IT.COM

Got a "F*ck You" response from a domainer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I made a number of inquiries on domain names lately and am still shocked how many domainers do not respond to an inquiry. Granted I did not open with a price, I always ask what are you looking to get for the domain. I end by saying I am very interested and please do not ignore my inquiry.

In the last month I have sent 6 inquiries and received only two responses and one response ended in a sale. So from 6 domains one was what I would call a great transaction and the other one at least an attempt for a sale.

That said, I have a tendency to send the inquiry at least twice and this month I send the following to 4 of my inquiries. that failed to respond.

Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

Got one response back from a domainer

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Wow.... just wow :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Remember the fact that I am a domainer has nothing to do with it. I inquired as an end user

How do you know the fact you being a domainer has nothing to do with it?

If the domain owner looked you up, and determined you weren't worth a response because either he had no intentions of selling, and/or no intentions of selling to you, it's tough to say what the seller viewed you as. This is speculative without knowing what the domain owner did and didn't do, and without knowing the domain.

To help better define if you were an enduser or domainer inquiry, were you:

(a)
purchasing the domain to develop, and build a business on?

(b) purchasing the domain to market for sale at a higher price than you were hoping to purchase it for?

(c) other.

Last edited:
•••
How do you know the fact you being a domainer has nothing to do with it?

If the domain owner looked you up, and determined you weren't worth a response because either he had no intentions of selling, and/or no intentions of selling to you. This is not to sound personal. It is suspect without know what the domain owner did and didn't do, and without knowing the domain.

To help better define if you were an enduser or domainer inquiry, were you:

(a)
purchasing the domain to develop, and build a business on?

(b) purchasing a domain to market for sale at a higher price than you were hoping to purchase it for?

(c) other.

Good point but if it had been a reverse situation I would have responded. I am in the business of responding to inbound and hopefully selling a domain. I personally don't care if it is a domainer, I would tell him I am not interested in wholesaling it but feel free to present me with an offer.

You know..... a professional response of some sort.

•••
Ok, I'm done now everyone. I cannot express my opinion any clearer and at this point I am beating a dead horse. I feel strongly that as an industry we should respond to all inbound inquiries but I also understand that there are a lot more successful domainers than me and if ignoring inbound works for them then I guess that will have to do.

Shrug

•••
Nobody is stopping you from expressing your opinion, its just that its a narrow one which doesn't consider a huge plethora of possible reasons why you haven't had a response.

For example, the domainer (a human) could be ill, or have a sick relative, or be working 80 hours a week in the day job (likely if they work in accounting, as this is peak tax season), or indeed having to finalise the accounts of their own companies.... and all sorts of other things which may make them lash out if they feel like they are being bugged / pestered by something which is way down the priority list at a particular moment in time.

Ultimately though, it is their property and they can do as they wish with it.... and it may annoy you that you can't obtain that piece of property, but that's life.

If the domain is worth very low $$$$ to an end user as you suggested, then why do you even want it? Filling a portfolio of very low $$$$ domains means you need a huge sell through rate to break even on renewals.

Last edited:
•••
The problem with bringing this topic up on a domaining forum is you're going to get domainers jumping in defending domainers.
People like to play the devil's advocate too, but as you can see there are many different points of view being discussed here.
But since you mentioned it is a .ca domain, it is possible that the whois record is not available to you. So I understand that you could not easily escalate with a phone call for example. The contact form may be the only option that was available to you. The seller obviously is aware and the current setup is on purpose.

I look at it as an end user making two inquiries for a domain, supplying all the required contact information. Full name, non generic email and telephone number. Both times I asked to be treated seriously and to please respond.
He probably figured out you're a domainer. The only people I have seen write 'Please respond' were domainers phishing for cheap LLL.com :) In a best-case scenario it signals possible weakness on your end: you don't want to show that you're desperate to own this name.

Guys, I don't understand.... I am sorry I will never get it. The retail public knows nothing about our procedure or how to act or respond.
But you are a domainer (and possibly identified as such), so you know the rules of the game, you know that other domainers are not all desperate, they may be seeking a very motivated end user only. For some reason, this one determined that you were unlikely to be the right buyer, however unfair it may be.
Yes, many domainers are a$$holes too.
Let me be clear: I don't think you deserved that kind of unprofessional response, unless we are not being told the whole story.

I know it's not the kind of support you were expecting from us, but it is a question of perspective too. Have you ever thought that there may be end users out there, who think you are the one who is difficult to deal with. Example. You try to subject a sale to arcane conditions. You too weed out the domainers from the end users... The other party may be a member here or he may have read your posts, and he doesn't like your approach. Unfortunate clash of personalities and I am not making up excuses for him.
I see some kind of irony here: domainers are complaining about being treated like domainers and it's harsh :xf.laugh:

•••
I've been told to "f*ck off" at least two dozen times when doing outbound.... its par for the course.

The OP will annoy lots of people by sending outbound messages if he is doing domaining right.

The thread ultimately boils down to this: "human annoyed by domainer".

If you are a domainer and you aren't annoying people... you aren't doing it right.

I wonder whether if this domainer had replied with "I want $10,000" whether the OP would have started the "I was quoted a ludicrious price from a domainer for a rubbish .ca domain which I really really wanted" thread on namepros.

Thick skin needed in this game, anything can happen... nothing surprises.

Last edited:
•••
I am trying to narrate the story
1. Your 1st mail, you described yourself as serious buyer
2. Domain owner: ok if he is serious he will contact again with serious offer
3. Your 2nd mail without any offer
4. Domain owner: a. Looks like not serious enough b. I will reply but I want to know his seriousness by waiting 2-3 days c. I sispect probably not an enduser
5. Your 3rd mail with insult
6. He replied finally with insult

Moral: Error (both party)

•••
I would have said the same to a car salesman and complained to his manager had he not responded to two inquiries to purchase. What would the manager have said to the employee.

What I said was accurate.... it is poor business management to ignore two inquires from the same person. That shows the person is interested, why not just engage?

Perhaps they felt they didn't want to sell at domainer pricing to another domainer.

•••
I see some kind of irony here: domainers are complaining about being treated like domainers and it's harsh :xf.laugh:

Hilarious! That made me spill my coffee all over my computer table.

•••
Ok, I'm done now everyone. I cannot express my opinion any clearer and at this point I am beating a dead horse. I feel strongly that as an industry we should respond to all inbound inquiries but I also understand that there are a lot more successful domainers than me and if ignoring inbound works for them then I guess that will have to do.

Shrug

Someone didn't reply to you and they absolutely should have because by not doing so they are doing bad business and an injustice to the industry as a whole?
Now you post huge bold words, shouting, to state no-one is listening and you are beating a dead horse because we disagree?

You're not factoring in the other side to this, two parties each with their own valid opinions and right to action things their own way!

Are you really saying you have replied to every single email you have ever gotten? You can't have, but, what if one of those emails you didn't reply to because you thought it was spammy or lowballer, was actually a serious buyer...?

•••
I've got a feeling that the OP may need to change the way that he makes enquires. What he should be opening with is this simple line.....

"How much are you asking for this domain?"

That's it, nothing else.

Second email...

"Hi, did you get my previous message? I'd like to know what your asking price is for this domain? Thanks".

Still no reply..... then phone if you have a number, forget about it if you don't.

Both OP and domain seller are at fault, but OP willing to critique another domainers way of working but not prepared to do some introspection and consider tweaking his own methods.

Straight to the point is the best way to conduct business.

•••
People like to play the devil's advocate
<<<< This guy likes to play devils advocate.

+ these discussions are helpful, and there are lessons to be learned.

The bold, red, large letter rants seem tantrum like, and are unwarranted. If I were to make the entire sentence big, red, and bold, would it come of as a FU to you? maybe. Disagree with that statement or not; it is not meant to offend. Delivery, since emotion is often lost in the written word, is everything. No need to discuss this if you don't want to. As it is a waste of time.

How about feeding us some 🍿 by posting a screenshot of the FU response? 😭
[don't forget to obfuscate the sellers identity if you wish them to remain as John Doe]

Last edited:
•••
LMAO... I should have known this thread was an omen of something to come.

Just over a year ago I received a request on a dn I own. I replied with a price that I knew was on the high side but was very open to negotiating and would happily go much lower. He immediately replied with a rather scathing response including a threat to sue me for TM infrigement (couldn't find one for it or anything even close -- and just checked USPTO + G again).

Two minutes ago I found a new inquiry in my inbox from this same guy on the same name!!!!

I doubt he's mellowed in the last year, so yeaaaah, I'm probably not going to respond. Sure hope he doesn't take my silence as "poor business management"... ( I keed, I keed.... :xf.wink:)

Last edited:
•••
I seldom put a domain name up for sale. Quite often I do get inquiries about selling a name. If I feel that I will no longer use the name I will agree to sell the name. I simply don't have the time or the desire to build each and every project.

Part of the reason I don't buy names with the intention to resell is because of the hassle. People often don't follow through. I have agreed to sell iswish.com, lyco.net and superapp.co and in each case the buyers failed to follow through. I still own these names. The names that I have sold, the buyers were slow in completing the transaction. When I buy a domain I submit the fund within 24 hours and complete all other transfer demands or request expeditiously.

There are names that I have inquired to purchase and have never recieved a response. I usually buy names up for auction at well known auction sites. Some of the names I bid on have a low minimum bid price but their reserves are often ridiculously high.

Occasionally, I find a bargain. I purchased a .com for $375 built a site and generate 400 to 1,000 leads per day for real estate agents and lenders. I was offered $7 per lead. That's $2,800 to $7,000 per day. I also bought another .com for $700 and I built a site. It now has over 125,000 advertisers.

It's easier and less hassle getting $7 to $10 per lead than trying to find a buyer who will pay a profit for a domain I have invested my time and money in acquiring.

I am an end user. By that I mean that I purchase the names with the intent to build out the site. I know how much time, effort and money goes into building and running a website. I own several websites. I get millions of clicks. Some of the sites get very little traffic. A few of the sites get the majority of the clicks.

I get a lot of offers from buyers who's offers are extremely low. It isn't worth my time to deal with them, so I just ignore them.

Here are a couple of names I own that I haven't committed to building a website. CDL.NET, FWB.NET, MEMBERSHIPS.NET and PERSONALS.ORG These are all excellent names that I believe will generate revenue. They are also the names I get multiple offers on.

•••
This is a great thread.
There are many lessons from many points of view.
I want to thank Maple Dots and everyone else that has taken the time to express themselves while keeping it....
Cool ~ Polite ~ Professional
Thanks Jeff

This the way it's supposed to be.

Again, thanks to all.

Peace,
Kenny

•••
LMAO... I should have known this thread was an omen of something to come.

Just over a year ago I received a request on a dn I own. I replied with a price that I knew was on the high side but was very open to negotiating and would happily go much lower. He immediately replied with a rather scathing response including a threat to sue me for TM infrigement (couldn't find one for it or anything even close -- and just checked USPTO + G again).

Two minutes ago I found a new inquiry in my inbox from this same guy on the same name!!!!

I doubt he's mellowed in the last year, so yeaaaah, I'm probably not going to respond. Sure hope he doesn't take my silence as "poor business management"... ( I keed, I keed.... :xf.wink:)

Oh please reply with a high price and start a thread with his response!

•••
I do not ever see a need respond to anyone with expletives. However, I've been on the other side and received the "F U" several times from potential buyers over the past 19 years, and thats when I stop responding. I just walk away. The way I look at it is, if the other party is still responding then there is still a chance that I can sell my domain name. :) However, They way I run my business is that I never change my pricing. Why should I? I am not a wholesaler. I treat every inquiry as an end-user regardless of who they actually are on the other side..

•••
When I get an inquiry that says 'small budget', 'can't afford much', 'don't have much money', 'college student', small startup with limited funds'..i just ignore.

•••
When I get an inquiry that says 'small budget', 'can't afford much', 'don't have much money', 'college student', small startup with limited funds'..i just ignore.

I have turned some of those into 4 figure sales.... :) The last one you list, small budget/limited funds, I politely asked if they ever drummed up some more money to contact me. They did about 6 months later, it was $10,000! Initial offer $50.

I know its annoying but you never know where those sales are! :)

•••
both times begged not to be ignored.

ignoredmeme.jpg

I love you @MapleDots but this is how your third email comes off to me, so your lucky you just got an FU instead of a restraining order! ;)

•••
Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

His loss? How did you conclude that? He well might end up selling it for a much higher price than you were ever willing to offer, and at a time of his choosing.

•••
Don't you just hate being lectured to by anyone. It doesn't really matter if they are right or wrong.

•••
Don't you just hate being lectured to by anyone. It doesn't really matter if they are right or wrong.
You know, you say that, but I don't think you've really thought about it properly... :P

•••
•••
His loss? How did you conclude that? He well might end up selling it for a much higher price than you were ever willing to offer, and at a time of his choosing.

There is also the possibility of a medical problem... or worse, that would stop someone from responding! It happens! Happened to me from both sides (as a seller and as a buyer).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back