IT.COM

Gene Editing and CRISPR domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Alrightalright

Impact
Any thoughts on potential value of these types of domains in the future?
I think with CRISPR and other gene editing technology making such big waves there may be some value in gene related domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have Crisprtrial.com myself

•••
Got these two several months ago...

CrisprEditing.org

HumanGeneEditing.org

There is value , it’s jusy a waiting game .

•••
I don't understand registering these. It is going to be many decades until the technology is available for small startups with less than a million dollars seed funding. Right now you need massive resources.

•••
I regged gene/editing dot io a week ago and was shocked. Also tech advances exponentially not linearly so that means itll be a decade at most before it really booms not several decades...

Btw I deliberately did not reg anything with “Crispr” in it I assumed its a trademark without searching but I may be wrong hence my focus on gene/editing

Last edited:
•••
Concepts around gene editing, designer babies etc might do better than the specific tools like crispr, cas9, vector etc. The $100 genome is pretty much here now so everyone can get their genes sequenced. In a few years it will be $10 per genome and it will be just part of any blood test.

•••
Concepts around gene editing, designer babies etc might do better than the specific tools like crispr, cas9, vector etc. The $100 genome is pretty much here now so everyone can get their genes sequenced. In a few years it will be $10 per genome and it will be just part of any blood test.
I totally agree

•••
The domain CRISPR/io is actually currently on auction at Park/io if anyone is interested.

•••
I am glad someone started this thread! Thanks @Alrightalright

While many applications will either happen in a long time, or never due to ethical or technical issues, already there is huge research/development/trials activity. CRISPR was named the science breakthrough of the year in 2015. Large amounts were spent in the patent battle between the east and west coast US research groups. A superb book for those wanting to learn more about CRISPR is by Dr. Jennifer Doudna A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution.

I think the price has never been released, but CRISPR.com, according to GoValue comparator sales data, sold for more than $25,000 to a medical professional who also has an impressive domain portfolio. Here is an article on that. https://www.statnews.com/2017/04/27/crispr-com-domain/

Interestingly Estibot continues to totally misinterpret the word thinking it is Crisp + r, so Estibot valuations are meaningless on this one (I know some of you will say on any word, let's not start that debate, again!).

A single large agriculture related company own a number of the other more valuable domain names and I presume they are not, or never will be, for sale. That reminds us that CRISPR applications are not only in medicine. The extensions are gone in most of the country codes and meaningful match new extensions.

Over a year ago I was able to acquire CRISPR.science and I regard it as a great name, even though there have not yet been many significant sales in the .science extension. I have the domain renewed for another 5 years, and if it has not sold by then will definitely renew it. I have it for sale, but fear I am not asking enough for it, keep debating selling now vs holding long term. I was asking more than currently.

The big companies in gene editing (see The Motley Fool review of three of them) already have websites of course. I suspect that the immediate market will be more for research consortiums, consultants, a few startups, etc. who will pay $$$ range but not more. I also hold the exact match CRISPR in a number of other extensions (including .review, .pw professional web, .website, .gdn global domain name, etc.) hoping for a modest sale.

While biotechnology related, I think the markets for the genetic ancestry and forensics etc. kind of domain names will be separate from the medical related applications of gene editing. I do see both being hot and in fact picked this as one of 8 hot domain name areas in my January predictions (read here). Whether domain names incorporating DNA rather than CRISPR itself will be more likely to sell is possible, partly because people often get spelling of CRISPR wrong.

Sorry this has been so long! Yes, CRISPR will be important and already is.

Last edited:
•••
I don't understand registering these. It is going to be many decades until the technology is available for small startups with less than a million dollars seed funding. Right now you need massive resources.

With respect @Victoria897, I don't think this is accurate. Kits based on CRISPR-Cas9 can be bought by mail order for about $100. I don't think they should be sold, but they are (they operate on bacteria). Yes, to do anything at all human health related you need big startup bucks. But CRISPR potentially can do more than that. One reason that CRISPR interest has exploded is not only can it do incredible things (precisely cut and edit DNA strands) but also it is a relatively inexpensive and even somewhat technically easy thing to do.

I have a lot of ethical concern, but starter kits at very low prices are available right now to anyone. I am NOT promoting the idea these should even be for sale. This Scientific American article looks at both availability and ethical concerns.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...spr-kits-allow-absolutely-anyone-to-hack-dna/

•••
•••
Interesting emerging-tech thread...

I'm only holding a few names in the "gene" vertical (and nothing at all in Crispr), as I'm not too familiar with the tech:

(In dot-com) my names are -

GenomeTransplantation
GeneticPrinting
GenomicsForum
Gengineered

•••
Victoria is right to an extent.

I have been in this area for a few years (with Crispr domains) and have had NO offers for any.
Most I have dropped and sold at auction. Had crisprkit(s).com and tried to sell to the-odin but even he knew that direct navigation is dead and was totally uninterested. In most if not all respects, you have some Very intelligent people working in this field.

I have still have some genomics and synbio names but I think it will be a long time before I sell them for good prices.

Above All things, you have to remember that this tech is where computers and software were in the mid/late 70s. Its a long wait before this really gets going. Once quantum computing (still being developed) is in the picture then the synbio world will have its day and it will change Everything.

•••
Some other projections are a bit higher, but this detailed market analysis projects that CRISPR will grow from approximately 500 million USD in 2017 to about 8 billion USD by 2026. The report shows the major companies currently, as well as the areas that most activity will be in. May be helpful for those identifying good domain names and also leads for outbound inquiries.

https://www.inkwoodresearch.com/reports/global-crispr-market-forecast/

•••
If anyone is interested I have some synbio names on auction right now ending today.
See External Domain and Website Sales on namepros.

•••
Victoria is right to an extent.

I have been in this area for a few years (with Crispr domains) and have had NO offers for any.
Most I have dropped and sold at auction. Had crisprkit(s).com and tried to sell to the-odin but even he knew that direct navigation is dead and was totally uninterested. In most if not all respects, you have some Very intelligent people working in this field.

I agree @rcs1973 that so far sales of domain names in Gene Editing / CRISPR have been few and generally at not impressive amounts, except for CRISPR.com that apparent went for $25,000 plus. My point had been with respect to the impression that at least I got from @Victoria897 's post that only hugely funded companies can work in CRiSPR. Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your experiences trying to sell domain names in the field.

Interestingly the exact word DNA has only ever (on NameBio at least) sold 3 times, all in 2018 and twice this month (including yesterday). The two ngTLD are for smallish amounts (in .news and .life) but it sold in .io for $7022 earlier in the year which is an impressive sale even for .io.

Domains including the word "genetic" have sold 6 times (5 in .com) so far in 2018, with an average price of $1218.

No CRISPR sales so far in 2018, although I see that the .io in auction has bids with still some days to go.

Anyway, totally agree with your point that so far the names have not been lucrative to handle.

•••
Lots of great information in this thread!
Thanks All. I was hoping that a better EU ruling would have come out and also helped things. But unfortunately they went a different direction. (Using GMO regulations which is very innovation limiting in comparison to the FDA’s decision)
I’m liking the different possibilities though and am thinking the agriculture/Crop/seed/drug/health type gene domains will hopefully provide us some mid to big bucks in the next couple to several years! I recommend everyone look into it, even if only for gaining that personal knowledge. It really does get pretty fascinating

•••
I see that now less than 24 hr left in the Park io auction on CRISPR in the .io extension. Currently 8 bids and $355 price. Will be interesting to see what it ends at!

https://park.io/auctions/view/crispr.io

To my knowledge the only other exact acronym CRISPR sale was the .com at more than $25,000.

•••
•••
•••
It appears the exact match acronym CRISPR in .io sold for $509 at Park IO (14 bids).

https://park.io/auctions/view/crispr.io

Does anyone know of other sales of the exact match acronym CRISPR in other extensions? (other than the sale in .com for more than $25,000)?

•••
•••
That was me and I started this thread as well haha

Ended up just closing the appraisal one though, as the only informative response on it was from you anyway.

•••
I should have noticed who started the threads, @Alrightalright ! Anyway, it is great to have at least some discussion of genetic editing. While as a science it is already well established, I feel that in terms of domain names it is a bit early. Yes there are many research groups, and research oriented companies, and existing companies developing CRISPR expertise, but we have not yet got to the state of a large number of clinics etc. that are basically users of CRISPR but want to promote that in their domain name. I follow the scientific and ethical developments, and hope to be able to keep my domain names long enough to find sellers! Best of luck to you with yours as well.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back