Dynadot

.tv Has the .tv market peaked?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Has the .tv market peaked?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.0%
  • No

votes
    63.8%
  • Unsure

votes
    6.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

I think we are seeing numerous signs to suggest the .tv may have peaked. From what I can see of it, it is fairly common for relaunched/new tlds prices peak to at the time of the major auction, when speculator interest is at its highest, and you have a whole lot of people in the market who wouldn’t normally dabble in it. I’m not sure .tv will be an exception to this rule.

The only thing to change is there is now a large number of names in the market with genuine, real value, much like other extensions. In other words it is now on a level playfield in that respect but it is still only that, "level", not tilted upwards. The exuberance has carried over into a lot of unrealistic viewpoints recently in my view,

eg

-People claim this market is just starting to warm up and will be much stronger in a year. (we’ve heard that before)
-The idea that many of these premiums will be developed (of course that will never happen and is setting the scene for later disappointment).
-People talking about β€œtrying to keep the momentum going” and trying to organize group auctions (as though this is an engine that constantly needs top ups of fuel to prevent breakdown).
-People talking about future .tv millionaires.
-World economies seeing another shock spreading out from Europe.

If you look back a month ago that really was a market with a lot of positive elements rolled into, many factors combining that may never be repeated.

So I put this question out there, do you think the .tv market has peaked?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No - definitely not.

First UStream last week (75 Million invested)
Now Google TV today (Sony, Intel, Best Buy invested)
Then Oprah in Jan, 2011...(Oprah - Every Female in the World will invest)

We have only just begun!

Vito

Last edited:
•••
Its just starting, its really, really exciting what is coming for .TV investors... you will see good sales over the next 24 months at a wholesale level...serious offers coming from institutional .com investors :imho:

Any guesses what we sold whitehouse.tv for last year? jeff?

•••
No - definitely not.

First UStream last week (75 Million invested)
Now Google TV today (Sony, Intel, Best Buy invested)
Then Oprah in Jan, 2011...(Oprah - Every Female in the World will invest)

We have only just begun!

Vito

I don't really follow how any of this will effect .tv prices, it is just run of the mills news that we regularly see. .tv sites do get funding, tv shows do use .tv, products come out called "XXXXX TV", the Internet has broadly embraced video, none of this is new.

•••
I don't really follow how any of this will effect .tv prices, it is just run of the mills news that we regularly see. .tv sites do get funding, tv shows do use .tv, products come out called "XXXXX TV", the Internet has broadly embraced video, none of this is new.

When the #1 form of our Entertaiment for the past 60 years, ends up using something YOU, yourself should be exrtremely excited about (as a high roller Domainer)which is - Domains (URL's) to get a much better and wider selection of programming and marketable sites, don't tell me this .TV extension won't be adopted as #1.

Ok, for the sake of arguement let's say .com will still be #1, but I honestly don't even believe that.

I honestly believe in the sense of internet/TV the .TV extension will be the new .com IMHO, and this is not Bullshit I am spewing from my keyboard to cause any more debates or drama...
I am putting my money on it.

Vito.

•••
When the #1 form of our Entertaiment for the past 60 years, ends up using something YOU, yourself should be exrtremely excited about (as a high roller Domainer)which is - Domains (URL's) to get a much better and wider selection of programming and marketable sites, don't tell me this .TV extension won't be adopted as #1.

Another good example of being unrealistic. Years ago some people talked about .tv and predicted most video sites would used it. Reality turned out very diffently. I wonder if some veteran .tv domainers still scratch their heads at how the vast majority of major video sites "couldn't see" what they could supposedly see. Personally the only thing I get excited about is the reality of today. :)

I honestly believe in the sense of internet/TV the .TV extension will be the new .com IMHO, and this is not Bullshit I am spewing from my keyboard to cause any more debates or drama...
I am putting my money on it.

Vito.

You are travelling a well worn path. Funnily enough there is a guy in the .co thread here making much the same argument.

This is one of the big question i'm asking every day:

"Will .CO overtake .COM in the near future?"

As far as i know, it's shorter then .com and more meaningful then .com

http://www.namepros.com/cctld-discussion/657140-will-lll-co-be-popular.html

Thedotstop, good luck and make sure you put in a "reality check point". ie if you think .tv is going to be the main extension set a date for when you think that will happen and if wrong make sure you admit that error rather than waiting forever

•••
Another good example of being unrealistic. Years ago some people talked about .tv and predicted most video sites would used it. Reality turned out very diffently. I wonder wonder if some veteran .tv domainers still scratch their heads at how the vast majority of major video sites "couldn't see" what they could supposedly see. Personally the only thing I get excited about is the reality of today. :)

You are travelling a well worn path. Funnily enough there is a guy in the .co thread here making much the same argument.

http://www.namepros.com/cctld-discussion/657140-will-lll-co-be-popular.html

Good luck and make sure you put in a "reality check point". ie if you think .tv is going to be the main extension set a date for when you think that will happen and if wrong make sure you reassess your poition rather than waiting forever

Snoop, I am willing to make a large wager with you.
Exactly one year from now.
I will still be here.
We can hash out the terms, we will dedicate a thread to it, and I will blog about it, and we will see who is right.
Neither one of us can back out because our reputation will be on the line.

.TV is Hot as Hell today, and in a year it will be twice as Hot!

Personally the only thing I get excited about is the reality of today. :)

Brother, then I honestly feel sorry for you.
What do you have without having your dreams of tomorrow?

Vito

Last edited:
•••
Snoop, I am willing to make a large wager with you.
Exactly one year from now.
I will still be here.

Please spare from more wager nonsense!

[Cue 5 pages of posts about the terms- Finster: bring in 5 bundles of unmarked $1 bills and a jelly wrestling ring].

.TV is Hot as Hell today, and in a year it will be twice as Hot!

Hang on....I thought .tv was going to overtake .com?

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Brother, then I honestly feel sorry for you.
What do you have without having your dreams of tomorrow?

I live in the present, and prefer to make money today rather than hoping thing will somehow change in an unlikely way in the future.

•••
.TV wont overtake .com but it May overtake .net an .org etc :tu:

•••
Please spare from more wager nonsense!

[Cue 5 pages of posts about the terms- Finster: bring in 5 bundles of unmarked $1 bills and a jelly wrestling ring].

Hang on....I thought .tv was going to overtake .com?

Dont go there.

Look at the title of your thread again...
Has the .TV market peaked?
To answer your endless question - NO

Snoop, I really try to be humble, and I absolutely despise those MF-ers who are always negative and just live to say "I told ya so" so I am not gonna do that. But I will make a statement/bet, whatever on the future of .TV in one year from now.

The .TV Market will be MUCH better in one year from today then it is now. I will not edit my Post so you can put it in your little "i told ya so" Rolodex, and then If I am wrong you an be that MF-er if you get off on that, but you really wont have to remember, cuz I am winning this bet.

•••
•••
.com is King :gl:

Of course it is.

That isn't the issue here.

Has the .TV Market peaked?
Of course it hasn't LOL

•••
its good to see a passionate debate about .TV real estate.

•••
I don't think it's peaked. At the same time I don't like hearing all the "year from now, etc" bs.

you dont like hearing all this in a year from now BS???

Well, then how do you propose to answer a question that is relevant with a period in time Adrian???

•••
I voted YES.

I think that the .TV market peaked back on March 19th...

I don't think we'll ever see a land grab like that again.

The overall market is hard to gauge; however. In my opinion the .COM will always be the king of the ring - but just like Ali, the sting and butterfly get replaced by the older, much loved, but frail ex-champion. Ali is no more the old Ali, but everyone still knows Ali and can barely name any of the new champions.

Getting a .TV to go up head to head against a .COM may be a little bit of a challenge now; however, a good .TV against a parked .COM has a good chance IF it is VIDEO CENTRIC content. That doesn't mean purely "videos".

Some domains WILL go up in value because they just WORK. I won't mention any specifically but some names work BETTER than the dot com.

So the market peaked but that doesn't mean the market won't get STRONGER moving forward - two different things.

•••
I voted YES.

I think that the .TV market peaked back on March 19th...

I don't think we'll ever see a land grab like that.

The overall market is hard to gauge; however. In my opinion the .COM will always be the king of the ring - but just like Ali, the sting and butterfly get replaced by the older, much loved, but frail ex-champion. Ali is not more the old Ali, but everyone still knows Ali and can barely name any of the new champions.

Getting a .TV to go up head to head against a .COM may be a little bit of a challenge now; however, a good .TV against a parked .COM has a good chance IF it is VIDEO CENTRIC content. That doesn't mean purely "videos".

Some domains WILL go up in value because they just WORK. I won't mention any specifically but some names work BETTER than the dot com.

So the market peaked but that doesn't mean the market won't get STRONGER moving forward - two different things.

Your vote doesn't count.
you're suppose to be on hiatus! :)

•••
Your vote doesn't count.
you're suppose to be on hiatus! :)

That's true but then people started an auction and making comments. I hate the freakin internet.. it's TOO damn accessible!

I just think it's possible to say yes it has peaked AND remain confident about the future.

BTW I have made ONE TWEET since I started Twittering again.. and at least ONE Facebook post...and 10 NP posts.. lol

•••
I'm not sure I understand the ?

? means it is a question...LOL

Other than a Yes or No comment, How do you answer a question about a period of time without giving your own opinion bacxk of a period of time?

OMG, This is too much typing, LOL

That's true but then people started an auction and making comments. I hate the freakin internet.. it's TOO damn accessible!

I just think it's possible to say yes it has peaked AND remain confident about the future.

BTW I have made ONE TWEET since I started Twittering again.. and at least ONE Facebook post...and 10 NP posts.. lol

haha,

YOU will never leave!
So, you really should go to my Blog and read my recent article on Domaining Addictions! LOL

I'm ok, I already admitted I was addicted.
That IS the first step you know. :)

•••
? means it is a question...LOL

Other than a Yes or No comment, How do you answer a question about a period of time without giving your own opinion bacxk of a period of time?

OMG, This is too much typing, LOL

Get some sleep...its not a conspiracy :)

I :hearts: .TV

•••
•••
Get some sleep...its not a conspiracy :)

I :hearts: .TV

I was gonna write a big Google TV article tonight but you guys and gals are way too much fun!

Ok, I'm out, gotta get up too early in the morning to be fighting with invisible people...

nite all,
Vito

•••
you dont like hearing all this in a year from now BS???

Well, then how do you propose to answer a question that is relevant with a period in time Adrian???

He is just saying he doesn't like hearing all the nonsense about how the market *will* be stronger in a year. It is nonsense because it is being said in a way that sounds certain, much you like you say "Of course it hasn't peaked" as though that is definate. The future simply isn't known. If you are completely certain that the market can only rise that is an extremely dangerous viewpoint to hold. I'm not saying I'm sure the market has peaked, I saying that I think it may have, that is my gut feeling.

For those who are always looking to the future rather than the present, next time you are at your accountants ask him how many clients he has who hope to make money from certain ventures in the future but aren't making money today. The world is full of people like that. My advice is to focus on making money today rather than relying on things changing in the future.

•••
My advice is to focus on making money today rather than relying on things changing in the future.

It's time you looked into the cash flow business. In this economy winning in the cash flow business is better than ever. In real estate you have to have money. In the note business you just find notes and buy them and list them ... it's easy. 2hrs a week and you can make almost $200,000.

Same with .TVs it's just three simple steps:
Find Them
List Them
Make Money

I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck.. I want financial independence!

You have to change your life and do something about it now!

ALL non-fixed investment bar NONE is based on speculation on future yields. The only parameter you can change is the time variant. It's a gut feeling for snoop - it's a gut feeling for the DS.

My focus is not to make money today or to make money tomorrow. My focus is to have a portfolio of investments that on the balance will ensure that I have ENOUGH money in the future. My advice is that the only permanent winner in a client-accountant relationship is the accountant. Hey, I just lost you $50,000 dollars investing in BP.... you still owe me for my service.

•••
It's time you looked into the cash flow business. In this economy winning in the cash flow business is better than ever. In real estate you have to have money. In the note business you just find notes and buy them and list them ... it's easy. 2hrs a week and you can make almost $200,000.

Find Them
List Them
Make Money

ALL non-fixed investment bar NONE is based on speculation on future yields. The only parameter you can change is the time variant. It's a gut feeling for snoop - it's a gut feeling for the DS.

My focus is not to make money today or to make money tomorrow. My focus is to have a portfolio of investments that on the balance will ensure that I have ENOUGH money in the future. My advice is that the only permanent winner in a client-accountant relationship is the accountant. Hey, I just lost you $50,000 dollars investing in BP.... you still owe me for my service.

Smart Man:bingo: Invest in Internet Real Estate :sold: and you dont need to cut grass :hehe:

Last edited:
•••

Find Them
List Them
Make Money

I've read this a couple of times and I still have no idea what any of this is supposed to mean.

My advice is really simple: Make sure you are making money today because for those who don't make money today but think things will change: very rarely do things actually change for them. They already have the mindset of putting things off forever, the business model is established: losing money.

So when people say stuff like .tv will one day be bigger than .com, I ask them when? In what year will you decude you were wrong, or will that be put off forever aswell?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back