Dynadot

alert Got scammed by Mehmet emrah Gunes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Learnt a hard lesson today.Never deal without Escrow even if you have done trading with the same person before.

The issue is Regarding the domain KINA.com

Yesterday I got A PM from @Megist regarding the domain Kina.com whcih he wanted to sale it for $1250 and payment via BTC only.I replied back saying I am willing to buy so pass on the BTC address.I didn't got any reply from him,all of a sudden in the morning I was checking my mail and I saw the mail regarding Kina.com,he said he wanted to sell it off so lets proceed with the process.
Since his account got restricted in NP so I asked him these questions
upload_2017-9-25_15-38-59.png

Got the reply
upload_2017-9-25_15-39-25.png

Then a series of mail got exchanged below are the screenshots
upload_2017-9-25_15-39-54.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-41-10.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-41-48.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-42-26.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-42-57.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-43-28.png

upload_2017-9-25_15-44-2.png

So obviously He is not gonna pay back the BTC and wont transfer the domain.I knew I was taking a risk but since we have dealt in past so I showed faith in him and it was only .17 BTC..

Lesson Learnt: Never ever do deal without escrow.

His name and complete address

Seller:
Mehmet emrah Gunes
Halicioglu mahallesi Pestemalci sokak Yasam apt No 15 17 Daire 1 Beyoglu
34445 ISTANBUL
Turkey

Username on BlackHatWorld (BHW) is: mailingtr

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It was via sedo escrow 2 years back

Establishing trust via a previous exchange is a method used by scammers, and once the victim lowers their defenses, that's all it takes.

Never fail to use escrow services, such as Escrow.com, when dealing with an amount you cannot afford to lose.

•••
Escrow cannot always protect you if the buyer is in possession of a stolen domain.

For obvious reasons Escrow was never going to be used, and the seller tugged on the shirt strings of the buyers greed in getting a to good to be true deal, strictly human nature.

•••
Escrow cannot always protect you if the buyer is in possession of a stolen domain.

For obvious reasons Escrow was never going to be used, and the seller tugged on the shirt strings of the buyers greed in getting a to good to be true deal, strictly human nature.

Escrow.com has mechanisms in place that deter scammers and thieves. First, user verification wipes out an entire group of scammers from the get-go. An active list of stolen domains ensures such names will never be sold via Escrow.com. In recent months, scammers try to use proxy sellers, e.g. verified sellers to sell stolen assets on their behalf. Once uncovered, those accounts get terminated as well.

Social engineering is still a factor in establishing trust to facilitate a scam - as you said, it's human nature to eventually trust someone you've done business with before.

•••
Escrow.com has mechanisms in place that deter scammers and thieves. First, user verification wipes out an entire group of scammers from the get-go. An active list of stolen domains ensures such names will never be sold via Escrow.com. In recent months, scammers try to use proxy sellers, e.g. verified sellers to sell stolen assets on their behalf. Once uncovered, those accounts get terminated as well.

Social engineering is still a factor in establishing trust to facilitate a scam - as you said, it's human nature to eventually trust someone you've done business with before.
User verification to the point of obtaining ID may not have occurred as the transaction was under the $3K threshold, but domains are valuable, and people are naive, that is what namepros is for, domainer education.

I remember reading a story here where someone got ripped off during a 3L.com purchase of a stolen domain while using escrow. At the end of the day escrow is a layer, but common sense is the first line of defense for such situations.

To the buyer, your lucky it's not a big hit, just make it up on the next sale.

•••
@wwwweb - All Escrow.com accounts require verification, there is Tier 1 (name, DOB, Address, phone number) and Tier 2 (the one above $3k) that requires a lot more documentation.

I support more verification, vs. less for the safety of all parties involved.

•••
Let's hope escrow.com won't become another Equifax story. I don't think even Equifax are keeping copies of ID, since all they don't deal with the public direct.
But that's another story.

•••
I got a msg from Megist too couple days ago, but it looked like an obvious scam. If someone offers you a vlauable and very liquid domain way below market price 99% it's a scam. I fwded it to @Eric Lyon and he later handled it and banned him. I think quite a few people reported it.

Note to all: if you get a pm or see a thread that you believe is a scam attempt be sure to fill out a report or notify mods, they are rather efficient at handling it

Also, an easy way to verify domain owner is send an email to the whois admin address and ask the seller to reply to it.
That's fucked up that you reported to Lyons but no one here gets a heads up from him or the forum. There should be a very large warnings section on the home page here that is updated daily that points out any thing that has been reported to Namepros so others can be aware. It would be very simple to put a very large warnings section to remind people to check it daily. They also should send out a mass PM to all members when something like this occurs.

•••
That's f*cked up that you reported to Lyons but no one here gets a heads up from him or the forum. There should be a very large warnings section on the home page here that is updated daily that points out any thing that has been reported to Namepros so others can be aware. It would be very simple to put a very large warnings section to remind people to check it daily. They also should send out a mass PM to all members when something like this occurs.
We did send out a mass DM to everyone (about 20 members) that @Megist interacted with recently and alerted them. We also restricted Megist's account.

Prior to what happened (OUTSIDE of NamePros) that was reported in this thread, the only thing that happened was Megist tried to sell a domain he did not own. It could have been a mistake at that point.

It would be very simple to put a very large warnings section to remind people to check it daily.
That is the purpose of the Warnings & Alerts section that this thread is posted in. However, it is for members to report their experiences/alerts. We may report in it on a rare occasion, but ultimately, it's left up to those involved or who have been interacted with to do so. In this case, about 20 members could have created the thread, but they likely felt it was too premature, as well, since nothing that proved malice intent had happened yet.

Thanks for your feedback,

Edit: Discussion continued here.

Update on Jan 11, 2018: New thread "Scammer On Forum - Member - Boris Vian"

Last edited:
•••
•••
Btc is fine if you trust the guy and in future, I'm sure there will be blockchain escrows, but this is not the case to be sending money like that.

Yes the deal was too good to be true, but also I'm sorry to say it but a bit of world experience or even country racism helps here. This is normal Turk trading behavior, just go try to deal with the carpet salesmen in Istanbul. Most of the world believes if you're stupid enough to be taken for a ride, you deserve it and it's in their power to exploit every inch of that vulnerability in you and their gods allow that. So remember that when you're dealing with Arabs, Turks, Chinese, Israelis etc.

The only reason he is talking with you is that he still thinks he can keep you in hope that if you send the rest you will get the domain. You will never get the domain forget it, or the money. It's gone.

I know that there are many honest folks here from these countries who want to fight the stereotypes, but all I'm saying is be careful and though on these guys.
Dude you just lumped all of Asia and the middle east into the scammed group under that weird as spiritual belief 😮

•••
More scammers use PayPal.

If you use multi-sig transactions with a trusted 3rd party, then that is a form of escrow in Bitcoin.

The other alternative is to use a service such as the Name Silo marketplace.
Thanks for always standing up for crypto in every relevant thread. I hope it gets used more so the price hits 5k

•••
Learnt a hard lesson today.

Thanks for the post jameandrew, it's been an interesting read. I'm pleased to read your so philosophical about the loss/and experience. that's what makes life comfortable and a learning exercise

I've never (todate) ever been really, really scammed apart from once. I was living in Tenerife, a beautiful tax-free Island for two years. .around US$800 to US$1200 a month will see you living life wonderfully. Then one day I went to buy a camera. shop attendant picks-up my camera of choosing - then continues to point a sticker showing a number with an obscured E euro currency marker in my direction - Yes "I bite" and ask if that's the price, Now they have you. Are you foolish enough to pay that amount - or are you questioning the number directed towards you. Later, after spending nearly two years on the islands - I indeed learnt It was common practice to immediately tell you it was just a 'Stock-Number' if you queried. Or carry on with that 5 X the tax free price if your just stupid enough. Yep I paid 200 euro for a 35 dollar camera. know wonder everyone from that shop used to wave to me every time I walked past for the next two years.

Guess they were looking at previous history - to know they were within a chance of another profitable day. - I wanted to burn them down - but a lesson learnt.

Last edited:
•••
not good news for a turkish domainers😥

•••
wow thats crazy !!! kina for 1200 not bad a member of ours sold skuf.com on namejet for around 1500

•••
I let dexy.com go for a pittance (less than 1k) when I really needed the money. Life happens. have to add I've sold domains for UK£xx,xxx that nobody would pay £xxx for today. It is what makes domaining interesting - Take your eye off the ball, by all means - But don't ever be shocked what's left on the lawn

Last edited:
•••
have to add I've sold domains for UK£xx,xxx that nobody would pay £xxx for today. It is what makes domaining interesting

How many domains did you sell for £xx,xxx?

Do you mind sharing more info about this?

•••
@jameandrew is there any update from his side? Did he agree to send the domain or the money?

Any other conversations?

•••
@jameandrew is there any update from his side? Did he agree to send the domain or the money?

Any other conversations?
Not replying to the mails now.will ping after a week i.e on Monday to get an update.

•••
Btc is fine if you trust the guy and in future, I'm sure there will be blockchain escrows, but this is not the case to be sending money like that.

Yes the deal was too good to be true, but also I'm sorry to say it but a bit of world experience or even country racism helps here. This is normal Turk trading behavior, just go try to deal with the carpet salesmen in Istanbul. Most of the world believes if you're stupid enough to be taken for a ride, you deserve it and it's in their power to exploit every inch of that vulnerability in you and their gods allow that. So remember that when you're dealing with Arabs, Turks, Chinese, Israelis etc.

The only reason he is talking with you is that he still thinks he can keep you in hope that if you send the rest you will get the domain. You will never get the domain forget it, or the money. It's gone.

I know that there are many honest folks here from these countries who want to fight the stereotypes, but all I'm saying is be careful and though on these guys.

Scammed people are in every country. This does not give you the right to scribble the Turks.

•••
Here is one more of his identities. Could be a fake one as well. Getting this thru a paypal transaction I had with him. More details provided in private to mod Eric. Based on that I am posting the following details.

Cihan Gedik
[email protected]

Cihan Gedik
1300 E. Missouri Avenue
Missouri Avenue, TN 85014
United States

•••
kina for only $1350 ? Too good to be true :xf.eek:
You always need to question ....... why is this too good to be true ??

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back