Dynadot

offers Google just offered me $300K! ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

Now, before you start thinking "GREAT!!!!", not so fast.

Here is my dilemma.

I regged an AdSense-related .COM domain about 6 months ago. I am not willing to divulge the domain right now, but it's a pretty damn good one.

I bought it and parked it at Fabulous in my account.

About 2 months ago, I got an offer through Fabulous for $100 by some random person named Mike (no last name given) who had a Gmail email account. I refused the offer as it is worth more than that to me, even though it's undeveloped. I'd rather just keep it an never get an offer for it to be honest with you rather than let it go for that little.

So anyway, tonight I got home and checked my email. Fabulous sent me notice that I go another offer for the domain. This is the info they gave me...

Offer Details
Domain: XXXXXXXX.com
Name: Rose Hagan
Email: [email protected]
Offering Price: $300000.00
Additional Comments: Google Inc.

Now at first, I thought, hey, it's obviously a bogus offer. I mean, not only is the price way too high but it seems odd that Google would want to buy a domain for so much money and contact me through Fabulous instead of by a more legit means like US mail.

But I thought that maybe Google did make me an offer for it but added too many zeros by accident. Maybe they meant to input 3000 or 300.

I checked out the email address ([email protected]) and it is the email address that Google uses in their whois for some domains they own. So it is in fact a Google email address.

My newest thought, though, is that some wise-a$$ decided to cause some trouble hoping that I would contact Google at the email address and then possibly get into legal trouble with them for attempting to accept an offer for an AdSense domain. Who knows? Could be. I did a search for Rose Hagan and found that she is the senior trademark counsel at Google.

As you may or may not know, Google owns the SM for AdSense but I don't think that they own full SM or TM for it since Adsense.com (an advertising agency) has been around way before Google AdSense was even publicly released. Whether I am right or wrong, I have no clue, just my speculation. If I am right, then they cannot easily bully the domain away from me as I could have registered it in relation to AdSense.com advertising agency, not Google's AdSense. I could be sorely mistaken, though.

So, if this were you, what would you do? Would you ignore it? Why?

Would you follow through and send the email to Rose Hagan at [email protected] even though it i smost likely not her direct email address? Why?

I just don't know what to do. While I know the price is unbelievable, something is telling me that I'd be a fool to follow through. However, the other part of me is saying I'd be a fool to NOT follow through. Hoping that some here might be able to help me figure out what I should do. The more I think about it, the more confused I get as what to do.

The more I think about it now, the more I think FOGEDDABOUDIT! but I would still like to hear from others on this for some good conversation if for nothing else. :)

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, thats quite an offer...its always hard to tell if these things are real though, because a lot of times you'll get an email from paypal saying you need to update your account info, when really its not really from them. However, it looks exactly the same as a regular email from paypal. If I were you, I'd reply back, but don't give them any info until they can prove themselves legit.

•••
This sounds really suspicious to me.

Why don't you tell us the domain you have?

If the domain sounds really like google's adsense, then this offer is probable.

If its too far away, well, this may very well be bogus.

Drop them a mail, and hope that its true ;D

•••
Hmmm, I am new to domaining, but this sounds kind of fishy to me. I would be cautious. You might try to contact google to ask if this is a legitimate offer. You dont have to say anything about accepting an offer. I would phrase it like you were afraid someone was impersonating Google and that you wanted to make sure Google was aware of it. They cant sue you for simply owning a domain name can they? As long as you dont say anything about wanting to accept their offer, I think you will be legally safe. Anyone have any other opinions about that?

•••
angele803 said:
Hmmm, I am new to domaining, but this sounds kind of fishy to me. I would be cautious. You might try to contact google to ask if this is a legitimate offer. You dont have to say anything about accepting an offer. I would phrase it like you were afraid someone was impersonating Google and that you wanted to make sure Google was aware of it. They cant sue you for simply owning a domain name can they? As long as you dont say anything about wanting to accept their offer, I think you will be legally safe. Anyone have any other opinions about that?

Actually they can sue you for owning a domain if the name is trademarked by them

•••
SrbShooter said:
angele803 said:

Actually they can sue you for owning a domain if the name is trademarked by them

Yes they can of course.
However, its unlikely that they will want you to pay as that will make them seem petty and lose reputation.

Its probably it will do like what Microsoft previously did, give the guy xbox or something in exchange for the ownership of the domain.

•••
I am not cool with displaying the domain on a forum right now just in case it is a legit offer. Google may not want me blabbing it to everyone that they paid thousands of dollars for a domain before it is sold. If I were them, I sure would feel this way.

Last edited:
•••
SrbShooter said:

Wrong :)

Basically, your answer misses the point of TM's in general... ie Adsense.com isn't Google, and just do a quick search to see all the domains that are registered with "Google's TM's" as their name...

-----------

In any event, it doesn't match Google's MO to offer such a large amount without offering $1k or something first (Ask slaughterbeck, et al).

However, they are in the "purchase" mode as can be attested to by many-a-speculative-domainer. Could be?

Gut reaction as to one possible course of action (Not my advice on what to do in this situation necessarily):
Write back, include the original message in reply, and suggest that they start the process at escrow.com . Let things develop as they will.

-Allan

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Wrong :)

Basically, your answer misses the point of TM's in general... ie Adsense.com isn't Google, and just do a quick search to see all the domains that are registered with "Google's TM's" as their name...

-----------

In any event, it doesn't match Google's MO to offer such a large amount without offering $1k or something first (Ask slaughterbeck, et al).

However, they are in the "purchase" mode as can be attested to by many-a-speculative-domainer. Could be?

Gut reaction as to one possible course of action (Not my advice on what to do in this situation necessarily):
Write back, include the original message in reply, and suggest that they start the process at escrow.com . Let things develop as they will.

-Allan

I didn't say they could in this situation, I just said they could in general (ok i didn't say that but thats what I meant)

•••
Thanks for the replies. I'll be up for a while tonight. Hope to hear from many more of you.

Last edited:
•••
well....I would certainly follow through and make the contact,,except the offer of over a half million dollars for sure,But why should they offer you $300,000?? They can pay $1,300..file a UDRP and get the name.Two corps i know for a fact that don't mess around with TM infringment are Yahoo and Google,I know of a couple of people who were asked firmly by google to turn thier DN over to them or pay the consequences,They can file a civil lawsuit aswell,Money is power,and they have a bunch of it,I don't know what the name is,but if it is anyway tied to google TMs,Then i don't see them offering you anything but a chance to turn the name over and avoid a civil lawsuit.But then again,I don't know the name in question.

•••
•••
SrbShooter said:
I didn't say they could in this situation, I just said they could in general (ok i didn't say that but thats what I meant)

Well, I understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:
•••
ManicGirl said:
I'm surprised you even got an offer on a squatted name. Google, does in fact own the mark to the word "Adsense" despite the agency you mentioned.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78312926

Being the above ^^^^ There no question in my mind now,They aint paying you for that name,trust me,I don't know the agenda behind the e-mail,But i would contact Rose Hagan just to be sure-lol..weirder things have happened i guess.

•••
ManicGirl said:
I'm surprised you even got an offer on a squatted name.

Well, that's what I thought when I first got the offer.

As for using the "S" word, thanks, but no thanks. He, he. LOL>

I di din fact plan on developing it but then an expert beat me to the punch and not I feel lik eit ia a lost cause. I am not an expert but I could probably run a site like that .

As for you guys that really want to know the domain, I still stand firm. I just don't want to publicize it here.

Last edited:
•••
ManicGirl said:
I'm surprised you even got an offer on a squatted name. Google, does in fact own the mark to the word "Adsense" despite the agency you mentioned.

The information above has Rose's phone number, and address. One way to find out, call her!!! She will either say "yes, the offer is true". Or, where do you want me to mail you a copy of the lawsuit?!"

Frank

•••
ManicGirl said:

OT.

BTW, ManicGirl, you look so much like an ex-girlfriend of mine that it is uncanny. UNCANNY, I say!!!!! I mean, assuming your avitar is a picture of you. Unbelieveable.

===========================================

Back on-topic...

I wonder what this means...

Transformed into a National Application: No

knarfmusik said:
She will either say "yes, the offer is true". Or, where do you want me to mail you a copy of the lawsuit?!"Frank

Ummm, yeah. That's what I am afraid of. Otherwise I'd just contact them without posting here first.

Last edited:
•••
•••
The more I think about it the more I think, why would Google send me an email through Fabulous on a Sunday night to buy a domain for $300K?

I mean, surely someone who has the authority to make offers on domains on Google Inc.'s behalf is not foced to work on a Sunday night.

It's gotta be a bogus offer.

ManicGirl said:
Was her name Jessica? Many people have told me I look like a Jessica they know. I only mention this because if you really knew how many times someone has come up to me thinking I was Jessica, you wouldn't believe me.

You might find this useful -

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/1800_1893.htm

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look.

And no, her name was not Jessica. But you do look like a Jessica. Not one I know, but just in general. I think it's interesting how some poeple look like thier names. Jessica is a very pretty name. My 2 fav girl names are Jessica and Jennifer.

WOW. I just saw your name is Jennifer AFTER I wrote this. Not flirting with you. Actually, I was if you wanted me to, though. LOL Nice name, Jennifer!!! :xf.love: LOL.

My ex-GF's name that looks like you is Davina.

Last edited:
•••
wow man

well, you can reply back to the domain and ask them.

the fact that they do reply mean that's it's gonna be real.

so you wait from them to send the money before transferring it.

haha. well. how about free dinner by you to the whole forum member ?
haha

•••
rome2ng said:
haha. well. how about free dinner by you to the whole forum member ?
haha

Sounds good. If I understand you correctly, you're buying, right? LOL. I'll have a fillet mignon, thank you!!!

Last edited:
•••
Accept the offer via Fabulous and see what happens. Ask Mike at Fab to act as intermediary - what have you got to lose?

•••
Well, I'd say just give it a try and reply to the offer. Nothing to lose!

•••
EbookLover said:
The more I think about it the more I think, why would Google send me an email through Fabulous on a Sunday night to buy a domain for $300K?

I mean, surely someone who has the authority to make offers on domains on Google Inc.'s behalf is not foced to work on a Sunday night.
Who said anything about being "forced" to work?

Reply to the email please.

•••
Well, that's funny that you mention that. I did not know that Fabulous did this. Furthermore, the email does not state anything about it. Heck, I don;t even know what Fabulous's commission is on sold domains. Maybe I will contat them to see what they can do for me, if anything.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back