IT.COM

Gene Editing and CRISPR domains!

Spaceship
Watch

Alrightalright

Impact
Any thoughts on potential value of these types of domains in the future?
I think with CRISPR and other gene editing technology making such big waves there may be some value in gene related domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hope big things for dna control dotORG , im in the new and praying mode lol

I envy owner of dnac though.

•••
Genetic testing and dnadiagnostics is certainly on the rise and these domains will boom but the issue is whether you'll be able to sell them off. Budgets in the biological sciences are really tight so unless you have a catchy name, it's be difficult to sell them, especially for the prices domainers want. Scientists would much rather add a dash and/or a number than spend thousands on a name. Private companies on the other hand might focus on something that's much more brandable.

•••
Question: I own gene editing DOT io; what would be a reasonable end user price today? I'm not desperate to sell but wouldn't mind "cleaning up" my portfolio (if this belongs in appraisal thread I apologise in advance)

•••
SM-Living-Gene-com-Logo.png

also GeneticQ was just BP accepted . im sure these things wont sell like hot cakes, but hey just one good one will suffice.

Not sure on your .io question @Beep.IM , sorry.

•••
•••
There are only 1,661 registered domain names that contain CRISPR. "crispr" word is registered with 141 extensions.
I think it hasn't yet reached its potential. This niche might be a long term investment for patient domain investors. @Bob Hawkes mentioned some good points above.
Dofo Trends Page for "CRISPR" keywordtrends-crispr.png

•••
To me CRISPR in .io, which sold for less, is a better acquisition.

I agree. It will be a long waiting game, but I only have one.

EdibleCrispr.com

•••
That is a very nice combination gene + life. Congratulations! Is it standard or premium renewal, @Jimmysun
Hi Bob, thank you, It's the only one related to gene science I got, it is standard renewal, the registrar I am using is about only $8 per year.

•••
•••
Don't know if CRISPR will pan out as the official name for all things gene related.

Having said that, I handregged GeneEdition//com earlier this year during those handreg competitions we had then. Was surprised that it was even available.

EarlyEdition.com sold this week which I will take as a comparative to GeneEdition as I see it along the same lines of appealing to an online publication/magazine (on genetics) as well as to gene editing startups

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
interesting article

More accurate than CRISPR? Prime editing is the latest tool in the gene editing toolbox - Science News - ABC News

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
•••
You guys are missing the main thrust of CRISPR. It is indeed CRISPR GENE EDITING. BUT, the value is when the editing takes place, and the end product is "Gene Therapy".

•••
GeneOnDemand dot com
Genestec dot com

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I don't understand registering these. It is going to be many decades until the technology is available for small startups with less than a million dollars seed funding. Right now you need massive resources.

•••
Concepts around gene editing, designer babies etc might do better than the specific tools like crispr, cas9, vector etc. The $100 genome is pretty much here now so everyone can get their genes sequenced. In a few years it will be $10 per genome and it will be just part of any blood test.
I totally agree

•••
If anyone is interested I have some synbio names on auction right now ending today.
See External Domain and Website Sales on namepros.

•••
It appears the exact match acronym CRISPR in .io sold for $509 at Park IO (14 bids).

https://park.io/auctions/view/crispr.io

Does anyone know of other sales of the exact match acronym CRISPR in other extensions? (other than the sale in .com for more than $25,000)?

•••
I regged gene/editing dot io a week ago and was shocked. Also tech advances exponentially not linearly so that means itll be a decade at most before it really booms not several decades...

Btw I deliberately did not reg anything with “Crispr” in it I assumed its a trademark without searching but I may be wrong hence my focus on gene/editing

I believe that since the scientific acronym CRISPR was first published and used in multiple scientific papers publicly available that the simple acronym is not available to be trademarked (same as DNA for example). Some combination would be of another word plus. I might be wrong but that is my understanding.

The domain name CRISPR in com sold for more than $25,000 several years ago and is held by a Massachusettes dermatologist who also invests in domains. A branch of DuPont hold several others. I have it in the .science extension (and a number of others). It sold in .io a month or so ago.

•••
I wonder if generic terms, at least the ones they can afford, might find a market more in the space for industry associations, consultants, think tanks and policy groups, convention domains, journal or book sites. That is my rationale for holding names like CRISPR in review and space for example, hoping to get low $$$ for them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back