
The buyer contacted me via email, I believe that he used whois. It was a co.uk domain

•••
Last three have been enduser approaching me by email with negotiations over a 6 month period; Godaddy Premium sale; me reaching out to end user by email

•••
Threats and intimidation.

I told my prospective buyer that if they don't follow through to the tune of minimum four figures, I'll shoot myself in the foot.

•••
The last name I sold was via Godaddy. For some reason the buyer paid them to handle the negotian instead of contacting me.

•••
To those who got an email inquiry, kindly share your experience with me.

When you first received the inquiry email, I believe you responded immediately. Did your buyer reply you immediately or it took a couple of days before he responded? Is it natural, in this case, that buyers respond immedately or same day, they receive your reply? Do they usual delay before replying?

I am asking because I got my very first inquiry on Monday to which I replied that I would sell only if the offer is very good and I asked how much he is willing to pay.

Till now, no reply from him. Do some inquiry look this way or have you experience this before?

Please share.

•••
To those who got an email inquiry, kindly share your experience with me.

When you first received the inquiry email, I believe you responded immediately. Did your buyer reply you immediately or it took a couple of days before he responded? Is it natural, in this case, that buyers respond immedately or same day, they receive your reply? Do they usual delay before replying?

I am asking because I got my very first inquiry on Monday to which I replied that I would sell only if the offer is very good and I asked how much he is willing to pay.

Till now, no reply from him. Do some inquiry look this way or have you experience this before?

Please share.

I would always judge it based on the way they inquire. If it's short and lacking detail like this one I got tuesday:

"Are you willing to sell me the domain "x" or what is your plan for the site?

Thanks,
X"

It's most likely just another domainer trying to scoop it for a little more than reg fee. On good names that you haven't owned long, the majority of offers will just be domainers IME.

I wouldn't reply saying something like "only if it's a good offer", but rather a short casual reply that put's the ball back in their court. Especially if it's something that you would be happy with a low xxx offer for a quick flip.

•••
Apologies to the OP if this had been a distraction but this may be a learning board for someone out there.

@listser, thanks for the reply.

It was a little bit detailed. I am still learning the ropes when it comes to domain selling psychology.

In his words, He introduced himself, gave his name and what his work entails--a brand manager for small and medium size business.

He then went on to give the reason why he was contacting me after looking up the ownership.

The last paragraph was that he is interested for the obvious reason that he think the name would make a great brand and that if there is possibility of me selling it to him, he would love to discuss this further.

Like you pointed out, you said you wouldn't have used "if his offer was very good" and I am sensing that line could have been the reason for his silence which he may have interpreted wrongly/differently from what I had in mind, possibly thinking I mean thousands of dollars. However, I would like let you in on the reason why used those words. I deliberately injected it to gauge/ascertain his level of seriousness as I didn't want anyone to fool with me. Above all, and after that, I did ask him how much he is willing to pay for the domain.

There was a case of a friend whom had an offer but after some back and forth talk, the supposed end user wanted an exchange of his domain. Imagine the whole time wasted beating around the bush.

I will contact him and create a more comfortable environment so that he would feel free to open up cos it seems that line you highlighted seem to be glitch in the whole system of things; he is probably thinking: "very good offer? Oh, I can't afford this" :) a butterfly in his stomach I guess.

I will wait till Tuesday before I contact him again.

•••
Apologies to the OP if this had been a distraction but this may be a learning board for someone out there.

@listser, thanks for the reply.

It was a little bit detailed. I am still learning the ropes when it comes to domain selling psychology.

In his words, He introduced himself, gave his name and what his work entails--a brand manager for small and medium size business.

He then went on to give the reason why he was contacting me after looking up the ownership.

The last paragraph was that he is interested for the obvious reason that he think the name would make a great brand and that if there is possibility of me selling it to him, he would love to discuss this further.

Like you pointed out, you said you wouldn't have used "if his offer was very good" and I am sensing that line could have been the reason for his silence which he may have interpreted wrongly/differently from what I had in mind, possibly thinking I mean thousands of dollars. However, I would like let you in on the reason why used those words. I deliberately injected it to gauge/ascertain his level of seriousness as I didn't want anyone to fool with me. Above all, and after that, I did ask him how much he is willing to pay for the domain.

There was a case of a friend whom had an offer but after some back and forth talk, the supposed end user wanted an exchange of his domain. Imagine the whole time wasted beating around the bush.

I will contact him and create a more comfortable environment so that he would feel free to open up cos it seems that line you highlighted seem to be glitch in the whole system of things; he is probably thinking: "very good offer? Oh, I can't afford this" :) a butterfly in his stomach I guess.

I will wait till Tuesday before I contact him again.

The way I look at it is you wait months and sometimes several years to even get an offer, so there's no point in rushing things with a potential buyer.

I'd be careful with the sending of a second message though, don't want to seem desperate.

•••
The way I look at it is you wait months and sometimes several years to even get an offer, so there's no point in rushing things with a potential buyer.

I'd be careful with the sending of a second message though, don't want to seem desperate.

Wait for months before you get an offer? You mean it's normal I wait for him to make an offer since I have asked him how much?

•••
My 3 most recent sales were:

- A domain broker approaching me on behalf of a client - after a specific domain I had

- A domainer (I think) from China, that wanted a particular domain. Came via Whois details.

- Another individual from China who wanted 2 specific domains. I think he came via a website I have that lists many of my domains.

The China interest is newish for me, and getting stronger, imo....A lot of new money coming out of China.

•••
Wait for months before you get an offer? You mean it's normal I wait for him to make an offer since I have asked him how much?
Pretty sure he meant the FIRST offer/inquiry, not after you have quoted them a price.

•••
Waiting is kind of a game of cat and mouse really. I mean can take months after there first email before they even contact you again. You have to be willing to wait it out. Heck i had one domain that I had sold to the guy that was available for registration fee. I owned it when we originally started talking, but then later let it expire and picked it up with a godaddy code for a quick sale a year later.

•••
•••
Never sold anything trough Godaddy. Do you guys list your names on GD Auctions or as premium?

Last name i sold was last week on Namerific.com

•••
I don't list my domains as premium on GoDaddy purely because premiums are a fixed price, and I list my domains on other venues than GoDaddy. It's a tad dangerous listing my domains at fixed prices at more than one venue. Having said that, my make offer domains at GoDaddy constitute approx 80% of my sales. It's the number of eyeballs.

•••
I don't list my domains as premium on GoDaddy purely because premiums are a fixed price, and I list my domains on other venues than GoDaddy. It's a tad dangerous listing my domains at fixed prices at more than one venue. Having said that, my make offer domains at GoDaddy constitute approx 80% of my sales. It's the number of eyeballs.

Hi Stu, how do you list domains on GD as "Make offer"?

•••
I don't think I understand the question. You go to GoDaddy Auctions and list your domains as Listing Type: Offer/Counter Offer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back