Dynadot

Gene Editing and CRISPR domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Alrightalright

Impact
Any thoughts on potential value of these types of domains in the future?
I think with CRISPR and other gene editing technology making such big waves there may be some value in gene related domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just looked (NameBio) at DNA sales from 2018:
  • DNAcode (com) $25,000
  • DNA (io) $7022
  • DNAtests (org) $4088
  • aDNA (com) $2918
  • gadgetsDNA (com) $2500 {this makes not much sense to me, but maybe it means figurative sense}
  • DNAstudy (com) $1007
  • HealthAndDNA (com) $502
  • DNA (life) $488
  • DNAmotors (com) $403 {really a nanotech sale as opposed to gene editing}
  • DNAkey (com) $400
  • DNAclub (com) $298
and a few lower value sales.

Bob

I am the seller of DNAcode.com

Still have DNAcodes.com, GenomeCode.com

Last edited:
•••
I am glad someone started this thread! Thanks @Alrightalright

While many applications will either happen in a long time, or never due to ethical or technical issues, already there is huge research/development/trials activity. CRISPR was named the science breakthrough of the year in 2015. Large amounts were spent in the patent battle between the east and west coast US research groups. A superb book for those wanting to learn more about CRISPR is by Dr. Jennifer Doudna A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution.

I think the price has never been released, but CRISPR.com, according to GoValue comparator sales data, sold for more than $25,000 to a medical professional who also has an impressive domain portfolio. Here is an article on that. https://www.statnews.com/2017/04/27/crispr-com-domain/

Interestingly Estibot continues to totally misinterpret the word thinking it is Crisp + r, so Estibot valuations are meaningless on this one (I know some of you will say on any word, let's not start that debate, again!).

A single large agriculture related company own a number of the other more valuable domain names and I presume they are not, or never will be, for sale. That reminds us that CRISPR applications are not only in medicine. The extensions are gone in most of the country codes and meaningful match new extensions.

Over a year ago I was able to acquire CRISPR.science and I regard it as a great name, even though there have not yet been many significant sales in the .science extension. I have the domain renewed for another 5 years, and if it has not sold by then will definitely renew it. I have it for sale, but fear I am not asking enough for it, keep debating selling now vs holding long term. I was asking more than currently.

The big companies in gene editing (see The Motley Fool review of three of them) already have websites of course. I suspect that the immediate market will be more for research consortiums, consultants, a few startups, etc. who will pay $$$ range but not more. I also hold the exact match CRISPR in a number of other extensions (including .review, .pw professional web, .website, .gdn global domain name, etc.) hoping for a modest sale.

While biotechnology related, I think the markets for the genetic ancestry and forensics etc. kind of domain names will be separate from the medical related applications of gene editing. I do see both being hot and in fact picked this as one of 8 hot domain name areas in my January predictions (read here). Whether domain names incorporating DNA rather than CRISPR itself will be more likely to sell is possible, partly because people often get spelling of CRISPR wrong.

Sorry this has been so long! Yes, CRISPR will be important and already is.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Eight of my domains below
BIOMEDENGINEER.COM
BIOMEDENGINEERING.COM
DNASEQUENCING.COM
DNASEQUENCE.COM
DNASEQUENCER.COM
DNAMAP.COM
GENESEQUENCING.COM
SEQUENCING.NET
have been selected for NamesCon 2019 Live and Online auction.

•••
Interesting emerging-tech thread...

I'm only holding a few names in the "gene" vertical (and nothing at all in Crispr), as I'm not too familiar with the tech:

(In dot-com) my names are -

GenomeTransplantation
GeneticPrinting
GenomicsForum
Gengineered

•••
I own 100+ Domains related to DNA Sequencing including

DNASEQUENCING.COM
DNA-SEQUENCING.COM
DNASEQUENCING.ORG
DNASEQUENCE.COM
DNASEQUENCER.COM
DNAMAP.COM
DNATECHNOLOGY.COM
DNALABORATORY.COM
DNAL.COM
DNAZ.COM
DNABOND.COM
DNAPROBE.COM
DNAASSAY.COM
DNAARRAY.COM
BIOMOLECULES.COM
HUMANGENOME.COM
GENESEQUENCING.COM
EXOMESEQUENCING.COM
RNASEQUENCING.COM
WHOLEEXOMESEQUENCING.COM

Looking for end user.

Thanks,

Dave Bhatia

•••
•••
Gene Editing is the cover story of TIME dated Jan 14 2019 !!!

•••
I hope big things for dna control dotORG , im in the new and praying mode lol

I envy owner of dnac though.

I have DNAL.com and DNAZ.com

•••
•••
Not much activity in this thread of late. I don't think it has been pointed out but there were a couple of related sales listed on NameBio in 2019
  1. CRISPRCas9 (com) sold for $1450
  2. CRISPRTech (com) for $744
Earlier CRISPR (io) had sold for $509 and some time ago CRISPR (com) apparently sold for $75,000 although not in NameBio. Still a pretty light record of sales, although of course a number with DNA, genetic, genome, etc. in them.

I was lucky to pick up the single word genotyped (com) as a hand reg today (it had been registered on and off during last 10 years, perhaps by someone reading this thread.

About a week ago a 5 year partnership between the co-discoverer of CRISPR (Jennifer Doudna) and industry giant Glaxo to seek solutions in cancer, the immune system and neuroscience.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rs-to-join-with-glaxo-in-hunt-for-novel-drugs

I still think at some point the right domain names in this area of biotechnology will have value, but it is hard determining how specialized they will be and when that will happen.

What do other people think?

Bob

•••
Overnight the Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to the co-discoverers of CRISPR. It could easily have won in medicine, but clearly some applications of CRISPR are outside the medical field. Well deserved to two amazing women - the first time two women have won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in same year.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/chemistry/

•••
Concepts around gene editing, designer babies etc might do better than the specific tools like crispr, cas9, vector etc. The $100 genome is pretty much here now so everyone can get their genes sequenced. In a few years it will be $10 per genome and it will be just part of any blood test.

•••
I don't understand registering these. It is going to be many decades until the technology is available for small startups with less than a million dollars seed funding. Right now you need massive resources.

With respect @Victoria897, I don't think this is accurate. Kits based on CRISPR-Cas9 can be bought by mail order for about $100. I don't think they should be sold, but they are (they operate on bacteria). Yes, to do anything at all human health related you need big startup bucks. But CRISPR potentially can do more than that. One reason that CRISPR interest has exploded is not only can it do incredible things (precisely cut and edit DNA strands) but also it is a relatively inexpensive and even somewhat technically easy thing to do.

I have a lot of ethical concern, but starter kits at very low prices are available right now to anyone. I am NOT promoting the idea these should even be for sale. This Scientific American article looks at both availability and ethical concerns.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...spr-kits-allow-absolutely-anyone-to-hack-dna/

•••
Victoria is right to an extent.

I have been in this area for a few years (with Crispr domains) and have had NO offers for any.
Most I have dropped and sold at auction. Had crisprkit(s).com and tried to sell to the-odin but even he knew that direct navigation is dead and was totally uninterested. In most if not all respects, you have some Very intelligent people working in this field.

I have still have some genomics and synbio names but I think it will be a long time before I sell them for good prices.

Above All things, you have to remember that this tech is where computers and software were in the mid/late 70s. Its a long wait before this really gets going. Once quantum computing (still being developed) is in the picture then the synbio world will have its day and it will change Everything.

•••
Thanks a lot for the two articles, @MrAcidic

I also noticed this one published a few days ago that covers 10 CRISPR companies that have raised reasonable amounts of cash and are projected to possibly grow strongly in coming year.

https://explorebiotech.com/10-crispr-startups-to-watch-2018/

ps One of them is Synthego (based in Silicon Valley) - for those on Twitter, I find their Twitter account one of the best to follow to keep up with recent happenings in CRISPR and related science/technology. https://twitter.com/Synthego

•••
TIME Gene Editing.jpg

•••
I just looked (NameBio) at DNA sales from 2018:
  • DNAcode (com) $25,000
  • DNA (io) $7022
  • DNAtests (org) $4088
  • aDNA (com) $2918
  • gadgetsDNA (com) $2500 {this makes not much sense to me, but maybe it means figurative sense}
  • DNAstudy (com) $1007
  • HealthAndDNA (com) $502
  • DNA (life) $488
  • DNAmotors (com) $403 {really a nanotech sale as opposed to gene editing}
  • DNAkey (com) $400
  • DNAclub (com) $298
and a few lower value sales.

Bob

•••
•••
what's the thoughts on that price?

While the science purist in me likes the name since it is really the Cas9 way to implement CRISPR that made the big leap possible, CRISPR already is commonly misspelled and adding Cas9 makes it even more difficult for general public. I could see a company that offered technical services re CRISPR or a research group liking the name, but I personally would hesitate a long while paying that much when I consider probability of sale, likely holding period and the likely end price. But who knows. To me CRISPR in .io, which sold for less, is a better acquisition.

Thanks so much for the stats re CRISPR domains, @Kemal G. I agree that in general it is a long term hold probably for most names. I am sure there will be a market here, if one waits, but less sure whether that market will draw heavily on the acronym CRISPR, the acronym DNA, or more general wording.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
This area of science is fascinating to follow, but it will take time. I have:

BaseEditing.com

BioEquality.com

GeneEditing.co

GeneEditing.in

GeneEditing.info

GeneEditing.us

GeneEditing.xyz

SomaticGeneEditing.com

•••
•••
I picked up DNAchains.com a while ago...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back