IT.COM

tips Your spam folder may be eating up your next sale

NameSilo
Watch
Recently I was going through my spam folder because an email I was expecting wasn't arriving in the inbox. Then only I realized that an email enquiry regarding one of my domains was nicely put into the spam folder. It was from a hotmail address and gmail flagged it as spam!
But by the time I happened to see the email, my domain was already sold on the recently concluded 4L .com Sedo auction. I contacted the guy and informed him of how gmail flagged it as spam and informed of the domain already being bought by someone else at an auction, he enquired about the sale price. When I told him about the price, he told me he would pay "a bit more" than that. Anyway, he already got another domain for his business by then.
One reason why he didn't probably send me an offer through Sedo is that the domain was already scheduled to go to auction and so, didn't have the "make offer" link. [Correct me if I am wrong.] He sent his enquiry 2 days before the auction began.

Lesson learned: Check your spam folder of your email account that you use for your domains every once in a while.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agreed , I sold a name last year, the buyer came through godaddy but mail ended up in my spam folder. I was lucky to check it on time

Last edited:
•••
Lesson learned: Check your spam folder of your email account that you use for your domains every once in a while.

An alternate solution is to:

1. have a dedicated/unique email address for all domain name inquiries (e.g. [email protected]) that appears in the public WHOIS or other systems, AND
2. setup a filter so that all emails to that address (not "from that address") never go to spam (and even better, have a label attached to them in your inbox)

See articles such as:

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-important-emails-never-get-sent-to-spam.html
https://www.jotform.com/help/404-How-to-Prevent-Emails-from-Landing-in-Gmail-s-Spam-Folder

to learn how to setup up new filters. You would want to set things up based on filters for the "To" field, e.g. "To:" [email protected] following the example above (i.e. some of the articles use different filter rules, based on the "From" field, but you would want to filter based on the "To" field).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back