Dynadot

Got a "F*ck You" response from a domainer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I made a number of inquiries on domain names lately and am still shocked how many domainers do not respond to an inquiry. Granted I did not open with a price, I always ask what are you looking to get for the domain. I end by saying I am very interested and please do not ignore my inquiry.

In the last month I have sent 6 inquiries and received only two responses and one response ended in a sale. So from 6 domains one was what I would call a great transaction and the other one at least an attempt for a sale.

That said, I have a tendency to send the inquiry at least twice and this month I send the following to 4 of my inquiries. that failed to respond.

Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

Got one response back from a domainer

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Wow.... just wow :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yup that would make sense but one little addition.

When one thinks "I have the domain" that can be a bit liberating, I know that myself but the question is are we domain collectors or domain re-sellers? Can't really be doing a good job if I'm not selling. In the end if you piss off too many people you might be sitting on a lot of beautiful domains with no clients.

For the record, those were not my comments, I just saw them and the quoted post above looks like they were from me, i cut and pasted from the authors blog post as he mentioned this thread.

I can see this from all angles and sides. I have cold called and heard all sorts of insults my entire life. As you know the world is filled with the entire spectrum of people, just because someone is a burger flipper or a millionaire or Trump supporter, there isn’t any reason to insult them or them to insult you. The heirarchy of income and ability of people does not have anything to do with human decency and predictable behavior.

It comes with the territory. There is no reason anybody should lose their cool, and say FU but we all are humans. I hate telemarketers, and get so many that I reconnected a blocking box I bought years back that records and logs all calls, so I can block them. As you know, The whois SEO people, they really are annoying and frequent. I have lost my cool with some of them too, rarely but sometimes when you are inundated with BS or BS inquiries, interruptions when you are occupied on something else, then you lose it.

But rather than cold calling, its more enjoyable “luke warm” call people who express semi interest, but this is end user sales not B2B, wholesale. So this is really cold calling and you are contacting someone who did not want to be bothered, period. I get that. He had no price. He didnt want to hear back. Thats where it should end. The conversation became disfunctional after the first rejection. Right? End of story, good bye, have a nice day. Smile. Next.

The “No’s” in life are some of the best time management responses you will ever receive. “ The No’s don’t hurt” to quote one of my mentors who cold called successfully his entire career and made more money than just about anyone I have encountered. He always moved on. Next.

I had a name with many, many email inquiries. All were time wasting as far as I was concerned. I have recently been getting the more and more offers from domainers whois look ups with low ball pricing. Some are decent offers, most aren’t. Next!

•••
Ok. So for reference, I'm pretty sure MM doesn't always respond in person. And despite his quirky personality, I haven't heard anything like that from him - maybe some strange, dry humor one liner but definitely not an "FU." He has a small team of people responding to domain inquiries. You must have come across as persistent.

No I understood I was dealing with a so so domain. I understood I used his method of communication twice. I simply called him out and showed him that up until that point I was a serious client. At the 3rd contact it was I that blew him off, not the other way around, that is why he responded exactly the way I thought he would. All actions told me he was a rank amateur.

Now I offered a small fortune for a 5 letter .com for a business that has gone bankrupt and they ignored my email. I simply time dated it and said my offer was good for a certain period of time. They did not ask for a sale and I only bothered them once, just in case they were interested.

If I contacted Rick Schwartz on Queen.com I would expect to be ignored but then again he does not have an in your face please buy me page for it either.

A crappy little mispell/plural .ca that has been sitting for sale for 3 years though? What kind of a moron would ignore a sales inquiry and instead fire off an F U?

Seriously I think there should be a rule against letting people sell domains until they have worked as a cashier at McDonald's for a year and have accumulated some people skills. I'm lovin it.......

•••
I'm confused, was the domain Mike Mann's? Or using his persona as an example? By default, Americans can't own .CA domains.

•••
No sorry.... I'm just using his as an example

All the Mike Mann stuff is sarcasm on my part

As in, amateur domainers thinking and saying to each other....

ahh yes thats a Mike Mann Domain, you better ask a million bucks and be sure not to answer any inquiries because it will make become even more valuable. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

•••
Exactly why I explained Mike's personality, it couldn't have been him.

So you pissed off a fellow (?) Canadian. You guys need to split a sixpack of beers (or two) and sort it out. :-D

•••
Exactly why I explained Mike's personality, it couldn't have been him.

So you pissed off a fellow (?) Canadian. You guys need to split a sixpack of beers (or two) and sort it out. :-D

No, what annoyed me was me telling the story to what are supposed to be professional domainers and the amount of support for not responding or saying its justified to respond back FU is just :xf.eek::xf.eek:

Seriously, as someone who is truly in the business with even an ounce of common sense one cannot justify behavior like this. It has nothing to do with the domain at this point. It is the idea of how the domainer responded and how some disillusion domainers on namepros thought yup that was justified.

Lesson here.... one does not bite the hand that feeds you. A client can be a complete dick to me but if he offers me money I will take it. I might ask more because he is a dick but I will do my job.

Forget the domain the extension..... whatever

I'm just floored that anyone on namepros supports those actions or calls them justified. Seriously and they want to be in sales? What the hell are they selling where you can just ignore and piss off potential clients.

Now here is where I said.... some seem to think they own Mike Mann or Rick Schwartz domains.

And I am not talking about fool of a domainer I inquired to but some of the people here who should truly know better than to blow off a potential client. I don't care who you are, I will take your money when offered to me. My satisfaction will be when I put it in the bank, not when I am telling you to f off.

•••
LOL - Personally i think the FU reply was pretty courteous, considering the way you spoke to him.

If that's the way you speak to people you want to do business with, I would get used to that kind of response or no response at all.

•••
LOL - Personally i think the FU reply was pretty courteous, considering the way you spoke to him.

If that's the way you speak to people you want to do business with, I would get used to that kind of response or no response at all.

So I ask to buy your domain twice using your form on your for sale page. You don't respond twice and I tell you that is a bad business motto, I was a serious client. You say f off....

So interesting..... how many domains do you think you will sell like that again?

Again please tell me courteous or misguided?

I must be in dreamland somewhere when a profession that depends on sales can just tell client to f off without even quoting a price.

Then I have to look at all the very successful (sarcasm) domainers who think that is a great way to do business.

Trap3 you're shitting me right?

Last edited:
•••

To quote what a great philosopher once said to me....
Ahhh, now you're getting the hang of it.... :xf.wink:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...

Last edited:
•••
Run a poll here regarding content of your email that you quoted in your OP.
Ask if they thought you were rude or not rude and something in between perhaps.
Something along those lines.

I'm betting 200 bananas that your NOT going to get a positive result.

•••
Run a poll here regarding content of your email that you quoted in your OP.
Ask if they thought you were rude or not rude and something in between perhaps.
Something along those lines.

I'm betting 200 bananas that your NOT going to get a positive result.

I never said I was not rude, it was meant to be rude. I said he was a fool for not attempting the sale. He let his ego get ahead of the possibility of a sale.

Take a poll and ask if that is ok.

If the answer is yes then I'm dealing with idiots and domaining is for fools.

•••
btw - You said in OP you sent 6 emails and got only 2 replies. I would say thats pretty good going !
Thats 1 in 3 !

There's a good chance that 2 in 3 could of gone in the recipients junk folder! So you may in fact of gotten a 100% reply rate from that small sample.

Anyway, in short, regarding your comments and OP. I think there are so many variables you are simply not seeing or/and are your emotions are incapacitating your intellect, for you to be objective here.

IMO - You simply cannot send an email like you did and NOT expect to be either ignored or be treated with hostility by the vast majority of people.

•••
I never said I was not rude, it was meant to be rude. I said he was a fool for not attempting the sale. He let his ego get ahead of the possibility of a sale.

Take a poll and ask if that is ok.

If the answer is yes then I'm dealing with idiots and domaining is for fools.

I rest my case.

•••
btw - You said in OP you sent 6 emails and got only 2 replies. I would say thats pretty good going !
Thats 1 in 3 !

There's a good chance that 2 in 3 could of gone in the recipients junk folder! So you may in fact of gotten a 100% reply rate from that small sample.

Anyway, in short, regarding your comments and OP. I think there are so many variables you are simply not seeing or/and are your emotions are incapacitating your intellect, for you to be objective here.

IMO - You simply cannot send an email like you did and NOT expect to be either ignored or be treated with hostility by the vast majority of people.

Nope read again,

How many times do I have to repeat this crap!!!

I only sent two to him and then told him he was unprofessional.
I sent 6 different domain inquiries and received only two responses from two domainers.

That is a pathetic response for an industry.

Last edited:
•••
Nope read again, I only sent two to him and then told him he was unprofessional.
I sent 6 different domain inquiries and received only two responses from two domainers.

That is a pathetic response for an industry.

Seriously? I think you need to re-read. I totally got what you said.
Do i really need to explain again?

Run a poll on this one too. Q/ Do you think 6 domain inquiries and two responses from two domainers is a ? A) good response rate B) bad response rate C) Average

Then look at the results.

Like i TRIED to explain before. Out of those 6 inquiries, 4 of your emails may of gone to the persons junk folder. So you may of actually gotten a 100% reply rate.

•••
Dude.

1) Your totally missing the point! Ask the other readers of this post. You said you sent 6 emails out and you got 2 replies and you repeatedly say thats a pathetic response rate. 33% isn't pathetic at all. It's good. Because, there are many factors to consider. Emails could of gone to junk folder (many emails do end up there you know, but you keep ignoring that fact for some reason) so they were never seen/read or recipients may just simply not liked your tone or what you had to say. Those 2 things alone could lower your response rate from 100% to 33%.

2) You spoke to this guy. A person you don't know. With an incredible amount of disrespect, and were ridiculously condescending. You can't really argue with his reply at all. You ran the risk of getting exactly that type of response. I'm not saying that his response was professional, but if you look at your emotions running riot on this thread, your going to be in state of hypocrisy soon, if not already.

Last edited:
•••
And instead of berating me because you either simply cannot understand or accept what i am saying.
Run 3 polls. (example wording below)

Q/ What is your response rate for outbound inquiries ?

a) 80-100% b) 60-79% c) 40-59% d) 21-39% e) below 20%

and quote your email and ask

Q/ Was my email rude ?
a) Yes b) No

and again quote your email and ask

Q/ Do you think the response FU was
a) Warranted b) Understandable c) Funny d) Unwarranted

Last edited:
•••
Dude.

1) Your totally missing the point! Ask the other readers of this post. You said you sent 6 emails out and you got 2 replies and you repeatedly say thats a pathetic response rate. 33% isn't pathetic at all. It's good. Because, there are many factors to consider. Emails could of gone to junk folder (many emails do end up there you know, but you keep ignoring that fact for some reason) so they were never seen/read or recipients may just simply not liked your tone or what you have to say. Those 2 things alone could lower your response rate from 100% to 33%.

2) You spoke to this guy. A person you don't know. With an incredible amount of disrespect, and were ridiculously condescending. You can't really argue with his reply at all. You ran the risk of getting exactly that type of response. I'm not saying that his response was professional, but if you look at your emotions running riot on this thread, your going to be in state of hypocrisy soon, if not already.

And you need to stay on point 2 but an accurate representation of it.

How many times do I have to say I could care less what one idiot says.
What I consider stupid is his missed opportunity of a sale on the first 2 emails when he for sure got my inquires., because when I called him out on it he lost his cool, rather than attempt a sale.

Great sales tactic

Now let me ask all the knowledgeable people on the forum if they agree with that!!

I mean really, the knowledgeable one will be laughing their asses off as they are responding courteously and professionally to inquiries while making sales.

How is that for hypocrisy?

Last edited:
•••
You keep repeating yourself, but wont listen to anyone else thats making a valid point! Simply, because you disagree with it. Even when what is stated as fact.

Your really not helping yourself and just proving my point with all the tunnel vision and emotion.
Seriously chill out ;)

Maybe your poor response rate and volatile replies are simply down to your business practice and attitude.

It's not an insult. It's an observation.

•••
In most cases, the first email is a key. When I receive an inquiry, I always "rate" it (how serious is the buyer, what is the sale probability etc.). And my response will depend on mentioned rating. There is 8-pages-long discussion in this thread already, but without an exact (I mean literally _exact_ , with all email headers - or, at least, in indication of email type - john dot doe at gmail or something more serious, timestamps, visibility of senders IP and whether this IP belongs to a residential or business dsl or free public wifi, etc. etc. etc.) it is impossible to make any conclusions or to post motivated opinion on this exact "FU case". I have no personal interest in reviewing an exact first email nor am I asking it to be posted on public forum though. Writing this just to express something that probably was not written earlier in this thread - first email and first impresson is in many cases a very serious factor.

•••
Well then why respond, you have quite clearly told me that a 2 out of 6 response rate is great.

Listen if a domainer does not know how to set up their email and legitimate inquiries go to spam then they deserve what they get. What surprises me is you defending that. I have NEVER had an inquiry go to spam. Are you shitting me!! That is your defense?

OMG everyone on that list needs to either hire a secretary or find something else to do.

•••
In most cases, the first email is a key. When I receive an inquiry, I always "rate" it (how serious is the buyer, what is the sale probability etc.). And my response will depend on mentioned rating. There is 8-pages-long discussion in this thread already, but without an exact (I mean literally _exact_ , with all email headers - or, at least, in indication of email type - john dot doe at gmail or something more serious, timestamps, visibility of senders IP and whether this IP belongs to a residential or business dsl or free public wifi, etc. etc. etc.) it is impossible to make any conclusions or to post motivated opinion on this exact "FU case". I have no personal interest in reviewing an exact first email nor am I asking it to be posted on public forum though. Writing this just to express something that probably was not written earlier in this thread - first email and first impresson is in many cases a very serious factor.

I dont care what impression you are implying.... please email me from my website and ask me to price a domain. I'm not worrying about if you impress me or anything similar. I will tell you xxx.xx would you like to close today.

That is how you at least attempt a sale. I cannot tell by an ip address or any perceived notion if the potential client has money or not. What matters is he inquired and could possibly lead to a sale.

•••
Are you asking me to repeat myself yet again ?

I have stated my opinion, backed up with fact.
You've stated your opinion, backed up with toys being thrown out of your pram. Sorry.

Run the polls. And just see. What is the harm ?

And, it depends (re: junk email). Some people get so much junk, genuine email does get junked or deleted by accident.

You make too many poor assumptions when balancing your probability.
Again, sorry. But i think from all your posts thats quite clear.

•••
Somebody emailed me once he is a college student with no money but his email arrived from intranet (IP) of a fortune 100 company where I later found he is a Vice President. One should always review everything possible in connection with any particular inquiry :)

Last edited:
•••
And actually the other day i made a sale on Afternic. The email confirmation of this went to my junk folder !
I only spotted it by chance !!

My email client is set to allow afternic as a trusted sender, but it still went to junk.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back