IT.COM

advice How to negotiate the lowest price? (Buying a domain)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I contacted an owner of a domain that I'd like to buy (via a whois email on the domain). My budget for this domain is max. $1,000 but of course I'd like to get it for the lowest possible price. The owner insists on me making him an offer. In his first email he told me that they are actually not looking to sell the domain, but I can make an offer. I replied to him asking for a price for how much they'd be willing to sell it. He replied: My previous email was clear - send an offer.

How would you guys proceed now? How much should I offer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I contacted an owner of a domain that I'd like to buy (via a whois email on the domain). My budget for this domain is max. $1,000 but of course I'd like to get it for the lowest possible price. The owner insists on me making him an offer. In his first email he told me that they are actually not looking to sell the domain, but I can make an offer. I replied to him asking for a price for how much they'd be willing to sell it. He replied: My previous email was clear - send an offer.

How would you guys proceed now? How much should I offer?
Without knowing the exact domain or many details I'd say make like a $900 offer and if it's too low go up to $1,000. The reason I think $900 is because the seller is most likely to counter a 1K offer so by offering $900 he can feel like he got more money if you meet him at $1,000. However, also if they are not looking to sell the domain or are using it for a company they might be looking for xx,xxx. So yeah try to get it cheap if you can't try to find another domain in your budget.

•••
Without knowing the quality of the name (don’t post it here) its hard to advise. 1K is very low for any good domain. Most average caliber names are priced 2 to 5 K.

If you are after something premium you need to make a list of other possibilities because most names will be out of your budget.

You can offer the 1K if you really want it and if he ignores move onto other alternatives.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you guys for your advice.

•••
Personally, I'd do $350 (lower would seem as not serious enough), then $550, then $750, then finally $1k. However, like it was mentioned already, without knowing the domain it's hard to know what would be a decent offer.

•••
Thank you for your advice. I'll try that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back