NameSilo

GoDaddy Accused of Domain Name Front Running

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Via DomainNews:

Bill Hartzer reported that GoDaddy might be engaging in front running of domain names. This means that the domain name searched via GoDaddy are being purchased by the registrar, preventing this way a registrant from acquiring it at any other registrar other than GoDaddy.

A guy, named Zen Savona claimed that he searched a domain to see if it is available.The guy decided not to register the domain name that day and came back three days later,when he realised that the domain he wanted to register has been registered by GoDaddy.

In response to the allegation, GoDaddy's Vice President of Product Development Domains,Rich Merdinger, said:

“Go Daddy does not and never has participated in domain name “front-running” – the act of registering domain names after a registration search is done.”

Network Solutions was also caught in 2008 while front registering domain names.In their defense Network Solutions said back then :

"I'd like to clarify what we are doing. In response to customer concerns about Domain Name Front Running (domains being registered by someone else just after they have conducted a domain name search), we have implemented a security measure to protect our customers. The measure will kick in when a customer searches for an available domain name at our website, but decides not to purchase the name immediately after conducting the search.

After the search ends, we will put the domain name on reserve. During this reservation period, the name is not active and we do not monetize the traffic on these domains. If a customer searches for the domain again during the next 4 days at networksolutions.com, the domain will be available to register. If the domain name is not purchased within 4 days, it will be released back to the registry and will be generally available for registration.

This protection measure provides our customers the opportunity to register domains they have previously searched without the fear that the name will be already taken through Front Running.You are correct that we are trying to take an arrow out of the quiver of the tasters. As you know, domain tasters are the largest Front Runners. Due to no fault of registrars, Front Runners purchase search data from Internet Service Providers and/or registries and then taste those names. Some folks may not agree with our approach, but we are trying to prevent this malicious activity from impacting our customers."

Zen Savona,the guy who made the accusation against GoDaddy ,hasn't provided any proof until now that GoDaddy participated in domain name “front-running”.

What is your thoughts on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If I had a nickle for every time someone said a domain they had searched was later taken...

•••
I don't use godaddy to look if a domain is available, because it is too slow. But I kinda fill the same thing with name.com, actually it happened several times that a domain I actually saw was available, was taken a few days later.

•••
I don't use godaddy to look if a domain is available, because it is too slow. But I kinda fill the same thing with name.com, actually it happened several times that a domain I actually saw was available, was taken a few days later.

Oddly I've had the exact same thing happen to me at Name.com. Maybe this is an industry wide thing?

•••
•••
•••
Network Solutions was also caught in 2008 while front registering domain names.

Excuse me. "Also" caught?

What bias! XD

•••
•••
It is likely someone else is also searching for a name you are searching for ... but with the dirty practices in this industry, I wouldn't put it past many registrars.

•••
I'd say most of the big players in the industry are involved in dirty practices like this, although they won't openly admit to it for obvious reasons. :)

•••
Via DomainNews:
Bill Hartzer reported that GoDaddy might be engaging in front running of domain names. This means that the domain name searched via GoDaddy are being purchased by the registrar, preventing this way a registrant from acquiring it at any other registrar other than GoDaddy.

A guy, named Zen Savona claimed that he searched a domain to see if it is available. The guy decided not to register the domain name that day and came back three days later, when he realised that the domain he wanted to register has been registered by GoDaddy.

Is godaddy's name mentioned in the whois as the registrant for the domain in question? :-/

If so then there's the proof of this accusation! :guilty:

--EDIT--
If godaddy is front running domains maybe it's because these domains had the word 'Elephant' in it!

:bingo:

http://bobparsonselephantkiller.com

Last edited:
•••
Unsubstantiated allegations can get out of hand and go viral before you know it.

This instance shows just how easily anyone can grab a headline and create "news".

Good thing that GoDaddy were quick to respond

•••
I'd say most of the big players in the industry are involved in dirty practices like this, although they won't openly admit to it for obvious reasons. :)

*Not a big player just a LONG time observer* :)

When you look you will find..

I Looked some years back ...

Threads like these pop up periodically when people look and find...

•••
I checked a domain with Godaddy back in 2007, it was registered within 2 days. Then I checked the domain, which went to a godaddy parked page, and they extended the registration by 5 years.

•••
There is dirty stuff in our industry but it's almost impossible to find a decent reg nowadays. If registrars did steal customers ideas they would end up with a pile of junk domains.

network solutions was a different story, back then you could taste domains for 5 days without limitations so they would register and 'lock' the name for 5 days before releasing it - for your convenience. Interestingly they would lock the .com but not the .net

Complaints like that are not rare but many people don't realize that domain names can be incorrectly reported as available due to a bug, or the registrar not doing live checks.

•••
Yea, I do also think godaddy would not do that, just think about the auction service they offer. I always see there domains getting sold for $x,xxx. So they can simply get domains from their auction rather than hand regs which probably were in their auction a few months before :p

•••
I actually think it is a both/and situation. Some registrars (maybe even the big ones) probably participate in this and claim what they perceive as top picks, and it's also likely someone else has thought of it. Either way, I have found it's best to make the decision soon. In my experience, if I thought it was a find (at least for .coms) and didn't take it, it was almost always gone within 48 hours.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back