Dynadot

Got a "F*ck You" response from a domainer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I made a number of inquiries on domain names lately and am still shocked how many domainers do not respond to an inquiry. Granted I did not open with a price, I always ask what are you looking to get for the domain. I end by saying I am very interested and please do not ignore my inquiry.

In the last month I have sent 6 inquiries and received only two responses and one response ended in a sale. So from 6 domains one was what I would call a great transaction and the other one at least an attempt for a sale.

That said, I have a tendency to send the inquiry at least twice and this month I send the following to 4 of my inquiries. that failed to respond.

Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

Got one response back from a domainer

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Wow.... just wow :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think your wording sounds disrespectful to be honest. Your buying on his terms not selling to your terms

•••
I’ve got two words for you, “who cares”

Just go buy another domain, Who knows maybe that fuck you probably save you some money down the road.

•••
When i get offers through my site or efty, the first thing i look at is the amount of the offer. If the offer amount is unusual or blank, it is a warning signal to me that its junk.

I have never sent or received an FU from sending or receiving an offer but my approach is different than yours.

You didnt ask for advice so i wont give any, but I try to go in the direction of "Seems like you are not interested in selling now, if you change your mind, let me know. I might still be interested."

Also, I dont give up too easily. I might have responded to the FU with "Thanks for the reply, is the domain for sale? Id like to make a generous offer."

:)

•••
While I agree that in general a response should always be given, ideally promptly, it is important to realize that there are many valid reasons why this sometimes does not happen. For example, they may be in for medical treatment, out of internet contact on a wilderness vacation, be going through a personal emergency, etc. Most domain sellers are single person 'companies', and while it would be ideal to set up someone to respond when we are not able to, that is not always feasible.

I agree that it is never proper to give an FU response. We need more politeness and understanding in this world!

While it is frustrating to get no response and worse to get an impolite one, it is best to simply move on, and not make more of it than it is. There is a whole universe of potential domains out there, so if we don't get a chance to get one there are many more. If you excuse me, I have to go get some now :xf.grin:

I thank the OP for raising the issue, and it is a good reminder that when we all do our bit to be professional it helps all of us ultimately, as end users will feel better about researching and purchasing domains.

•••
I don't know how many times perspective clients have made rude remarks to me. If I told them to F off I would have lost a few sales. Sometimes it takes a client to say get off your ass and help me for the salesmen to actually get the point.

The domainers response could have been, Sorry for the delay and he could have sold me a domain.

Now before some of the bleeding hearts here lecture me again.... it was a piece of crap mispell/plural variant of a .ca domain that would have been of little to no use to anyone else. It was not a Mike Mann domain so PLEASE don't lecture me on what a privilege it would have been to buy it.

Now he can kiss my royal arse and in a few years I'll pick it up on drop.

Last edited:
•••
While I agree that in general a response should always be given, ideally promptly, it is important to realize that there are many valid reasons why this sometimes does not happen. For example, they may be in for medical treatment, out of internet contact on a wilderness vacation, be going through a personal emergency, etc. Most domain sellers are single person 'companies', and while it would be ideal to set up someone to respond when we are not able to, that is not always feasible.

I agree that it is never proper to give an FU response. We need more politeness and understanding in this world!

While it is frustrating to get no response and worse to get an impolite one, it is best to simply move on, and not make more of it than it is. There is a whole universe of potential domains out there, so if we don't get a chance to get one there are many more. If you excuse me, I have to go get some now :xf.grin:

I thank the OP for raising the issue, and it is a good reminder that when we all do our bit to be professional it helps all of us ultimately, as end users will feel better about researching and purchasing domains.

Yep! I've been on both sides of the medical reason... as a buyer and a seller. It sucks but that is life. Life does get in the way sometimes, and is much more important than business when all is said and done. :)

•••
Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

Got one response back from a domainer

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Wow....:facepalm: just wow :facepalm: :facepalm:

What does that tell you about the quality of your email and its tone? It's aggressive and confrontational. If you want a different response, change your approach.

Last edited:
•••
Yep! I've been on both sides of the medical reason... as a buyer and a seller. It sucks but that is life. Life does get in the way sometimes, and is much more important than business when all is said and done. :)

And as a professional that is in the selling business he could have said that, instead F U is a no sale.

I found his whois and cross referenced his email.... he won't be in business in a year, only about 30 crap names. Have never seen him on the forum but sure wish he was. :punch:

•••
What does that tell you about the quality of your email and its tone? If you want a different response, change your approach.

And do you even read the topic before posting!!!

Seriously, I made two legitimate attempts using his form where there was no field for price.

Christ, I hate having to repeat this shit!!!

Last edited:
•••
And as a professional that is in the selling business he could have said that, instead F U is a no sale.

I found his whois and cross referenced his email.... he won't be in business in a year, only about 30 crap names. Have never seen him on the forum but sure wish he was. :punch:

Like I wrote earlier - I totally agree, there is no time in this industry to use such language. If this were the, lets say the construction world (which I've done plenty of myself and with), then the language common.

In my 6 weeks spent in a hospital I lost some domains to expiration. I also didnt get to respond to quite a few offers. When I did there was either no reply back or if they did they said they went with another name. I nearly died several times over a 6 week period and though there were no smartphones back then, I did have a laptop but honestly - I didnt even want to bother with it. I was so focused on my health. I seriously doubt I would have ever replied like that to anyone pushing me for a response because I try to turn everything into a sale. I tried my best to turn those missed emails into sales but none converted.

The person on the other end of your emails doesnt seem like that sort of person. We're all different. Some use language, some dont. Some want to make sales, some dont.

The thread here is good - it shows people what might be happening on either side of a blind negotiation. So I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks and sorry you experienced that.

•••
AGAME, true to your name!!

Great response, looks at both sides of the coin (y)

•••
Sometimes when I get low offers (like earlier today on Sedo) and respond with $xx,xxx counter like I do, I wonder if I will get an FU back. :)

•••
Sometimes when I get low offers (like earlier today on Sedo) and respond with $xx,xxx counter like I do, I wonder if I will get an FU back. :)

Oh that was you..... sorry about that.... :ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh:

I would hope not but a client can say what he wants, it is us as the professional that should be better behaved. You almost expect it from the public but we should act like we know what we are doing. Problem is all the part time hamburger flippers that are now calling themselves domainers. Nobody went to school and actually got a business degree, they think the sales will come to them when all they have is a mediocre portfolio to begin with. Truthfully that can be said about a lot of us but you can make you can make money off a so so portfolio if you offer customer service. An art a lot of rank amateurs here seem to be forgetting.

•••
Oh that was you..... sorry about that.... :ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh:

I would hope not but a client can say what he wants, it is us as the professional that should be better behaved. You almost expect it from the public but we should act like we know what we are doing. Problem is all the part time hamburger flippers that are now calling themselves domainers. Nobody went to school and actually got a business degree, they think the sales will come to them when all they have is a mediocre portfolio to begin with. Truthfully that can be said about a lot of us but you can make you can make money off a so so portfolio if you offer customer service. An art a lot of rank amateurs here seem to be forgetting.
Let me ask you...Did it really bother you getting that response? You seem tough skinned. Am I right?

•••
Nope did not bother me at all, I more chuckled and thought his loss, I'll pick it up on drop. The .ca's drop really fast and one can easily pick it up.

What got me are the same responses from other domainers defending the actions of someone in the business of selling. I bit my tongue and was polite but every two bit wanna be domainer is trying to lecture me that I should not have voiced my displeasure at being ignored.

Someone has to tell the guy he just lost a potential sale. He had a chance to get the sale or say F U. Well what the hell is he advertising the domain for? just to say f u? If that's not a rank amateur hamburger paddy flipper then I don't know what.

Unless it was Mike Mann or Rick Schwartz, they can tell me to f off any day. They have earned the right to do that. :xf.laugh:

•••
@MapleDots - if you want to remain polite, send the seller a link to natribu.org instead, somebody developed this service exactly for these purposes :) (it is multilingual, not sure if the geo is auto-detected, but natribu.org/en/ should work in English-speaking correspondence)

•••
Nope did not bother me at all, I more chuckled and thought his loss, I'll pick it up on drop. The .ca's drop really fast and one can easily pick it up.

What got me are the same responses from other domainers defending the actions of someone in the business of selling. I bit my tongue and was polite but every two bit wanna be domainer is trying to lecture me that I should not have voiced my displeasure at being ignored.

Someone has to tell the guy he just lost a potential sale. He had a chance to get the sale or say F U. Well what the hell is he advertising the domain for? just to say f u? If that's not a rank amateur hamburger paddy flipper then I don't know what.

Unless it was Mike Mann or Rick Schwartz, they can tell me to f off any day. They have earned the right to do that. :xf.laugh:
Seems most everyone responded that the response you received was unacceptable.

•••
Seems most everyone responded that the response you received was unacceptable.

Nope, most everyone was AGHAST at me calling the domainer out on ignoring me.
I understood he might not have been available, I fully expected him to come back with an F U but in the form of xxx.xx with 3-4 smileys.

A straight F U response to a potential sale is idiotic and anyone defending that deserves their ass chewed off!!

•••

OH! OK, I understand now. If someone is higher on YOUR perceived pecking order list THEN it's alright to say "F' You!" BUT if it's someone that has (perceived) inferior names to your (though you seem to like at least one of them), then it's not OK.

Huh! Seems like a double standard to me.

So my take away is that:
1) It's not up to him as to who and when he wants to respond (if at all) to an inquiry.
2) And when he does, he has no right to say "F' You" when YOU make a statement (with out being solicited) as how he should run HIS business - in a rather condescending fashion no less.

Got it!

Last edited:
•••
“There was/is a good discussion on Namepros about courtesy and professionalism in domain name inquiry responses. In a nutshell, a domain investor emailed another domain investor about a domain name. After 3 inquiries the inquirer told the domain owner he was being unprofessional. The owner replied “Fuck Off”. Besides giving me a good laugh it was an interesting read. I’ll start off by saying there is zero reason to be rude or use bad language when replying to an inquiry. Any time you are in the seat of power there is no reason to be hostile. You own the domain and really have no obligation to even respond. If you don’t want to answer emails then it’s nobody’s loss but yours. Let them write 100 emails telling me I am unprofessional. I don’t care. I have the domain you want. Block the email and it’s done.”

https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-domains-auction-monday-january-15th-2018/

•••
Let them write 100 emails telling me I am unprofessional. I don’t care. I have the domain you want. Block the email and it’s done.”

Yup that would make sense but one little addition.

When one thinks "I have the domain" that can be a bit liberating, I know that myself but the question is are we domain collectors or domain re-sellers? Can't really be doing a good job if I'm not selling. In the end if you piss off too many people you might be sitting on a lot of beautiful domains with no clients.

•••
Not all inquiries deserve a response. Sorry to break the news to you. Whether the domain owner is a domainer, or a business owner with an asset you want, unless they are explicitly offering it for sale, your inquiries aren't necessarily welcome - they are unsolicited, if they don't follow the proper channel. For example, was the domain listed on a marketplace? Use that venue to place an offer. And sending 2 or more followup emails qualifies as spam, when they don't respond. While the "FU" response is harsh, it's a definite "not interested" note, so treat it as such.

•••
The domain was on a for sale page, and I used the supplied form to inquire. I did not whois and go seeking out someone holding a domain for nostalgic reasons. I used his form twice, it said comment and did not ask for a price.

I stated clearly I am interested and please contact me. I don't care what you say but that guy is an idiot, why advertise a domain for sale and then not answer. I called him out on it and he showed me he was an ignorant wanna be domainer. I followed him up and seeing his properties I would say he is a dabbler at best.

Big topic now but everyone needs to read ALL THE POSTS, I HATE HAVING TO REPEAT THIS CRAP.

There is too much ego stroking in this industry....

ahh yes thats a Mike Mann Domain, you better ask a million bucks and be sure not to answer any inquiries because it will make become even more valuable. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
•••
I do try to respond to offers when there is an amount and it looks authentic. Like today. I got a $95 offer on a pretty decent two letter domain. I simply replied with $29,888. If they come back great. If they don't, that's okay too!

•••
Ok. So for reference, I'm pretty sure MM doesn't always respond in person. And despite his quirky personality, I haven't heard anything like that from him - maybe some strange, dry humor one liner but definitely not an "FU." He has a small team of people responding to domain inquiries. You must have come across as persistent.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back