Dynadot

new gtlds Headless.Domainer in a Topless.Bar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Now I got your attention. I'm going to burst some myths about the new gTLDs. Its been nearly 2 years since the launch and what have we learnt.

The Registries (UniRegister, Rightside, Donuts, Tucows, Mind + Machines......)

1. ALL of them over estimated demand.
Remember, Mind+Machines saying in 2013, dot COM will be dead in 10 years. Their share price has halved since early 2014.
Frank Shilling said dot COM is going to be like AM radio in 20 years. Does anyone still believe that. Said in DNJ after the first year that he had been over enthusiastic about demand.
Donuts said renewals would be 80%, didnt happen, so they stopped giving out the data.
Rightside, again stock price has halved since early 2014. This month they said, to calm investors, that they will be spending $2million dollars on marketing to make up for the lag in lower than expected registrations.
Tucows Colin said they will get 1,000,000 registrations in first year. Was nearer 300,000. Great company, great marketing but way over estimated demand.
And Verisign stock, the registry for good old .com has increased 50% since the launch of the new gTLDs!

2. The Registries PROPAGANDA. (biased or misleading information)
@DanielNegari gave away names to inflate registration numbers and now is selling them at a loss, for 40 cents at some registrars. Anyone can sell a $10 bill for $9. Of course hes looking to make money on the renewals. All ccc.xyz have been brought out. Who the hell is going to buy 6j3.xyz on the aftermarket. Only one person, a headless.domainer in a topless.bar.

Frank Shilling the Evangelist of the new gTLDs.
Smart guy but Im here for the domainer, so I will call him out.
Remember the build up to the launching of the new gTLDs, he was going to make all of the dot link names available at the basic registration price. So you domainers can get an amazing name at reg fee. Didn't happen. The good names he either reserved or registered them himself, to be sold at a premium. 360˚about turn or just misleading?
This is important Frank always says this
Big brands placed their internet presence on .com as it meant commerce, smaller brands and companies followed them into .com
Now we are going to see the same thing to the right of the dot , as big brands leads the way with smaller brands and other companies to follow leading to tens of thousands of new gTLDs.
Its a certainty.

Its Not Going To Happen. BMW will use .BMW and the much touted FOX NEWS will use NEWS.FOX. So what, it means nothing to us domainers. When the public see News.Fox, first they wont remember if its Fox.News or News.Fox and just go to FoxNews.com. They certainly are not going to be thinking this means there is a .online or a .link or a .xyz as I am from the next generation. Now the public see youtu.be or no_url_shorteners and just think its a clever hack but will still go to youtube.com and no_url_shorteners (Yes they had to changed their destination home page from the Lebanon ccTLD .ly to .com in 2011).
This is domainers number 1 hurdle when it comes to selling these new gTLDs, other than to headless.domainers, convincing a business to go with Furniture.Shop when there is a competitor on FurnitureShop.com.
number 2 hurdle is convincing them to put their online presence in the hands of an unknown, untrusted and unestablished TLD.
number 3 hurdle is telling them not to worry about emails going to [email protected] rather than [email protected].
BMW and FOX are fine they got the .com.
These are the 3 reasons why there has been little or no aftermarket sales by domainers to End Users.

3. Confusion - Imagine an enduser seeing .photography, .photo, .photos, .pics, .pictures, .camera .digital, or because he believes he is a genius goes for photography.guru or is it .ninja.
Its overwhelming and confusing so hes sticks with .com because that's what he knows and trust.
No no, lets say that he is that elusive enduser and likes the look of wedding.pics and you being the skilled salesman has got him over the 3 hurdles above. What is he going to offer, with so many options available $1000, why should he offer more. Then you hit him with the bombshell the renewals are $200 a year on this beauty.

4. Fools Gold - As the Evangelists keep saying they look good, they look natural. Yes to us domainers they do but to the general public they look like a hack, a shortner, a tinyURL, they will automatically believe you have the .com. Its ingrained in the public psyche. They dont look at them and think great I dont need to type .com, they really dont care.
This is going to be the hardest and I say an impossible task, is getting the general public to stop thinking only of .com or ccTLD and see and understand the new gTLDs, if you cant do that, businesses will shun the new gTLDs and keep using .coms. They only look good to us.

No doubt there will be domainers that make money from these new gTLDs but most will lose money. I see on here awful names and the charge into .xyz or .top but outside NNN.xyz or Keyword.xyz or LLL.xyz there is virtual no chance of an enduser sale and you are relying on the headless.domainer in a topless.bar.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would say by far the best chance of .top succeeding is in China. They understand the word...
I understand why you mean that, you are relaxed - but let me complete that 'top' is understood in more than 20 languages in the same way: 'best'.
My faith isn't like 'believe me or lose' - but I have my convictions - like everybody, so keep your faith too.

Last edited:
•••
Ok sorry everyone. I got off on a tangent. Good luck kingof.top with your domains too!

I was just in the .ws thread and it seems like there is some funny things going on with the new roll out of the 2-3character .ws pricing. This all just leads to problems for us domainers.

I just read on there site for us to make an offer on the domain we like! That's weird, I thought they would come out with some kind of standard pricing. There might be an auction going on also. Don't know what to think of all this crap going on. Back to bashing the other gtlds. ;)

•••
Kingof.top do you always have to have the last word? dont answer that. Yes im sure many languages understand it but how many use it in their company name or business brand. Just saying in China they do without people thinking its corny. Go get them Kingof.top. Rule the world with your extension.
We know your beliefs. No need to keep reminding us.
Only worry for the new gTLDs advocates is Kingof.top is the only one on here arguing for them. Feels like the argument is lost and all they got to hang on to its a matter of time, like a religious belief unwavered by reason and evidence.
If you need the last word king you go and get it.

•••
Kingof.top do you always have to have the last word? dont answer that. Yes im sure many languages understand it but how many use it in their company name or business brand. Just saying in China they do without people thinking its corny. Go get them Kingof.top. Rule the world with your extension.
We know your beliefs. No need to keep reminding us.
Only worry for the new gTLDs advocates is Kingof.top is the only one on here arguing for them. Feels like the argument is lost and all they got to hang on to its a matter of time, like a religious belief unwavered by reason and evidence.
If you need the last word king you go and get it.

As long as I get direct replys I will reply for 99 % - that's why I am here.
I am not the only one who is arguing for new gTLDs.
It is a fact that patience is needed.
Otherwise you are wrong in the domain business in my eyes.
There is no need to use 'top' in a company name / business brand - it's just a perfect extension for the web precence of the company / brand.

Last edited:
•••
it's just a perfect extension for the web precence of the company / brand.

Not for English speaking people, the word "top" comes in front of what you are talking about. To have it at the end or as an extension makes little sense and makes people confused.

•••
...the word "top" comes in front of what you are talking about.
In normal use that's true of course - but when it's used as a TLD than it's 'allowed' to say it after the word and everybody will understand how it is meant. It simply looks like a 'quality label' if it stands after the word - the dot can be understood as colon, here is an example:
top carsharing! = carsharing: top! = carsharing.top

Last edited:
•••
•••
Do you sleep king of.top
When you asking me something then you have to quote / reply me and make a question mark.
Otherwise I am not willing to give you answers.

•••
I agree it doesn't make any sense at all to have it at the end of the keyword.
top dog
top lawyer
car sharing top=doesn't make sense at all.
Like I said earlier there are few keywords that make sense with this extension. We have to be more selective with our purchases!

Back to subject. M+M made their head of marketing the new ceo. That shows you that they need help marketing their portfolio to the general public. It isn't working for them so they get rid of the co-founder!
Buying from them is like buying from a domainer. They cut us out of the equation making us the end user.

•••
Now I got your attention. I'm going to burst some myths about the new gTLDs. Its been nearly 2 years since the launch and what have we learnt.

The Registries (UniRegister, Rightside, Donuts, Tucows, Mind + Machines......)

1. ALL of them over estimated demand.
Remember, Mind+Machines saying in 2013, dot COM will be dead in 10 years. Their share price has halved since early 2014.
Frank Shilling said dot COM is going to be like AM radio in 20 years. Does anyone still believe that. Said in DNJ after the first year that he had been over enthusiastic about demand.
Donuts said renewals would be 80%, didnt happen, so they stopped giving out the data.
Rightside, again stock price has halved since early 2014. This month they said, to calm investors, that they will be spending $2million dollars on marketing to make up for the lag in lower than expected registrations.
Tucows Colin said they will get 1,000,000 registrations in first year. Was nearer 300,000. Great company, great marketing but way over estimated demand.
And Verisign stock, the registry for good old .com has increased 50% since the launch of the new gTLDs!

2. The Registries PROPAGANDA. (biased or misleading information)
@DanielNegari gave away names to inflate registration numbers and now is selling them at a loss, for 40 cents at some registrars. Anyone can sell a $10 bill for $9. Of course hes looking to make money on the renewals. All ccc.xyz have been brought out. Who the hell is going to buy 6j3.xyz on the aftermarket. Only one person, a headless.domainer in a topless.bar.

Frank Shilling the Evangelist of the new gTLDs.
Smart guy but Im here for the domainer, so I will call him out.
Remember the build up to the launching of the new gTLDs, he was going to make all of the dot link names available at the basic registration price. So you domainers can get an amazing name at reg fee. Didn't happen. The good names he either reserved or registered them himself, to be sold at a premium. 360˚about turn or just misleading?
This is important Frank always says this
Big brands placed their internet presence on .com as it meant commerce, smaller brands and companies followed them into .com
Now we are going to see the same thing to the right of the dot , as big brands leads the way with smaller brands and other companies to follow leading to tens of thousands of new gTLDs.
Its a certainty.

Its Not Going To Happen. BMW will use .BMW and the much touted FOX NEWS will use NEWS.FOX. So what, it means nothing to us domainers. When the public see News.Fox, first they wont remember if its Fox.News or News.Fox and just go to FoxNews.com. They certainly are not going to be thinking this means there is a .online or a .link or a .xyz as I am from the next generation. Now the public see youtu.be or no_url_shorteners and just think its a clever hack but will still go to youtube.com and no_url_shorteners (Yes they had to changed their destination home page from the Lebanon ccTLD .ly to .com in 2011).
This is domainers number 1 hurdle when it comes to selling these new gTLDs, other than to headless.domainers, convincing a business to go with Furniture.Shop when there is a competitor on FurnitureShop.com.
number 2 hurdle is convincing them to put their online presence in the hands of an unknown, untrusted and unestablished TLD.
number 3 hurdle is telling them not to worry about emails going to [email protected] rather than [email protected].
BMW and FOX are fine they got the .com.
These are the 3 reasons why there has been little or no aftermarket sales by domainers to End Users.

3. Confusion - Imagine an enduser seeing .photography, .photo, .photos, .pics, .pictures, .camera .digital, or because he believes he is a genius goes for photography.guru or is it .ninja.
Its overwhelming and confusing so hes sticks with .com because that's what he knows and trust.
No no, lets say that he is that elusive enduser and likes the look of wedding.pics and you being the skilled salesman has got him over the 3 hurdles above. What is he going to offer, with so many options available $1000, why should he offer more. Then you hit him with the bombshell the renewals are $200 a year on this beauty.

4. Fools Gold - As the Evangelists keep saying they look good, they look natural. Yes to us domainers they do but to the general public they look like a hack, a shortner, a tinyURL, they will automatically believe you have the .com. Its ingrained in the public psyche. They dont look at them and think great I dont need to type .com, they really dont care.
This is going to be the hardest and I say an impossible task, is getting the general public to stop thinking only of .com or ccTLD and see and understand the new gTLDs, if you cant do that, businesses will shun the new gTLDs and keep using .coms. They only look good to us.

No doubt there will be domainers that make money from these new gTLDs but most will lose money. I see on here awful names and the charge into .xyz or .top but outside NNN.xyz or Keyword.xyz or LLL.xyz there is virtual no chance of an enduser sale and you are relying on the headless.domainer in a topless.bar.

Thank you! One of the best articles/posts I have read on NP.

•••
They key point here, to me, is that the domaining industry that we all participate in, is an after thought. We aren't the target and any concerns we have aren't even on the radar. Anything we get from domaining was a gift that just fell in our lap. To expect ANY company to make a decision with our concerns in mind is simple ignorance.

All the more reason to stay with the tried and true .com.

Just think of all the time saved in pointless debates about the future on gTLD's?

•••
Headless.Domainer in a Topless.Bar

Nominate this one for best thread title of 2016!

•••
This Comic Perfectly Shows What Will Happen to New gTLD Investors

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...hat-will-happen-to-new-gtld-investors.971597/

s2-e15-go-bigger-go-homeless-comic.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back